MI MI - Connie Kaye Crossland Corunna, 15, Shiawassee Co, 3 July 1963

Carl F. Foster was convicted in the death of his "girlfriend", Penelope Susan Crook (age 20) in 1964 and began a 10 - 15 year prison sentence for manslaughter. He would have probably gotten out of prison in the 1974-79 time frame.

What became of Carl F. Foster? There is no evidence that he was ever brought to trial for the murder of his wife, the murder of Connie Kay Crossland, or any other similar suspicious deaths - although there would seem to be a connection.

Did he die in prison? Was he released only to begin killing again? What was his record before his conviction at age 29?

Besides the very strong similarity in the death of Connie and the death of Mrs. Foster, there is other circumstantial evidence which places Connie in the same vicinity as Carl Foster prior to her death.

If alive today, Carl F. Foster would be 85 years old.

Carl F. Foster was convicted in the death of his "girlfriend", Penelope Susan Crook (age 20) in 1964 and began a 10 - 15 year prison sentence for manslaughter. He would have probably gotten out of prison in the 1974-79 time frame.

What became of Carl F. Foster? There is no evidence that he was ever brought to trial for the murder of his wife, the murder of Connie Kay Crossland, or any other similar suspicious deaths - although there would seem to be a connection.

Did he die in prison? Was he released only to begin killing again? What was his record before his conviction at age 29?

Besides the very strong similarity in the death of Connie and the death of Mrs. Foster, there is other circumstantial evidence which places Connie in the same vicinity as Carl Foster prior to her death.

If alive today, Carl F. Foster would be 85 years old.
An article said he was found guilty of first degree murder of his wife, 18 months after her “suicide.” This was after being found guilty of the manslaughter of his girlfriend and sentenced to 10-15 years. The article stated his first degree conviction carried a mandatory life term, so I’m guessing he either died in prison or is still there.

Connie K Crossland
BIRTH
DEATH 1963 (aged 14–15)
Shiawassee County, Michigan, USA
BURIAL
Oak Hill Cemetery
Owosso, Shiawassee County, Michigan, USA
-------------------------------------------------
Reports said she was found Thursday July 18th beaten & strangled in a brook in Lake Orion, Oakland County by a 10 foot long 1/2 inch Manila rope which was knotted twice and wrapped 6 times around her neck. She was from Corunna, Mi....

144857701_1428736149.jpg

LINK:
Connie K Crossland (1948-1963) - Find A Grave...

If the below narrative is correct, it would indicate that Connie was "missing" for 15 days before she was found murdered. The story about a rope being tightly wrapped and knotted around her neck does not sound like a hanging, but rather a strangling. The perpetrator may have wanted it to appear to be a suicide by hanging, but if that was his intention, he certainly missed the mark.

On 3 July 1963 Connie Crossland and two other girls ran away from the Jackson County Juvenile Home.

A little over two weeks later, on July 18, Connie's body was discovered by a truck driver around 9:30 am. He was driving over the Paint Creek bridge on Kern Road when he saw a rope around the railing. He got out to look over the side and saw Connie's body face down in just a few inches of water with a knotted rope wrapped tightly six times around her neck. She had also been beaten.

Witnesses who drove by the Paint Creek bridge area (where Connie's body was later found) said they saw a “clean cut” young man with the trunk of his white (or red & white) car open, between 4am & 6am. Another witness said he saw Connie on that same road around 1:30am with two men.

The coroner determined Connie's death to have taken place sometime between 2am and 6am... (presumably on 3 July?)

Read More: The Unsolved Murder of Connie Crossland of Corunna, 1963 | The Unsolved Murder of Connie Crossland of Corunna, 1963

Okay, there's similarities in the methods used in the murders but I'm not seeing the connection with Connie. To go from killing two adults females he was familiar with to killing a seemingly random teenage girl. I don't know about that one. The car he allegedly borrowed had been returned before the the sighting of Connie getting into the car which was a convertible according to the witness. The borrowed car was not.

Carl F. Foster's two separate murder convictions of his wife and girlfriend certainly establish him as a "serial killer".

The murder of Connie K. Crossland shares many similarities to both of those murders: time frame, location, and MO.

The Michigan cold case task force should look into Connie's death and consider Carl F. Foster as a potential suspect.

Any other similar unsolved crimes and missing person cases should also be compared with his known murders and patterns.

Last edited:
Connie ran away from a juvenile home along with two other girls on 3 July 1963. The other girls were picked up some time "shortly afterward". Connie's beaten and strangled body was found on 18 July 1963 - 15 days later and several counties away from the home.

Statements taken from the other girls at the time would be important primary documents to cold case investigators looking for answers.

60 years ago...

Connie Kaye Crossland, age 15 was murdered on 3 July 1963.
Her case remains officially unsolved.

A couple of years ago I spoke with a cold case detective at the Oakland County Sheriff's office and they'd dusted this case off and were looking at it.

I've always liked Byron Hoffmeister for her murder Offender Tracking Information System (OTIS) - Offender Profile He worked at a fueling station in Berkley or Royal Oak, probably along Woodward.

JMO/MOO

A couple of years ago I spoke with a cold case detective at the Oakland County Sheriff's office and they'd dusted this case off and were looking at it.

I've always liked Byron Hoffmeister for her murder Offender Tracking Information System (OTIS) - Offender Profile He worked at a fueling station in Berkley or Royal Oak, probably along Woodward.

JMO/MOO

I don't know much about this individual. His prison profile indicates that he murdered someone in Livingston County, Michigan on 11 August 1971.

He was convicted of that murder in 1997. Do you have any information about that crime?

I don't know much about this individual. His prison profile indicates that he murdered someone in Livingston County, Michigan on 11 August 1971.

He was convicted of that murder in 1997. Do you have any information about that crime?
I did an episode about Hoffmeister as my uncle graduated from Berkley HS with him.

He also murdered one of his classmates who lived in Huntington Woods in 1967

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cricketcms
Back