MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO the frame-up defense is dead in the water. All these little details defy Occam’s razor. (The paramedic testifying that she said “I hit him” “I hit him” over and over pretty much kills the frame up defense on the 1st day of trial) There will be a lot of useless expert testimony from defense I’m sure. Ugh. They should’ve just went with she didn’t know she hit him or it was an accident. The defense should’ve been “it’s ludicrous to suggest she murdered him.” Beating the murder rap should’ve been the priority.

Well, we're two days into an eight-weeks long trial. I think that might be a little early to declare the defense "dead in the water". We've already had them spring a couple of surprises on us: Proctor texting about nudes with his HS buddies and Jen McCabe apparently going into the residence. They were able to obtain a great deal of information from the federal grand jury proceedings, so who knows what else they have up their sleeve. Once all the evidence is out there, then we can discuss Occam's razor. It doesn't have any validity until you've fairly heard both competing hypothesis.

And I disagree about "useless expert testimony." I desperately want to hear how those wounds were inflicted on JO's body and what that means in terms of how he died. I want to hear from both the prosecution and the defense experts. Supposedly, the defense has three experts originally brought in by the FBI. I would expect these aren't your typical hired guns, but we'll see.

And I also want to hear about the infamous google search. Did it happen in the middle of the night or the next morning? I really have no idea.

I know a lot of people have pre-judged this case, and I too have my opinions. But I'm trying to go in with as open a mind as possible and see what comes out during the trial.

@149Zone7

"He told his buddies that he was searching her phone for nude photos, and he was disappointed he hadn't found any yet”. "That is the professional and unbiased investigator who was chosen to lead the investigation into the death of John O'Keefe.”

View attachment 500683
8:21 AM · Apr 30, 2024
oh come on, it's a joke. for god sakes no one can say anything any more. She's very pretty..the find all kinds of stuff on peoples phones all the time...lol..I'm sorry it was just a wisecrack. mOO

oh come on, it's a joke. for god sakes no one can say anything any more. She's very pretty..the find all kinds of stuff on peoples phones all the time...lol..I'm sorry it was just a wisecrack. mOO
Oh come on obviously this means the police are framing the defendant! All the people in that house have conspired to beat up/kill the victim and frame Karen Read. The first officer on scene knows the family in the house and <modsnip: unnecessary> = police frame up!!

/sorry for the sarcasm, I couldn’t help myself

JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
... Yeah the lead investigator shouldn't "joke" about seizing her phone without a warrant, looking for nude photos and hoping he would kill herself. All while leaking details of a private investigation to his buddies. This man clearly should not have been in charge of the investigation.

Oh come on obviously this means the police are framing the defendant! All the people in that house have conspired to beat up/kill the victim and frame Karen Read. The first officer on scene knows the family in the house and is h 0 r n y = police frame up!!

/sorry for the sarcasm, I couldn’t help myself

JMO
ick, would that be excusable if your loved one was dead or falsely accused of premeditated murder?

There's the conspiracy angle and there is also the shoddy police work angle. Just because the police did a crappy job with some things doesn't mean there is a big cover up.
I think what happened initially is that police & EMS were called to the scene of an injured male laying in the snow. EMS did a load and go and went to the hospital. When they do that it's because the patient is critical and it's not their place to ask the who/what/when/why questions. I am not sure what they thought in the early stages until KR was overheard saying/asking if JO was dead and that she had hit him. Did they think that KR was driving by and JO was walking along the road and she had hit him? Regardless, I find the police investigation to be lazy. KR should have had to blow a ASD at the scene if people overhead her say that she hit JO.
It is odd that the people in the house did not come out during the ruckus. What's their reasoning for that? Were they passed out drunk in an area of the house where they wouldn't see the flashing lights of the ambulance? What did the neighbors notice?

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic.

"She's very pretty"...
does NOT excuse his unprofessionalism.

"They find all kinds of stuff on people's phones"...

The primary role of an investigator is to gather information LEGALLY and maintain the integrity of the investigation. Proctor failed.

Proctor reminds me of when the deputies with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department shared graphic photos of the helicopter crash that killed Kobe Bryant:

"The deputies who responded to the crash scene took the photos that included the victims' remains and said one of them was a trainee deputy who tried to impress a girl at a bar a few days after the crash by showing her the photos. According to TMZ, a bartender overheard that conversation and filed an online complaint with the sheriff's department."

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic.

"She's very pretty"...

"They find all kinds of stuff on people's phones"...

The primary role of an investigator is to gather information LEGALLY and maintain the integrity of the investigation. Proctor failed.

Let's not forget that Proctor also: 1) Lied to a state grand jury about his relationship with the people in the house that night 2) Is under internal investigation and 3) Told a buddy via text that, even though a body turned up on his lawn, homeowner Brian Albert had nothing to worry about because he was a Boston cop. Number 2 isn't likely to come in, but the same cannot be said for 1 and 3.

Very much looking forward to his testimony.

I doubt that it is Bostonian. What with many students arriving in Boston to study, New England accent is not too thick. It might be "some other accent". One wonders if the witness would encounter this word on paper, but never hear it spoken.
I wasn’t born here, but I’ve lived in the Boston area for a few decades. You’re right that there are a lot of people who settle here from elsewhere (like me) who lack the accent. The accent is still alive and well amongst the natives, though. IME it’s particularly likely that you’ll encounter folks with strong Boston accents in outer suburbs (like Canton) and amongst the ranks of first responders. To my ear, he has a local accent.*

*Some people can even tell the difference between North Shore vs. South Shore vs. ‘down the Cape’ accents — I definitely cannot!

I doubt that it is Bostonian. What with many students arriving in Boston to study, New England accent is not too thick. It might be "some other accent". One wonders if the witness would encounter this word on paper, but never hear it spoken. ("Furrow" is not a formal word, but it might be falling into disuse. I had similar problem with a non-colloquial "mundane". One could choose "u like in mud", or, "u like in Spanish mundi". I think the witness opts for "furrow like in far", but IRL it is "like in fur". He is mistaken, but no one should laugh at him. His own response is hilarious).
As a Bostonian I can confirm the witnesses accent is 1000% ours. We put A’s where they don’t belong all the time and we have a strong aversion to R’s. When the R is at the end of the word it turns to an A (which I think most people recognize) but when the R is in the middle of the word we do all kinds of crazy things depending on which vowel precedes the R. He’s definitely one of us though!

He's going thru her phone without a search warrant and texting his high school buddies using his personal phone - imo very unprofessional all around - esp when he throws in "I hope she kills herself "
Is he in junior high? Fair and unbiased ? He should be disciplined or worse. I know this type of attitude can be part of the locker room culture in the the "boys" circle but its really not a good thing and can taint the investigation
IMO It's a really bad look at the very least
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads