MD - Forbes “30 Under 30” CEO Pava LaPere, 26, found with blunt-force trauma, Baltimore, 25 September 2023

@LifeIsAMystery : Thanks for the link; explains a lot.

I read about this case at the Daily Mail (links below) and was wondering why she opened the door for him ?

Poor Pava, may she rest in peace !

This sickening monster should not have been walking freely at all !
Omo.

Ask your friends if would they open the door for a stranger. You'd be shocked how many would without a second thought.
I have adult female friends who said they would without thinking twice, to be a good neighbor, to be helpful. I was told that NOT doing so is considered RUDE and PARANOID.
I have a female friend who told me violent crimes are rare and that I was insane to assume everyone is potentially dangerous...so ask your friends and see what they say.

Ask your friends if would they open the door for a stranger. You'd be shocked how many would without a second thought.
I have adult female friends who said they would without thinking twice, to be a good neighbor, to be helpful. I was told that NOT doing so is considered RUDE and PARANOID.
I have a female friend who told me violent crimes are rare and that I was insane to assume everyone is potentially dangerous...so ask your friends and see what they say.
IMO, many women are more concerned with hurting a man's feelings, than keeping themselves safe. Believe me, sister, a man's feelings will mend far easier than your physical wounds

I think women should stand up for their own and other women's safety, and any decent man will understand that.

JMO

IMO, many women are more concerned with hurting a man's feelings, than keeping themselves safe. Believe me, sister, a man's feelings will mend far easier than your physical wounds

I think women should stand up for their own and other women's safety, and any decent man will understand that.

JMO
I think the message is lost that the perp might very well use charm and polite manners to gain control. The bad guy isn't necessarily going to snarl or have shifty eyes to give warning.

jmo

JMO
I don't think in this instance her decision to let him in the building had anything to do with hurting a man's feelings. I think she was a good and decent person who could never imagine the man standing behind her had bad intentions: it would not occur to her- she was a trusting and naieve individual and sadly she paid a terrible price.

I don't think in this instance her decision to let him in the building had anything to do with hurting a man's feelings. I think she was a good and decent person who could never imagine the man standing behind her had bad intentions: it would not occur to her- she was a trusting and naieve individual and sadly she paid a terrible price.
Yes, I was responding to women in general being uncomfortable, not to this case specifically. Apologies.

jmo

I think the message is lost that the perp might very well use charm and polite manners to gain control. The bad guy isn't necessarily going to snarl or have shifty eyes to give warning.

jmo
That's exactly what I mean.

Because the guy seems 'nice', women think 'Oh, I don't want to be mean and not let him in to the building.'

Rather, let's think 'I don't care how nice someone seems, this is a stranger and on principal, I don't enable strangers to bypass the security system that is in place for all of us'.

'If you need to get into the building, call someone who knows you, call the property management company, but don't expect you can sweet talk a solo woman into violating basic security regulations and her own safety'.

Then there's less pressure on women to judge for themselves whether a person is dangerous or not, whether all people are dangerous or not. It's just setting reasonable boundaries.

JMO

Sad case. And, it definitely seems that if PL hadn't let this perp. in to the building, she would probably still be alive. Though this is incredibly tragic, it's good that the video cameras caught the perp. & basically "told the story" of what happened. This obviously made the investigation easier - than it would have been without the footage.

And, the perp. helped even further by being intelligent enough to go back to the scene of the crime a couple of days later. Good to hear that he was essentially doing the investigators' job for them.

I've never lived in an apt. complex like the one that the victim lived in (with keys that you need to use to get into the building, etc.). But, I agree 100% that every resident in a place like this should not let people in that they don't know. If you live there & you forget your keys, it's on you. If someone is upset about this, tough. Look what "being nice" gets you. In this case, it cost PL her life.

I have been in situations where I haven't opened doors/gates for people that I don't know. Again, if you legitimately are allowed to get into this location & forgot/lost your key, it's on you. And, if you're not supposed to be there - it's good that the locked door/gate is KEEPING YOU OUT.

Situational awareness; being suspicious of strangers; etc. is key to surviving in this world. Those of us who follow true crime should be especially aware of this.

Last edited:
Sad case. And, it definitely seems that if PL hadn't let this perp. in to the building, she would probably still be alive. Though this is incredibly tragic, it's good that the video cameras caught the perp. & basically "told the story" of what happened - which obviously made the investigators job a lot easier.

I've never lived in an apt. complex like the one that the victim lived in (with keys that you need to use to get into the building, etc.). But, I agree 100% that every resident of one of these places should not let people in that they don't know. If you live there & you forget your keys, it's on you. If someone is upset about this, tough. Look what "being nice" gets you. In this case, it cost PL her life.

I have been in situations where I haven't opened doors/gates for people that I don't know. Again, if you don't have a key - it's on you.
Many years ago I lived in a high rise and to the best of my recall I probably let in people who were behind me who probably didn't belong in the building. Sometimes we just do something stupid- without thinking----

and if he was wearing a maintenance outfit she'd think he had a legal right to access the building, right?

Many years ago I lived in a high rise and to the best of my recall I probably let in people who were behind me who probably didn't belong in the building. Sometimes we just do something stupid- without thinking----
Delivery people, pizza guy, Door Dash, all can be followed in, or in an incident in my city, a food delivery guy used that access to case a building. He then accessed keys and robbed apartments, a package room and a car from the garage to transport loot. When the front desk person saw the video the next day, he recognized the guy immediately. Most buildings do not have 24/7 staff watching cameras or security that walks the building, so cameras just capture what did happen but don't add much safety.

To save $$$ most places do.
Basic background checks (including for Sex Offenses) are relatively inexpensive. Per this site they could have done a basic check for as little as $25.

It's mind boggling to think that $25 might have saved such a tragedy on Edmonton Street.

JMO

Last edited:
Basic background checks (including for Sex Offenses) are relatively inexpensive. Per this site they could have done a basic check for as little as $25.

It's mind boggling to think that $25 might have saved such a tragedy on Edmonton Street.

JMO

They probably hired a felon on purpose to save money. They have been aware that he was a Sex Offender, but I guess we will find out.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
holliryann
Back