Media Links Only- **NO DISCUSSION**

Rodney Stafford in town
August 17, 2009
Updated 4 hours ago
<snipped>
Rodney Stafford, the father of murdered eight-year-old Victoria "Tori" Stafford, is in Sault Ste. Marie.

Stafford is cycling from his hometown of Woodstock, Ont., to Edmonton to raise money for Child Find Ontario. View his progress at eye-zon.com.

Stafford will be at Wal-Mart most of the day on behalf of Child Find.

Tori Stafford was abducted April 8 after leaving school in Woodstock. Her remains were found on July 19 in Mount Forest, Ont. Cause of death has not been determined.

A 19-year-old woman and 28-year-old man are in custody on kidnapping and first-degree murder charges.

Rod left Woodstock on Aug. 5.

The Sault Star will have full coverage of this event later today and in tomorrow's newspaper.

Video Included In Article!

Article:
http://www.saultstar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1703297
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'I feel way more motivated to complete this task than anything I've ever done': Stafford
August 17, 2009
Updated 7 hours ago
<snipped>
Most people who cycle across Canada, either for a good cause or just in the spirit of adventure, prepare for months or years for the trek.

Rodney Stafford couldn't do that. His destiny was set out for him after his daughter, Victoria "Tori" Stafford, was abducted and killed April 8 as she walked home from her Woodstock, Ont., school.

Rodney is now riding to Edmonton, where his daughter visited a favourite aunt last year, and will release a single purple &#8212; her favourite colour &#8212; balloon from a mountain in Jasper.

His daughter's memory, and the support of countless people along the way, keep him going, he said in Sault Ste. Marie Monday.

"I wake up in the morning, and I'm a little bit tired, a little bit stiff, but as the day goes on, I'm reaching down and pulling out energy I didn't know I had," said Rodney, 33, who before now had done no cycling and little else in the way of physical activity.

Indeed, Stafford admits to being somewhat aimless &#8212; he was attempting to complete his Grade 12 last spring "when all this happened" &#8212; until now.

"I feel way more motivated to complete this task than anything I've ever done, for sure."

His progress is being GPS-tracked in real time through a company called Eye-zOn, which is being marketed to keep track of children, wandering elderly people and others. Peter Beggs, who is driving a van with Rodney's girlfriend, Whitney, developed the technology after his grandson climbed out of his stroller and briefly went missing.

In cities such as North Bay, Sudbury and the Sault, Stafford and his small support group have set up a table outside the local Walmart or McDonald's with a donation jar that steadily fills by the hour. Some people pause to also offer Stafford a kind word or, in the case of at least one person Monday, lunch.

"For the most part, everybody's been trying to help me through this," said Stafford, who still cries at least once a day over the loss of his daughter, who would have turned nine July 15.

Lisa Hopkins lifted her three-year-old grandson, Ethan Crack, to place some change in the jar and exchange pleasantries. "I feel, if I was in that situation, I would want people to help me," said Hopkins.

"It's sad when you see stuff like that."

Kim, who did not want her last name used, stopped off for some prints and was shocked to see the a face familiar from constant news coverage that followed Tori's disappearance.

"Look at me &#8212; I'm shaking," said Kim. "It's devastating. I feel for him. It must be tough."

Police discovered Tori's remains on July 19, in a rural area north of Toronto. Two residents of Woodstock, which is 125 km southwest of Toronto, are in custody.

Michael Thomas Rafferty, 28, and Terri-Lynne McClintic are charged with kidnapping and first-degree murder in the girl's death.

Stafford set out from Woodstock April. 8. While he initially expected to average 140 km a day and take 31 days to reach Edmonton, the frequent stops to greet well-wishers &#8212; and the limits of his body, which turns 34 next Friday &#8212; have extended that.

However long it takes to finish it, he vows he will finish it.

"I've got the will and support to carry on. I just have the goal to get to the top of that mountain, fall down and say, 'I did it.'"

Those interested can track his progress and journal entries at http://www.eye-zon.com/.

Article:
http://www.saultstar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1703615

Father's ride touching Canadians
TORI STAFFORD
Tue, August 18, 2009
<snipped>
The father of slain Woodstock girl Tori Stafford is sparking emotional reactions from total strangers as he cycles across Canada in his daughter's honour.

Rodney Stafford stopped here yesterday to collect donations for a child-safety agency and was recognized by those heartbroken by the widely reported April abduction and slaying of Tori.

"Look at me -- I'm shaking," one woman, who gave her name only as Kim, said after running into the man she recognized from months of newscasts. "I feel for him. It must be tough."

In several cities, Stafford has set up a table outside local businesses to collect donations for Child Find. Some people pause to also offer Stafford a kind word or, in one case yesterday, lunch.

"For the most part, everybody's been trying to help me through this," Stafford said.

rodney_stafford.jpg

Article:
http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/News/Local/2009/08/18/10492676-sun.html
Rodney Stafford grieves for Tori. Every day
Tuesday, August 18, 2009
<snipped>
Rodney Stafford isn't a trained athlete.

Nor is he an activist.

He's just a devoted father, grieving the loss of his little girl.

Stafford's eight-year-old daughter Victoria (Tori) disappeared on April 8 this year, just moments after leaving her school in Woodstock, Ontario.

Yesterday, Rodney Stafford arrived in Sault Ste. Marie via bicycle as part of his Kilometres For Kids campaign in support of the Child Find organization.

His journey began on August 5.

SooToday.com met up with him at Wal-mart as he collected donations for Child Find.

Stafford says the most difficult part about riding a bike from Woodstock to Edmonton isn't the weather, or the physical strain.

It's the time alone with his thoughts.

"I've had a lot of time to think about Victoria. That's been pretty hard," Stafford told us. "I've had a lot of stuff open up on the inside. I'd have to say that's the hardest part. But I shed a few tears and keep biking."

"Everything I've done since I left is for Child Find," he said. "They were very quick to step in when Victoria disappeared and with proper awareness and financing, I think they'll be able to accomplish way more than they already have. I miss Tori terribly, but I think there's going to be a lot of good to come from this. That's why I push myself to keep going. It's tragic that she's gone but I'm going to turn it around for the better."

Thankfully, Stafford isn't alone on his trek.

Traveling with him are his girlfriend Whitney Roth, and driver/ gizmo developer Peter Beggs.

Donations of hotel rooms and meals are greatly appreciated.

RodneyStafford.jpg

The gizmo Beggs helped develop is the Eye-zOn GPS tracking unit used to follow Stafford's progress.
http://www.eye-zon.com/EyezonBlack20090213/Portal/kilometres_for_kids.php

Beggs originally came up with the idea when his own granddaughter went missing at a Wal-mart store.

"It was only for a minute, but it was enough," Beggs told us. "I saw the look on my daughter's face and I said to her half-joking 'We've got to do something about this.' I'm fortunate enough to know some people who are engineers and sales people who know how to do something like this."

"Unfortunately the Eye-zOn device came out after Victoria disappeared," said Stafford. "If something like this was in her backpack or purse, we would have known she wasn't where she was supposed to be. We would have known something was wrong."

The device is being marketed as a tracking unit for children and special-needs individuals, such as those who suffer from Alzheimer's.

"The device costs $249 online right now, and we're donating 20 percent of that back to Child Find while Rodney's on his trip," explained Beggs. "Monthly plans cost between $10 and $20 depending on what you need. The individual's location can be updated as frequently as every 32 seconds."

While the Eye-zOn device has only been on the market for two months and is currently only available online, Beggs hopes to have it available through major retailers in the very near future.

Article:
http://www.sootoday.com/content/news/full_story.asp?StoryNumber=41147
Tori Stafford's dad reaches Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., on trek to Alberta
Tori Stafford's dad reaches Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., on trek to Alberta
8:43AM 8/18/2009
<snipped>
Edmonton in 31 days.

In cities along the way, Stafford collects money for Child Find Ontario and some people have paused to offer him a kind word. Tori went missing on April 8 and her remains were found on July 19 in a rural area north of Guelph.

Two Woodstock residents, Michael Thomas Rafferty, 28, and Terri-Lynne McClintic, 19, are charged with kidnapping and first-degree murder.

Once in Alberta, where Tori visited last year, Stafford plans to release a purple balloon from a mountain in Jasper.

soo1.JPG

Article:
http://www.inews880.com/Channels/Reg/LocalNews/story.aspx?ID=1126879
Tori's dad reaches Sault Ste. Marie on cycle
Last Updated: 18th August 2009, 9:54am
<snipped>
Most people who cycle across Canada, either for a good cause or just in the spirit of adventure, prepare for months or years for the trek.

Rodney Stafford couldn&#8217;t do that. His destiny was set out for him after his daughter, Victoria &#8220;Tori&#8221; Stafford, was abducted and killed April 8 as she walked home from her Woodstock, Ont., school.

Rodney is now riding to Edmonton, where his daughter visited a favourite aunt last year, and will release a single purple &#8212; her favourite colour &#8212; balloon from a mountain in Jasper.

His daughter&#8217;s memory, and the support of countless people along the way, keep him going, he said in Sault Ste. Marie on Monday.

&#8220;I wake up in the morning, and I&#8217;m a little bit tired, a little bit stiff, but as the day goes on, I&#8217;m reaching down and pulling out energy I didn&#8217;t know I had,&#8221; said Rodney, 33, who before now had done no cycling and little else in the way of physical activity.

Indeed, Stafford admits to being somewhat aimless &#8212; he was attempting to complete his Grade 12 last spring &#8220;when all this happened&#8221; &#8212; until now.

&#8220;I feel way more motivated to complete this task than anything I&#8217;ve ever done, for sure.&#8221;

In cities such as North Bay, Sudbury and the Sault, Stafford and his small support group have set up a table outside the local Walmart or McDonald&#8217;s with a donation jar that steadily fills by the hour. Some people pause to also offer Stafford a kind word or, in the case of at least one person Monday, lunch.

&#8220;For the most part, everybody&#8217;s been trying to help me through this,&#8221; said Stafford, who still cries at least once a day over the loss of his daughter, who would have turned nine July 15.

Article:
http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/canada/2009/08/18/10499746.html

Ontario Amber Alert changes coming
Thursday, August 20, 2009 | 9:52 PM ET
<snipped>
Changes will be unveiled this fall to Ontario's Amber Alert system because of criticism over how police handled the Victoria Stafford case, a senior provincial investigator says.

Ontario Provincial Police Commissioner Julian Fantino is behind the changes, OPP Sgt. Dave Rektor said Thursday in London.

"[The Amber Alert system] is so effective because it's not overused," Rektor said. "If it becomes misused then it weakens the effectiveness."

Victoria, also known as Tori, disappeared April 8, minutes after leaving her elementary school in Woodstock.

However, an Amber Alert wasn't posted immediately because police at the time said her case did not meet the guidelines for issuing one.

Before an alert is issued, police must confirm three main criteria: the child is under 18 and has been abducted, the child is in danger of serious harm, and there is enough descriptive information about the child and abductor or the suspect vehicle that a media alert would be helpful.

Ontario's Amber Alert system will be changed in the wake of criticism of the police response to the case of Victoria Stafford, who disappeared on April 8, 2009.
tori-cp-6549677.jpg

Video: John Lancaster reports: Ontario Amber Alert changes coming (Runs: 2:26)
Play Video: QuickTime »
http://www.cbc.ca/clips/mov/lancaster-amber-090820.mov

Play Video: Real Media »
http://www.cbc.ca/clips/rm-hi/lancaster-amber-090820.rm

IN DEPTH: Amber Alert
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/08/19/f-amber-alert.html

Article:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2009/08/20/ontario-amber-alert020.html

Rafferty to plead not guilty in Tori's death: lawyer
Last Updated: 21st August 2009, 10:31am
<snipped>
Michael Rafferty&#8217;s lawyer says his client has absolutely no plans to plead guilty to first-degree murder.

&#8220;Mr. Rafferty will certainly be pleading not guilty,&#8221; said Dirk Derstine outside the Woodstock Courthouse Friday morning.

Despite that Derstine said his comments &#8220;were not based on the evidence.&#8221;

He was one of two lawyers from the Toronto law firm Derstine Penman representing Rafferty via video link from the Elgin-Middlesex Detention Centre at the Woodstock Courthouse.

Derstine said there is &#8220;an enormous amount of evidence&#8221; set for full disclosure later this year including 2,200 civilian statements and terabytes of evidence.

&#8220;(We expect) the full bulk of evidence by sometime in November,&#8221; he said.

When asked about his client&#8217;s state of mind, Derstine said it is difficult for Rafferty &#8220;knowing it will be a long time before his side is presented&#8221; in court.

&#8220;It&#8217;s always difficult being in jail,&#8221; he said. &#8220;It&#8217;s no exception for him.&#8221;

A preliminary inquiry is expected in 2010 with a trial later that year or in 2011, Derstine said.

Article:
http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/canada/2009/08/21/10550406.html

Man will plead not guilty in Stafford's death
Last Updated: Friday, August 21, 2009 | 12:24 PM ET
<snipped>
Michael Rafferty "will certainly be pleading not guilty," said lawyer Dirk Derstine, whose client made a court appearance Friday morning in Woodstock, Ont., via video link from a London detention centre.

There's an enormous amount of evidence, including more than 2,000 statements from various civilians, to go through before the case proceeds, Derstine said.

He said he expects to see a preliminary inquiry next year, but added that a trial might not begin until 2011.

Rafferty is expected to appear in court again Sept. 25.

Article:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2009/08/21/ont-stafford-rafferty.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Accused in Tori Stafford case back in Ont. court
August 21, 2009
<snipped>
One of the accused in the killing of young Victoria 'Tori' Stafford appeared in a Woodstock, Ont., courtroom Friday via videolink.

Media reports suggested Michael Rafferty planned to plead not guilty, but his case was adjourned until Sept. 26, according to staff at the courthouse.

The search for the little girl's body began May 20, after the suspects were arrested and charged.

According to court documents, it is believed Stafford was killed the same day she disappeared.

Terri-Lynne McClintic and Michael Rafferty face kidnapping and first-degree murder charges in the death of Tori Stafford.
1809220.bin

Article:
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Accused+Tori+Stafford+case+back+court/1917465/story.html

Rodney's Ride to Raise Awareness
Sunday, 23 August 2009 16:07
<snipped>
If you have wondered about weather recently and mused if summer was playing tricks with all of us, imagine how it must be on a bike traveling across the north of Lake Superior. Rodney writes, "Left Marathon this am and had to be in Nipigon today so we could meet our obligations in Thunder Bay on Sun/Mon".

"Very long scenic ride throughout the mountains...crazy hills....started out in the rain and rode for about 5 hours before the weather got the best of me and I was starting to feel ill".

"We made the decision to do a few miles in the van and firmed up our plans for the rest of the trip throughout Ontario. Too many plans in Thunder Bay, so we couldn&#8217;t wait for the weather to break and risk losing a day".

On Sunday, the team is in Thunder Bay.

Article:
http://netnewsledger.com/index.php?...:northwestern-ontario-regional-news&Itemid=83
MURDERED CHILD&#8217;S DAD CYCLES TO EDMONTON TO RAISE FUNDS/AWARENESS FOR &#8216;CHILD FIND
Sunday, August 23, 2009
<snipped>
With an ambitious goal of a cross-country bicycle trek from Woodstock, Ontario to Edmonton, Alberta, Rodney has undertaken a trip of some 3400 kilometres through some of Canada&#8217;s most densely populated &#8211; and its most desolate &#8211; areas. His purpose &#8211; partly to raise awareness for Child Find so that others may be spared the brutal roller-coaster ride that begins with the loss of a child, and &#8220;probably never really ends&#8221;. More central to his mission is his need to say goodbye to Victoria on his own terms. He will cycle to Edmonton, where the bicycle that carries him west will be auctioned for charity, then head to the mountains of Jasper to release a single purple balloon into the sky, in honour of Tori&#8217;s favourite colour, and in memory of happier times during a family trip to the area a year earlier.

&#8220;We caught a news story saying Rodney was attempting this trip&#8221;, says Richard Worrall, President of EYE-ZON. &#8220;We immediately understood that he was going to need some support, and that we could help him raise awareness exponentially if people could feel involved, and track his journey. With the device&#8217;s emergency &#8220;find me&#8221; button, and our ability to locate him so precisely, we also knew we could help keep him safe. EYE-ZON&#8217;s goal is that nothing of value is ever lost; most importantly, our children.&#8221;

Article:
http://www.wireservice.ca/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1542
Rodney Stafford making headway in ride to Alberta
Aug 23, 2009 06:26 PM
<snipped>
Rodney Stafford is travelling more than 3,000 kilometres to Edmonton, where he plans to release one purple balloon on a mountain his little girl once visited.

Stafford is now averaging about 70 kilometres per day as he nears Thunder Bay.

At this rate, Stafford says he hopes to reach Edmonton by mid September where he will be met by his sister.

Article:
http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/685454

PROFILE: LeRoy formidable on defence
August 24, 2009
<snipped>
One of London defence lawyer Jeanine LeRoy's prized possessions tells a lot about her and why she's embraced the law.

LeRoy, 44, who began her career 16 years ago, has become an adept and formidable force on the local legal scene.

Outside the courtroom where she's honed her skills for argument and cross-examination, she laughs easily and often and happily seizes the moment.

Her legal profile reached national status this spring when she took on the case of Terri-Lynn McClintic, 19, the Woodstock woman charged, along with her ex-boyfriend, with first-degree murder and kidnapping in the death of eight-year-old Victoria (Tori) Stafford of Woodstock.

"I think I was caught a little by surprise at the national attention that was thrust on her and her lawyer. That has been an adjustment, for sure," she said.

Her first murder trial was in 2001, involving Donald Spindler, a man charged 22 years after victim Irene MacDonald, 36, vanished.

LeRoy had been the junior lawyer on the case with now-Ontario Court Justice John Getliffe and took it over when he was appointed to the bench. Spindler was convicted, but after a spirited defence.

LeRoy continued to take on the tough cases, defending three people charged in a string of child deaths in the city. One pleaded guilty and another was found guilty of a lesser charge of manslaughter.

One of her toughest was the case of Donna Shields of Byron, a child-care provider who was charged with murder in the death of a baby girl in her care -- a case, LeRoy said, with "a whole different kind of client and whole different kind of case."

"She was a wonderful person I enjoyed talking to and enjoyed having as a client," she said.

Shield's case was dismissed after a preliminary hearing.

LeRoy is now representing two of the most prominent child death cases in the area -- McClintic in the Stafford case, and Jennifer Sinn, 32, who was charged after the remains of three infants were found stored in her London townhouse.

Article:
http://lfpress.ca/cgi-bin/publish.cgi?p=273279&x=articles&s=societe

Grief and purple follow father on 3,000-kilometre trek
August 24, 2009 16:47
<snipped>
Victoria Stafford&#8217;s favourite colour was purple.

Her father, Rodney, never noticed how prevalent it was. Now, months after his eight-year-old daughter was abducted and killed, the Woodstock, Ont. native sees it everywhere he travels.

Stafford, in the midst of a Woodstock-to-Edmonton bicycle ride to raise awareness of missing and abducted children, was exhausted a few nights ago and stopped at a forgettable hotel in the middle of nowhere.

Stepping into the bathroom, he saw three towels, two white and one purple.

"Why couldn&#8217;t it have been blue, white or green, you know? Why purple?" Stafford asked.

He realizes it likely just adds up to a series of coincidences, but it&#8217;s just that type of logic that&#8217;s running through his thoughts these days.

The town of White River, a hard-hit community of 840 best-known as the birthplace of Winnie the Pooh and self-described coldest centre in eastern Canada, came out in droves when he passed through earlier in August.

It was pretty impressive, said Stafford, when one considers the economic reality that comes with a mill closure in such a small locale.

"I think it was (about) 300 people from that town had lost their jobs, and the majority of the town came down to show their support and made a donation. For a town that just lost pretty much everything they had, they were still out supporting my cause," he said. "It&#8217;s been like that all the way along."

Rodney Stafford, whose daughter Victoria was abducted and killed in Woodstock, Ont., rode through Thunder Bay Monday during a Woodstock-to-Edmonton bicycle ride.
64067_633867289415585421.jpg

Article:
http://www.tbnewswatch.com/Entertainment/?cid=64067
Father of slain girl goes cross-country for child safety
August 25, 2009 5:41 a.m.
<snipped>
Rodney Stafford is 2,000 kilometres from Edmonton, his final destination in a bike trip he hopes will serve as a wake-up call to parents across Canada.

&#8220;We were nobodies &#8212; put it that way. Then someone took it upon themselves to abduct and murder our daughter,&#8221; he said from a Thunder Bay, Ont., roadside yesterday. &#8220;It could happen to anybody. It&#8217;s a disgusting world, and I want to open parents&#8217; eyes.&#8221;

Rodney is pedalling toward closure, he said, adding he has had his &#8220;ups and downs&#8221; in the months since his daughter&#8217;s murder.

&#8220;Though, I can turn this tragedy into something positive,&#8221; he said.

Based on an average speed of 60 to 120 kilometres per day, he hopes to arrive in Edmonton on Sept. 17. He&#8217;ll then head to Jasper, where he&#8217;ll climb Whistlers Mountain, to release one purple balloon at the top.

&#8220;I&#8217;m going to get to the top and scream &#8216;we did it,&#8217;&#8221; he said, adding purple was Tori&#8217;s favourite colour.

Victoria Stafford
af66bb8545a59772d777234419a6.jpeg

Article:
http://www.metronews.ca/calgary/loc...lain-girl-goes-cross-country-for-child-safety

Amber Alert time-sensitive
Published: Wednesday, August 26, 2009
<snipped>
The news had a segment about the poor little girl, Tori Stafford, and how you must qualify to be put on the Amber Alert. I can't believe we have people in charge who think like that, to put requirements on how to get a child's cry for help out quickly to have an innocent life saved.

If a child is gone missing, as soon as the police get a description and a photograph of the child, it should be put on the air in the surrounding area immediately by radio and by TV. Every second counts.

Article:
http://www2.canada.com/windsorstar/news/letters/story.html?id=8dda2507-5d35-40b8-a811-ac4ca95d46f3

Parents of missing kids increasingly turning to Facebook for help
Aug 27, 2009
<snipped>
Online social networking sites are increasingly being used to complement police investigations into missing person reports, and Facebook is filled with stories of families seized by unimaginable grief.

This week, Child Find Manitoba turned to Facebook to help in the search for missing children Abby and Dominic Maryk, who disappeared more than a year ago and may have been abducted by their biological father.

Still, there are drawbacks to posting appeals for help on Facebook, as the family of murdered eight-year-old Victoria (Tori) Stafford of Woodstock, Ont., learned.

The site was great for spreading the word about her disappearance and co-ordinating public searches, but it also became a forum for unsubstantiated rumour-mongering and slandering of the girl's parents as the police investigation dragged on.

"It definitely helped to raise awareness but there's definitely pros and cons with it," said Rebecca Stafford, the girl's aunt who started the Facebook page.

"You had people that were venting their anger about the situation there and you almost had a pack mentality forming ... sometimes we were worried that there might be some form of lynch mob forming or something to that effect."

Article:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5hATK8-gf3Y39iGr16yt0mlZM4Kqg
Rodney Stafford reaches halfway point of fundraising ride
Aug 27, 2009 02:12 PM
<snipped>
The father of a slain Woodstock, Ont., girl has reached the halfway point of his 3,500-kilometre fundraising bike ride to Edmonton.

Rodney Stafford left Woodstock, Ont., on August 5 aiming to reach Edmonton by mid-September, while raising money along the way for Child Find Ontario.

He has now reached Dryden, in northern Ontario, about 100 kilometres from the Manitoba boundary.

Article:
http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/687361
Sense of freedom constantly eroding
August 28, 2009
<snipped>
Adults are often quick to say it&#8217;s a shame that children don&#8217;t spend countless hours outdoors like they used to do. When they were kids, they&#8217;d be out with friends, unsupervised from morning till sunset, living the good life. Kids today? Lazy. Tsk tsk.

Two attempts by strange women to grab young children in the city this summer, along with the abduction and murder of Tori Stafford from Woodstock, are the freshest of countless examples why people need to watch their children like hawks. And the two unsuccessful grabbing incidents in Guelph happened with the mothers of the young children present &#8212; one was carrying her child at the time. If those kids had been a bit older and their mothers had allowed them to just go play in the neighbourhood or closest park we might have a very different news story on our hands.

It&#8217;s sad that good people have to constantly have their guard up, but there&#8217;s enough reasons why it has to be that way.

Article:
http://news.guelphmercury.com/Opinions/Editorials/article/527357
Tori memory ride reaches Winnipeg Monday
Last Updated: 28th August 2009, 1:53pm
<snipped>
Rodney Stafford, the father of Victoria (Tori) Stafford, is scheduled to arrive at The Forks late Monday morning for an event at Inn at The Forks.

The Winnipeg police Cops for Kids bicycle relay team, bicycle patrol unit and traffic unit will escort Rodney Stafford from Westmount Drive and Patterson Street in Southdale to The Forks at 10:30 a.m.

He will depart the following morning under the same escort, police said.

Article:
http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/canada/2009/08/28/10655676.html
Ride reaches Kenora
Posted 13 days ago
<snipped>
Rodney Stafford, whose daughter Victoria &#8216;Tori&#8217; Stafford was abducted and killed in April, is on a 3,400-kilometre ride to Edmonton. The Kilometres For Kids ride to raise money and awareness for Child Find reached Kenora Thursday afternoon just before 5 p.m. Stafford will be meeting the public Saturday at a fundraising barbecue at Walmart from 1-4 p.m.

Rodney Stafford, whose daughter Victoria Tori Stafford was abducted and killed in April, is on a 3,400-kilometre ride to Edmonton. The Kilometres For Kids ride to raise money and awareness for Child Find reached Kenora Thursday afternoon just before 5 p.m. Stafford will be meeting the public Saturday at a fundraising barbecue at Walmart from 1-4 p.m.
6157.dat

Article:
http://www.kenoradailyminerandnews.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1720795

Ontario dad on trek to Alberta to raise funds in honour of daughter
Last updated at 11:37 PM on 30/08/09
<snipped>
On Sunday, he rolled into St. Anne, Man., where he was to spend the night before heading to Winnipeg on Monday.

Stafford, 34, plans to end his fundraising trip in Edmonton where his daughter visited a favourite aunt last year. He&#8217;ll then visit Jasper, Alta., where he&#8217;ll release a purple balloon &#8212; Tori&#8217;s favourite colour &#8212; from a mountain as a way to say goodbye to his daughter.

Police discovered Tori&#8217;s remains on July 19 in a rural area north of Toronto.
Michael Thomas Rafferty, 28, and Terri-Lynne McClintic, 18, both of Woodstock, are charged with kidnapping and first-degree murder.

Article:
http://www.ngnews.ca/index.cfm?sid=282337&sc=503
Slain girl&#8217;s father on cross-country trip to raise money
August 31, 2009
<snipped>
Rodney Stafford was in St. Anne, Man., Sunday, where he spent the night before cycling into Winnipeg Monday morning.

Stafford, who before his trip began had no cycling experience, joked he should have no problem keeping up with the unit.

&#8220;I have a better bike,&#8221; Stafford said. &#8220;Going through northern Ontario my legs might be a little bit stronger than theirs right now.&#8221;

Stafford will raise money at an event Tuesday before leaving Wednesday to continue west. The forecast calls for sunny skies and temperatures in the high 20s all week.

Stafford also said he couldn&#8217;t pedal from Kenora to Manitoba because of safety reasons. A decision was made to ride in the van to St. Anne because traffic on the Trans-Canada was so heavy.

&#8220;Without a police escort there was no way I could do it,&#8221; he said. &#8220;The traffic would come up behind the van and go around the van and cut back in front of the van. They would even notice I was there. There was a number of close calls. For safety issues I just wasn&#8217;t going to attempt it. Especially with everybody coming home after the weekend.&#8221;

1946801.bin

Article:
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/S...s+country+trip+raise+money/1946800/story.html
Stafford feels Tori's presence
Tue, September 1, 2009
<snipped>
Rodney Stafford is cycling across four provinces in honour of his slain daughter, but he isn't alone on his bicycle.

And there have been plenty of serene moments when Stafford felt like she was there beside him or watching from above, he says.

One occurred in North Bay, where Stafford revisited a place he and his kids made memories watching black bears years ago.

"It wasn't even dark out and we looked up and there was one star in the sky above us. It was like I had taken her back to see the bears," said Stafford, who arrived in Winnipeg yesterday.

Christy Dzikowicz, director of Child Find Manitoba, said people will pay close attention to Stafford's message, which urges parents to never let their guard down. "Families will sit up and listen a little more closely when they see a guy who is really just a regular dad who never anticipated this happening to his family," she said.

Article:
http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/News/CanadaWorld/2009/09/01/10697796-sun.html
'I just want to make our kids safe'
Father of slain girl on life-saving mission
1/09/2009 1:00 AM
<snipped>
Rodney Stafford's eyes moistened when a red-haired girl interrupted a media scrum Monday morning at The Forks."Here's 40 dollars for Child Find," the young girl said as she pressed some rolled-up bills into his hand.

Stafford, who is riding across much of Canada to raise awareness and money for the organization in the wake of his daughter's slaying last spring, hopped off his road bike, thanked her and asked if he could give her a hug. The little girl obliged.

Regaining his composure, he said young children come up to him at least once a day and show their support for his efforts, either with a hug, a donation or asking for an autograph.

"It makes me feel great. Even children know what I'm doing. I just want to make our kids safe," he said.

Article:
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/life/i-just-want-to-make-our-kids-safe-56534932.html
Stafford poised to enter Manitoba
KENORA: Father of slain girl praises generosity of Northern Ontario
9 Days ago
<snipped>
"It was not the outcome I wanted to learn," Stafford related during an interview at a fundraising barbecue in Kenora Saturday. "It's a very tragic thing. I cry every day but if I sit at home and stir about it, I'm going to go insane."

"Child Find tried to do everything possible to bring her home," he said. "So rather than just do the ride for Victoria, I wanted to make the public aware and do the ride for all children."

"I'm trying to open people's eyes. It's becoming more and more a dangerous world. Our children aren't as safe as people think," Stafford said. "When this ride is over I hope to have done all I can to raise awareness for children's safety."

"With each town more and more people are attending (Child Find) events. The ride is getting media attention and it's getting bigger and bigger from town to town," he said, noting Kenora has been particularly supportive.

"I love this community. The support of Northern Ontario has been amazing."

Article:
http://www.saultstar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1726028
Tori's Father In Portage
The father of 8 year old Tori Stafford cycled through Portage this afternoon.
September 2, 2009
<snipped>
Stafford says the growing support for the ride as he crosses Canada is great because awareness is growing as well.

He hopes all of Canada will know he decided to cycle across the country, not just for Tori, but for all children, including teenagers.

Stafford has found reassurance as he's travelled across the country because so many good people are coming out. He's convinced those folks out-number bad people.

Stafford stresses his goal is to raise awareness, and urges you to talk to your kids about staying safe.

He leaves Portage tomorrow for Brandon.

rsz_torisrafford.jpg

Rodney Stafford outside the Canad Inns in Portage
rsz_rodneystafford.jpg

Article:
http://www.portageonline.com/index....ad&page=9&category=21&article=13633&Itemid=86

Stafford Continues Journey
September 3, 2009
<snipped>
Rodney Stafford's cycle journey across Canada resumed this morning, as he left Portage's Canad Inns for Brandon.

Dzikowitz urges you to follow Stafford's meesage, and watch out for all kids, not just those close to you.

She admits being surprised Stafford is able to ride across the country so soon after his daughter's death, but believes he's turning a nightmare into something good.

Here's video of Stafford leaving the city this morning.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YABSWvtUffU"]YouTube - Rodney Stafford Leaves Portage[/ame]

Rodney Stafford's Blog
http://www.eye-zon.com/EyezonBlack20090213/Kilometres_For_Kids/Kilometres_For_Kids.html

Article:
http://www.portageonline.com/index....ad&page=9&category=21&article=13641&Itemid=86
Tori's absence leaves a hole
A trauma response team plans to keep a low profile the first day back
Sat, September 5, 2009
<snipped>
When classes ended in June for the kids at Oliver Stephens public school in Woodstock, they knew their eight-year-old classmate Victoria (Tori) Stafford had been kidnapped and two people were charged with her murder.

For several weeks, psychologist Sally Christensen and her trauma response team with the Thames Valley District school board had been by their sides, helping them deal with that news.

But the children ended the school year with one mystery still unanswered: Where was Tori?

On Tuesday, those children will arrive at school with the terrible answer to that question.

Christensen, though, is going to give them some space.

She and her team will be in the school and available to pupils and teachers during the week, after that first day.

"We will be there to see how people are feeling. We will be keeping a low profile."

The school will notice not only Tori's absence, but the absence of her brother, Daryn, too.

The children's mother, Tara McDonald, has moved out of Woodstock and Daryn will start at a new school this fall.

"He will be sorely missed. He was really loved by students and staff," Christensen said.

Charged with first-degree murder and abduction in Tori's disappearance are Michael Thomas Rafferty, 28, and Terri-Lynne McClintic, 18, of Woodstock.

Each has had several court appearances via video from jail. McClintic is next scheduled to appear in court Oct. 1, while Rafferty is back in court Sept. 25.

Article:
http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/News/Local/2009/09/05/10758311-sun.html
Tori Stafford's father Rodney in Regina to raise awareness about missing children
September 8, 2009
<snipped>
&#8220;I want people to know that no matter where you live, whether it be a big city, a small town, a little community, it can happen anywhere, at any time,&#8221; said Stafford. &#8220;These people find out ways to make it happen and children are disappearing everywhere. We have to try put some kind of stop to it.&#8221;

He admitted there are times when the grief and pain are too overwhelming and during his trek, he&#8217;s had his moments.

Stafford has such a moment while he was biking near Kenora.

&#8220;Right on the rock wall, someone spray painted their nickname &#8220;Chubbs.&#8221; That was what we called my daughter,&#8221; he said. &#8220;I was biking along and I just happened to look up and I seen it and it was &#8212; instant. I had to pull over and take a break.&#8221;

He set his bike down and ran until he found a spot where he could release his emotions.

&#8220;I sat down and cried for like 10 minutes,&#8221; said Stafford. &#8220;It just hit me so hard, just seeing that name.&#8221;

Stafford is biking from his hometown of Woodstock, Ont., to Edmonton. Tuesday marked his 34th day on the road and about a week left of his tour. So far, the father has raised about $22,000 for Child FInd.

Article:
http://www.leaderpost.com/news/Tori...ess+about+missing+children/1972564/story.html
Victoria Stafford's dad on trek to safeguard kids
Last Updated: Wednesday, September 9, 2009 | 12:15 AM ET
<snipped>
I have my days when I break down on the bike," Stafford told CBC News Tuesday during a stopover in Regina. "I pull to the side on my bike and literally just burst out crying.

When he entered Saskatchewan, Stafford gained a riding partner in the father of a 10-year-old boy who was abducted three years ago by the convicted pedophile Peter Whitmore.

That case also attracted widespread attention. Whitmore had also abducted a 14-year-old from Manitoba. While the boys had been abused, they were released and Whitmore gave himself up.

A publication ban in the Whitmore court case prevents media outlets from identifying the father of the 10-year-old involved.

The dad told CBC News on Tuesday that he was getting involved in Stafford's campaign so that other families would not have to endure what they experienced.

"It's very important to me to raise awareness," the man said. "It happened to Rodney in Ontario. It happened to my family in Whitewood and to raise awareness that sexual abuse of children is all around us."

His voice trembling with emotion, Stafford also encouraged parents to keep a close watch on their children.

"Hold your kids tight," Stafford said. "I wish I could do that with both of mine, but unfortunately I lost Victoria in April and hopefully there's something we can do about changing everything around."

Stafford said his cycling trip, which will cover some 3,400 kilometres, will resume Wednesday. He plans to reach Edmonton on Sept. 17.

Rodney Stafford spoke about the need to raise awareness about child abuction, during a stop in Regina during a cycling trek.
sk-stafford-awareness090908.jpg

Article:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2009/09/08/sk-stafford-bike-campaign.html
Bike Ride for Child Find
Wednesday, 09 September 2009
<snipped>
Wednesday, he'll tackle the stretch of of Highway 11 between Regina and Davidson, north of Moose Jaw. He says the crowds that have greeted him along the way have given him the support he needs to make it to Edmonton.

"The further I go, the bigger it gets and I'm very glad to see that because people are obviously paying attention to what I'm doing and I'm spreading the word."

Stafford says each morning he wakes up and stares at a picture of Tori and that is his motivation for the day.

Article:
http://www.discovermoosejaw.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9488&Itemid=401
Biking for Child Find
Thursday, 10 September 2009
<snipped>
Riding alongside Rodney Stafford is the father of the boy abducted three years ago by convicted pedophile Peter Whitmore. In that spree, Whitmore also abducted a 14 year old from Manitoba. After a manhunt and standoff with police, Whitmore gave himself up and the boys were freed.

If you see Rodney Stafford on the highway, give a wave or honk the horn to show some support. Stafford is on Highway 11 en route to Saskatoon today (thurs) before he begins pushing on to Edmonton.

Article:
http://www.saskatoonhomepage.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20553&Itemid=421
Tori Stafford's Father Raising Awareness
Rodney Stafford Journeys Through Saskatoon
Posted September 10, 2009 - 7:15pm
<snipped>
The father of Victoria Stafford doesn't want anyone to feel the same pain.

"I'm just trying to open people's eyes that their children aren't safe."

Now, Stafford is biking across the country, from Ontario to Edmonton, in an effort to raise awareness for ChildFind Canada. He cycled from Davidson to Saskatoon on Thursday accompanied by Sergeants Tony Nadon Keith Salzl of the Saskatoon Police Service.

Stafford said it's the same trip Victoria made with her grandmother last summer. Technically, the last stop is a mountain in Jasper, Alberta. He plans to climb the same mountain Victoria did and release one purple balloon.

"(I'm also going to) take a picture of myself in the same spot my daughter was and then we're going to Photoshop the picture of my daughter in my arms." said Stafford.

"It's so my last image of my daughter is with me on the mountain and not walking away with this mysterious woman."

"Before this happened to Victoria, I was one of those people who thought, you know, it'll never happen to me, it only happens in the movies," said Stafford.

"I wish I could swallow those words. My baby's gone. I'll never hold her again. I just want to do what I can to help people not go through what I've went through since April."

Article:
http://www.newstalk650.com/story/20090910/22212

The home stretch
September 15, 2009
<snipped>
It was an emotional reunion Sunday for Rebecca (Stafford) Nichols and her brother, Rodney Stafford.

Five days before his arrival in Edmonton -- the last stop on his cross-county Kilometres for Kids bicycle trip in memory of his slain daughter Victoria (Tori) Stafford --Nichols and her new husband, Nathan Nichols, drove three and a half hours to surprise and offer support to Stafford in North Battleford.

Nichols said Stafford expects to finish his journey on Thursday, when she, with her sister Natasa Edmonds and brother Russell Edmonds, will accompany the cyclist into Edmonton.

Friday will be a day of rest for Stafford, and a chance to talk to local media about his cause.

Nichols said a celebration of his journey will take place at the West Edmonton Mall on Saturday.

On Sunday, Stafford will travel to a Jasper-area mountain, once visited by Tori, where he plans to release a single purple balloon.

29054.dat

PhotoGallery Picture:
http://woodstocksentinelreview.com/photogallery/photogallery.aspx?abID=28999&imgID=29051&pageID=3

Article:
http://woodstocksentinelreview.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1753521
Keeping children safe by remembering Tori Stafford
September 15, 2009
<snipped>
A walk and vigil will be held Sunday at Riverside Park to remember Tori Stafford and to attempt to reduce the chance of cases like hers from happening again.

Sunday&#8217;s event will support petitions calling for changes to the Amber Alert system. The proposed Tori&#8217;s Law would see the Amber Alert system activated any time a parent or guardian finds it out of character for a child under 16 to be missing for any length of time.

Vigils were also being planned in other cities. A national initiative has been postponed but individual communities can still hold events, as is the case in Guelph.

The walk and vigil are meant to encourage schools to ensure students who walk home from school are safe, Orawski said. Specifically, she suggested schools could recruit adult volunteers to ensure children are safe and help organize groups of students walking home together, supervised by adults.

Article:
http://news.guelphmercury.com/News/article/532831
Oxford County : Stafford Bike Ride Set To Finish
2009/9/17 13:20:05
<snipped>
Rodney Stafford's charity bicycle ride is set to wrap up today. He left Woodstock August 5th for Edmonton raising money and awareness for Child Find Ontario. The 3400 kilometre ride is in memory of daughter Victoria, who was abducted and murdered this spring. Stafford will head to Jasper to release a purple balloon atop a mountain Victoria had once visited. Twenty-eight-year-old Michael Rafferty is charged in her murder; he'll be back in court next Friday.

Attached Files:
http://cd989.com/modules/news/visit.php?fileid=6889

Article:
http://cd989.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=17580
Rodney Stafford arriving in Edmonton today
Thursday, September 17th, 2009 2:33 pm
<snipped>
Rodney Stafford is cycling into Edmonton today, to end a 3,500 kilometre bike ride in memory of his murdered daughter. Eight year old Victoria Stafford was abducted and killed in April.

Stafford left Woodstock last month, on a trek to raise money and awareness for Child Find. He tells 570 News, so far he's raised almost $22,000.

Stafford says he's learned a lot on his trek. He says there are still a lot of good people in the world, and a lot of people came out to help and support him along the way. He hopes his trip will make people realize the dangers our children face, and that we need to better protect them. He says he's looking forward to the end of his trip, and showing people that they can do anything they put their mind to.

Article:
http://www.570news.com/news/local/more.jsp?content=20090917_143251_5552
Father of slain girl Victoria Stafford nears end of bike tour
September 17, 2009, 4:14 PM
<snipped>
The father of Victoria Stafford, the slain eight-year-old whose disappearance from Woodstock, Ont., made headlines across the country this year, will make his way into the Edmonton area Thursday as he finishes up a cross-country bike tour.

Rodney Stafford will spend Thursday and Friday in the community of Sherwood Park, Alta., before he bikes through Edmonton&#8217;s river valley to reach his final destination at West Edmonton Mall, said his sister, Rebecca Stafford Nichols, who lives in Edmonton.

Stafford has cycled about 3,500 kilometres on his Kilometres for Kids bike tour to raise money and awareness for Child Find.

Police have said they believe she was randomly kidnapped.

Profile of Tori Stafford suspect Terri-Lynne McClintic:
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...i-stafford-suspect-terri-lynne-mcclintic.aspx

Article:
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...victoria-stafford-nears-end-of-bike-tour.aspx
Slain Ontario girl&#8217;s father bikes into Sherwood Park
September 18, 2009
<snipped>
Like most parents, he once thought child abductions only happened to other people.

"But no, it's everywhere... children go missing all the time and it's about time we all stood up and hopefully some people higher up can finally realize we've got to do something about our children's safety."

At times, the trek has been gruelling, with wind and rain testing his strength, he said. Stafford blogged about patching up a blown tire on Sunday with duct tape, because he had sent all his spare tubes home.

"I fought with myself to get through each day. Some days were really easy but other days, where the wind is like today, I've gotta fight against the wind to get through it but I'm going to get through it."

Stafford will spend Friday in Sherwood Park before he bikes through Edmonton's river valley on Saturday to reach his final destination at West Edmonton Mall.

The finale will take place from 1 to 4p.m. at the mall's centre court.

Rodney Stafford, father of Tori Stafford who was kidnapped and murdered in Ontario, hugs his girlfriend Whitney Roth after completing his tour for the day. Stafford has been cycling from Ontario to Edmonton to raise money and awareness for missing children. He rides down the Yellowhead Highway near Ardossan, Alta., east of Edmonton on Sept. 17, 2009.
2005354.bin

Article:
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/trav...r+bikes+into+Sherwood+Park/2004602/story.html

Victoria Stafford's dad nears end of cross-country ride
Father of slain Ont. girl cycling across Canada to raise awareness of child safety
Friday, September 18, 2009 | 9:21 PM ET
<snipped>
Rodney Stafford is expected to officially end his 3,500-kilometre journey Saturday when he cycles into West Edmonton Mall.

Victoria Stafford, 8, went missing in April near her school in Woodstock, Ont. Her remains were found in July in an isolated wooded area in the small farming community of Mount Forest, about 95 kilometres north of Woodstock.

Two Woodstock residents, Michael Rafferty and Terri-Lynne McClintic, have been charged with her abduction and murder.

On Friday, Woodstock Mayor Michael Harding relayed a message to Stafford by way of CBC.

"Rodney, this is Mayor Michael Harding, and I am bloody proud of what you've done," he said, directing his comments to Stafford.

"To choose a cause of Child Find and [to make] sure that we care for our kids and find them &#8212; I mean that's a very good cause. So, I think any community would be very, very proud of Rodney at this point."

Stafford began his trip on Aug. 5 in Woodstock and was in Vegreville, Alta., Friday, with another 100 kilometres to go to reach Edmonton.

"I think it's great that he's taken such a negative, tragic situation in his life and the community's life and [is] making something positive about it," said Woodstock resident Kevin Proctor.

Article:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2009/09/18/stafford-bike-ride523.html
Father of slain Ontario girl Victoria Stafford cycles into Edmonton
Sep 19, 2009
<snipped>
Tired, relieved and a little elated, Rodney Stafford peddled into Edmonton Saturday, completing his 3,400 kilometre cycling journey in memory of his slain daughter Victoria.

His gruelling 45-day bicycle trip, where he averaged about 70 kilometres per day, has raised awareness about child abduction and helped him deal with some of the pain of his loss.

"It has put a lot of relief into me," said Stafford, his face burned from the prairie wind and sun, his eyes glassy with fatigue.

"I keep remembering all the good times with Victoria. It is like I am filling a void."

During the long hours and days of peddling on the road his spirits were buoyed by the well wishes of people along the way who beeped their horns in support. At night he gained some strength by reading messages posted on an Internet site that was set up to help promote the trip and raise money for the organization Child Find.

"Way to go Rodney... you are a true hero...you are a great father," posted someone from Ingersoll, Ont.

"Wooooohoooooooo Rodney, Your journey was an accomplishment that you are to be proud of.. You make Canadians proud. You are an inspiration to all of us. Hoping you can find some peace and comfort now that you have done what you set out to do," says another post.

But Stafford said what really propelled him along hour after hour, kilometre after kilometre, were memories of his daughter.

While still in Ontario he made it a point to visit a park where he and Tori saw two bears a few years ago. Viewing the bruins thrilled his daughter at the time. Stafford said he couldn't believe it when he saw two bears near the same spot outside of North Bay.

"There were two bears sitting their eating and there was a star in the sky right above me," he said. "Tori has been with me on this ride."

Next year, the man and woman charged with kidnapping and first-degree murder in connection with Tori's death could go on trial. He plans to be in the courtroom every day.

Michael Rafferty, 28, and Terri-Lynne McClintic, 19, are in custody in Ontario as they await the legal process to deal with the allegations against them.

Rafferty's lawyer said in August that his client will plead not guilty. He predicted that a preliminary hearing would not be held until next year and if the case is committed to trial, that might not occur until 2011. McClintic's attorney has not indicated how her client will plead.

"This (the cycling journey) is a little bit of closure, but we still have the trial coming up," Stafford said. "As painful as it is going to be I need to be there. I need to find out what happened to my baby."

Article:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5jvZPgq5HOsVLpNafqlB1_4vqgfUA
Closure at the finish line
Slain girl's dad amazed at support he encountered during fundraising trek
Last Updated: 20th September 2009, 1:15am
<snipped>
"I feel really good, I do, compared to the day I set out skeptical of what I was doing, wondering if it was worth it," he said after he finished his 3,453-km bike ride from Woodstock, Ont., to Edmonton yesterday. "I strongly believe that no matter what happens after today, word will spread."

He set out 45 days ago to escape his hometown, a scene rich with memories of his eight-year-old daughter Tori, but also loaded with the horror of her abduction and death earlier this year.

During the ride, "my biggest thought was of Victoria (Tori) this spring," he said, when members of his extended family walked along the beach in Woodstock, skipping stones. "I had a few good chuckles. Everyone else was picking up nice flat stones and skipping them. But Victoria picked up big, fat ones and chucked them. She couldn't quite get the hang of it. But then one, she skipped eight or nine times.

"It was a free time, a happy moment. We had so many."

But after Tori's death, he found his faith in people shaken, and even his career plans changed. He ditched plans to become a corrections officer, he said, because he didn't want to deal with criminals since becoming a victim.

"People would just stop and offer dinner and a place to stay. There's been amazing support from the beginning," he said. It convinced him good people in the world, "far outnumber the bad people."

More so, people lined up, including at West Edmonton Mall yesterday for the last ChildFind event of his trip, to share their feelings, sad and supportive, about the case.

"They're just coming up and saying thank you. In time, this (attention) will fade, I'm sure, and I'll just remember I did something significant," said Stafford.

Article:
http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/alberta/2009/09/20/11004666-sun.html
Single balloon for Tori
Last Updated: 21st September 2009, 3:32am
<snipped>
After so much campaigning, it was a "personal day," said Rodney Stafford after releasing a balloon from a mountain in his daughter's honour.

He ended a 45-day tribute fundraising bicycle ride in Edmonton Saturday, then rode in a car with family to Jasper National Park yesterday. The family took a gondola to the top of Whistler Mountain, where Stafford released a single purple balloon in honour of Tori Stafford.

The eight-year-old was abducted and slain in Woodstock, Ont. She disappeared April 8.

Article:
http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/canada/2009/09/21/11025416-sun.html
Stafford Returns Home
Tue, 22 Sep 2009 8:41:46 EDT
<snipped>
Home sweet home, later this afternoon Rodney Stafford is scheduled to touch down at London International Airport. Stafford, the father of 8-year-old Tori Stafford who was murdered, is slated to arrive in London before returning to his home in Woodstock. Back in August he left on his 3500 kilometer bike ride from Woodstock to Edmonton raising awareness and donations for Child Find Ontario. One of the two suspects charged in connection with Tori's murder, Michael Rafferty, is due to appear in court Friday.

Article:
http://www.myfmradio.ca/1057/wire/news/01122_Stafford_Returns_Home_083324.php
Homecoming for Rodney Stafford
Tue, 2009-09-22 15:00.
<snipped>
An emotional reunion at the London International Airport this afternoon.

The father of Victoria Stafford came back to Ontario.....after a 34 hundred kilometre fundraising bike ride to Alberta.

Rodney Stafford was greeted by his son, Daryn and his mother as he stepped onto the tarmac.

He has spent the last 40 days cycling from Woodstock to Edmonton to raise funds for ChildFind Ontario.

Throughout his journey, Stafford raised over 22 thousand dollars for the organization and says they are still counting the money raised from his final stop in Edmonton.

Stafford says plans are already in the works to possibly make the trek again next year this time taking his son with him for the ride.

Michael Rafferty, one of the two suspects charged in Victoria's murder, is scheduled to appear in a Woodstock court via video link this Friday.

Article:
http://www.cjbk.com/news/565/996555
Rodney Stafford arrives in London, Ont., after wrapping up 3,400 km cycling trip
22/09/2009 6:40 PM
<snipped>
Rodney Stafford, the father of slain eight-year-old Victoria Stafford, arrived back in southwestern Ontario Tuesday afternoon after completing a 45-day cycling marathon in honour of his daughter.

His son, Daryn Stafford, said he couldn't wait to hang out with his father again and was really proud of him.

Woodstock residents Terri-Lynne McClintic and Michael Rafferty have been charged with kidnapping and first-degree murder in Tori's death.

Rafferty is scheduled to appear in court on Friday while McClintic is set to appear in court Oct. 1.

Their trials are not expected to begin until sometime next year.

Article:
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ca...apping-up-3_400-km-cycling-trip-60436742.html

Tori's dad completes epic ride
Rodney Stafford covered 3,453 kilometres in 45 days on a bicycle to raise money for Child Find Canada
Wed, September 23, 2009
<snipped>
Atop Whistlers Mountain in Jasper, 2,464 metres above sea level and as close to the heavens as he could get, Rodney Stafford shouted, "I love you Chubs!"

One after another, the others in his hiking party -- a sister, brother-in-law and his girlfriend -- shouted out.

"We all ended up screaming something. There was a lot of inside emotion. A lot of it came out. It felt pretty good."

With the release of his emotions and a purple balloon in honour of his slain daughter, Victoria (Tori) Stafford -- nicknamed Chubs -- Stafford ended a 45-day-mission that took him from Woodstock to Alberta.

Some days riding were tougher than others, but Stafford said he never thought of giving up.

"I knew it was too important and I had a lot of support behind me. There was no way I could fail," he said.

"It was very demanding, physically demanding, mentally as well . . . with everything that was going on in my head regarding Victoria and Daryn."

*Videos Included In Article!

Article:
http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/News/Local/2009/09/23/11065286-sun.html
Hugs for Rodney
September 24, 2009
<snipped>
Rodney Stafford met his son Daryn with a huge grin and great big bear hug after landing safely at London International Airport Tuesday afternoon.

After 45 days on his cross-country Kilometres for Kids cycling trip, Stafford, with his girlfriend Whitney Roth, was all smiles as he greeted his son, his mother Doreen Graichen, sister Randi Millen and her new baby Sylvia.

Stafford described his 45-day trip as "awesome" to waiting reporters in the boarding area at London International Airport after disembarking from his 1 p.m. WestJet flight.

"I wish it was still going. I didn't want it to be over," he said. "Every day I was meeting new people. It's great to know those people are out there."

Last Sunday, Stafford travelled to a Whistler-area mountain, once visited by Victoria, where he released a single purple balloon.

Stafford presented a photo of himself on the mountain, with his arms around his daughter, to his mother as a memento of his trip.

A photo of the child, taken last summer on the mountain, was superimposed on the new image to make it appear as if they visited the mountain together.

Next year, Stafford said he hopes to return to the Western provinces, riding a three-man bike with his girlfriend and son.

On Oct. 3, a dance/barbecue at the CAW Hall in Ingersoll will commemorate the end of Stafford's bike ride

All money raised will also go to Child Find.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM2eH4jAhXo"]YouTube - Rodney Stafford comes home[/ame]

Article:
http://woodstocksentinelreview.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1765509

Accused in Tori Stafford case makes court appearance
Friday, September 25th, 2009 11:49 am
<snipped>
A man accused in the abduction and murder of eight-year-old Victoria Stafford of Woodstock, Ont., has made another court appearance.

Both Michael Rafferty, 28, and co-accused Terri-Lynn McClintic, 19, are charged with first-degree murder and kidnapping.

At Rafferty's brief appearance Friday, a judicial pre-trial meeting was set for October 8.

One of his lawyers, Scott Reid, said that meeting will essentially lay the groundwork for an upcoming preliminary hearing.

Rafferty will then make another video court appearance on October 16.

Article:
http://www.680news.com/news/headlines/more.jsp?content=20090925_114832_6040
Accused in Stafford Murder makes Court Appearance
Fri, 2009-09-25 12:35.
<snipped>
The man charged with the kidnapping and murder of 8 year old Victoria stafford made a brief court appearence today.

Michael Rafferty appeared in a Woodstock court over a video hook up from the Elgin Middlesex Detention Centre, where a judicial pre-trial meeting was set for Oct. 8.

One of his lawyers, Scott Reid, says that meeting will essentially lay the groundwork for an upcoming preliminary hearing.

Rafferty will then make another video court appearance on Oct. 16.

While co-accused, 19 year old Terri-Lynn McClintic, will be back in court next Thursday.

Article:
http://www.cjbk.com/news/565/998356
Rafferty back in court next month
September 26, 2009
<snipped>
The man accused of kidnapping and murdering eight-year-old Victoria &#8220;Tori&#8221; Stafford will return to court on Oct. 8 for his judicial pre-trial.

Appearing by video from the Elgin Middlesex Detention Centre, Michael Rafferty stood quietly while his lawyer, Scott Reid, told the court that dates had been arranged.

&#8220;I&#8217;ve already advised Mr. Rafferty previously of what&#8217;s going to happen,&#8221; Reid said.

Because of the complexity of the case, the judicial pre-trial has been scheduled to allow the defence, the Crown attorney and a judge to discuss the impending trial. Generally, the pre-trial provides an opportunity for the judge to review the positions of the defence and prosecution before setting a trial date.

Reid also scheduled an Oct. 16 video appearance for Rafferty.

Article:
http://www.oxfordreview.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1770112
VIDEO: Rafferty makes brief court appearance
http://southwesternontario.ctv.ca/news.php?id=5813&PHPSESSID=780bf803e8986a643dbc9ce746c6d453

McClintic makes video court appearance
Updated Thu. Oct. 01 2009 8:20 PM ET
<snipped>
A nineteen-year-old woman charged in the slaying of eight-year-old Victoria Stafford of Woodstock made her first court appearance in more than a month and a half on Thursday.

Terri-Lynne McClintic appeared via video link before a judge in Woodstock and was remanded in custody.

Her next court date is scheduled for November 27th.

McClintic is charged with kidnapping and first-degree murder. Victoria Stafford was last seen leaving her school in April. The little girl's remains were found on July 19th, north of Guelph.

Article:
http://southwesternontario.ctv.ca/news.php?id=5870
McClintic appears via video
October 2, 2009
Posted 12 hours ago
<snipped>
At the most recent court appearance by the woman accused of murdering eight-year-old Victoria "Tori" Stafford, it took less than two minutes to learn that she won't be back in court for two months.

Terri-Lynne McClintic, 19, was only briefly on the television screen yesterday while Crown attorney Geoff Beasley explained to the court the reason for requesting the two-month delay until her next video appearance. Because of the sheer amount of evidence in this high-profile case, the Crown's office is still in the midst of providing disclosure to McClintic's lawyer, Jeanine LeRoy.

"It's an ongoing and extensive process," Beasley said.

While LeRoy wasn't able to make the brief appearance, Woodstock lawyer Trudy Mauth talked with McClintic by telephone to inform the 19-year-old about the Nov. 27 date of her next appearance.

"This will allow disclosure to be released to your counsel in an ongoing manner," justice of the peace F. Michael McMahon told McClintic.

After McClintic's August court appearance. LeRoy told the Sentinel-Review the Crown had already provided her office with the equivalent of a computer hard drive in terms of evidence. With the continuing investigation into Tori's kidnapping and murder by police, there is the potential of substantial amount of forthcoming evidence in the case.

Article:
http://woodstocksentinelreview.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1779683

Canada Mourns Tori

Video: http://www.cbc.ca/national/blog/video/rex_murphy/rexpov_title.html

Rex Murphy Point of View [Transcript]

BBM

(Here Reproduced in accordance with the Fair Dealing (29) provision of the Canada Copyright Act.)

"It is a horror past most peoples' reason that an adult - or adults - would conspire to do harm, and do it, to a child. Adults can have their feuds and fights with each other, and they do; gangs can 'hit' the members of other gangs, and they do. And these too are deplorable circumstances, and send a circle of grief and pain to a lot of people not directly involved .

It is however, terribly different - a journey to a totally vile arena - when we learn of adults who do injury and terror and death to a young child. You do not have to be religious to accept the biblical words on someone who would "bring offense" on "the little ones", that "it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea."

For close to a month now, the town of Woodstock - all Ontario in fact - and to a good degree, the whole country too, have been, up until yesterday, waiting for some news on the fate of poor Tori Stafford - joyful, pretty 8 year old Tori Stafford - who was abducted after leaving her school - up until yesterday, because then the news came out that the innocent little girl was very likely killed within hours of her abduction - news which closed the doors on all hope for the many citizens of Woodstock, who have been searching and waiting since the woeful story began. Some of young Tori's closest relatives, her father and others - and it is piercing to watch - seem (and who cannot understand their situation?) unable to let go of hope.

People are white-hot angry and numb almost in the same moment. What combination of selfishness, cowardice, indulgence and rabid perversity inhabits a person to plan such injury on the helpless and the innocent; to steal a life before its dawn is over; to violate the peace of mind of parents and loved ones and vacate the harmony of an entire community? Hungry dogs in the street have more conscience.

Toronto went through a very similar - and equally terrible - vigil: that one was four bitter months in length, four years ago, when Cecilia Zhang - three days before all of her 10th birthday - was taken from her family's house. Poor Cecilia's body was found by a hiker. It's four years ago to us, the public - but I am sure it's yesterday to Cecilia's parents. These assaults, so terrible and repulsive in themselves, leave craters in the hearts of parents and family, almost as terrible to contemplate. I fear that yesterday's news must again have burned the hearts of those who were close to Cecilia.

And they radiate gloom and menace, I think, to nearly everyone. Yesterday's newscasts out of Woodstock tell the story: people - not even relatives - tearing up on camera; the police - for all their experience with the worst side of things - in this case wearing some of the shock and pain of everyone else.

It is the grotesque inequality between those who execute such crimes and their victims - the mercilessness of targeting the helpless and innocent - and the robbery of a whole life, that appalls and staggers us. Each new instance of violence visited upon a child calls up, unabated, a great wave of sympathy for the victim and utter revulsion towards the perpetrators. Thank God that it does, that we never get "adjusted" get "used" to such savagery.

Neighbours and friends are the best ones to offer genuine comfort and support to Tori's parents, but all of us, I am sure would wish to be part of that wave of sympathy to these two who are now grieving . We surely share their sorrow that one so young and unacquainted with the world was so cruelly and early taken from it.

For The National, I'm Rex Murphy."

Posted by The National on May 21, 2009 02:49 PM

Tori's case continues to bring awareness to Child Find
October 5, 2009
<snipped>
The executive director of Child Find Ontario said an awakening has occurred in Oxford County and across Canada following the disappearance and death of eight-year-old Victoria Stafford.

"This tragedy has affected everyone really. In terms of what transpired with Victoria missing and then found tragically, this has hit a sore nerve in many people," Child Find's John Lattimore Durant said.

Representatives from Child Find attended a fundraising dance for the organization Saturday at Ingersoll's CAW Hall. The hall was decorated in purple, Victoria's favourite colour, and pictures of other missing children lined the walls.

The community continued to show its support Saturday night during a fundraising event for Child Find Ontario at the CAW Hall in Ingersoll. Left to right, event organizer, Heather Downer, Rodney Stafford, event organizer, Sandra Roes, Terry Smith from Child Find and John Durant from Child Find stand with a picture of Victoria Stafford.
30074.dat

Article:
http://www.oxfordreview.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1973864
*Much more info in article link!

Dad tells of journey in memory of daughter
Rodney Stafford has been raising funds across the country for Child Find Canada in honour of Tori
October 7, 2009
<snipped>
[COLOR="Indigo"The eyes from the audience that watched Stafford talk about his stories were often wiped with tissues, while a poster showed the face of his smiling daughter, her eyes staring directly at her father as he stood the podium to talk about his little girl.

Stafford was in Huntsville as the guest speaker at the 11th annual general meeting of Muskoka Victim Services on Sept. 30. More than 50 people listened as he spoke about dealing with the loss of his precious daughter and told tales from his trip this summer across most of Canada to raise funds and awareness for Child Find Canada, a national non-profit organization that is dedicated to the search for, and prevention of, missing children.[/COLOR][/B]

[B][I]THAT'S MY GIRL: Rodney Stafford holds up an altered photo depicting him and his late daughter Tori standing on a mountain near Jasper, Alberta. He was speaking at the annual general meeting of Muskoka Victim Services.[/I][/B]
[IMG]http://multimedia.simcoe.com/images/6d/9f/b165296449a4a2f512296574cec1.jpeg[/IMG]

[B][I]Article:[/I][/B]
[url]http://www.huntsvilleforester.com/article/146896[/url]
[B]Amber alert changes can&#8217;t come soon enough: prof[/B]
[B][I]Faculty member offers family support in song[/I][/B]
Wednesday, 7 October 2009
<snipped>
[B][COLOR="Indigo"]There are four points of criteria in order for the police to issue an Amber Alert: the child must be younger than 18, the child must be confirmed as missing, police must have enough information about the child to render a search possible and they must believe that the child is significantly endangered.

Frank Marchese, a psychology professor at York, was particularly touched by the suffering of the Stafford family.

Marchese supports an online petition called &#8220;Tori&#8217;s Law,&#8221; signed by over 20,000 people, to get the police to review and change the Amber Alert system to help young children like Tori.[/COLOR]

p6.jpg

Article:
http://www.excal.on.ca/cms2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7450
Tori's death gives dad purpose
Trying to live life daughter would have wanted
October 13, 2009
<snipped>
Tori would have been proud of the man her father has become.

"It's the thing that keeps me going ... that what I am doing would have made her happy," says Rodney Stafford. "Yes, I think she would have been proud."

Stafford, who admitted to doing drugs, was a drifter and often wasn't around for his children. Victoria, known as Tori, changed that. In February, he cleaned up, moved back home to Ingersoll, Ont., and returned to school.

He starts school on Oct. 30 and has one credit to complete. Before Tori went missing, he had set his heart on working with Corrections Canada. Now he sees himself working with children &#8211; he doesn't know yet how but he says there's nothing else he wants to do.

It's his way of staying close to his daughter and making up. He visits the cemetery every week, lies down on the grass next to her grave and talks &#8211; mostly apologizing.

Article:
http://www.thespec.com/News/CanadaWorld/article/652375
Rodney Stafford speaks to Muskoka Victim Services
October 14, 2009
<snipped>
Muskoka Victim Services held its 11th annual general meeting on Sept. 30 at Partners Hall in Huntsville. The meeting was attended by approximately 50 people.

Stafford advised there are over 60,000 children missing in Canada each year, and over 26,000 in Ontario alone. He encouraged the public to do what it can to help.

Article:
http://www.gravenhurstbanner.com/article/147463
Video: One of the accused in the Tori Stafford murder appears in court
Updated Fri. Oct. 16 2009 2:06 PM ET
One of the two people accused in the death of Tori Stafford made a video court appearance today. But Michael Rafferty appeared from Chatham rather than London. His lawyer did not explain the move.
http://southwesternontario.ctv.ca/news.php?id=6002
Accused in Stafford Murder Back in Court
Fri, 2009-10-16 12:31.
<snipped>
Rafferty's next appearance is set for November 12th.

Terri-Lynne McClintic, who is also charged with murder and kidnapping, will near appear in court on November 27th.

Article:
http://www.cjbk.com/news/565/1006768
Accused in Tori Stafford case in Chatham jail
October 16, 2009
<snipped>
Michael Thomas Rafferty appeared in a Woodstock courtroom today via a video link from the Chatham jail.

Rafferty had been at Elgin-Middlesex Detention Centre in London.

His counsel, Laura Giordano would not provide details yesterday on the reasons for the move. "I can't comment as to why he was moved."

Article:
http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2133960
Rafferty moved to Chatham
October 16, 2009
<snipped>
&#8220;I can&#8217;t comment as to why he was moved,&#8221; said associate Laura Giordano of the law firm Derstine Penman. &#8220;I can tell you that we are vigorously defending Mr. Rafferty. That we are in the process of setting dates for a preliminary hearing. That we&#8217;re hoping will happen soon.&#8221;

Giordano did say Rafferty hadn&#8217;t been at the facility long and that she had visited Rafferty in his new home.

&#8220;I did go to see him and at this point I&#8217;m not about to speak of his treatment,&#8221; she said. &#8220;We may be able to comment more on this at a later date.&#8221;

Rafferty, dressed in prison orange with his arms behind his back, learned that there will be a continuation of judicial pretrial on Oct. 30.

Article:
http://www.oxfordreview.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2133965
Stafford's family outraged at suspect's move to smaller jail
Last Updated: 17th October 2009, 2:53am
<snipped>
But one of the sources that tipped off Sun Media about the move said Rafferty had made several complaints about the mail delivery, phone access and taunting by guards and other inmates at the EMDC.

Especially upsetting to Rafferty were threats from members of the Bandidos motorcycle gang, also held at the EMDC on murder charges, the source said.

Rafferty's life is much quieter and more casual at the Chatham jail, where he's held by himself in an area usually quartering four people, the source said.

He's allowed more privileges, such as snacks and access to a television, the source said.

The possibility Rafferty is getting anything he wants angered Tori's mother, Tara McDonald.

"Our family is absolutely outraged. There is no way that he should be receiving any sort of special treatment," she told Sun Media. "It's not a vacation. He shouldn't be able to have a choice about where he is incarcerated."

Article:
http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/canada/2009/10/17/11432946-sun.html

Tori's father donates thousands to Child Find
Last Updated: 30th October 2009, 1:55pm
<snipped>
The amount of money he raised -- $46,687.78 -- was simply overwhelming to the child-safety advocacy group.

"They were very impressed," Stafford said after the presentation at Woodstock city hall. "Child Find is pretty overwhelmed with the . . . amount of support out there."

Most of the money was raised during Stafford's Kilometres for Kids bike trek from Woodstock to Edmonton, which he began as a tribute to his slain daughter, Victoria.

"There's still more donations," Stafford said. "That's not actually a final total yet."

Article:
http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2009/10/30/11574716-sun.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loveland