MA - Sex offender Donald Mars, 73, charged in 1966 death of 10-year old Betty Lou Zukowski - 11/4/22

Bishop Black

Former Member
Reaction score

A 73-year-old convicted sex offender has been charged in connection with the 1966 disappearance and death of a 10-year-old Massachusetts girl, a prosecutor said Thursday.

Donald Mars was arraigned on a charge of first-degree murder in the death of Betty Lou Zukowski, who left her Chicopee home on the evening of May 26, 1966, and was found beaten to death several days later in the Westfield River in West Springfield, prosecutors said in Hampden Superior Court in Springfield.

A not guilty plea was entered on Mars' behalf.

1966-cold-case.jpg

Very disturbing that he molested and murdered this girl when he was only 17. I wonder how he met her and lured her out? At 17, did he have his own car? Someone saw her with him, as police were able to draw a sketch. Her friends mentioned a mystery guy named "Ralph".

I wonder how many other girls he attacked? Time to look up some of the older cases from that area.

Last edited:
by: Tony Fay Posted: May 2, 2024
1714655531926.png
'SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – A nearly 58-year-old homicide investigation may finally come to a close in a Springfield courtroom on Thursday morning. That is where convicted sex offender Donald Mars is expected to change his plea to guilty in the 1966 murder of 10-year-old Betty Lou Zukowski.'

May 2 2024 rbbm
''Authorities say he told multiple versions of the killing occurring in different places, giving the location of the girl's head injuries and then denying doing so.

Mars told police Betty Lou "hurt him more than he ever hurt her," according to prosecutors. He then acted out the crime, authorities say, making four downward strikes with his left arm and admitting to hitting the girl with a rock.''

According to the article linked above, Mars confessed to the murder back in 1987 to his wife and mother, but LE didn’t do anything. It wasn’t until recently their cold case dept. decided to look at the case again.

Mars was originally identified by multiple witnesses who saw him with Betty Lou the day he killed her. He claimed it was an “accident”.

After his arrest, he later decided to accept a plea agreement to admit guilt in exchange for 3 yrs in prison. Three years.

I don’t understand why he wasn’t prosecuted in the late 1980s when he confessed.

According to the article linked above, Mars confessed to the murder back in 1987 to his wife and mother, but LE didn’t do anything. It wasn’t until recently their cold case dept. decided to look at the case again.

Mars was originally identified by multiple witnesses who saw him with Betty Lou the day he killed her. He claimed it was an “accident”.

After his arrest, he later decided to accept a plea agreement to admit guilt in exchange for 3 yrs in prison. Three years.

I don’t understand why he wasn’t prosecuted in the late 1980s when he confessed.
This entire story is 'sick.'

Guilty of "involuntary manslaughter" for beating a little 10 year old girl to death with a rock? Did the rock make him do it?
The previous article said she was struck in the head 4 times. Doesn’t sound like an accident.

I wonder if she fought him? It may have made him angry and he struck out to kill her. Perhaps motivated less from anger and more from his fear that she would attract attention or tell someone about his assault on her.

Last edited:
From an earlier article about Mars

“According to the state sex offender registry, Mars was convicted of child rape and assault and battery on a child under 14 in 1995. He is listed as a Level 3 sex offender, considered the most likely to reoffend. His most recent address was in Bedford.”

He was convicted of child rape and assault in 1995, but was living in his home town at the time of his arrest for Betty’s murder.

Terrible.

by: Tony Fay Posted: May 2, 2024
View attachment 500895
'SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – A nearly 58-year-old homicide investigation may finally come to a close in a Springfield courtroom on Thursday morning. That is where convicted sex offender Donald Mars is expected to change his plea to guilty in the 1966 murder of 10-year-old Betty Lou Zukowski.'
In this video, the prosecutor mentions he had two prior incarcerations for separate child molestation charges. At least he spent some time in prison.

Very disturbing that he molested and murdered this girl when he was only 17. I wonder how he met her and lured her out? At 17, did he have his own car? Someone saw her with him, as police were able to draw a sketch. Her friends mentioned a mystery guy named "Ralph".

I wonder how many other girls he attacked? Time to look up some of the older cases from that area.

Here's a place to start (this from 2022):

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BJarv
Back