MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Count me in as another person that grew up a few miles away from Canton and sees a lot of the characterizations and interpretations of the case and the town from the "conspiracy" folks as just goofy. I find the whole defense to just be nonsensical.

My town was maybe 1/3 of the size. There were plenty of people in my high school of maybe 500 that I didn't know beyond a name and maybe some vague traits.

Social media wasn't quite as popular when I was younger - but if it was - I'm sure you could find hundreds of photos of me at parties, the beach (Hampton), sports, whatever else... with whom I couldn't recall a single conversation I've ever had.

I'm interested to hear the physical evidence, but Occam's Razor says it was her.

Some pervy cop didn't like the accused cop-killer and was hoping to find nudes on her phone? Film at 11. Hardly evidence of some vast conspiracy to frame an innocent person for murder.

They had a volatile relationship. They were out boozing all night. They got into some spat on the driveway. Drunk and acting like a crazy youknowwhat, she rammed into him with the car (not intending to kill him) and drove home. She passed out. Woke up a few hours later. Saw he wasn't there and remembered what had happened. In a panic she wakes people to go look for him (something that is 100% not a normal reaction) and discovers her worst fears have come true.

This is exactly why folks following this case from Massachusetts are so invested in it. The town of Canton has the hallmarks of being rotten to the core and it appears that nobody in town can just be straightforward and honest. McLaughlin KNOWS Catilin Albert, they've hung out, gone drinking, gone to the beach. They aren't best friends but for her to say "I went to school with someone named Caitlin Albert" as though she were just a foggy memory of old is purposely misleading. This rot feeds into the concern that EVERYONE who interacted with Michael Proctor suddenly gets a better memory and starts singing from the same song sheet. Also, "Kevin Albert, the Canton Police Detective and brother of Brian Albert, was the one who contacted McLaughlin and was the one who set her up for the interview with Michael Proctor. Proctor and Kevin Albert are cross fit buddies."
Okay. I get what you're saying- idk. If you say so, I believe you. Why live in a town like that? idk. Isn't it scary? That's a serious question... "rotten to the core" I know we aren't safe anywhere, but come on?

However, hypothetically, if KR did hit JOK with her Lexus, maybe BA simply wants to distance himself from all of this for reasons unknown by the public. Not saying it about any A, but no one knows what goes on behind closed doors. People from the bar were meeting up at BA’s home (at that time) and who knows what happened. However, I question if anyone at that house was involved.

I chose to follow the evidence in a court of law. The commonwealth’s case has been weak thus far. I would NEVER want an innocent person convicted of something they did not do. I mentioned it before and hope to see a forensic veterinary testify about JOK injuries.

Common Sense- what makes the most sense?

We shall see. Moo

All thoughts, and speculation. :)

Anybody have any thoughts about the request to pay attention to the center console? Is that where the safety features are? Unfortunately, I dont own a Lexus. :)

Btw, in case, unaware the Lexus is at the view location at this time.
moo
As a non car person, I tried my best watching some Youtube walkthroughs and skimming through a manual but I don't think the safety features are in the console. Her model has a display screen where a TON, and I mean a TON, of features can be accessed and that's controlled by a physical "mouse" in that is in the center console but I don't think anyone would automatically understand that by looking at it. Here is a picture for reference.

Proctor is the Furhman of this case. It’s unfortunate that the real victim, John O’Keefe, has been overshadowed by the manufactured victimization of the defendant. I can’t imagine what John’s family is going through. They lost their daughter and son in law/brother in law and now John. His parents have taken custody of the niece and nephew that were adopted by John. Vinnie Politan talked about this on his Tangents podcast last night. He said John’s parents are living in his house now with the niece and nephew. Vinnie is on location and went to film outside John’s house and was run off by a neighbor.

I believe the niece and nephew will testify regarding the Aruba fight. I can’t imagine THEIR grief. I hope John gets Justice. It would be a compounding of tragedy if this frame up defense succeeds in its goal to obfuscate the truth and causes a mistrial.

JMO

#KarenRead State police are shutting down 128SB from Dedham to Westwood for the jury to go visit the crime scene in Canton.

1714752254614.png

#KarenRead Jurors will also see the Lexus SUV Read was driving when she allegedly hit O’Keefe. It’s parked in front of the house on Fairview Rd in Canton.

1714752295815.png

The jury has arrived. State police are instructing civilians with cell phones not to point them at the jury.

A court officer has opened a passenger door on the SUV. The prosecutor had asked jurors to take note of the vehicle’s center console.

The jurors are taking turns looking inside the SUV. One person just crouched down to look underneath.

We are about 300 ft away so we cannot hear anything being said. We see jurors, judge, attorneys and court staff standing in the middle of the street.

Photographers, bystanders and Karen Read supporters watch the jury view from the end of the street.

1714752375745.png
@BienickWCVB

Anybody have any thoughts about the request to pay attention to the center console? Is that where the safety features are? Unfortunately, I dont own a Lexus. :)

Btw, in case, unaware the Lexus is at the view location at this time.
moo
It appears there is an optional "cool box" feature that essentially turns the center console storage space into a cooler. Maybe there was alcohol or something in that space?

My only other thought (hopefully not the case) is that Lally meant center display, not center console. I've seen a few tweets already making that mistake. In that case, yes the center display is where the screen displaying the backup camera, front collision camera, and blind spot cameras is.

Last edited:
Proctor is the Furhman of this case. It’s unfortunate that the real victim, John O’Keefe, has been overshadowed by the manufactured victimization of the defendant. I can’t imagine what John’s family is going through. They lost their daughter and son in law/brother in law and now John. His parents have taken custody of the niece and nephew that were adopted by John. Vinnie Politan talked about this on his Tangents podcast last night. He said John’s parents are living in his house now with the niece and nephew. Vinnie is on location and went to film outside John’s house and was run off by a neighbor.

I believe the niece and nephew will testify regarding the Aruba fight. I can’t imagine THEIR grief. I hope John gets Justice. It would be a compounding of tragedy if this frame up defense succeeds in its goal to obfuscate the truth and causes a mistrial.

JMO
Look, all the cops have to do is play by the rules. And the prosecution has to prove the defendant guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

Everyone deserves charges against them to be vigorously defended.

It's designed like this for a reason.

I’m just catching up with this thread.
Can anyone tell me if/where the trial is being broadcast/streamed?

JMO
I think they want Proctor to take the fall for the real killer.
I think JO was in a fight with one of the Alberts in their home, and was beaten to death inside. His arm was also mauled by their dog.
Around 2am they realized he was dead (or comatose) so they tossed the body out in the yard as far as possible from the front door, near the curb. Googling "how long to die in the cold". Hoping a snow plow would do the work for them explaining his injuries. The Alberts pledged to keep this incident secret so their family member doesn't go to jail. (Seems protective. Maybe the killer is on the younger side?)
Then Karen Read arrived and wondered aloud "Did I hit him?"
And it became that much easier for the Alberts to stay quiet.
With a friend like Proctor, the Alberts knew they would never be considered suspects.

All IMHO

Some pervy cop didn't like the accused cop-killer and was hoping to find nudes on her phone? Film at 11. Hardly evidence of some vast conspiracy to frame an innocent person for murder.
RSBM
Proctor's unprofessionalism and illegal activity is evidence that the investigation wasn't done correctly to begin with.

Keep watching the trial.

IMHO It's fascinating to see how KR is described in comments on news media and social media. I've seen the following:
"glamorous"
"w h o r e"
"not a people pleaser"
"personality disorder"

I don't understand the "glamorous" adjective (perhaps relative to the area?) . And I don't know why women are expected to be "people pleasers".
To me this feels similar to a rape trial, where they try to smear the SA survivor because they were not a perfect victim.

You are comparing it with a rape trial, someone else, with female DV case. Let us keep the priorities straight: it is a murder trial, where the question is, is she a murderer? and also, will she be convicted? I think all the terms are explained because deep inside, many feel that she could murder JO, but the way the case was handled, she can not be convicted.

I used the term “not a people pleaser”. I have stronger words in mind but remind myself that “things may not be what they appear” in such cases. For example, Trooper MP’s “investigation” and texts invite one word. However, I avoid it. (Maybe he is just that, or maybe he did not enter the house for a deeper reason.)

Likewise, with KR, I would not use “personality disorder” because by conventional rules, only trained doctors who personally evaluated the client can do it. But then, for the very same reason, perhaps we should stop throwing “a narcissist” “a malignant narcissist” or even “a narc” around? Same rules apply to all cases. It is a diagnostic term. If women stop typing “my ex was a malignant narcissist”, maybe they will stop reading “a woman with personality disorder” in response?

But - I used the term “not a people pleaser” to avoid anything stronger. It was my personal feeling. Having listened to her voice when she said “tell me we are on the same joke”, seen her photos, even from better time with JO, having found out that she communicated with the Turtleboy, I am thinking “i wouldn’t want to be in her class, among her friend or even her roommate. If I worked with her, I’d avoid her by all means”. It is just a gut reaction. It had absolutely nothing to do with men. In fact, i paid attention to the beginning of the thread and something coming from JO’s niece. It is interesting that KR spent money on the kids, and it didn’t help.

I think they want Proctor to take the fall for the real killer.
I think JO was in a fight with one of the Alberts in their home, and was beaten to death inside. His arm was also mauled by their dog.
Around 2am they realized he was dead (or comatose) so they tossed the body out in the yard as far as possible from the front door, near the curb. Googling "how long to die in the cold". Hoping a snow plow would do the work for them explaining his injuries. The Alberts pledged to keep this incident secret so their family member doesn't go to jail. (Seems protective. Maybe the killer is on the younger side?)
Then Karen Read arrived and wondered aloud "Did I hit him?"
And it became that much easier for the Alberts to stay quiet.
With a friend like Proctor, the Alberts knew they would never be considered suspects.

All IMHO

Your theory could be confirmed if JO’s phone shows he entered the house. If it shows that he never did, we are back to KR.

Why can’t we get answer to this question, either way?

Your theory could be confirmed if JO’s phone shows he entered the house. If it shows that he never did, we are back to KR.

I would imagine the prosecution is going to offer up a lot of evidence and witness testimony.

If KR wants to get on the stand and say she dropped him off and watched him walk into the house... or up to the door... something a lot of people do.. she could do that. Wanna bet if she does?

Also, wanna bet these abrasions look nothing like a dog bite?

I don't fault the defense. If they can find just one juror to believe the conspiracy, that's what they are supposed to do. That is their job. It's a tough one, though... because there are really only two options as to what happened.

But - I used the term “not a people pleaser” to avoid anything stronger. It was my personal feeling. Having listened to her voice when she said “tell me we are on the same joke”, seen her photos, even from better time with JO, having found out that she communicated with the Turtleboy, I am thinking “i wouldn’t want to be in her class, among her friend or even her roommate. If I worked with her, I’d avoid her by all means”. It is just a gut reaction. It had absolutely nothing to do with men. In fact, i paid attention to the beginning of the thread and something coming from JO’s niece. It is interesting that KR spent money on the kids, and it didn’t help.

The truth is none of us out here speculating about this case know her. What we do know is that John's own brother and sister-in-law, with whom he seemed quite close, both seemed to like her and thought she was great with the kids. The only arguments they knew about with regard to the kids were about her "spoiling" them with gifts and donuts. I was shocked that Lally used them as his first witnesses.

Karen Read is a college professor. She owns her own large home in Mansfield. Was driving a Lexus. And although she's getting some help from the TB peanut gallery (and frankly, a wise move on her part to engage him), she's been able to put up the money for a very good defense team. We unfortunately still live in society where many people resent and distrust intelligent, independent self-made women. Most of the criticism I see about her from people who know nothing about her seems related to deeply rooted, although perhaps not realized, sexism.

The idea that a house full of people who came there to party witnessed or participated in some kind of a fight or beating of John and they all just stood around and watched as his body was dragged outside to die (or was already lifeless and placed outside)…….is so ludicrous. It just stretches credulity to unbelievable heights.

Then some of the people in the house (including the homeowner) conspired with the lead detective to frame Karen Read for John’s death. And of course everybody in the house has to agree to keep quiet and go along with this frame job. Meaning all the people in the house are just OK going along with not only a brutal beating/murder but the framing of a completely innocent woman. An innocent woman could spend the rest of her life in prison and all these people are just like “oh well.” They’re all in the community as this trial is happening just living their lives completely unbothered! Not a one has come forward.

Amazing!

On any given night chances are 5 friends can’t agree easily on where to eat dinner (someone is vegetarian or someone has food allergies or someone is a healthy eater or someone is a picky eater) but a house full of party goers agrees very easily to hide a murder and frame an innocent woman! Wow.

Edited to add - Oh by the way, they are all willing to risk their liberty to do this because if this comes out they’re all going to prison!

JMO

Last edited:

I’m curious, in a general sense and not necessarily just about this case, how reliable the phone GPS and Apple health data truly can be in terms of specific locations. I think it’s going to be very hard to convince a jury that he went into that house just based on phone data. Now I’m not saying that means he didn’t but I’d imagine any halfway decent lawyer could rip the whole “he took 80 steps at 12:25am” to shreds, even if it was shown to be the most accurate information. 80 steps in what direction?

For the steps climbed data, if that is legit, I think I would need a demonstration of how the data is logged. Some kind of visual showing he either truly did climb 3 flights of stairs OR he did 30 jumping jacks (idk, just a using a silly example) for his phone to log it that way. on the other side, the CW could show that just walking up onto the witness stand logged as one flight, or something of that nature. The jury is going to need a point of reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PRJ