MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023

The completed questionnaires have been collected. Next step is copying & collating. Then counsel & judge will review each questionnaire. Each juror will be called up according to juror # and interviewed at the sidebar.

We started the day thinking only one juror was needed to get to the 20 target.That seems uncertain now.A reminder, we in the press cannot hear the sidebar interviews clearly, and are not informed about who is chosen and who is excused, unless it said loudly.

@SueNBCBoston

@SueNBCBoston updates continue...

The completed questionnaires have been collected. Next step is copying & collating. Then counsel & judge will review each questionnaire. Each juror will be called up according to juror # and interviewed at the sidebar.

We started the day thinking only one juror was needed to get to the 20 target.That seems uncertain now.A reminder, we in the press cannot hear the sidebar interviews clearly, and are not informed about who is chosen and who is excused, unless it said loudly.

Copies of the completed and collated juror questionnaires have been delivered to the defense & prosecution. They are reviewing them. #KarenRead is again using a highlighter.

Another reporter's perspective:

The jury selection process in the #KarenRead trial continues. On day 5 of jury selection, a pool of 85 is here. This could be quick today as we've been told by attorney Alan Jackson the Judge is just looking for one more to get to 20. 19 have been tentatively seated.

Some jurors may be "iffy" due to personal issues or hardships so we can consider these 20 jurors to be a mini pool with room for four to be excused prior to the opening statements.

Cannone is at sidebar with the 6 lawyers, 3 for K Read, two representing the Commonwealth. Static plays through speakers so we do not hear their low volume convo.

I saw one member of today's jury pool wearing what looked like a coat with a police badge on the front. I don't expect him to be deliberating Karen Read's fate.

The Judge reads a long list of potential witnesses. Many are police officers. Next she says the trial will last 6-8 weeks. Cannone describes legal principles.

Next Judge Cannone will verbally ask the jury pool a series of questions...including whether they know those witnesses or if people close to them do.

And she will ask if they have formed an opinion, or a bias...or if they have heard of the case. (this one is usually a big number of hands going up)

Of 85 in the pool: 7 know witnesses, 60 have heard about the case, 28 have developed an opinion on the Read case, 7 say they are biased, and 38 say serving on this jury would be a "substantial hardship”

Jurors are now filling out a two page written questionnaire. It asks questions like whether they have participated in a pro-police or anti-police rally. Also opinions on drunk driving.

1713973285015.png

@JHall7news

@SueNBCBoston updates continue...

Copies of the completed and collated juror questionnaires have been delivered to the defense & prosecution. They are reviewing them. #KarenRead is again using a highlighter.
Jury Selection (Day 5) continues:

The judge has returned. It’s 12:01pmSidebar conference with attorneys.

They have called their first juror for interviews. Two people have gone up together. Looks like the juror is immediately excused.

The 5th person called up from the pool to the sidebar is being interviewed at length.

Still with the same potential juror. Again, we won’t be informed if they’re chosen, but there are some process & body language tells that Bing at the result.

Defense has returned to the table to consult with #KarenRead The potential juror sits waiting.

All counsel & judge meeting at sidebar.Potential juror looks to be excused.

Another juror was interviewed, but seems to have been dismissed. Defense conferring with #KarenRead

This jury pool has had a few more folks chatting , at lease near our media box. Hearing lots of regret about not having breakfast, and dashed expectation that they would be done by 11am.

Lawyers, judge, clerk and officer are having a lot of discussion at the sidebar with no potential juror.

7 jurors called up and quickly leave.

2 up and out.Group now interviewing juror.

She appeared to be excused.Another juror is being interviewed.

He is excused. Another is called and leaves quickly.

After a quick interview, a juror is excused.Note: sometimes we can hear the judge.About 73 left in the pool, out of about 85.

@SueNBCBoston

The prosecution has evidence that it claims will support their arguments. Taillight pieces at scene and in John's clothing, witnesses who claim Karen said "I hit him!" when the body was found, and evidence that she was drunk. They'll also try to make Read out to be a villain with poor character.

The problem for the prosecution is the incredibly poor investigation and evidence handling and the fact that the lead State Trooper lied to a state grand jury about his relationships with key players. The defense shouldn't have any problem showing reasonable doubt.

So when she gets off, then what? My guess is that, unfortunately, nothing more will happen.
The prosecution claims a lot of things and as you state the D should have no trouble showing reasonable doubt.
I don’t know that JO’s family will ever know for sure what happened that night bc of all the obfuscation, layering of lie upon lie and appearance of a cover up and as importantly the black out drinking that night. Yes Karen Read was drunk apparently but so were all the other people at the after hours house party.
To me this investigation was more than just shoddy it was meant to point at only one person.
Too many missteps . Why? All these people claiming not to know each other - ooops - easy to catch u in that one. No sanctions on the prosecution for very very late discovery to the D. Just blatant transparent bs.
When I read about the missteps of a few of the Canton LE ( sure let’s destroy our phones) it seems bizarre.
If I am on the jury
-I need the P to show me how his injuries were consistent with her vehicle hitting him and why the fbi came to a different conclusion
- I need to hear from the plow driver on the stand about his two turns by the house/ hopefully he does not fall out a window before then
-I want to hear from someone under oath about the bad blood between the victim and the teens who were supposedly harassing him. The very same teens at the house that night
-why the google search at 2 am ish how long for a body to freeze ( this person can tell us what happened btw)
That’s just the start.
The P says Karen and JO fought. The P says JO was going to break up with her. Sounds like a relationship fraught with drama. Imo nothing to do with his death.
With the astronomical amount of booze consumed and the make up of the parties attendees iirc with their past tensions, that party was a disaster waiting to happen.
And as far as the rehoused/ rehomed dog - that was the dog in the house where the teenage boy lived iirc. Guess who the dog is going after if there is a fight with JO. That dog is protecting the kid.
TLDR - nothing that has not been said before
Just my opinions.

And there's more...

@SueNBCBoston
The next person is being interviewed.

Juror waits to the side, defense conferring with #KarenRead

He’s excused.

Someone has come in from the back for a quick sidebar and leaves. No idea what that was about.Next, a woman is excused.

A man is up and out quickly.Next person being interviewed by the judge.

While we wait…I’ve been in courtrooms, but not regularly. I’m struck by how inhospitable this courtroom is — and most are —to seniors, folks with disabilities (of all sorts), and just about everyone.

Forcing some of these folks to sit on hard benches for up to 5 house, then the physically awkward sidebar interview process..can’t we make this more friendly to our citizens serving their civic duty?

It looks like they may have impaneled a juror. Again, no confirmation & speculation on my part.

Next juror is interviewed, now waiting to the side.#KarenRead & defense team conferring.

Speculation, looks like another juror is picked.By my guess, that’s 2 so far today.The target at the start of the day was 1 additional juror.

And while the furniture & setup of the court is inhospitable, the staff has been warm, helpful & friendly.

After a lengthy interview & defense meeting, the next juror is excused.

About 48 left in the jury pool.

Couple of quick interviews, two up and out. All excused.

A few more up and out.

Last edited:
I know people involved in the case. I know police officers in Canton, the adjacent towns, and in Boston. Teachers, small business owners, former colleagues, family, friends. And everyone I know will tell you the same story. We grew up all intertwined and co-mingled.

A lot of people don't realize how small and tight knit Boston and the 'Greater Boston' area actually is.

IMO If they can sit any juror who's never heard about this case anywhere east of Worcester I'll be surprised. They will likely have to lower the bar and settle.

And as 'Good Will Hunting' showed us...you grow up in this area, you typically die of old age in this area. I bucked the trend and now live on the other side of the country but I can still here the buzz of the case from here.

MOO

And there's more...

@SueNBCBoston
The next person is being interviewed.

Juror waits to the side, defense conferring with #KarenRead

He’s excused.

Someone has come in from the back for a quick sidebar and leaves. No idea what that was about.Next, a woman is excused.

A man is up and out quickly.Next person being interviewed by the judge.

While we wait…I’ve been in courtrooms, but not regularly. I’m struck by how inhospitable this courtroom is — and most are —to seniors, folks with disabilities (of all sorts), and just about everyone.

Forcing some of these folks to sit on hard benches for up to 5 house, then the physically awkward sidebar interview process..can’t we make this more friendly to our citizens serving their civic duty?

It looks like they may have impaneled a juror. Again, no confirmation & speculation on my part.

Next juror is interviewed, now waiting to the side.#KarenRead & defense team conferring.

Speculation, looks like another juror is picked.By my guess, that’s 2 so far today.The target at the start of the day was 1 additional juror.

And while the furniture & setup of the court is inhospitable, the staff has been warm, helpful & friendly.

After a lengthy interview & defense meeting, the next juror is excused.

About 48 left in the jury pool.

Couple of quick interviews, two up and out. All excused.

A few more up and out.
Remaining posts for today....

After a series of apparently quick excusals, an interview and now a defense conference with -#KarenRead

Speculation: looks like this juror is being impaneled.

About 28 left in the pool.One juror now being interviewed.

Same juror being interviewed.Judge now asking her questions.Juror is seated again to the side.Judge speaking to counsel.Defense conferring without #KarenRead

Judge directly questions potential juror, who then sits to the side while counsel & judge discuss.Potential juror leaves.

After lengthy interview, I’m speculating that another juror has been impaneled.

Another lengthy interview.Prosecution conferring in a corner.Defense didn’t confer with #KarenRead The person was excused.

This jury pool is definitely eliciting more laughs during their interviews from the counsel & judge than the prior pool.

Speculating that another juror has been picked.Defense & prosecution return to tables.Then return for another sidebar.Then back to seats.

Court is adjournedRemaining pool dismissed.

Defense says court lost 5 jurors this morning.Gained 5 today.At 19 jurors.No more jury selection, according to defense.They have more jurors than needed, the judge wants 16.

That's it for today on this thread. Please watch "Canton Confidential: The #KarenRead Trial" tonight at 7p on
@NBC10Boston @NECN & all of our streaming & digital platforms, including http://nbcboston.com and youtube, for expert analysis of today. Thanks for following along.

Breaking: A jury has been seated in the Karen Read murder trial. It took 5 days and hundreds of candidates to pick the jury. They have a long road ahead.

2:30 PM · Apr 24, 2024

Jury still needs to be sworn. Not sure when that will happen. Motions tomorrow will begin at 10am

2:35 PM · Apr 24, 2024

@TedDanielnews

@CantonCommunity

Court is recessed until tomorrow at 10am when motions will be addressed. Told Court has the number of needed jurors. Still in the large room tomorrow. The problem with the courtroom layout is that jurors cannot see the witnesses faces. Maybe part of tomorrow’s motion discussion.

3:23 PM · Apr 24, 2024

The prosecution claims a lot of things and as you state the D should have no trouble showing reasonable doubt.
I don’t know that JO’s family will ever know for sure what happened that night bc of all the obfuscation, layering of lie upon lie and appearance of a cover up and as importantly the black out drinking that night. Yes Karen Read was drunk apparently but so were all the other people at the after hours house party.
To me this investigation was more than just shoddy it was meant to point at only one person.
I agree. The wagons were circled quickly.

But I don't think we're going to see as much third party culprit evidence as we might like during the trial. Which is why I think some/most of the jurors may be more likely to see this as a botched investigation that was too badly compromised to convict Read.

I am very interested in seeing this trial play out. I have been trying to shield myself by being spoiled by too much outside information, but I must admit I still am a bit tainted and have ideas. I am going to do my best to allow myself to be open minded and see how the process plays out. With what I know about the case, the biggest question to me is why not just go with the "it was an accident" theory if this is a coverup. Everyone walks away. But, we will see what happens!

Been feeling so bad for the loved ones of John O'Keefe. Had to let go of the hope (a while ago) that the circus would stop... it only gets worse. Let justice be served. All my thoughts and opinion only!

This is from yesterday:

Karen Read arrives to Norfolk Superior Court for another day of jury selection in the murder trial. Some tense moments as she entered, one man repeatedly called her a “cop killer.”

The judge presiding over the high-profile Karen Read murder trial will hear motions on Thursday.

DEDHAM, Mass. — The judge presiding over the high-profile Karen Read murder trial will hear motions on Thursday, one day after a pool of hundreds of jurors was whittled down to a 19-person jury.

Boston 25 News will stream the motions live beginning at 10 a.m.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alafair
Back