MD MD - Anna Stefanatos, 44, Elkton, 11 June 1996

SurrealisticSlumbers

Reaction score
3491DFMD_LARGE.jpg

Anna three years prior to her disappearance.

Anna Stefanatos

Endangered Missing

Missing Since:
June 11, 1996
Location Last Seen: Elkton, Cecil County, Maryland
Age When Last Seen: 44 years old (would now be 68)
Nicknames/Aliases: Ms. Lansbury
Date of Birth: 1952
Race: White
Sex: Female
Height: 5'4"
Weight: 90-150 lbs.
Hair: Brown, collar-length and straight.
Eyes: Brown
Dentals: N/A
Fingerprints: N/A
DNA: Available

Distinguishing Marks/Features:
She had a birthmark in the corner of her right eye. She wore contact lenses. Diagnosed as being schizophrenic with delusional thinking.

Clothing/Jewelry:
Last seen wearing turquoise shirt and white shorts.

Circumstances of Disappearance:
Anna Stefanatos, who also went by the name of Ms. Lansbury, was dropped off at the former Sunrise House (a residential program) on 200 Booth Street in Elkton, Maryland on June 11, 1996. She never entered the building and was last seen walking towards High Street.

Ms. Stefanatos had previously walked away and ended up in Washington D.C. On one occasion, she was found on a military base in Germany. After being diagnosed as delusional and schizophrenic in 1984, Anna traveled to Greece, Italy, Germany, Spain, India, and China for what she deemed was her "mission."

If you have any information as to Ms. Stefanatos' whereabouts, you are asked to contact the Elkton Police Department:

Investigating Officer: Det. Andrew Tuer
Phone: 410-398-4200 ex. 36
Email: ATuer@ElktonPD.org
Agency Case #96-006318
NamUs Case #17555

Source(s):
3491DFMD - Anna Stefanatos
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Wow. She was quite resourceful! It's like she could be literally anywhere.

I know! She evidently liked to travel. Few details are available in her case. She does not seem to have family members actively looking for her, which is sad, but understandable given the time that has passed. In the '90s, you would have to be on the lookout for an attractive middle-aged woman who may have seemed erratic in her speech or demeanor (if she wasn't taking her medications). As there's been no age progression done (that I have been able to find), we have to use our imaginations as to what she would look like as a woman in her late sixties today.

That is, if she is still alive. I'd like to think she is peacefully just doing her thing somewhere, but those with schizophrenia - particularly females - are vulnerable in our society if they aren't complying with treatment and are just living out there with no access to resources. Schizophrenia is a lot more common than many realize; the illness afflicts people from all walks of life and levels of education... and those who suffer from it are exponentially more likely to be victims of a violent crime, such as rape or murder, than to commit a violent act themselves. Staying on one's medications is key to leading a "normal" life (and it certainly can be done).

Unfortunately, the side effects of the medications can include things like weight gain and drowsiness, which depending on dosage, can be quite pronounced and lead the person to resist treatment.

I certainly want to believe that the poor dear was not hurt or murdered by someone who targets people like her, wherever she went.

Beautiful post - I totally agree! I'm a retired mental health clinician and have worked with tons of severely and chronically ill people. I was kind of blown away by the fact that her thought processes were organized enough to navigate international travel. She sounds very intelligent and tenacious. Perhaps her impairment is on the less severe side. This does give me hope that she's out there doing her thing, possibly as the eccentric woman of the town who continues working on her mission! Thanks @SurrealisticSlumbers for posting her case!

Beautiful post - I totally agree! I'm a retired mental health clinician and have worked with tons of severely and chronically ill people. I was kind of blown away by the fact that her thought processes were organized enough to navigate international travel. She sounds very intelligent and tenacious. Perhaps her impairment is on the less severe side. This does give me hope that she's out there doing her thing, possibly as the eccentric woman of the town who continues working on her mission! Thanks @SurrealisticSlumbers for posting her case!

Oh, that's really cool, you are an authority on cases like this then! Yes, one would have to be high functioning to manage leaving the country multiple times. Maybe she was able to hold down jobs, handle money, and other day-to-day responsibilities. Some can, some can't. Perhaps she had moments of clarity where she could attend to everyday minutiae. Mental illness is complicated.

177UFIN

177UFIN - Unidentified Female
177UFIN3.jpg
177UFIN4.jpg
177UFIN.jpg
177UFIN5.jpg

Date of Discovery: December 29, 1996
Location of Discovery: South Bend, St. Joseph County, Indiana
Estimated Date of Death: 1-2 years prior
State of Remains: Skeletal
Cause of Death: Undetermined; suspected homicide

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 21-35 years old
Height: 5'1"
Weight: 110 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown, medium length
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Medium length brown hair. She had no previous broken bones but her nose may have been broken in the past. Spondylolysis of 5th lumbar, unknown if problem during life.

Identifiers
Dentals: Available. She had excellent dental hygiene. No Upper Lateral Incisors (genetic trait). Just one filling.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Available.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: None.
Jewelry: None.
Additional Personal Items: None.

Circumstances of Discovery
The victim was located by hunters just 6/10 miles from US Highway 31, pasture is overgrown with thick brush, at the foot of a power pylon on December 29, 1996.

The terrain in this area is very rough and is only accessible by 4-wheel drive vehicles. This area is about three miles south of South Bend, Indiana.

She is known to authorities as "Madison."

height of by a couple of inches

177UFIN

177UFIN - Unidentified Female
177UFIN3.jpg
177UFIN4.jpg
177UFIN.jpg
177UFIN5.jpg

Date of Discovery: December 29, 1996
Location of Discovery: South Bend, St. Joseph County, Indiana
Estimated Date of Death: 1-2 years prior
State of Remains: Skeletal
Cause of Death: Undetermined; suspected homicide

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 21-35 years old
Height: 5'1"
Weight: 110 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown, medium length
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Medium length brown hair. She had no previous broken bones but her nose may have been broken in the past. Spondylolysis of 5th lumbar, unknown if problem during life.

Identifiers
Dentals: Available. She had excellent dental hygiene. No Upper Lateral Incisors (genetic trait). Just one filling.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Available.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: None.
Jewelry: None.
Additional Personal Items: None.

Circumstances of Discovery
The victim was located by hunters just 6/10 miles from US Highway 31, pasture is overgrown with thick brush, at the foot of a power pylon on December 29, 1996.

The terrain in this area is very rough and is only accessible by 4-wheel drive vehicles. This area is about three miles south of South Bend, Indiana.

She is known to authorities as "Madison."

height of by a couple of inches

That one looks promising.

bump

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members