Found Deceased MI - Brendan Santo 18, visitor, Michigan State University campus, East Lansing, 29 Oct 2021

I'm a little confused about why Oakland County Sheriff's Department was searching for Brendan on campus at MSU. Brendan is from Rochester Hills in Oakland County but did not go missing from his home here. He's a student at Grand Valley State University in Allendale, MI (Ottawa County) and went missing on the campus of Michigan State University in East Lansing, MI (Ingham County). I realize that search efforts draw from a variety of resources, but I'm wondering why Oakland County officials are being included in the search for Brendan Santo. Oakland County Sheriff's Department is stretched thin due to the Oxford High School shooting on November 30.

Brendon has been missing for six weeks. Praying that he is found soon.

I didn't even think about the horror at Oxford High WRT this investigation concerning Brendan. They have the bodies and a suspect at re Oxford High, so it's a bit different now,thank goodness, but you still have a point.
Is there more cooking here than meets the eye?

DEC 24, 2021
Reward increases for missing GVSU student | wzzm13.com

cd05bfc5-04b7-448c-886e-a3afdadc56e6_750x422.jpg

[...]

The pot is now at $20,000. The reward money is being held at an independent account at Genisys Credit Union. Police said the account is managed by a third party.

"As we enter the holiday season the family of Brendan Santo, who has been missing since October 29th, continues to be in our thoughts and weighs heavy on the hearts of our officers and investigators who have been working so hard on this case," MSU Police shared.

"In the days ahead as you gather with family and friends, please share this flyer and talk about this case. We are hopeful that someone may have some information that we have not yet received and that they will reach out and share that information with us," MSU Police wrote on Facebook.

[...]

IMO local LE can get warrants to track vehicles and obtain electronic data and they do not involve the FBI under most circumstances to obtain these warrants.

FBI also does not assist in cases were someone is believed to have accidentally fallen into a river.

If there were 50 people from the FBI at the search, there is something else at play. Perhaps the Feds are finally looking into all the young college age men that have ended up dead in rivers along the I-94 corridor?

Many of those cases had unusual circumstances and there may have been GHB involved in some as well...IMO.

It would certainly be a long time coming for the FBI to finally start looking into the smiley face killer(s). MOO

“That may be because this is just a mystery with no leads, that there is no spicy back story, that our family is not plastered on the news baring our souls or he’s just some boy that went missing. It’s sad that sometimes the public seems to need those reasons to pay attention but none of that really matters.”

Wow! Nice slap in the face to those of us who cannot be hands-on, but are trying to put scenarios together to help find this person! We here at WS are NOT in it for a spicy story. Ugh. Been here for years and years and have seen some patterns. One is that when the family or those close to the victim won’t answer simple questions. His frame of mind the past few weeks? Was he visiting a girlfriend who may have had someone in her life who’d do Brendan harm? Sadly, the cases that are all hush hush seem to fizzle out of the public’s attention.

“That may be because this is just a mystery with no leads, that there is no spicy back story, that our family is not plastered on the news baring our souls or he’s just some boy that went missing. It’s sad that sometimes the public seems to need those reasons to pay attention but none of that really matters.”

Wow! Nice slap in the face to those of us who cannot be hands-on, but are trying to put scenarios together to help find this person! We here at WS are NOT in it for a spicy story. Ugh. Been here for years and years and have seen some patterns. One is that when the family or those close to the victim won’t answer simple questions. His frame of mind the past few weeks? Was he visiting a girlfriend who may have had someone in her life who’d do Brendan harm? Sadly, the cases that are all hush hush seem to fizzle out of the public’s attention.
Wow is right and on today of all days.

These parents must be going through unimaginable hell right now. Their 18 year old son just vanished into thin air.

I think most on WS are here to try to help and show support for the victims, which right now are Brendan and his family. We're not here for a pat on the back.

Maybe they're not speaking about a girlfriend because there isn't one? And maybe they're quiet because there's no mystery and as far as they're aware, there was no serious issues going on with him.

What are they supposed to tell us if they have no clue either?

I think we should cut them some slack. They're probably very frustrated, as anyone in their position quite rightly would be. They owe us nothing.

Good post, @Allabouttrial --
Everyday I come here and hope to find good news -- that Brendan has been found safe and sound and is on his way home -- I always hope, as the rest of us here do.
I think what you said about Brendan is why many of us are still following -- he's a good, regular guy, he was excited about the upcoming game, being in college, having good family and friends, no agenda, like the boy we would love to have next door.
I can't imagine how today was for them -- and may well be for all time if Brendan isn't found safe and sound. Prayers, good wishes, and positive thoughts help Brendan's family, and us here at WS.

Just some basic questions with answers is what I’ve been looking for in MSM and haven’t seen, maybe I’ve missed the following:

Had he been drinking?
If so, how much?
Indulging in anything else?
If so, how much?
( no judgement on either)

What was the plan for that night with his friends? Meet up at a dorm? The car?

Who was the last person to see him or interact with him and what was his condition at that time?

Or did he just walk out of that dorm without seeing anyone or saying anything?
JMO

Saying a prayer for his family. Wish there was something that would help find him.

Last edited:
Praying that Brendan will be found before the end of 2021.

Prayer-of-St.-Brendan-the-Navigator-Irish-Patron-of-Sailors.png

Thank you, @BetteDavisEyes -- We all need that and especially Brendan and his family.
That prayer is one of my favorites -- timeless and for everyone. Sometimes I forget just to stop and say a prayer like that. Every day, for everyone.
Peace and love to you.

Last edited:
Just some basic questions with answers is what I’ve been looking for in MSM and haven’t seen, maybe I’ve missed the following:

Had he been drinking?
If so, how much?
Indulging in anything else?
If so, how much?

( no judgement on either)

What was the plan for that night with his friends? Meet up at a dorm? The car?

Who was the last person to see him or interact with him and what was his condition at that time?

Or did he just walk out of that dorm without seeing anyone or saying anything?
JMO

Saying a prayer for his family. Wish there was something that would help find him.

These are all reasonable questions for which we have no answers from LE, Brendan's family, or MSM. While I understand the need for LE to "keep things close to the vest" to protect the integrity of an ongoing investigation, I don't see harm in releasing some known details about Brendan's disappearance, especially when LE and the family has continually asked for the public's help in finding the missing young man.

My lingering questions:

Why is the ongoing search focused mainly on the Red Cedar River? Would it really compromise the investigation if we were given a specific reason for the extensive water searches?

The family has held several fund-raising events and collected quite a sum of money. Have they hired outside search teams or a P.I. to aid in the search for their missing son? Could their ongoing pleas to help them "bring Brendan home" suggest that he is being held somewhere against his will and that they need money to get him back?

How did Brendan like GVSU? Was he getting along with his roommate/s? Was he making friends on campus? If he hadn't driven to East Lansing that weekend, what would have done that weekend? Was he doing well in his classes? Was he involved in campus activities?

I hope, in time, that all of our questions are answered. Praying for closure for Brendan's family.

These are all reasonable questions for which we have no answers from LE, Brendan's family, or MSM. While I understand the need for LE to "keep things close to the vest" to protect the integrity of an ongoing investigation, I don't see harm in releasing some known details about Brendan's disappearance, especially when LE and the family has continually asked for the public's help in finding the missing young man.

My lingering questions:

Why is the ongoing search focused mainly on the Red Cedar River? Would it really compromise the investigation if we were given a specific reason for the extensive water searches?

The family has held several fund-raising events and collected quite a sum of money. Have they hired outside search teams or a P.I. to aid in the search for their missing son? Could their ongoing pleas to help them "bring Brendan home" suggest that he is being held somewhere against his will and that they need money to get him back?

How did Brendan like GVSU? Was he getting along with his roommate/s? Was he making friends on campus? If he hadn't driven to East Lansing that weekend, what would have done that weekend? Was he doing well in his classes? Was he involved in campus activities?

I hope, in time, that all of our questions are answered. Praying for closure for Brendan's family.

I believe that, unfortunately, there is a simple answer to your question about the Red Cedar River. I went to MSU back in the early 1990's and even back then MSU had a history of students perishing in the river. If they have searched the campus buildings thoroughly as well as the rest of campus, the most likely place left is the river. I'm hoping and praying that this is not true for Brendan.

I really doubt that the family was thinking about WS in that statement, I think it was more meant to mean the general public and some of the media, I think many parents have felt frustrated when cases like Gabby Petito get so much attention and theirs do not. The family may not even know that websleuths exists, filled with people who follow thousands of cases that get very little or no media attention and truly care.

It is just so sad that his family had to go through the holidays without Brandon, and worse without any answers. I do believe that he is in the river and just has not been found due to the complicating factors.

Why Three Investigators Blame a Rash of Drowning Deaths on a Gang of Killers

MSU researcher looks into drowning for 'Smiley Face Killers' TV show

The more I read about the Smiley Face Killer(s), the more I believe we cannot discount this possibility in the Brendan Santo case. Have any smiley faces been found on the MSU campus?
Probably. They’re pretty much everywhere. It’s been a pop culture thing for decades now.

Helsinki
2C04A3A5-060A-4E86-986E-0A1A9973EC92.jpeg
Ontario
419E7ECF-B02F-4983-A84D-E1F1050CA9DA.jpeg
UK
29BDD66F-1C65-4AD2-9209-B0ADBFE4455F.jpeg
Rome
4F68882E-0368-4D7F-9EE9-B3B90B69E940.jpeg

Banksy looks suspicious
102D723D-36C9-4365-BD26-2E5B59C0FFAF.jpeg B6638D3D-3857-43CC-BADF-A7E93400AC96.jpeg

And this guy..
Someone should have told him graffiti is illegal.
Battle Creek's Smiley Face Tagger Says He Is Ready To Face Consequences
The man responsible for a string of relatively positive graffiti messages in Battle Creek says he wanted to make people smile and is ready to turn himself in nearly a month after a warrant for his arrest was issued.
Late last year, spray-painted messages began popping up on buildings in Battle Creek

In Hawaii..
Discover Honolulu's Kaka'ako Murals, Delivered with a POW!
D5FD0A57-89E6-4EDE-95D8-323DDFBFAB87.jpeg

(I could do this all day)
The artist behind Vancouver's ubiquitous smiley face opens up about his 'cathartic' process
Next time you're standing at a crosswalk in downtown Vancouver, look down at the pavement and you might notice a little face smiling back at you.

FBI Statement Regarding Midwest River Deaths
  • FBI National Press Office(202) 324-3691
"Over the past several years, law enforcement and the FBI have received information about young, college-aged men who were found deceased in rivers in the Midwest. The FBI has reviewed the information about the victims provided by two retired police detectives, who have dubbed these incidents the “Smiley Face Murders,” and interviewed an individual who provided information to the detectives. To date, we have not developed any evidence to support links between these tragic deaths or any evidence substantiating the theory that these deaths are the work of a serial killer or killers. The vast majority of these instances appear to be alcohol-related drownings. The FBI will continue to work with the local police in the affected areas to provide support as requested,” said Supervisory Special Agent Richard J. Kolko, Washington, D.C.

Last edited:
Group asking anyone on MSU’s campus the night of disappearance for help finding Brendan Santo

EAST LANSING, Mich. (WILX) - An online search group called Bring Brendan Santo Home is now asking for photos to help in the search.

The group is asking anyone who was at Michigan State University on the night of Brendan’s disappearance to share their photos that may have Santo in the background.

The 18-year-old was last seen leaving Yakely Hall on MSU’s campus just before midnight on Oct. 29 and has been missing ever since. Santo, a Grand Valley State University student, was reportedly visiting friends on the night of his disappearance.

Police have been searching extensively for Brendan and their search now focuses on the red cedar river. The family is offering a $20,000 reward for any tips that lead to Santo’s return.

Why Three Investigators Blame a Rash of Drowning Deaths on a Gang of Killers

MSU researcher looks into drowning for 'Smiley Face Killers' TV show

The more I read about the Smiley Face Killer(s), the more I believe we cannot discount this possibility in the Brendan Santo case. Have any smiley faces been found on the MSU campus?

I would pretty much guarantee there are smiley faces on campus. There are a couple of bridges that are constantly targets for graffiti and there is "the rock" that gets repainted constantly. Hearts, smiley faces, and peace signs are common symbols in graffiti. I would be more surprised if they didn't find any.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MambeuX
Back