Deceased/Not Found MI - Coral Hall, 14, Flint, 22 Sept 1998 - *L. Janish guilty*

Unfortunately I cannot copy and paste the link to the new article, my phone won't let me :/ oh well. I'm sure cubby and get the link up for u lol. Life's been hectic for me and I'm sorry I haven't posted on here. Prayers for Coral and hope the trial goes well.

Police offer reward in last-gasp push to find missing Flint girl's body
-c390d3a0a613f9b0.JPG

FLINT, MI -- Police are making one last attempt to find the body of Coral Hall, a Flint girl who disappeared in 1998. Her grandmother is facing a murder charge in her disappearance.

"No one has seen or heard from Coral" since she has been missing, said Julie Lopez of Crime Stoppers of Michigan. "The Flint Police Department ... has made several searches with negative results."

Investigators and friends said in a news conference Wednesday, Feb. 4, that they hope an increased reward of up to $2,500 will bring new information that will lead them to Hall, who is presumed dead.

"We miss her very much," said Melissa Jackson, a childhood friend of Hall. "She was like a sister ... a great person. I still remember her laugh."

Hall would have been 30 Wednesday, but police say her grandmother, Lois Janish, confessed to killing the girl with a hammer before dismembering her body and scattering her remains -- a story that Janish later recanted.
http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2015/02/coral_hall.html
-3acd4267fd7ef18e.JPG

-0e9a7b007bb293a7.JPG

Tanya Boillat, left, and Melissa Jackson, both of Burton and childhood friends of Coral Hall, speak during a press conference Wednesday, Feb. 4, 2015 at the Flint Police Department in downtown Flint. Police are making one last attempt to find the body of Coral Hall, a Flint girl who disappeared in 1998, and whose grandmother is facing trial for her alleged murder. Investigators and friends said in a news conference that they hope an increased reward of up to $2,500 will bring new information that will lead them to Hall, who is presumed dead. Jake May | MLive.com

Where do they plan to look for her body? Flint has changed over the years. Many buildings have burned down or been torn down or are abandoned. A few new buildings have gone up. Places have been cleared and made into parking lots. Areas of town are littered with trash. I can't imagine finding a body from so long ago in Flint, and especially if it was dismembered and scattered around. How would they even know where to start to look. The body would be just bones by now. With so many pit bulls loose in Flint, surely any bones would have been carried off and probably chewed up. It would be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

They will look for her wherever they can, hopefully with crime stoppers offering a bigger award and having the press conference getting the word out there. Putting the case in the spotlight so to speak, will make someone with information come forward. We don't even know if she is dismembered it's one of the numerous stories L.J. Has given.....

Next court date 04/24/14 for status of competency report.

http://www.co.genesee.mi.us/roaccsinq/ROACase.aspx?CASE=13033553&CASETYP=FC&FILENAME=C041591454

From the info at the above link, it doesn't look like a trial date has been set.

Thinking of Coral and Melissa often. Praying for those who are awaiting justice and answers.
Pretrial hearing set for June 29th.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall to overhear the discussion between Lois and her attorney. I can't help wonder what is happening behind the scenes in this case as we await trial.

Wishing this case would get to trial and Lois would fess up the location of Coral's remains.

99 05/21/15 SET NEXT DATE FOR: 06/01/15 3:00 PM
MOTION HEARING LIMINE NOTICE OF HEARING & PROOF OF SERVICE FILED DEFT'S MOTION IN LIMINE TO
EXCLUDE INTRODUCTION OF MCL 769.27B EVIDENCE FILED

100 SET NEXT DATE FOR: 06/01/15 2:59 PM MOTION HEARING CHANGE OF VENUE
NOTICE OF HEARING & PROOF OF SERVICE FILED DEFT'S MOTION FOR CHANGE OF VENUE FILED

101 SET NEXT DATE FOR: 06/01/15 2:58 PM MOTION HEARING DISCOVERY
NOTICE OF HEARING & PROOF OF SERVICE FILED
DEFT'S FOR SUPPLEMENTAL DISCOVERY - PERMISSION TO SUBPOENA RECORDS FROM NON- PARTIES FILED

http://www.co.genesee.mi.us/roaccsinq/ROACase.aspx?CASE=13033553&CASETYP=FC&FILENAME=C052982751

102 06/02/15 set next date for: 06/08/15 2:58 pm
motion hearing discovery

103 set next date for: 06/08/15 2:59 pm motion hearing change of venue

104 set next date for: 06/08/15 3:00 pm motion hearing limine

105 06/08/15 set next date for: 06/15/15 2:58 pm motion hearing discovery; adj'd from 6/8/15 at request of prosecutor.

106 set next date for: 06/15/15 2:59 pm motion hearing change of venue; adj'd from 6/8 at request of prosecutor.

107 set next date for: 06/15/15 3:00 pm motion hearing limine; adj'd from 6/8/15 at request of prosecutor.

108 06/15/15 motion hearing proceed digital recorded-def in jail deft appeared in court motions filed by defense counsel pending. Motion for change of venue reserved for further arguments if needed at time of any jury selection. defense's motion for subpoena of victims school record heard - subpoena to be limited to specific records as placed on the record from january - to her disappearance.

109 set next date for: 07/27/15 3:00 pm miscellaneous hearing control date on motions

I can't add the link correctly to this post. Use the same link as my previous post. (new search, last name Janish and choose the 2013 date.)

I wonder why the defense is requesting Coral's school records....... to prove or disprove what was reported in the media regarding Coral possibly being taken from her grandmother due to poor attendance?

I'm also wondering why on earth the defense would think this case warrants a change of venue? Really? SMH.

I wish this would get closer to trial..... perhaps the delays mean the defense really fears the prosecutions case?
:praying:

I haven't forgotten Coral. Still waiting for this to get to trial. Hoping the September trial date is still a go.

"MI grandma pleads no contest to killing, dismembering teen"

http://www.fox10tv.com/story/22979738/woman-charged-with-granddaughters-cold-case-disappearance

Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton has announced a Flint woman pled no contest in the 1998 cold case death of her granddaughter.

Leyton said Lois Arlene Janish, 75, is charged with second-degree murder related to the 1998 disappearance of her granddaughter, 14-year-old Coral Hall.

The charge of second-degree murder carries a maximum penalty of life in prison. She will be sentenced on Nov. 3.

The plea agreement does not include a sentencing agreement, but Genesee Circuit Judge Joseph Farah agreed with Mainprize-Hajek to consider a sentencing proposal that would allow Janish to be sentenced under the state's manslaughter guidelines.

Manslaughter is punishable by up to 15 years in prison. Second-degree murder is punishable with up to life.

A no contest plea did not require Janish to admit how she killed Hall or where her body is located. Farah used investigative information provided earlier in the case to establish a factual basis.

However, Farah also agreed to consider during sentencing Janish's cooperation if she provides information that leads to the discovery of Hall's body.

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2015/09/grandmother_reaches_murder_ple.html

I'm torn on this plea. I wonder how Coral's friends feel. Did they want to look Lois in the eye in the courtroom?

I'm disappointed the plea didn't require her to fess up the location of Coral's remains. Now we have to wait and see if she fesses up before sentencing or not.

I was really hoping and am still holding out hope Lois has some kind of conscience and fesses up what happened with Coral's remains.

This is bittersweet because it doesn't bring Coral back.

Since Coral's friends and family were not able to witness a trial, I hope they have the opportunity to go to the sentencing hearing, if they so choose. That would be a nice way to show Lois no one had forgotten Coral, if they felt the need to see her in person.

I don't want to be the advocate for someone who did something so twisted but maybe after all these years, grandmother Lois does not remember where the remains were scattered. Perhaps, all she remembers is an extremely broad geographic area (for example: Flint, Wayne County, the UP, etc.). I mean, she had a crack habit (according to her admission) and possibly other mental maladies. I hope during that time, she told someone or maybe someone saw something or even helped and now wants to ease their conscience.
I'd also like to add my voice in admiration to Coral's friends. Nobody is perfect but I don't think you could ask for better friends. Those are people for whom I have no problem being an advocate. Michigan Live has done excellent reporting too, especially the one reporter, Ron F. Great job. The area civil servants, it appears, at least the last few years have done great work; at least with this case.

I hope Coral knows how much her friend fought for her. May Coral and her friends be blessed and her grandmother rot in you know where.

Prayers for those that loved and stood by Coral.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ServerNotResponding
Back