MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the defense can even prove even a fraction of their opening, there would be too much reasonable doubt for me. This case stinks. As a juror, I would never be able to convict if the State can't explain the inconsistencies.

Do we know if the federal investigation still ongoing?

Paul says Read and her father arrived at John's house, along with Read's brother and her brother's wife. Says Read spent about 30 minutes at the house.

Paul says he and his parents told Kayley about what happened to John. Then Patrick came home and they told him in a side room. Says Read was present when they told Patrick. Says Read and her father then went upstairs for about 10 minutes.

Paul says Read had taken some of her belongings from the bedroom and then left with her family.

@BienickWCVB

I watched Melanie Little and the dog bite expert.
Wow.
Seems pretty definitive those were canine tooth lacerations on the arm of the deceased.
And his shoulder may appear to be dislocated because of the pulling? Very interesting.

Although, it made me laugh when the dog bite expert said he knows more about bite injuries than medical examiners, because most people don't die from bite wounds. Pretty silly, he has no experience with children dying from dog attacks. And his rubbery prosthetic "arm" with teeth marks would not be a exact replica of human skin/tissue.
But he made his points regarding the autopsy photos.

Good post!!!
That's a good point. Even if the family dog did bite Jon would those wound have been fatal? Is the defense saying that a person or people in the house beat John up and then the dog bit his arm and then they dragged him outside and threw him in the snow and then made up the snowplow/KR story? How could the assailants have known that KR would have a broken tail light or when the plow would come by. While the conspiracy theories are interesting none of them add up for me. To me it's a case of drunk driving causing death. I don't know what the temperature was overnight there but if somebody is injured and then lays out in the cold they may die of hypothermia.

Even if the family dog did bite Jon would those wound have been fatal? Is the defense saying that a person or people in the house beat John up and then the dog bit his arm and then they dragged him outside and threw him in the snow and then made up the snowplow/KR story? How could the assailants have known that KR would have a broken tail light or when the plow would come by. While the conspiracy theories are interesting none of them add up for me. To me it's a case of drunk driving causing death. I don't know what the temperature was overnight there but if somebody is injured and then lays out in the cold they may die of hypothermia.
1) No one is claiming the lacerations up and down the victim's arm were fatal. He died from a severe head injury and hypothermia. Neither side disputes this.
2) The assailants couldn't have known about her broken taillight if it wasn't broken until 5 am as the defense contends (video from O'Keefe Ring camera).
3) A very serious storm was on the way. Plows come out in advance. The snow plow driver went by at about 3 am for the first time to pre-treat the street. He saw no body. On the next pass a Ford Edge was blocking the area where the body was later found.
5) The homeowner and his partying friends didn't "make up" a story about Read. They claimed they had no idea what happened to O'Keefe as they never saw him again after the Waterfall bar. It was the state police who claim she hit him. And the lead officer is under investigation for lying to the Commonwealth grand jury. There will be lots to come about this. He's very dirty.
4) It was very cold that night. However, the victims' body temp was still in the 80s when the EMTs got to the scene around 6:20.

Victim's brother Paul O'Keefe returns to the witness stand for questioning by Prosecutor Adam Lally.

Paul says he didn't have much interaction with Read and her father when they came to John's house following his death.

The prosecutor shows an image of John O'Keefe's house. Paul says it was equipped with security, including a Ring doorbell camera.

Prosecutor shows a picture of the floodlight above O'Keefe's garage, then a picture of the garage doors.

The judge asks for a sidebar with attorneys.

@BienickWCVB

Accusations of corruption in the Karen Read case have sparked an audit of the Canton Police Department, which is slated to begin Monday night.

It's the same day as opening statements in the high-profile trial. Read is accused of hitting and killing her boyfriend, Boston Police Officer John O'Keefe, with her SUV in Canton, Massachusetts, in January 2022. Her defense team has alleged a police coverup, which authorities have repeatedly denied.

Any reason we spent so much time watching someone snowblow the deceased's driveway?

Any reason these video clips are not time-stamped? These videos capture the time after the death, and I'm not sure what they are trying to prove. The only useful info I got was that Karen didn't stay at the deceased's house to comfort the children because we saw the children leave in someone else's car.

Any reason we spent so much time watching someone snowblow the deceased's driveway?

Any reason these video clips are not time-stamped? These videos capture the time after the death, and I'm not sure what they are trying to prove. The only useful info I got was that Karen didn't stay at the deceased's house to comfort the children because we saw the children leave in someone else's car.
Why Lally wanted the jury to watch all those videos I have no idea. At first I thought this was about Karen's Lexus, but I don't think it was in the video although I'm not 100% sure, the presentation is so confused.

The YouTube chat comments make it clear that a lot of people are having trouble following. Many seem to think these videos are showing the crime scene. They are asking where the body was located, how come the snow is piled so high when there was only a dusting of snow, and so on.

I hope the jurors are able to better understand what's going on.

Erin O'Keefe remembers meeting Karen Read during the beginning of the pandemic and says she considered her a friend.

Erin O'Keefe says Read spent the majority of her time at John's house and the rest of the time at her own home in Mansfield.

Erin O'Keefe says O'Keefe and Read had a "normal everyday relationship.”

Erin O'Keefe says she and Read would call each other and "shoot the breeze." Says Read told her that if she and O'Keefe ever broke up, she hoped they would remain friends.

Erin O'Keefe says around New Year's Eve 2022 she and her family were in Aruba. Says John O'Keefe and his family were there too but on another part of the island.

Erin O'Keefe says Read texted her that she had "caught" John kissing a woman in the hotel lobby and that they had gotten into an argument.

@BienickWCVB

Why Lally wanted the jury to watch all those videos I have no idea. At first I thought this was about Karen's Lexus, but I don't think it was in the video although I'm not 100% sure, the presentation is so confused.

The YouTube chat comments make it clear that a lot of people are having trouble following. Many seem to think these videos are showing the crime scene. They are asking where the body was located, how come the snow is piled so high when there was only a dusting of snow, and so on.

I hope the jurors are able to better understand what's going on.
The prosecution made a point that Karen was carrying a single, small bag. As if she was not allowed to get her own things from the home she shared? If they were trying to make Read seem callous and uncaring after her boyfriend died, the video proved the opposite - Read couldn't spend time with the kids because they had left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shhhhtheresrabbits