MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023

Good morning from day 4 of the jury selection process for the #KarenRead trial.Follow this thread for updates from the courtroom.

Welcome to new followers of this account.I am a political & pop culture commentator with
@NBC10Boston & @necn. I’m a lifelong resident of Greater Boston (except for 90 days in NYC).I lived in Canton for about 10 years about 8 years ago.

I have been acquainted with a couple of people on the witness list, but have not interacted with them since leaving Canton.I have reviewed some of the evidence available.I do not have an opinion on the case.

I’ll post what I see happening during the selection process today. Numbers may be amended as new information becomes available or is confirmed.

Please watch“Canton Confidential, The Karen Read Trial” every night at 7p on @NBC10Boston @NECN or our digital & streaming platforms for a wrap up and expert commentary on the day’s events.

Defense & #karenread are at the defense table.

Court officer has a ladder out and is manually adjusting the hands on the massive clock behind the judge’s bench. It says 9:15, but it’s 9:20.

Officer is off the ladder. Clock is still 5 minutes behind.Prosecution has entered the courtroom.

The defense and #karenread are reviewing a document.

A reminder that 12 jurors have been picked. 4 more to go.

The defense team & #KarenRead continue to have a very focused, quiet conversation.

The judge has entered, court called to order, greeting all around, Judge calls a sidebar for all counsel.91 potential jurors have entered the courtroom. They are sworn in.

Again, a very diverse pool by all observable characteristics.

The sidebar was regarding “impaneling issues”.A reminder that on Friday defense filed a motion about the jury box saying “the courtroom seating arrangements, as presently situated,…

…would violate Ms. Read’s constitutional right to confrontation because numerous members of the jury will be unable to observe the faces of the witnesses who testify against her at trial.”

The judge is reading the witness list to the potential jury pool.

At 91, I believe this is the largest jury pool so far.

Members of the media received an additional media credential at check in today.

The judge is about to ask the pool the standard questions.

In response to the verbal questions “do you, or any of your close friend or family…”Know or had dealings with witnesses:18 of 91 raise hands.

Know or had dealings with defense, prosecution, DA’s office:4 of 91 raise hands.

Have a financial or personal interest in case:Know or had dealings with witnesses:0 of 91 raise hands.

Seen, heard, or talked about the case:78 of 91 raise hands.

Expressed or formed an opinion about the case:32 of 91 raise hands.

Have a bias in favor or against:17 of 91 raise hands.All of these numbers by my count.

Judge has left the bench.Jury pool is completing written questionnaire.

I’m wondering what the “impaneling issues” were that the judge discussed with the lawyers.Did they lose any seated jurors over the weekend?

The completed questionnaires have been collected.Court officers checking that they have them all.Next step is copies for counsel & judge, and then review.

@SueNBCBoston
PM updates:

The defense & prosecution just received their copies of the completed juror questionnaires.As in prior days, #KarenRead is reviewing her’s with a highlighter.If the court sticks to previous procedure, each juror will be called, in order of their juror #, for a sidebar interview

Court is back in session.Jurors being called for their sidebar interviews.

In a new filing, prosecution says defense has made insufficient showing as to why DA Morrisey should testify in this case.

And the Commonwealth responds to the defense jury box motion.“Norfolk Superior Court was built in 1827 and criminal trials have beenconducted in the main session courtroom, with substantially the same set-up, for over onehundred years.”

“Given the defendant's objection, the Commonwealth offers another alternative, that the trial be conducted in courtroom 25 of the Norfolk Superior Court.”

Jury selection trudging along.Looks like about 70 of the 91 still awaiting their sidebar interview.Defense has conferred with #KarenRead at least twice regarding whether to impanel a juror. Read has been involved in her team’s selection process each session.

About 50 of the 91 jurors still awaiting the their sidebar interview.

Some jurors are dismissed quickly, others go through several rounds of questioning from the judge, defense, and prosecution. Some are then asked to sit while each side considers the candidate.It’s a painstaking process but very important to both sides.

Another vigorous, long interview that ended with “You’re excused,”

About 28 left in the pool.About 8 spectators have been allowed in to watch the process.

About 18 left now.Uncertain how many jurors have been seated or are needed.

Defense team conferring with #KarenRead around this juror.

Another defense conference with #KarenRead over a juror..Just 12 left in the pool.

Correction on earlier post:13 said they had a bias, not 17.

We are now down to the final 5 jury interviews of the day.

Another defense conference with #karenRead. Another juror excused.
Followed by a quick excusal.And now there are 2 left in the pool.

They’ve chosen 19 jurors, but may come back on Wednesday.

We expected 16 jurors.At one point it appeared to me they hit the number, then the judge said, and I’m paraphrasing, we can continue if you want.

The goal is to get to 20, according to defense, so they can get a solid 16 jurors.20 will be pared down to 16.They do not have a solid 16

No court on Tuesday. Jury selection resumes on Wednesday. Expectation that opening statements will happen on a week from today. Some of the jurors chosen have expressed concern regarding hardship issues.

Court is adjourned for the day

@SueNBCBoston

Some of the seated jurors have expressed hardships that need to be explored according to defense

19 Jurors have been chosen in the Karen Read case but they want to keep selecting on Wednesday. According to the clerk, they “think they may have problems” with some of the people selected over last 4 days . He didn’t elaborate. 16 is no longer the number!

There will be no empanelment Tuesday according to the clerk.

@TedDanielnews

Opening statements set in Karen Read murder trial as court tries to finalize jury pool

DEDHAM, Mass. — Opening statements are now set to happen in one week in the Karen Read murder trial as the court continues trying to finalize the jury pool.

19 Jurors have been chosen in the Karen Read case but they want to keep selecting on Wednesday. According to the clerk, they “think they may have problems” with some of the people selected over the last 4 days.

Prosecutors propose alternative to moving jury box in Karen Read murder trial, new filing shows

Follow Ted Daniel’s live updates from the courtroom:

April 22, 2024 at 4:47 pm EDT

@cathyrusson

Karen Read update: As of yesterday they have 19 jurors. Court is dark today. Tomorrow jury selection will resume. Judge has indicated she'd like to get to 20 with eventually seating 16. (12 plus 4 alternates). We could see openings Thursday or Monday (no court Friday, it appears).

1713882201913.png1713882215257.png
10:13 AM · Apr 23, 2024

Still catching up on this case.
I was thinking the same thing, wouldn't dog saliva (and maybe dog blood) have coated his arm with ample DNA to test?

I reviewed the autopsy photos and compared them to forensic dog bite images. I have to say, they look very similar to me. I guess the canines are usually the most prominent injuries because an arm is a cylindrical surface. They look like pairs of puncture wounds with trail marks, all in the same direction. They could measure the distance between the canine marks left on the victim and compare it to the dogs mouth measurements.

If the dog is not around anymore, they can't cast the dogs teeth and match it to the injuries.
Do we know if they tested for dog saliva/canine blood on the arms of the deceased? Not sure what areas of his body were swabbed for evidence.

My opinion only, most likely, it's not a popular opinion; however, she is a happy defendant. I'm guessing its all the support she is receiving. Curious if her demeanor changes come trial.
I don't find her a likeable defendant but her demeanor or likeability to me has no impact on whether she is guilty or not.
It will be interesting to see what unfolds as the trial moves forward. I cannot imagine from what I have read locally and in msm that the verdict will be guilty. There just is no evidence for that IMO. If by some phenom she does get found guilty - there is a list of appealable items already, IMO, thanks to the Judge on the case, who IMO from what I have read, should have recused herself due to her relationships.
ALL JMO

Do we know if they tested for dog saliva/canine blood on the arms of the deceased? Not sure what areas of his body were swabbed for evidence.
His body was not swabbed and no tissue samples were taken from the arm.
My understanding is shirt was swabbed much later on and tested for canine DNA and the prosecution says the results were negative.

I don't find her a likeable defendant but her demeanor or likeability to me has no impact on whether she is guilty or not.
It will be interesting to see what unfolds as the trial moves forward. I cannot imagine from what I have read locally and in msm that the verdict will be guilty. There just is no evidence for that IMO. If by some phenom she does get found guilty - there is a list of appealable items already, IMO, thanks to the Judge on the case, who IMO from what I have read, should have recused herself due to her relationships.
ALL JMO

The prosecution has evidence that it claims will support their arguments. Taillight pieces at scene and in John's clothing, witnesses who claim Karen said "I hit him!" when the body was found, and evidence that she was drunk. They'll also try to make Read out to be a villain with poor character.

The problem for the prosecution is the incredibly poor investigation and evidence handling and the fact that the lead State Trooper lied to a state grand jury about his relationships with key players. The defense shouldn't have any problem showing reasonable doubt.

So when she gets off, then what? My guess is that, unfortunately, nothing more will happen.

http://CantonCommunityTV.orgcontinues this morning (April 24 ) with the Karen Read case. CCTv is in court. Jury selection will continue this morning. No pool camera allowed during the questioning process. No streaming. Updates on X. Video as soon as it’s available, if any, today.

continues this morning (April 24 ) with the Karen Read case. CCTv is in court. Jury selection will continue this morning. No pool camera allowed during the questioning process. No streaming. Updates on X. Video as soon as it’s available, if any, today.

Good morning from another day of jury selection for the #KarenRead trial.I will be posting live from the courtroom today, so follow this thread @NBC10Boston @NECN

Court for #KarenRead was dark yesterday, but Aidan Kearney, the controversial blogger known as "Turtleboy," appeared in court l for a pre-trial hearing in connection with the murder case against Karen Read.

You can catch up here:

When we were last here, 19 jurors were impaneled. The original goal was 16, but, according to the defense, they didn’t have a solid 16, with some expressing hardship concerns, so the judge decided to choose 20, in order to get to a solid 16.

For a refresher on what happened Monday, and for info on some of the motions before the court, you can watch here:

A slower start than usual to court this morning. Reports that there is activity outside.I am inside the courthouse.

Reports that #KarenRead was verbally heckled on her way into the courthouse.Only one member of the defense team is on the courthouse, no members of the prosecution.

The defense team and #KarenRead have entered the courtroom.

@SueNBCBoston

Good morning from the main session at Norfolk Superior where jury selection will resume in the Commonwealth vs. Karen Read.

-As of Monday, 1 more juror was needed but the judge was still reviewing requests from people who had been selected the week before who asked to back out for hardships.

-There are a few outstanding motions including if DA Morrissey will testify, if the jury box will be moved, if the Bode labs DNA test results will be allowed.

-The full SJC is considering if the buffer zone put in place to shield jurors from outside influences is constitutional.

-Opening statements are scheduled for Monday

Judge Cannone says she "will consider" moving the trial to the courtroom next door. She says courtroom is smaller and only press and participants would fit

The defense had argued some of the jurors would not be able to see witnesses face to face based on the way the current courtroom is configured

The prosecution proposed moving to the courtroom next door as an alternative

Good morning from another day of jury selection for the #KarenRead trial.I will be posting live from the courtroom today, so follow this thread @NBC10Boston @NECN

Court for #KarenRead was dark yesterday, but Aidan Kearney, the controversial blogger known as "Turtleboy," appeared in court l for a pre-trial hearing in connection with the murder case against Karen Read.

You can catch up here:

When we were last here, 19 jurors were impaneled. The original goal was 16, but, according to the defense, they didn’t have a solid 16, with some expressing hardship concerns, so the judge decided to choose 20, in order to get to a solid 16.

For a refresher on what happened Monday, and for info on some of the motions before the court, you can watch here:

A slower start than usual to court this morning. Reports that there is activity outside.I am inside the courthouse.

Reports that #KarenRead was verbally heckled on her way into the courthouse.Only one member of the defense team is on the courthouse, no members of the prosecution.

The defense team and #KarenRead have entered the courtroom.

@SueNBCBoston
Continues...

The defense team is engaging in less chit chat than prior mornings.

I just watched footage of #KarenRead leaving her vehicle & entering the courthouse this morning, where she was heckled & trailed. She’s been exiting the car around the corner from the entrance & walking to the entrance each day. Will be interesting to see if that continues.

Prosecution has entered the courtroom.

Judge enters. Court called to order.Firm conclusion…on jury box issue, paraphrasing: this courtroom doesn’t violate the defendant’s rights.Judge will move court to smaller courtroom, though.

Sidebar now on a juror issue.

The judge noted that other courtroom would only be able to allow press, family and a small number of spectators due to its size.

Note she presented this as “will consider” a move.

Courts on recess, jury will be brought in.Defense continued to confer with prosecutor after judge left.

Defense & #KarenRead still talking. Karen reviewed her handwritten notes. They are pointing to jury box again.

85 jurors, by my count, have entered the courtroom. The judge was not present, so court was still in recess. Nonetheless, #KarenRead & defense stood facing the jury as they entered.

Court called into session.Another sidebar with lawyers. Judge thanks jurors for their patience.

@SueNBCBoston

It looks like a juror was called to the sidebar, but not from today’s pool.He was was there for a moment then left.Unclear if he is a new juror or one already picked.

Another person is in the sidebar with the judge & counsel.He did not come from the existing pool.

A reminder that the defense reported on Monday that although 19 jurors had been selected, the judge did not feel there were a solid 16.

Now a third person has a quick discussion in the sidebar, also not from today’s pool.She leaves as quickly as she enters.

And now a fourth person enters the sidebar conversation.She is also not from today’s seared pool.

And she leaves the sidebar.Exiting, like the others, through the door she entered, on the judge’s right.

@SueNBCBoston

The fourth person returns to the sidebar after both defense & prosecution spoke with judge.

She leaves. And she returns again.And she leaves.

#KarenRead is revisited and paperwork as this process happens.

Now a fifth person joins the sidebar.And leaves.Also not from today’s seared jury pool.

The obvious questions…were these 5 jurors impaneled and looking to be excused due to hardship, or were they answering questions about new info discovered? Or something else?

Today’s potential jurors have been sworn in. The judge is explaining the charges, and the law, as usual.The jury pool is, again, diverse by all observable characteristics.

The judge is reading the witness list to the jury pool.

@SueNBCBoston

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gentlegirl