Found Deceased ME - Erik James Foote, 39, Presque Isle, 30 Jan 2024

TwinkieDefense

Reaction score
Feb 8, 2024 article

[…]

A message directly to Erik from his family: We want you to know that you don’t have to worry about anything. You are not in trouble. We are not mad at you. We love you and are here to help you. We are very worried. Please contact us so we can help you.

If you have seen Erik Foote, you can also contact the Aroostook County Sheriff’s Office at 207-532-3471.

[…]

April 10, 2024 article - well this seems strange …

[…]

A former Washburn police sergeant has been arrested for falsifying reports surrounding the disappearance of a local man, authorities said.

Chandler Cole, 54, was arrested by the Aroostook County Sheriff’s Office on March 29 and charged with aggravated forgery, tampering with public records or information, falsifying physical evidence and unsworn falsification, according to court records.

[…]

April 10, 2024 article - well this seems strange …

[…]

A former Washburn police sergeant has been arrested for falsifying reports surrounding the disappearance of a local man, authorities said.

Chandler Cole, 54, was arrested by the Aroostook County Sheriff’s Office on March 29 and charged with aggravated forgery, tampering with public records or information, falsifying physical evidence and unsworn falsification, according to court records.

[…]
From the article:
The investigation appeared to indicate that Cole lied when Foote’s father contacted him to inquire about his son. While Cole’s police reports said he had dropped Foote at Freshies, he told Allan Foote he had dropped his son off at A.R. Gould Memorial Hospital in Presque Isle, court records state.

Cole then allegedly altered his police reports to indicate he had taken Foote to the hospital, according to Chisholm’s report. Chisholm agreed with investigators that there had been criminal conduct and requested a warrant for Cole’s arrest on the four charges, according to court records.

Something makes me think Foote needed medical attention but didn't even make it as far as Freshies. JMO.

April 13, 2024 article

[…]

The search covered from Washburn to Crouseville through neighborhoods and wooded areas.

Baker says, “We have Locating the Lost. They have drones so they will be doing around the river today. We’ll have people on foot here in town knocking on doors asking permission to look around.”

[…]

April 12, 2024 article - I could not access the link provided above by @weepingangel, so for others, here is a link I can open. Appears Mr Cole is asserting his right to silence.

[…]

Deputies recently arrested former Washburn Police Sgt. Chandler Cole for allegedly falsifying records in the case. Cole refused to meet with investigators about his reports and resigned in February, according to Police Chief Cyr Martin.

Cole remains free on $2,500 bail.

[…]

April 12, 2024 article - I could not access the link provided above by @weepingangel, so for others, here is a link I can open. Appears Mr Cole is asserting his right to silence.

[…]

Deputies recently arrested former Washburn Police Sgt. Chandler Cole for allegedly falsifying records in the case. Cole refused to meet with investigators about his reports and resigned in February, according to Police Chief Cyr Martin.

Cole remains free on $2,500 bail.

[…]
(from the article quoted - BBM)

"Foote said her son, who served in the U.S. Army in Korea and Iraq, suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder and depression when he returned from overseas. He also experienced poor physical health, though she declined to specify his ailment."

Mental and physical health issues in a veteran once again. If we add to that a police officer who failed to recognised the distress AND lied about it, it all sounds very bad for Erik.
It's been a long time.
I can only hope he found refuge in a homeless camp or shelter.

Speaking of which, do we know where he lives? and what was he doing on that specific day?

There seem to be a lot of unknowns.

@Lisbeth_S, re Erik’s home base, it appears to also be Washburn, same as his folks. I don’t recall seeing anything about his activities the day he went missing, although his mom met with him January 29; day before he was last seen.

From this same article - Mother of missing Washburn man responds to arrest of ex-police officer - is this:

[…]

The Footes are originally from Aroostook County and had lived in Arizona. When they both retired, they wanted to come home, she said. They settled in Washburn about a year and a half ago. Erik also moved to town.

The Footes saw their son at least once a week prior to Jan. 29, she said.

[…]

March 20, 2024 article - this mentions he may have returned to Washburn the night of January 30. Wonder who saw him in Presque Isle? Is anyone local to the area to provide more information regarding distances between the places referenced? Is walking logical?

[…]

Although Foote was last physically seen in Presque Isle on January 30, 2024, the Aroostook County Sheriff’s Office believes he made it back to Washburn that night. […]

All noted places are within Aroostook County. This is really "up there, rural".. actually NORTH of Quebec.
Washburn and Presque Isle are pretty close.... around 10-12 miles.
No police force in Washburn now, so they have to depend on State Police and Sheriffs office. moo

Even though there has been a very active "search for Erik" page.... I see lots of new brewing information exchange going on in recent days....
moo.
This is really a weird and increasingly complex situation.... for such a small town in Maine.....

A body was found on the bank of the Aroostook River today. No confirmation of identity yet.

April 23, 2024

The parents of a missing Washburn man criticized police for not informing them about the discovery of a dead body in Caribou.

The deceased male was discovered on a bank of the Aroostook River at around 1 p.m. Tuesday, according to a Maine State Police press release.

His parents, Allan and Brenda Foote of Washburn, said Tuesday evening that they learned about the discovery of the body through a news report. They said they had not been contacted by police.

“There’s only one man missing in Aroostook County, and that’s our son,” said Allan Foote.

The Footes said they are upset with police for not contacting them about the discovery of the body

My heart goes out to Mr Foote's family.

The police officer who lied about bringing him to the hospital is not smart enough to be a police officer. Because how does he explain not walking Mr. Foote into the hospital and checking him in and ensuring he received care? Oh I guess he must have just let him out in the parking lot to walk in by himself, like any police officer would. (Rolling my eyes).

The case gained more scrutiny after former Washburn police sergeant Chandler Cole was arrested March 29 for allegedly falsifying the police records pertaining to the missing person investigation.

While he was still with the police, Cole reported that he picked Foote up and dropped him off at Freshies, a Presque Isle convenience store, but told the family he brought Foote to the local hospital. Cole allegedly altered his police report to indicate that he took Foote to the hospital. He later resigned.

Cole remains free on $2,500 bail. He is due to appear in Maine District Court in Presque Isle on May 8.

Sheriff Johnson provided a statement regarding Cole’s alleged conduct, and the impact his arrest may have on the community.

“Due to his actions probably some mistrust was put out there to the public,” Sheriff Johnson says. I guess I would want to pass along the message that … we are going to investigate things and charge people accordingly regardless of their position.”

*Apr 17, 2001 — Deputy Chandler T. Cole, 31, a member of the agency's traffic enforcement unit, was arrested Friday night and has been suspended with pay

Last edited:
Also from the April 12, 2024 article linked by @imstilla.grandma is this -

[…]

In Chief Investigator Crandall’s investigation report, he states: “It appears that Sgt. Cole received the phone call from Erik’s father, Allan Foote, requesting information on his son’s last whereabouts. Sgt. Cole lied stating that Erik had been taken to Presque Isle hospital. Allan later confronted Sgt. Cole {via phone} regarding his lie. Sgt. Cole proceeded to access Spillman to make alterations to his information card to corroborate the lie. This fabrication of information directly impacted law enforcement’s investigation into Erik’s missing person case conducted by the Aroostook County Sheriff’s Office.”

[…]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnceAgain
Back