Mexico Mexico - Edmond Solomon III, 66, Dementia, from Charleston SC, wandered off cruise ship, traded watch for taxi ride, Cozumel, 3 Apr 2024

CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCBD) – The search for a Charleston man missing in Mexico has shifted from rescue to recovery, according to family members.

Solomon’s sister-in-law, Ashley Hyer-Miller told News 2 on Friday that family members had organized a large group of volunteers to search for the missing man along with help from the military.

Solomon’s wife and some family members will remain in the country as they search for their loved one and seek answers.

He apparently didn’t have a cell phone? I would think a cell phone is something you’d want them to have with them, just in case something like this happened? And had no money, or credit card? to pay the taxi driver? Why? This doesn’t sound right to me. JMO

ETA: Even if he was nonverbal as they’ve reported, it could be used to track his movements, further than the GPS device of 33 ft.

Last edited:
It doesn't sound like a cruise was the right place for someone with advanced dementia.

Even the cruise ship itself would be a huge and confusing place! He must have felt quite frightened by it all, plus calling into a different place every day as well.

Far from ideal.

Praying for a good outcome.
Agree. And Mexico? SMH
That poor man.

So sad to read.

I think the public needs to be advised to outfit their endangered loved ones with air tags, especially if they are traveling. MOO
Per this article, Royal Caribbean cruise passenger with dementia, 66, disappears while on vacation in Mexico, it sounds like he did have a similar-style tracking device on him, worn as a necklace. However, it only worked over Bluetooth and Wifi, AND it only worked while he was within 35 or so feet of his wife's phone. I feel especially bad for the family, who probably thought they WERE being safe in having Brad (the name the missing man goes by) wear this tracker; I imagine they, like many other folks, were simply unaware of the limitations of this device until he was already out of range.

So sad to read.

I think the public needs to be advised to outfit their endangered loved ones with air tags, especially if they are traveling. MOO
And why not a cell phone? Honestly, I cane care if he problems verbally. It’s still a way to stay connected. Not to mention, a way to track him.
Nothing about this , makes any sense to me. JMO.

Per this article, Royal Caribbean cruise passenger with dementia, 66, disappears while on vacation in Mexico, it sounds like he did have a similar-style tracking device on him, worn as a necklace. However, it only worked over Bluetooth and Wifi, AND it only worked while he was within 35 or so feet of his wife's phone. I feel especially bad for the family, who probably thought they WERE being safe in having Brad (the name the missing man goes by) wear this tracker; I imagine they, like many other folks, were simply unaware of the limitations of this device until he was already out of range.
35 feet? Basically useless.

April 16, 2024

Brad Solomon’s family has returned to the United States following nearly two weeks of a dogged — but so far unsuccessful — search for the Charleston man, who wandered off in a market in Cozumel, Mexico, and has been missing ever since.

Savannah Miller, Solomon’s 29-year-old daughter, posted on Facebook that the family is back home “recovering,” updating scores of people closely following Solomon’s case on social media.

Could Brad have gotten onto another cruise line ship, by accident, and left the area ?
Getting on a ship is like getting on an airplane, you must have an ID card and be in their system with a picture on file. You walk through metal detectors and your baggage is scanned.

Every port, every time, you go through security.

It’s possible they underestimated how quickly he was declining, perhaps he was doing okay in regular routine but should not have been traveling, abroad to boot. this case is heartbreaking.
Hoping for peace and answers for his poor family.

Sad that there isn't any news or updates, I hope the family will get some type of closure at some point. I can't imagine what his wife is going through. Terrible outcome! I also can't imagine how lost and confused he must have been.

I have never been on a cruise so I don't know what the protocol is. Does the ship ask about your health prior to your trip? I would think that the companies wouldn't want anyone traveling with serious illness especially dementia, it's really risky. JMO

it sounds like he did have a similar-style tracking device on him, worn as a necklace. However, it only worked over Bluetooth and Wifi, AND it only worked while he was within 35 or so feet of his wife's phone.
What is the point in having a tracking device that only has a range of 35 feet?!?

Well, I suppose you can tell where they are in the house....but not much use anywhere else, really!

Does the ship ask about your health prior to your trip? I would think that the companies wouldn't want anyone traveling with serious illness especially dementia, it's really risky. JMO
I shouldn't think they care, as long as you have travel/medical insurance.

Many, many cruise ship customers are aged in their 60s, 70s and 80s, so dementia issues must be a common occurrence, I'd have thought.

Sad that there isn't any news or updates, I hope the family will get some type of closure at some point. I can't imagine what his wife is going through. Terrible outcome! I also can't imagine how lost and confused he must have been.

I have never been on a cruise so I don't know what the protocol is. Does the ship ask about your health prior to your trip? I would think that the companies wouldn't want anyone traveling with serious illness especially dementia, it's really risky. JMO

There is nothing inherent in cruising that wouldn't allow someone with dementia to go. If they tried that, I think there'd be lawsuits for discrimination. It's really no different than someone with dementia going on a family trip anywhere, even on road trips to another state. The reason this one is so awful is the outcome of him being lost in a foreign country, but that could happen with any trip.

MOO

There is nothing inherent in cruising that wouldn't allow someone with dementia to go. If they tried that, I think there'd be lawsuits for discrimination. It's really no different than someone with dementia going on a family trip anywhere, even on road trips to another state. The reason this one is so awful is the outcome of him being lost in a foreign country, but that could happen with any trip.

MOO
Dementia is an illness it is not a disability. I don't think discrimination plays in to this at all. Rides at Disney won't let passengers on with various conditions due to the risk involved. I was just asking a question about traveling on a cruise ship with dementia, of course people with dementia may travel and do road trips. I still have hope that he will be found alive. I am very familiar with how dementia impacts a person, I have family and friends that have suffered with it. Many times you have to make hard decisions about what they can and can't do.

Dementia is an illness it is not a disability. I don't think discrimination plays in to this at all.

Dementia most certainly is a disability.

"The ADA covers many neurological conditions marked by cognitive decline, among them Alzheimer’s disease, dementia with Lewy bodies, frontotemporal dementia, and Huntington’s disease."

Rides at Disney won't let passengers on with various conditions due to the risk involved.

They may suggest you not ride with certain conditions, but best I know, Disney does not require medical documentation from any passenger on any ride nor do they ban passengers from rides. If you have a link that states the contrary, I'm interested in reading it.

I was just asking a question about traveling on a cruise ship with dementia, of course people with dementia may travel and do road trips. I still have hope that he will be found alive. I am very familiar with how dementia impacts a person, I have family and friends that have suffered with it. Many times you have to make hard decisions about what they can and can't do.

And I was answering your question.

Dementia is an illness and also a disability, the same as MS, or ME or severe asthma or cystic fibrosis.

Obviously each one depends on the severity of the illness, but when it impacts day-to-day living, then it becomes a disability.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GidgetV
Back