MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why I think it was not a police conspiracy? Well, that PD has lost a lot. And apparently, they were previously mentioned in local news in a very favorable way.

Could it be a SODDI case? Quite possible.
I had to look up "Some Other Dude Did It".

I don't think the local news is always the best judge of police integrity.

Lally says a cell phone is used to search internet for how long it takes for a person to die in the cold. He says jurors will hear dispute about when that search was made.

Lally says hospital staff from Good Samaritan will testify.

Lally says jurors will hear about O'Keefe and Read's family trip to Aruba. A woman who knows O'Keefe says Read began yelling and swearing at her in the lobby. Lally says niece and nephew witnessed "20-minute screaming match" in hotel room.

Lally says Read sent "amorous" text messages to another man insisting O'Keefe was cheating on her.

Lally says phone records will show Read first started driving toward Fairview Road before going to McCabe's house.

Lally says investigators will testify that SUV's data will show it traveled in reverse at approximately 24.2 mph while in front of the house.

Lally says a sneaker and piece of taillight are discovered in part of the front yard. Says a cocktail glass was found on rear bumper of SUV, along with a human hair.

@BienickWCVB

I thought that DA Lally's opening statement was just terrible. I know this case pretty well but I found it really hard to follow him. I kept zoning out. Too many names and irrelevant details all delivered in a monotone. This could be a littering case, for all the passion he shows.

I'm curious what those who are coming into this trial cold think so far.

bbm
Prosecutor Adam Lally walks up to the lectern facing the jury and begins his opening statement.

Lally says he intends to provide a road map of the case. He begins by talking about the life of victim John O'Keefe, including how he took custody of his young niece and nephew after their parents died.

Lally says O'Keefe got help raising kids from neighbors and from his co-workers at the Boston Police Dept. Niece was 14 and nephew was 11 when O'Keefe died.

Lally begins discussing Jan 28, 2022. He says the forecast called for a snowstorm and many activities in Canton were cancelled.

With his niece and nephew staying with friends, O'Keefe went out with friends to go drinking at a local bar. Karen Read joined them just before 9pm.

Lally says O'Keefe and Read had met in 2004, reconnected several years later and started dating. In the months leading up to his death, "the relationship suffered," Lally says.

At about 6am, Canton police received 911 call that a body had been found outside 34 Fairview Road in Canton.

The first officers arrive on scene and see three women standing near the left side of the front yard near a flagpole, fire hydrant and the body. Read is one of the three.

Lally says first responders heard Read repeatedly say, "I hit him. I hit him. I hit him.”

Lally says there were six inches of snow on O'Keefe's body and grass underneath him.

O'Keefe was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital but could not be saved. Read was also taken to the hospital. Witnesses say Read told them the last time she saw O'Keefe they had an argument.

Lally says police dash camera video shows damage to one of the taillights on Read's SUV.

Lally says a bartender and some customers at the Waterfall bar will testify about seeing Read climb into the driver's side of her SUV.

Christopher and Julie Albert were also present at the Waterfall with several family members.

Lally says it started to snow just after midnight. Brian Albert and Nicole Albert head to their home at 34 Fairview Rd and invite others to join them there, including John O’Keefe.

Couple witnesses arrive in pickup at the house at the same time as Read in her black Lexus SUV. Witnesses in pickup and in house say they saw Read's SUV move up along street and stop near fire hydrant.

Lally says no witnesses ever saw anybody get out of Read's SUV. None of them saw John O'Keefe go into the house.

Lally says Jennifer McCabe got a phone call from O'Keefe's niece at about 3am. Niece then passed phone to Read who tells McCabe that O'Keefe never came home.

Lally says Read drove around calling people asking where O'Keefe is. Read came to McCabe's home. Read shows damage to her right taillight. McCabe drives Read in Read's SUV to 34 Fairview Rd. "The defendant is the only one who sees Mr. O'Keefe", Lally says.

Lally says Read got out of SUV and "made a beeline" to where O'Keefe's body is.

Lally says a cell phone is used to search internet for how long it takes for a person to die in the cold. He says jurors will hear dispute about when that search was made.

Lally says hospital staff from Good Samaritan will testify.

Lally says jurors will hear about O'Keefe and Read's family trip to Aruba. A woman who knows O'Keefe says Read began yelling and swearing at her in the lobby. Lally says niece and nephew witnessed "20-minute screaming match" in hotel room.

Lally says Read sent "amorous" text messages to another man insisting O'Keefe was cheating on her.

Lally says phone records will show Read first started driving toward Fairview Road before going to McCabe's house.

Lally says investigators will testify that SUV's data will show it traveled in reverse at approximately 24.2 mph while in front of the house.

Lally says a sneaker and piece of taillight are discovered in part of the front yard. Says a cocktail glass was found on rear bumper of SUV, along with a human hair.

Lally says pieces of taillight were found on O'Keefe's body and O'Keefe's DNA was found on taillight.

Lally says the human hair found on the bumper belonged to O’Keefe.

Lally says workers from medical examiners will testify about an injury to the back of O'Keefe's head.

Lally's manner has been very matter of fact during his opening statement. Read is sitting about four feet behind Lally.

@BienickWCVB

Jennifer McCabe, sister of the homeowner and a party participant along with her husband, is the one who realized that morning that Read was a better option than the plow. And when Karen, seeing her boyfriend's body not far from where she last left him, staring screaming "Did I hit him?", they found the perfect person to blame.

Crazy? Maybe, but there is no denying it worked for them.
I like this theory. If we're operating under the assumption that JM's google search was truly at 2:27am, why did she wait all the way until 6:24am to make the decoy search? At this point, 911 had been called, body have been removed, first responders are asking questions, etc. That's always been something I've nitpicked about the story of KR allegedly yelling at her to google it - that makes sense at 6:05am, maybe even up until 6:15am, but doesn't make sense, IMO, at 6:24am.

With your theory, I think 6:24am would be when JM remembered the google search and realized with KR's behavior that she could try and use that Google search to implicate KR while also protecting herself. People run wild with the word conspiracy but I really don't think whatever happened that night was planned and/or the response was coordinated immediately after.

Defense attorney David Yannetti rises to give his opening statement to jury.

"Karen Read was framed," Yannetti says. Her car did not strike O'Keefe and that means someone else killed him.

Yannetti says a faulty investigation lead to Read sitting here today. "You'll question why investigators had such tunnel vision," he says. Describes Albert family as "well known, well connected.”

Brian Albert, also a Boston police officer, did nothing to help O'Keefe and never came out after his body was found.

Yannetti says Canton police were "conflicted out" of investigating O'Keefe's death because Brian Albert's brother is a Canton police officer. Case was turned over to Mass State Police.

The lead MSP investigator on the case was Michael Proctor. Yannetti says Proctor has ties to Albert family. "Right from the jump, Michael Proctor predetermined the outcome of this case," says Yannetti.

Yannetti says "Karen Read was a convenient outsider. She was definitely not from Canton."

@BienickWCVB

Yannetti: criticizes the MSP investigation of Michael Proctor who had tied to the Albert family.

11:19 AM · Apr 29, 2024

@JHall7news

Yannetti: Trooper Proctor told his HS buddies he was looking through Karen Read's phone looking for nude photos of her. "Is that a professional investigation?" You will decide if this investigation was on the "up and up."

11:22 AM · Apr 29, 2024

Couple witnesses arrive in pickup at the house at the same time as Read in her black Lexus SUV. Witnesses in pickup and in house say they saw Read's SUV move up along street and stop near fire hydrant.

Lally says no witnesses ever saw anybody get out of Read's SUV. None of them saw John O'Keefe go into the house.
Really curious about the decision to include this in opening statements. IMO, that will end up being the biggest issue with the prosecution's case. They admit they have a witness there for nearly the entire window in which O'Keefe would have been struck with the car and they didn't see anything. In the full witness statement, Nagel says he didn't see her car go in reverse, didn't hear any yelling or loud noises, didn't see O'Keefe leave the car and when he drove past her, she was alone in the vehicle.

There is no competent evidence that Karen Read's taillight shattered at the scene of O'Keefe's death, Yannetti says.

Yannetti says Read woke up at 4am and left to search for him. Yannetti says as she was backing out of her driveway, she hit parked car and that's when taillight was cracked.

@BienickWCVB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member