MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023

#TODAY: Final motions will be heard at 10 am — setting the stage for Monday’s opening statements in the Karen Read murder trial. DNA evidence, courtroom layout, and a buffer zone around Norfolk County Superior all up for discussion. We’ll have the latest from court @boston25

I heard about this case when it happened but tend to ditch the story till it gets further along. I'm now getting caught up for Monday's Opening Statements. I've gone through and read a lot of theories from everyone, it's a really interesting situation. I just watched the "backup" camera that the Defense is saying shows her hit the other car which explains the damage to her car. I didn't see anything that indicated the other car had moved, but I'm curious. What was the extent of the damage to her car? Are there any photos?

Was the damage only a broken taillight? From what I read the victim was quite beat up, I couldn't imagine the only damage to the car to be a broken taillight if that was what hit him.

@BienickWCVB

#KarenRead Good morning. Jury selection is complete. A hearing is about to begin for several pending motions, including whether to move the trial to a smaller courtroom. We also plan to learn how the judge will cut down current roster of 19 jurors to 16 before openings on Monday.

10:08 AM · Apr 25, 2024

Good morning from Norfolk Superior ct where jury selection was completed yesterday in the #karenreadtrial Today Judge Cannone plans to hear motions filed by each side in the second degree murder case. Quite a few are pending. Also which courtroom will be used is in question.

We are waiting on the Judge. All the lawyers and Read are seated and ready for this 10 am hearing. Family members of both Read and victim John O'Keefe are in the courtroom as well.

Read's dad is seated in the front row on one side behind the defense table, O'Keefe's Mom and brother are on the other side of the courtroom in the front row

With what I know about the case, the biggest question to me is why not just go with the "it was an accident" theory if this is a coverup. Everyone walks away. But, we will see what happens!
There are multiple counts against Read, including manslaughter and second degree murder. If you are suggesting she should be offered a plea on the manslaughter only, she'd be pleading guilty to a felony and probably still do some prison time, although not nearly as much if she was found guilty of murder. If you were innocent and had already spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on your defense, would you take that deal? Sincere question.

Good morning from Norfolk Superior ct where jury selection was completed yesterday in the #karenreadtrial Today Judge Cannone plans to hear motions filed by each side in the second degree murder case. Quite a few are pending. Also which courtroom will be used is in question.

We are waiting on the Judge. All the lawyers and Read are seated and ready for this 10 am hearing. Family members of both Read and victim John O'Keefe are in the courtroom as well.

Read's dad is seated in the front row on one side behind the defense table, O'Keefe's Mom and brother are on the other side of the courtroom in the front row

Read has motions pending to exclude evidence of prior bad acts on her part, and to sanction prosecutors and exclude evidence not turned over in discovery in a timely manner. Among others.

Commonwealth has motions pending to ban evidence relating to prior negative conduct by the victim or witnesses in the case. They want experts banned from testifying about studies or anecdotal experiences.

DA also wants judge to bar defense from referencing the federal investigation into police conduct in this case.

There are multiple counts against Read, including manslaughter and second degree murder. If you are suggesting she should be offered a plea on the manslaughter only, she'd be pleading guilty to a felony and probably still do some prison time, although not nearly as much if she was found guilty of murder. If you were innocent and had already spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on your defense, would you take that deal? Sincere question.
I would take the plea deal if all the evidence points towards me. Manslaughter is a lighter sentence than 2nd-degree murder. It's what you can prove in a court of law and if a jury believes the accident theory. Vehicular manslaughter is a method commonly used by female perpetrators specifically in DV cases.

Motions: not to mention Turtleboy. Agreed. Unless if it comes up by a witness

Continue regarding motions: regarding not to mention FBI investigation is allowed. (Can come up under cross)

Regarding view: defendant will not be present at view of home.

Discussion on media stories as evidence, length etc

Regarding Milton State police barracks video. Aspects are acceptable.

Judge is concerned about discovery. Commonwealth seeks information on expert testimony by defense. Crash experts are mechanical engineers. Is there reports/ clarifications as to what they’ll testify to.

Judge is says material should have been given to the prosecution. Defense says they complied within 24 hours of receiving certificate of discovery compliance.

Judge says defense needs to supply the prosecutors with reports. Defense says they’ll use the same material as the prosecutors crash analysis. Get together and provide needed information. Judge says federal report was vague as to who did what.

I would take the plea deal if all the evidence points towards me. Manslaughter is a lighter sentence than 2nd-degree murder. It's what you can prove in a court of law and if a jury believes the accident theory. Vehicular manslaughter is a method commonly used by female perpetrators specifically in DV cases.
I think most people would, if all the evidence pointed to them. The issue here is the state's evidence so far appears to be weak or severely tainted. And the FBI has provided the defense with at least one biomechanical expert who will testify there is no way the deceased was hit by a car. On the other hand, the Commonwealth does not seem to have a reasonable explanation for how one can back up into a pedestrian on a curved residential street at low speed with witnesses coming and going and knock him 12 feet sideways, simultaneously causing arm lacerations, a deep wound at the back of the skull and bilateral fist bruising. The mechanics simply don't make sense.

No, I am saying that if it was a cover up, it would have been much easier for the cops to go along with the idea that she had accidentally hit him. She said she saw him going towards the house, they could have said he must have went back for something and she didn't realize it/didn't see him. There wouldn't be charges for a genuine accident, one that is unavoidable. She is walking around wondering if she hit him, several people said she said "I hit him." Accident is an easy out versus planting tail light glass around/on the body and framing an innocent person who is OBVIOUSLY going to fight tooth and nail for their freedom.

@BienickWCVB

#KarenRead Good morning. Jury selection is complete. A hearing is about to begin for several pending motions, including whether to move the trial to a smaller courtroom. We also plan to learn how the judge will cut down current roster of 19 jurors to 16 before openings on Monday.

10:08 AM · Apr 25, 2024
#KarenRead Judge starts going through laundry list of motions. She will allow John O'Keefe's autopsy photos to be shown but will redact the manner of death from his death certificate. Neither party will make any reference to ongoing federal investigations.

#KarenRead Both parties have agreed not to ask questions about pending witness intimidation chargers against blogger Aidan Kearney, AKA Turtleboy. Judge says she disagrees and says if witnesses bring it up "spontaneously", testimony will be allowed.

#KarenRead Judge says defense will be allowed to present 3rd-party defense, ie that someone else killed John O'Keefe, but not during opening arguments.

I think most people would, if all the evidence pointed to them. The issue here is the state's evidence so far appears to be weak or severely tainted. And the FBI has provided the defense with at least one biomechanical expert who will testify there is no way the deceased was hit by a car. On the other hand, the Commonwealth does not seem to have a reasonable explanation for how one can back up into a pedestrian on a curved residential street at low speed with witnesses coming and going and knock him 12 feet sideways, simultaneously causing arm lacerations, a deep wound at the back of the skull and bilateral fist bruising. The mechanics simply don't make sense.
Very true. His injuries don't make sense if he was hit by a slow-moving car. The commonwealth needs concrete evidence to get a conviction because the burden of proof is in their hands. What other theories do you have?

Motions: not to mention Turtleboy. Agreed. Unless if it comes up by a witness

Continue regarding motions: regarding not to mention FBI investigation is allowed. (Can come up under cross)

Regarding view: defendant will not be present at view of home.

Discussion on media stories as evidence, length etc

Regarding Milton State police barracks video. Aspects are acceptable.

Judge is concerned about discovery. Commonwealth seeks information on expert testimony by defense. Crash experts are mechanical engineers. Is there reports/ clarifications as to what they’ll testify to.

Judge is says material should have been given to the prosecution. Defense says they complied within 24 hours of receiving certificate of discovery compliance.

Judge says defense needs to supply the prosecutors with reports. Defense says they’ll use the same material as the prosecutors crash analysis. Get together and provide needed information. Judge says federal report was vague as to who did what.

Judge want to know what chalks will be put up in openings. 45 minutes for openings. Neither will use chalk.

Prosecutor will object to specific questions.

Objection to “anecdotal experience” of experts isn’t clear what that is to the defense but clear to judge.

Commonwealth introduce evidence witnesses that he intended to end the relationship as well as texts. Children will testify to this. Hears her being asked to leave the house. She refuses. Allowed.

#KarenRead Judge will allow prosecutors to show text messages from John O'Keefe about his plans to break up with Read. O'Keefe's niece and nephew, who lived with him, will testify about couple's relationship problems.

#KarenRead Prosecutors want niece and nephew to testify about a "20-minute screaming match" they witnessed in a hotel room during a trip to Aruba.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alafair
Back