Man lights himself on fire in park near the courthouse where Donald Trumps trial is taken place. April 19, 2024

His writing is surprisingly coherent. Plenty of the content is off the rails but his clarity of writing is very good. It doesn’t read like the writing of someone with extremely disordered thinking. I was surprised. He also comes across as genuinely kindhearted.

I’m sorry to hear he’s passed away. I think we owe it to him to try to figure out what was going on in his head. It might spare the next person who feels the same way.

His writing is surprisingly coherent. Plenty of the content is off the rails but his clarity of writing is very good. It doesn’t read like the writing of someone with extremely disordered thinking. I was surprised. He also comes across as genuinely kindhearted.

I’m sorry to hear he’s passed away. I think we owe it to him to try to figure out what was going on in his head. It might spare the next person who feels the same way.
It appears he started to unravel after the death of his mother in 2022.

At the park on Thursday, Mr. Azzarello had held up various signs and at one point shouted toward a group of reporters gathered there, “Biggest scoop of your life or your money back!” One of his signs claimed that Mr. Trump and President Biden were “about to fascist coup us.”

“Trump’s in on it,” Mr. Azzarello said on Thursday. “It’s a secret kleptocracy, and it can only lead to an apocalyptic fascist coup.”

“When I saw and smelled the smoke I thought someone, I assumed one of the pro-Trump protesters, had lit a fire in the park,” Mr. Oliver said. “When I saw police and court officers running, I then thought it might have been a bomb.”

“Like frogs in water coming to a boil, the public didn’t notice the rotten truth behind the illusion of freedom,” the writings state. The man who had written fondly of his mother just a year earlier — “gracious and warm, silly and catty, compassionate and supportive” — and their time together seemed to have disappeared.

As a student at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, N.J., where he received a master’s degree in city and regional planning in 2012, he was known for leaving supportive Post-it notes for classmates in the hallways and for his karaoke performances of Frank Sinatra and Disney tunes, said a former classmate, Katie Brennan.

IMO this act is due to an extremely troubled mind. It is not, IMO, an act of bravery or ethical idealization or anything of the sort.

His writings betray a mind bent by outlandish conspiracy theories, and his previous mug shots display a mind beset by mental health issues, it would seem.

What does this tragic act accomplish other than a few days of sensationalist news?

Those who knew him describe a man who seemed fine, and posit that he spiraled down after the death of his mother.

IMO the Buddhist monk who self-immolated to protest Vietnam’s policy towards Buddhism, back in 1963, is remembered more for the placid stillness he displayed while on fire.

This, to me, is all loss and no gain.
IMG_8809.jpegIMG_8808.jpeg

I don't think somebody burning themselves to death should ever be glorified or seen as heroic. This is not something to encourage mental unstable people to do, as in my opinion you have to mentally unstable to kill yourself in such a brutal way.

Seems like there would have been enough security in this area for his act to have had small chance of "success", but I guess not.

I found that to be disturbing what if he had decided to douse stander by as well, as himself?
He walked up that close to the courthouse with a can of gasoline. No questions asked? I think the lack of security needs to be addressed before an even bigger act of violence occurs.
Are they NOT taking this case seriously?
Imagine being a juror. How safe is it for them to walk to their car every night? Any protection or NONE? We need to do better.
I feel bad for this guy and his family. :(

I found that to be disturbing what if he had decided to douse stander by as well, as himself?
He walked up that close to the courthouse with a can of gasoline. No questions asked? I think the lack of security needs to be addressed before an even bigger act of violence occurs.
Are they NOT taking this case seriously?
Imagine being a juror. How safe is it for them to walk to their car every night? Any protection or NONE? We need to do better.
I feel bad for this guy and his family. :(
Yes, speaking of safety concerns, one of the jurors for this particular Trump trial was dismissed after stating that he feared his identity may be revealed/discovered.

MOO, after seeing the lack of security just across the way at the park … This gentleman’s ability to succeed in this act, I can’t say that I blame the juror for being concerned for his safety. Again, JMO.

Last edited:
After reading this thread, ( and many others here ) I have come to this conclusion.

We are living in a "Mad World ".

"......When people run in circles , it's a very very...Mad World "

MOO and Peace

Yes, speaking of safety concerns, one of the jurors for this particular Trump trial was dismissed after stating that he feared his identity may be revealed/discovered.

MOO, after seeing the lack of security just across the way at the park … This gentleman’s ability to succeed in this act, I can’t say that I blame the juror for being concerned for his safety. Again, JMO.

I don't blame them for being fearful!
They are NOT offering any protections to the jurors or their families. What stops anyone from leaking their info online?

I took a running leap into the rabbit hole. I still feel really sad for Max. <modsnip: diagnosing>

He mentions at one point not sleeping. He says elsewhere that he did 1500 hours of research. Honestly he may have. The things that were hard facts and able to be verified are accurate. Like the people he mentions own the companies he says they do, etc.

He sometimes writes and says “we.” Are we to assume that is the royal we or did someone else work on the writing with him?

I’ll also say that some of the other stuff he wrote has more mistakes and is less clear. I’m getting the idea that he was very intelligent and that his mental stability vacillated. I still feel he wanted to help people but I wish he would have helped himself.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip: diagnosing>

RIP :(
Condolences to family.

JMO

There are 10000% ways to get your message out without hurting yourself or anyone else (in the case of the unabomber). Definitely.

<modsnip: referenced post was removed>

• Love
Reactions: abr
His neighbor’s statement is really sad. He says he keeps thinking that Max probably wished he hadn’t set himself on fire a few seconds after he did it.

I think it fits what I’ve gleaned about him that he was an organ donor. He seems like he wanted to be a helper at his core, and I think that shines through his writing and is the most powerful part. Just a simple, we can help each other.

I also found it ironic and sad that if I’d seen his car my curiosity would have led me to his substack from the address being written on there. He didn’t need to take his life to be heard.

Thanks mods for catching my earlier error. I’m doing my best to be careful in my posts about this odd case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Engeluc
Back