MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first Canton cop on the scene has already testified that he didn't think it would be reasonable to even knock on the door of the house. I'm sure it would be more than reasonable if there was a body on my lawn, but I'm not a Boston cop.
LOL even tho the deceased was supposed to be attending a party there.

'to serve and protect' whom exactly?

Alcohol + Anger = People doing nonsensical things. IMHO I don't think she set out to murder him but I think they were arguing on their way to the house and she told him to GTFO and sped off hitting him in the process. She goes home and then has an oh crap moment and goes out looking for him because she knows something happened.

Theoretically, yes. However, coming from the country with high prevalence of drinking, I remember a ton of jokes - mostly, about a guy waking up after a booze and, not remembering anything, "reconstructing" the events of the previous night. Naturally, these recollections are far from reality because alcohol affects memory in a peculiar way, creating gaps that people fill in (confabulations). I have a list of true stories about the behaviors of the real people when drunk.
Bottom line: yes, there is alcohol-fueled rage and disinhibition. But because alcohol has a peculiar effect on the brain, we can't use self-incriminating words of a drunk person until there are some corroborating facts. Can i see how KR might have run him over? Yes. I can. However, conviction needs facts. All the questions are about the investigative part of the case.
We just can't accuse KR based on how she looks. It is the prosecution job to convince the jury and the public. And I am still in the phase of shock about how little is known about that night.

Me, too. I've been on the intentional side of things since learning about it in Apr 2023. She was angry he wanted her to leave - his home - we know the most dangerous time for a SO is when the relationship is in danger of dissolving. How dare he not want to remain in a volitive relationship with her!

JO just bought a pretty big house and she had, apparently, been asked to leave. She refused. Perhaps one of his children may testify as I'm not sure of this court's limitations on prior bad acts.

Youtube has numerous videos of pedestrians being hit by vehicles in all sorts of situ. There's not a doubt in my mind that every wound John suffered was from being hit, fast and furiously, by her SUV.

There was no reason to investigate the homeowner. JMO The incident happened on the side of his front lawn. He was not an eye witness to it. Besides, Karen Read loudly repeated various incriminating statements over and over again. She confessed to hitting him so how is the death of John Oliver the homeowner's fault?

All JHOO
Right. This case has all the hallmarks of domestic violence. When it’s a female perpetrator it’s almost always a personality disordered woman a la Jodi Arias etc…..if I can’t have you, no one else can and you do not get to have control and leave. Trial watchers have seen these dynamics over and over. This is nothing new. Circumstantially there is no one else who could’ve committed this crime. She was the only one out there with him. They were fighting. She was drunk. He was trying to break up with her. Of course at the scene she acted distraught. But then with the brother and JO’s family that same day she was detached and already moving on. She couldn’t keep up acting distressed even until the funeral! All the signs are there.

JMO

Last edited:
Right. This case has all the hallmarks of domestic violence.
No one has testified there was ever any violence between the two.

No one has testified "they were fighting" that night. In fact, they can be seen hugging each other on the CJ McCarthy's CCTV. Was she drunk and angry when he never texted or returned to the car to tell her he was staying? Sounds that way. But I'm not seeing any "hallmark" beyond a waning relationship. Thousands of partner relationships are breaking up as I type this. But precious few end up with one partner running the other down - in reverse - in a snowstorm.

What do you think caused those lacerations up and down the victim's arm?

Last edited:
I know this is off-topic, but 'Karen' has got to be hands-down the absolute WORST first name for a female criminal defendant at this time in human history.
100% disagree. There hasn’t been a defendant in a Massachusetts trial since Sacco and Vanzetti that had had more public support than Karen Read. Maybe in some parts of the country people are swayed by a first name, but not in New England. There is strong support for her against the incompetent cops and DA. The name “Karen” means absolutely nothing.

Here is a look at the timeline of events in the Karen Read investigation and trial.

January 29, 2022 – the night John O'Keefe died​

Shortly after midnight: Karen Read, John O'Keefe and a group of friends went to the Waterfall Bar and Grill in Canton on the night of January 28, 2022. According to prosecutors, Read consumed several alcoholic beverages. Read drove O'Keefe to the home of Boston police officer Brian Albert. That is where police said people from the bar were meeting back up.

1 a.m.: Court documents later revealed that in the weeks before and even the hours leading up to the night out, text messages between Read and O'Keefe as well as voicemails showed a strained relationship. Investigators said that around 1 a.m. on January 29, Read allegedly left O'Keefe a voicemail that said "...you are a f------ loser, f--- yourself" and "John, I f------ hate you."

Updated on: May 2, 2024 / 2:15 PM EDT / CBS Boston

There hasn’t been a defendant in a Massachusetts trial since Sacco and Vanzetti that had had more public support than Karen Read. Maybe in some parts of the country people are swayed by a first name, but not in New England. There is strong support for her against the incompetent cops and DA. The name “Karen” means absolutely nothing.
In MA, "Lizzie" might be a much more problematic name for a defendant. I can hear it now. "Lizzie Read took a car, hit her boyfriend from afar. When she saw what she had done, she said she'd only meant to stun...."

I would love to read all the messages between the two of them. KR doesn't strike me as somebody who would make it easy to leave a relationship.

I expect to see a lot of profanities. However, it takes two to spoil a relationship. Yes, KR doesn’t come across as a people pleaser. Looking at it from her side, though: I have a BF, from whom I am totally independent. There is no property or kids binding us. I am five years younger than him. If the guy starts cheating on me on the side, not sure that I, an easy person, would take it lightly.

Last edited:
I would love to read all the messages between the two of them. KR doesn't strike me as somebody who would make it easy to leave a relationship.
Genuinely curious, what makes you think that? Does she have a history of domestic violence or coercive control? I don't understand the comments that consider her to be unstable mentally?

edit to add: Besides KR being distraught after JO's death, obviously

Last edited:
Right. This case has all the hallmarks of domestic violence. When it’s a female perpetrator it’s almost always a personality disordered woman a la Jodi Arias etc…..if I can’t have you, no one else can and you do not get to have control and leave. Trial watchers have seen these dynamics over and over. This is nothing new. Circumstantially there is no one else who could’ve committed this crime. She was the only one out there with him. They were fighting. She was drunk. He was trying to break up with her. Of course at the scene she acted distraught. But then with the brother and JO’s family that same day she was detached and already moving on. She couldn’t keep up acting distressed even until the funeral! All the signs are there.

JMO
How do we know O'Keefe was dumping her?

#KarenRead and the defense are seated at the defense table. About 9 spectators, most likely her family, friends are seated behind her.Interestingly, none are wearing pink.Pink has been the color people wear to show support for Read.

Note that her in-court supporters have been wearing pink every day. Ties, suits, shirts, blouses, etc. Not a hint of pink today, except for maybe a pale pink shirt.

Today of course is the site visit to the scene of where John O’Keefe’s body was found and transported to the hospital.I don’t think any spectators will be traveling to the site.
Defense team is reviewing documents at the table, #KarenRead is conferring with both Yannetti & Jackson who are seated on either side of her.

#KarenRead will not be traveling on “the view” - the jurors visit to the scene, per a ruling by Judge Beverley Cannone

We are expecting to hear more from Canton EMT Katie McLaughlin this morning one. She was on the scene and says she heard #KarenRead say “I hit him,”

Family, friends & supporters of John O’Keefe have entered and taken seats the courtroom.They sit on the right side of the courtroom facing the jurors.Reads family & friends sit in the back, behind defense facing the judge.

ADA Lally has entered the courtroom. Jurors are being lined up outside the courtroom.

A note to new folks following this report.I’m a commentator and my beat is politics, culture & society.I will be paraphrasing testimony & making observations.If you’re looking for verbatim reporting, many of my colleagues are doing some great work.The judge & jury are here.

Judge calls a sidebar.I know it’s Friday, and I may be projecting , but the jurors look tired to me today.I think it’s important to remember what a challenge jury duty is in a normal trial. I appreciate for these citizens!

Judge Cannone is doing a lot of talking in this sidebar. Both teams listening intently. Counsel back in place.Canton EMT Katie McLaughlin returns & is sworn in.Lally resumes questioning.

McLaughlin is testifying about what O’Keefe was wearing.Lally calls for an exhibit on the screen, McLaughlin has a pointer.She recognizes a picture of the scene.She is explaining that she can’t exactly show the location of the body, but that it was near a fire hydrant.

McLaughlin is testifying about what O’Keefe was wearing.Lally calls for an exhibit on the screen, McLaughlin has a pointer.She recognizes a picture of the scene.She is explaining that she can’t exactly show the location of the body, but that it was near a fire hydrant.

Defense Attorney Alan Jackson on cross now.McLaughlin responds to a question about being directed to interview #KarenRead by offering her context.Affirms she did question Read. McLaughlin says Read was moving around. Read came to a stop.

Jackson says: thats when you say Read made the statement. Asks McLaughlin: who was there? She answers.Jackson enters a new piece of evidence, a photo of the scene. Cannone is pausing testimony, explains to jurors the numbering has been a problem,

Indicates this is what the she spoke about in the sidebar this morning.Back to testimony.Jan 30 is the first time McLaughlin told law enforcement about the statement to Trooper Proctor. McLaughlin is carefully answering.Jackson establishing importance of accurate reporting.

@SueNBCBoston

Jackson brings McLaughlin interview with Proctor for review.
Quick sidebar.
Jackson asks, the report says you said Read looked at the female standing to your left said 4 times “I hit him”.
Are you aware the female says Read said “Did I hit him?”
McLaughlin says she was unaware

McLaughlin is directed to answer yes or no.
Next question is did you right a report?
McLaughlin says I don’t write reports.
Jackson says objection, yes or no question.
Cannone tells Jackson to let her answer the question.
In the end, no. And she didn’t write it down.

@SueNBCBoston

@SueNBCBoston

Jackson is asking her affirm the “sum & substance” of what she said yesterdays
Has your story evolved?
Ok.
Who is Caitlin Albert?
Someone I went to school with was named Caitlin Albert.
Did you know Caitlin Albert.
McLaughlin describes her as an acquaintance, not a 1 on 1 friend

I guess now that the defense has committed to this grand conspiracy theory they have to make every witness look like they are part of some conspiracy to get Karen Reed. Ugh. So exhausting. Shoddy police work or incompetence does not make a conspiracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drena519