MD - Freddie Gray dies in police custody #3 *INDICTMENT*

Status
Not open for further replies.
If my kid got his spine broken and died while in police custody, I would probably shoot the cops myself. Just saying.

If my kid got his spine broken and died while in police custody, I would probably shoot the cops myself. Just saying.

BBM
that part seems to have been forgotten. The concern now seems to be whether or not MM has an agenda.

Attorneys for five of the six officers have not spoken publicly about the case since charges were filed. Ivan Bates and Tony Garcia, who represent Sgt. Alicia White, gave a news conference Wednesday to defend White and criticize the prosecution.

"I can say emphatically when this trial is complete and all the evidence is laid bare, you'll see perhaps justice wasn't the only thing the state's attorney was attempting to accomplish here," Garcia said at the event, "and that perhaps you'll see that there's a fine line between fame and infamy."

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/prosecutor-in-freddie-gray-case-seeks-gag-order/33047782

BBM
that part seems to have been forgotten. The concern now seems to be whether or not MM has an agenda.

Underlined by me. That is a very serious, and enormous concern.

It is a very serious concern as fundamental as finding out what happened to FG. MM has alleged that there is no way what happened to FG was anything OTHER than a crime perpetuated by 6 officers. And the way she has gone about that, as well as other high profile unethical behavior, is immensely worrisome to many, many people. Abuse of power at her level is abhorrent, and cannot go unchallenged.

The concerns of so many, especially the concerns of legal experts, on her conduct, are not just political opinions, but grave concerns about the moral and ethical nature of her conduct IN OFFICE, and her ability (or not) to be an impartial seeker of justice. Right now, the metaphorical wind blowing downstream from her smells pretty questionable, and she is not only oozing, but dripping with hyprocrisy.

Her actions have quickly moved beyond being merely impulsive mistakes of a youthful and inexperienced prosecutor.

The ends do not justify "any" means, IMO.

Just reference Mike Nifong.

This case could not get any lower now imo.

6 law enforcement officers facing various charges over a death in custody, all levels of the prosecution under fire for unethical behavior, the mayor under fire, the chief of police under fire - all officers of the court in one capacity or another. All collecting taxpayers money to up hold the laws. No one trusting anyone, no one having anything good to say about anyone.

To me, most of the posts and the media coverage are now pointing to the possibility the US no longer has anything resembling a justice system. Y'all have a big problem imo, and no control at all over what tax funded personnel do with your money.

6 law enforcement officers facing various charges over a death in custody, all levels of the prosecution under fire for unethical behavior, the mayor under fire, the chief of police under fire - all officers of the court in one capacity or another. All collecting taxpayers money to up hold the laws. No one trusting anyone, no one having anything good to say about anyone.

To me, most of the posts and the media coverage are now pointing to the possibility the US no longer has anything resembling a justice system. Y'all have a big problem imo, and no control at all over what tax funded personnel do with your money.

BBM. It is true that it is extremely difficult, complex, and time consuming to discipline, or remove, any elected official. Often too difficult, IMO.

That is precisely why the concern about Marilyn Mosby's agenda and unethical behavior is such an immense and critical issue. Were she not an elected official, and was an employee, she likely would have been fired for her onstage appearance at the Prince rally alone-- and also disciplined or fired for her highly unethical and inflammatory remarks at her press conference.

Marilyn Mosby has a very serious integrity, and credibility problem. She is widely perceived as unethical. And apparently she doesn't care. Her "not caring" about her integrity is the biggest abuse of all, IMO. I think she should resign and immediately step down, but that's not gonna happen, lol!

BBM. I haven't seen any evidence this incident has affected the justice system in other states. The justice system is run by the state. A problem in one city isn't necessarily a problem in another.

JMO

Another sweeping generalization condemning the USA . It is not our laws that are a problem but rather those that would circumvent them and make life more comfortable for those that disobey them.

RSBM

And if we were in many other countries in the world the same issues would exist but we would not have the right to freely speak about them...so I'll take this system any day, imperfect as it is.

WASHINGTON – A few miles off in any direction, and the debate about the knife involved in Freddie Gray's arrest by Baltimore police may have been completely different.

The state of Maryland has one set of laws governing knives. The city of Baltimore has its own rules.

SNIP

A conflict between laws about knives is not unique to Maryland. Nationwide, knife laws vary in neighboring towns, counties, cities and states. This mishmash makes it difficult for citizens to comply.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/05/1...ay-death-confusion-can-result-from-one-place/

RANDOM REMINDER: If we cannot link to it it is not part of the discussion.

You cant judge all of the justice system based on one case in one city or even with a handful of other cases/cities. Thousands of cases go through our justice system here without a hitch yearly and are upheld by the higher courts.

But every once in awhile we do see where cases are not processed properly. We do see elected officials step out of their ethical duties and become more politically driven.

It is extremely rare for any DA to speak out and say the remarks that MM has done. That is why it was so shocking and concerns many in this country. DAs are to have no allegiance to the victims or biases against those they prosecute. They are only there to produce the facts in evidence to support the charge or charges. MM went way beyond that and personally I feel she has way overcharged the cases. The only reason I can see her doing so is for notoriety.

We as taxpayers should be able to trust our elected officials to do the ethical and moral thing in all issues but abuse of power does happen at times and its not just in America either.

I read international news and this is not just happening in America as some like to say.

There is no justice system without flaws because human beings are in control but it is by far the best justice system in the world imo and I wouldn't trade it for any amount of money.

She may get her charges when the GJ meets. GJs only hear one side and one side only and the defendants nor defense attorneys are allowed to know how the GJ came to their decision. Not for now anyway. They will know when the cases go to trial. But getting indictments are a far cry from proving all of the charges beyond a reasonable doubt. GJs only decide if the cases should go forward to trial. They do not find innocence or guilt.

I do agree that an investigation should be done by the FBI to see what these high ranking elected officials in larger crime ridden cities have done with the billions poured into them by the taxpayers. The taxpayers do have a right to know where all the money went to help the poorer sections of the city that still remain just as poor and rundown as ever. All of these elected city officials in Baltimore need to be investigated thoroughly by either the FBI or the DOJ or perhaps both.

IMO

is the "th" word still part of this case? if so, greta vs just had a commentary on it - referencing baltimore. hope the video will be up tomorrow to post - if it's allowed.

Prosecutors want a judge to bar attorneys, police and witnesses from talking outside court about the case of Freddie Gray, arguing that statements by attorneys for some of the six police officers accused in Gray’s death could prejudice the public, according to court documents obtained Monday.

“The efforts by defense counsel will have the necessary effect of undermining both the state’s right to present the investigation to a fair and impartial grand jury in this matter and tainting the pool of potential jurors who may ultimately decide this case in a court of law,” wrote Antonio Gioia, a deputy state’s attorney, in the motion filed last week.

snip

The motion also alleged that attorneys for the officers have provided copies of pretrial motions to the media before prosecutors received them.

Prosecutors said that, in contrast, they have denied all media requests for documents and evidence about the investigation to protect the officers’ right to a fair trial.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/...cutor-seeks-gag-order-citing-defense-actions/

Another sweeping generalization condemning the USA . It is not our laws that are a problem but rather those that would circumvent them and make life more comfortable for those that disobey them.

Talk about "sweeping generalizations"... I suppose it's easier to sleep at night believing that the entire problem is the result of unruly individuals circumventing and disobeying. Certainly, there are those who do this, however it does not account for every single encounter and/or incident between LEO and civilians and, even if it did (which it doesn't), it certainly doesn't excuse bad and immoral behavior on the part of LE - EVER.

Prosecutors want a judge to bar attorneys, police and witnesses from talking outside court about the case of Freddie Gray, arguing that statements by attorneys for some of the six police officers accused in Gray’s death could prejudice the public, according to court documents obtained Monday.

“The efforts by defense counsel will have the necessary effect of undermining both the state’s right to present the investigation to a fair and impartial grand jury in this matter and tainting the pool of potential jurors who may ultimately decide this case in a court of law,” wrote Antonio Gioia, a deputy state’s attorney, in the motion filed last week.

snip

The motion also alleged that attorneys for the officers have provided copies of pretrial motions to the media before prosecutors received them.

Prosecutors said that, in contrast, they have denied all media requests for documents and evidence about the investigation to protect the officers’ right to a fair trial.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/...cutor-seeks-gag-order-citing-defense-actions/

(BBM and red color.)

Wow, talk about a bait and switch! The issue is NOT that Marilyn Mosby is refusing to share evidence with the MEDIA. The issue is Marilyn Mosby is refusing to share evidence with DEFENSE ATTORNEYS for the accused officers. EVIDENCE that she based her charges on. That is quite a serious and significant difference from not sharing evidence with the media.

So, now that MM has been roundly criticized for the manner in which she conducted her own investigation, and the manner in which she chose to bring what most experts feel are wildly excessive and irresponsible charges, and the manner in which she conducted her "charging ceremony", and the unethical and irresponsible "speechifying" she did at her charging ceremony/ rally, she'd really just like everyone to stop talking about it?? Really???

Mmmmhmmmm. That's another glaring example of hypocritical and unethical, dontcha think? In this particular case, the MEDIA is not the problem preventing the officers from having a fair trial. In this particular case, IMO, it's the PROSECUTOR, and the PROSECUTOR's statements, and the PROSECUTOR's unethical behavior, that has prejudiced the public, and prevented the accused officers from having a fair trial.

You cant judge all of the justice system based on one case in one city or even with a handful of other cases/cities. Thousands of cases go through our justice system here without a hitch yearly and are upheld by the higher courts.

But every once in awhile we do see where cases are not processed properly. We do see elected officials step out of their ethical duties and become more politically driven.

It is extremely rare for any DA to speak out and say the remarks that MM has done. That is why it was so shocking and concerns many in this country. DAs are to have no allegiance to the victims or biases against those they prosecute. They are only there to produce the facts in evidence to support the charge or charges. MM went way beyond that and personally I feel she has way overcharged the cases. The only reason I can see her doing so is for notoriety.

We as taxpayers should be able to trust our elected officials to do the ethical and moral thing in all issues but abuse of power does happen at times and its not just in America either.

I read international news and this is not just happening in America as some like to say.

There is no justice system without flaws because human beings are in control but it is by far the best justice system in the world imo and I wouldn't trade it for any amount of money.

She may get her charges when the GJ meets. GJs only hear one side and one side only and the defendants nor defense attorneys are allowed to know how the GJ came to their decision. Not for now anyway. They will know when the cases go to trial. But getting indictments are a far cry from proving all of the charges beyond a reasonable doubt. GJs only decide if the cases should go forward to trial. They do not find innocence or guilt.

I do agree that an investigation should be done by the FBI to see what these high ranking elected officials in larger crime ridden cities have done with the billions poured into them by the taxpayers. The taxpayers do have a right to know where all the money went to help the poorer sections of the city that still remain just as poor and rundown as ever. All of these elected city officials in Baltimore need to be investigated thoroughly by either the FBI or the DOJ or perhaps both.

IMO

Yes, so easy to blame the crime problem in inner cities on the officers on the street. Really pathetic actions on the part of Baltimore politicians. Where is the money? Lining whose pockets.

I think the culture of crime in certain cities, is not because of the Police, but because of corruption of the politicians. Just look at who Mosley has surrounded herself with.

LE on the streets are in an impossible situation, imo. There is less and less respect shown to them, and the sh** they have to put up on a daily basis is crazy.

Mosley is making her own rules in this case, and what will the new US Attorney General do?? I am so glad Erick Holder is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonFly57