ME ME - Ayla Reynolds, 20 mnths, Waterville, 17 December 2011 - # 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/ayla-reynolds-mom-finish-polygraph/story?id=15393857#.TxhmB_k_LIU

Kenneth Blackstone, a forensic polygraph examiner based in Atlanta, said that individuals sitting for polygraph tests are usually screened ahead of the test for any medical conditions that might interfere with the test.

"If a person is having physical problems, something that is observable, like coughing or saying 'I don't feel good,' you don't test them. But that is brought up in the pre-test interview, which is the longest part of the whole thing," Blackstone said, noting that a person who is ill when taking the test could use the condition later to discredit the test's results.

Blackstone said he did not know why Reynolds was allowed to take the test and then stopped in the middle, but said he was surprised administrators said they were satisfied with the test.

"There's no way to be satisfied with an incomplete test," he said.

Things that make ya go "HMMMMMMM...."

She can say whatever she likes about the test since LE isn't commenting but if it's true that she has been asking from Day 1 to be polygraphed and it took this long for the polygraph to be arranged it sounds like the results aren't all that important to LE. Maybe they have confirmed by other means what she's telling the truth or lying about, so the polygraph makes little difference in the overall scheme of the investigation and they could be satisfied with an incomplete test just as they were with no test.

Does anyone think her "medical condition" could be related to substance/alcohol abuse again? I'm not saying TR has relapsed, but she is an addict. Given the enormous stress of this situation, it is not unrealistic to assume that she turned to what has probably helped her cope in the past. I know rehab gives people better coping skills, but her rehab was only 10 days---basically a detox. Just a guess, and MOO.

That was my first thought when I read the statement.

She can say whatever she likes about the test since LE isn't commenting but if it's true that she has been asking from Day 1 to be polygraphed and it took this long for the polygraph to be arranged it sounds like the results aren't all that important to LE. Maybe they have confirmed by other means what she's telling the truth or lying about, so the polygraph makes little difference in the overall scheme of the investigation and they could be satisfied with an incomplete test just as they were with no test.

This entire case just gets weirder by the day. It seems like many things with her and JD are tit-for-tat (her filing custody without telling him for starters). Then, she didn't really talk about lie detector tests and such until it was revealed that JD took one and all the hoopla surrounding his results. At the point, she was saying she'll take one AND release the results. Another one-upper, IMO.

FWIW - my dh was the commander for the Army's Polygraph detachment. He's EXTREMELY knowledgeable on ALL the ins and outs of LDT -- and I just emailed him to get his thoughts (since he knows nothing about these cases - his reply will be completely unbiased) and ask him "What 'illness' could cause an administrator/examiner to feel a test wouldn't be accurate?" Could something like bronchitis, respiratory illness, alcoholism, panic attack, etc?

I'll post his reply when I get it.

FWIW - my dh was the commander for the Army's Polygraph detachment. He's EXTREMELY knowledgeable on ALL the ins and outs of LDT -- and I just emailed him to get his thoughts (since he knows nothing about these cases - his reply will be completely unbiased) and ask him "What 'illness' could cause an administrator/examiner to feel a test wouldn't be accurate?" Could something like bronchitis, respiratory illness, alcoholism, panic attack, etc?

I'll post his reply when I get it.

Here is his reply:

"Those issues would / should be addressed in a pre-test interview.Respiratory most certainly since one of the major components that is measured is breathing. Bronchitis would do the same. Also, an illness that might cause blood pressure to change for no reason or other heart related issues. Anything affecting the sweat glands would also be a factor."

Here is his reply:

"Those issues would / should be addressed in a pre-test interview.Respiratory most certainly since one of the major components that is measured is breathing. Bronchitis would do the same. Also, an illness that might cause blood pressure to change for no reason or other heart related issues. Anything affecting the sweat glands would also be a factor."

Wow your hubby has/had a pretty cool job!

Still I wonder why her test was "stopped", because isn't the pre-test interview standard?

Wow your hubby has/had a pretty cool job!

Still I wonder why her test was "stopped", because isn't the pre-test interview standard?

This is total conjecture and guessing on my part. One of the reasons I suspected asthma is that the onset of severe symptons can appear suddenly. In most cases, they really aren't sudden because there is a "build up" of milder precursors, but I know from experience that a person with chronic asthma might say they were fine or felt okay because they weren't actively struggling at the moment and for them, the way they felt was normal or usual. All MOO.

Just wanted to pipe in here... One of the symptoms of alcohol withdrawl is 'hot flashes'. FWIW There are others but this is one I remember:innocent:

MOO

Is this the same interview she lied in some time ago?

When asked if anybody in the house that night could have something to do with it she includes herself and says, no, WE didn't.

Yes, she gives the impression that she was at home.

Did the birth dates not match?

I don't know what Ayla's grandfather's birth date is (not sure how to find that out), but the RSO's last verified address is Milbridge, ME which is 3 hours from Portland, where RR lives. it looks like a different man in the picture, also.

also FWIW, there is an Examiner.com article (not MSM) that first posted this earlier in the case, and that article has been updated to say that the family had called and said it was not the same RR.

OK - hubby got home and I talked to him and gave him more specifics. Here's what he had to say:

If he were to hazard a guess - he thinks it sounds more like they stopped at the pre-test (interview) portion of the test. Otherwise - there could've been a question answered during the test or a medical problem that arose during the test that was unexpected. He said that if she admitted to using alcohol or drugs within a time frame that it could've still be in her system - that, too, would be 'medical' grounds to not administer the test to fruition.

~~~~~

I then asked him 'what if' someone were to be told they failed a test - but they felt confident they 'smoked it' -- what were his thoughts.

He said: I would be inclined to believe the person taking the test answered truthfully (at a minimum they believe they told the truth and therefore passed it with flying colors).

He also said that a normal person off the street could look at the result sheet and wouldn't have a clue as to how to read it. He said the 'butt pad' is used to measure the sphincter muscle reaction (which was a way, in the past, that was used to try and alterate the true results of the test). He said that many times a person is told they 'failed' if ANYTHING even SLIGHTLY indeterminable (meaning it isn't conclusively deceptive or truthful).

When I told him that the father in this case was who said he 'smoked it' and that he gave permission for LE to release the results - he replied "I bet you won't see those results then if he didn't flat out fail/lie on a question".

If anyone has any other questions - I'd be happy to ask him. He isn't into posting on forums and the like -- but he doesn't mind helping me :)

(HiHater: Yes, it was one of his favorite assignments/jobs!)

oh wow, thanks for posting this. where did you find it? haven't gotten a chance to read it too in-depth, but I wonder who runs it. has a lot of information about JD.

More information but where was the girlfriend's son sleeping? It says they were there.

oh wow, thanks for posting this. where did you find it? haven't gotten a chance to read it too in-depth, but I wonder who runs it. it has a lot of information about JD.

Author
Angela Harry. Part time writer, full time mother and wife for 16 years. Hopeful that with enough prayer and diligence we will be able to bring little Ayla home. Please help.

It's on the page entitled: A beacon of hope (which is on the 'what can you do' page)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewfSleuth