Identified! MD - Glen Burnie, WhtMale Skeletal 29UMMD, 18-30, in trash can, Apr'85 - Roger Kelso

This case of an unidentified man found in a trash can in Glen Burnie, Maryland in 1985 was first posted on Websleuths in 2006. It has been an active thread for 13 years.

Today, investigators held a news conference to formally announce the identification of this young man.

He was evidently murdered in 1963, and the case now moves to another level in an attempt to determine who killed him.

This case of an unidentified man found in a trash can in Glen Burnie, Maryland in 1985 was first posted on Websleuths in 2006. It has been an active thread for 13 years.

Today, investigators held a news conference to formally announce the identification of this young man.

He was evidently murdered in 1963, and the case now moves to another level in an attempt to determine who killed him.
Maybe the 2 threads can be merged.

I'm so glad to see resolution in this case. Prayers going out for the family & friends of Roger.
I am a bit confused & I hope someone can help me understand. At the beginning of this thread the Doe Listing 29UMMD states he was wearing "....black leather lace up shoes with "Bonded Cellulose" stamped on the inside bottom (Bonded Cellulose patent filed on April 3, 1970; Patent #3643353)."
I understand the date of death is now listed as 1963 by LE. So I dont understand if the doe was wearing shoes that had a "patent filed stamp of 1970" how did he die in 1963?

Is there a date of death discrepancy in WS? Is there an incorrect Doe listed on page 1 of the thread? Or, do we have 2 John Does with similar profiles both mixes into the same thread?

Last edited:
I'm so glad to see resolution in this case. Prayers going out for the family & friends of Roger.
I am a bit confused & I hope someone can help me understand. At the beginning of this thread the Doe Listing 29UMMD states he was wearing "....black leather lace up shoes with "Bonded Cellulose" stamped on the inside bottom (Bonded Cellulose patent filed on April 3, 1970; Patent #3643353)."
I understand the date of death is now listed as 1963 by LE. So I dont understand if the doe was wearing shoes that had a "patent filed stamp of 1970" how did he die in 1963?

Is there a date of death discrepancy in WS? Is there an incorrect Doe listed on page 1 of the thread? Or, do we have 2 John Does with similar profiles both mixes into the same thread?

The resolution of this case has a few unanswered questions. I do not know why the date discrepancy in the shoe date. It would seem to be a simple typo, but a check of the patent records might confirm that.

The very long time between Roger's disappearance and the discovery of the body with all the clothing intact is also a mystery, since it would appear that he had been buried in that metal trash can for about 22 years.

The keys and key fob found with the body could be a significant clue. Were they his, or possibly the killer's?

The resolution of this case has a few unanswered questions. I do not know why the date discrepancy in the shoe date. It would seem to be a simple typo, but a check of the patent records might confirm that.

The very long time between Roger's disappearance and the discovery of the body with all the clothing intact is also a mystery, since it would appear that he had been buried in that metal trash can for about 22 years.

The keys and key fob found with the body could be a significant clue. Were they his, or possibly the killer's?
Wouldnt that take the cake? Murder someone, bury them inside a metal trash can, get to your car and realize "where are my keys?" Desperately grasping every pocket, a mad dash back to the area, retracing steps and the sudden realization the keys are in the trash can.. that they just buried with their victim. This just gave me pure delite lol
Not making light of such a sad story but I hope the murderer did experience issue after issue, karma if you will.

“The keys and key fob found with the body could be a significant clue. Were they his, or possibly the killer's?“

What type of car in that era had a key fob? Are they using that term to describe what we use it to describe these days? The key is a big clue to the type of car but was it Rogers car or the perps car?

“The keys and key fob found with the body could be a significant clue. Were they his, or possibly the killer's?“

What type of car in that era had a key fob? Are they using that term to describe what we use it to describe these days? The key is a big clue to the type of car but was it Rogers car or the perps car?

29UMMD4.jpg
29UMMD.jpg
29UMMD1.jpg
29UMMD2.jpg
29UMMD3.jpg

Artistic rendering and reconstruction of the victim; Victim's keys

Date of Discovery: April 23, 1985
Location of Discovery: Glen Burnie, Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Estimated Date of Death: About 5 months to years prior
State of Remains: Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction
Cause of Death: Homicide

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 16-25 years old
Race: White
Height: 5'8" to 5'11"
Weight: 155-165 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Slim build.

Identifiers
Dentals: Available. The victim may have been treated at a dental school because the quality and extensiveness would be costly from private practice.
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Available

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Gray (or blue/black) wool sweater, off-white long-sleeve Limited Edition button down shirt with snaps on the collar, khaki (off-white, tan, or beige) pants with cuffed legs and adjustable buttons on the side of the waist band and a metal zipper (size 28/27), brief style underpants, white or off-white undershirt, and black leather lace up shoes with "Bonded Cellulose" stamped on the inside bottom (Bonded Cellulose patent filed on April 3, 1970; Patent #3643353).
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Plastic comb, coins, nail clippers, small cannister, three folded sheets of paper, and a ring of keys including what appeared to be an apartment/hotel key with some letters.

Circumstances of Discovery
The victim's skeletal remains were found during the excavation of the construction site for Marley Station Mall in Glen Burnie. The body was found in a metal trash container.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Maryland Office of the Chief Medical Examiner
Agency Contact Person: Charlotte Noranbrock
Agency Phone Number: 410-333-3225
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: 142852A

Agency Name: Anne Arundel County Police Department
Agency Contact Person: Homicide Unit - Cold Case Squad
Agency Phone Number: 410-222-4731 or 4700
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: 1985-055625

NCIC Case Number: U158161438
NamUs Case Number: 1891

Information Source(s)
Namus
WBALTV News
Anne Arundel County Police Department

The key "fob" looks like a key ring. Reports say it's possibly an apt. or hotel room key. You're likely correct in your thinking that they've used today's word (fob) to describe yesterday's key ring. MOO

A "Fob" is a piece of metal, plastic, leather, etc which is attached to the key ring itself. In this case the round metal emblem is the Fob. Two of the keys which look to be the same make are old Schlage keys which go to a door knob for a house. The small key is probably to a padlock, and the long key with an oval shaped end could be just about anything, but it does not look like the ignition key of any American vehicles of the 1960's.

Oscar

Oscar-2018.jpg

On April 23rd, 1985, the decomposed remains of a human body were found during the excavation of the construction site of the Marley Station Mall in Glen Burnie, Md. The body was found in a metal trash container.

Examinations revealed the remains were that of a white male in his mid 20’s, approx. 5’8” to 5’11” tall slim build with brown hair. He was wearing a blue and black sweater, slacks and leather shoes.
It was estimated that the victim was deceased for approximately five months.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Gray (or blue/black) wool sweater, off-white long-sleeve Limited Edition button down shirt with snaps on the collar, khaki (off-white, tan, or beige) pants with cuffed legs and adjustable buttons on the side of the waist band and a metal zipper (size 28/27), brief style underpants, white or off-white undershirt, and black leather lace up shoes with "Bonded Cellulose" stamped on the inside bottom (Bonded Cellulose patent filed on April 3, 1970; Patent #3643353).
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Plastic comb, coins, nail clippers, small cannister, three folded sheets of paper, and a ring of keys including what appeared to be an apartment/hotel key with some letters.

When body was found in 1985, police estimated victim was deceased for approximately 5 months. They were way way off on the time of death. They had a very detailed description of clothing and shoes. I wonder how much time they spend researching the clothing and shoes. Seems to me they could have narrowed down the time clothing was manufactured. I would think the clothing looked like it was from the 60's not the 80's. The patent on the shoes, doesn't match up with time of death. I wonder if they ever tried to trace the metal trash can. There weren't many hotel/motels in the area. Did they ever try to trace keys. Did they ever interview the family that sold the land to Marley Station Mall. His home on Whip Lane in Glen Burnie, is less than 5 miles from Marley Station Mall. Unbelievable how close he was to his home and remained a John Doe for so many years. I drove past the mall for many years and always thought about this case. One of the earlier flyers released, mention the victim may have worked with horses. There are only a few stables in the area. I wonder if they checked employee records. I had a bad experience with the Anne Arundel County Police in 1977, in regards to a missing family member. They did absolutely nothing, other than write up a missing person report. The body was found 8 days later. Manner of death was undetermined. Coroner could not determine if injuries were from an accident or done by an assailant. No investigation was ever done, still no closure after all these years. So I don't put much faith in the AA CO Police Dept. They have many unsolved homicides.

I dug around a little and cannot find that patent number. It may be an incomplete number from looking at the bonded cellulose patents I did find. I wonder if the person typing the info in parenthesis means the detail was added later to the actual record. Meaning when they researched the rubber stamp as part of the investigation, that is LEs attempt to identify their source.

In my mind I kept picturing an big old metal trash barrel like what we used to burn trash in. I re-read the original posts again. It was a metal trash container. Those old time metal trash cans were not that big. How did they get this person, who was 5’ 8” minimum, in that can? It sounds like he was a slender man but still. The perp had to have been exceedingly strong to get a body in the can.

... In my mind I kept picturing an big old metal trash barrel like what we used to burn trash in. I re-read the original posts again. It was a metal trash container. Those old time metal trash cans were not that big. How did they get this person, who was 5’ 8” minimum, in that can? It sounds like he was a slender man but still. The perp had to have been exceedingly strong to get a body in the can.

Metal trash cans are still being made today, although most people now use plastic containers with wheels for their trash pick-up. One common use for the metal trash cans is for storage of animal feed and grass seed, because metal keeps mice and rats from getting to it.

They do come in several different sizes, and the larger ones are big enough to hold the body of an average size person.

So many unknowns. He was found in metal trash container, that's it. How heavy was the container? Could it have been moved by one person, or would it have taken two people to move? He left home. Did he have a car, did he have a job, did he have any money or possessions with him when he left, did he have friends or a girlfriend at the time he left? They said he was the president of his high school art club. Is it still possible to check DMV records for the 1960's? Did they ever check to see if anyone used his social security #? I know there were several boarding houses in the Glen Burnie area in the 1970's, cheap motels and a YMCA. He may have been living out of a boarding house or cheap motel. What was the small canister used for? Is there anyway to tell what, if anything, was written on folded papers?

Here is a link to a website that specializes in vintage automobile keys.

Note that although these are the key blanks specifically designed as original manufacturer's keys, after market key blanks would have had shapes similar to the originals.

Ignition Key Blanks For Sale - Vintage Car Parts
I looked at these examples. If I had to choose one, I’d say a Ford. I agree the two similar look like doorknob keys. I think the little one goes to a safe, screen door, or maybe a padlock for a locker.

So if he did have a car, did they ever try to trace it? Marley Station Mall opened in 1987. Victim was found in 1985. I wonder if victim was dumped there in the 1960's or later. Seems they would have been able to tell how long container was there by vegetation growth.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
utahtruecrimepod
Back