MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now comes Ricky the third person in the truck that came to pick up Ryan's sister

How long was the conversation?
-3 - 5 minutes.
Talked about going in, said they wanted to go home.
SUV did not move, it was running, head & taillights, inside light was on.

Lally re-establishing the passenger side was facing the house.
She says Julie was in the house when the pulled away.
She observed the female in the driver’s seat of SUV when they pulled out.

She didn’t observe anything else.
The interior light was on. She did not observe another person in the car.

What time did you get back to Ryan’s?
-I don’t remember
Lally is done

Jackson is up.
Sept 1 2023 is the first time she was interviewed by law enforcement?
-correct
Do you know the name of the streets?
-no. I’m not familiar with Canton
She was in the middle seat in front. Between Ryan & Ricky.

Jackson asking how close the truck was to the SUV
She says 2 or 3 feet.
Brake lights were on.
Did you see a full sized Jeep with a snowplow?
- I did not
Your focus wasn’t on the SUV
- correct
Your focus was on Julie coming out?
-correct

She says they rolled their windows down to talk with Julie.
Is that possible!
-yes
Confirms conversion.
Jackson hasn’t been able to confirm that there was convo that Julie’s mom might come pick her up.

Maxon says she saw the female driver when they pulled out, the interior light was on.
Lally - would have seen a 6’ man walking out of the SUV?
Maxon- yes

Next witness is Ricky- Richard D’Antuono of Canton. He was the driver of the truck that Ryan & Heather were in.

@SueNBCBoston

Nagel testified that she had initially texted her brother, Ryan, to ask for a ride home from Albert’s birthday celebration. She said she looked out the window and noticed an SUV outside 34 Fairview Road before her brother arrived but denied seeing anyone get out of the SUV. Nagel said her brother pulled up to the house with a couple friends sometime after midnight, and she went outside to talk to them. When they declined to come inside and indicated they wanted to head home, she said she’d find another ride.
Thankyou! I was just re reading her testimony on here. I can't figure out what time Ryan is supposed to have arrived at the house. Do we know for sure given the intoxication level of bro and sis? Also their texts that would confirm a more precise time are deleted (?) and JMc was given a screen shot of them at some point by JN and then JMc deleted the screen shot. IIRC.Moo

It's just astonishing to me that LE didn't nail down any of these times digitally during what has passed for an investigation. Or perhaps State is not presenting any digital confirmation they actually have, as part of some strategy to keep the timeline vague.moo

@SueNBCBoston

Lally done.
Jackson back.
Tires to ask if she knew the State Police lab person failed a recent qualification. Objected sustained and stricken from the record.
Why are the failed qualifications of the State Police Lab person not allowed????

I hope this is brought up again, as a juror I believe it would be imperative to know if the state "professionals" actually have the required qualifications??

This makes it all the more interesting why she avoided Chloe that night. If she's a true "dog person" she'd at least try to greet Chloe, get in a few head scratches while Chloe passes by on her way to the back yard. I think Julie was afraid of Chloe.
Interesting that she noticed BA was very closely controlling and guiding ChloeTheNonHuman through a house of guests.

Lally establishing the type of pickup, type of interior.
Re-re-establishing they went to CF McCarthy’s, met Ryan & Heather.

Lally just slowly establishing the route he drove to Fairview.
This is the third time we’ve been over this, and the jury looks a little bored.
There are some inconsistencies in these testimonies.
-where Heather sat
- if Julie talked to them thru the window or door

- how close the truck was to the SUV.
- the convo was 2 minutes, or 5 minutes
Back to the testimony.

D’Antuono did not see the SUV move.
He did not see anyone get out of the vehicle, or go into the vehicle.
Lally is going to put a few photographs on the screen.
D’Antuono has the laser pointer.
It’s Fairview.
He is indicating where his truck was, and where the SUV was.

Lally is done.
Yannetti is up for the cross.
Establishing he knows Julie Nagel.
Do you know what time you got there?
-about midnight
You now know that you were behind Karen Read’s SUV
- didn’t know then
You didn’t hear arguing outside the SUV?
- correct

Yannetti establishing that D’Antuono was not interviewed until May 2023
-The prosecution & defense were not at that hearing.
Yannetti asking if your memory was freshest on Jan 29?
-correct
Yannetti slowly counting out the 16 months it took for someone to interview him.

Not this prosecution or defense.
Judge calls a sidebar.

@SueNBCBoston

@BienickWCVB

D'Antuono doesn't remember the vehicle moving while they were there. Says as they pulled away, he looked in rear view mirror then in front of him.

12:20 PM · May 15, 2024

Under cross-examination by Yannetti, D'Antuono agrees he never saw the SUV strike someone, never heard arguing.

D'Antuono doesn't remember seeing SUV at the intersection as they arrived, says it was already parked in front of the house. They pulled up 10-20 yards behind the SUV. Taillights or brake lights were on. Didn't see anyone get out of the SUV.

D'Antuono says Ryan's sister Julie came out and Ryan talked to her through the passenger side window, says the door was not open.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members