MI MI - Eric Franks, 40, Buena Vista Twp, 21 March 2011 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
has the family used a private investigator or talked to any of the volunteer search groups? They may be of a lot of help to you and also push LE a little to get moving on this.

I posted that before I had read the whole thread. I just got here, oh, a couple hours ago, and I've been reading and typing at the same time. I still haven't seen how old the child is, but I get the impression the ex girlfriend was not happy to see Eric in regard to the child. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Searchingfamily, don't be surprised if someone shows up here to present HER side of the story.

It's hard to know who is telling the truth about the stuff with the child, but we know for sure that Eric was unaware of the child for many years. The eGF is the one who told him about the child only just before he moved there in fall 2010, and that's what got him to move. Perhaps she later regretted the decision to share that info with him - it's hard to know.

Ultimately we just want the truth and want to find Eric - we are not trying to incriminate anyone here. We've never mentioned names here and won't. All we're trying to say that there is difference between what the motel owner says and what the eGF says about the last time anyone is known to have seen him. What that means is hard to know.

Investigators have obviously gone to the public for a reason - at first you go to the people closest to the situation or who saw him last, which is what we did, what the police did, and what you all are wisely doing too. But while the inconsistencies have not been cleared up, they obviously felt it was time to get help.

Hi searchingfamily. I'm so sorry about Eric and what your family must be going through.

If I may ask, was the gf married when the baby was conceived?

Did they own or rent the house they moved out of?
Would the current tenants have anything to add or have you talked to them?

Also, just a thought but maybe going back through archived Craigs list adds for his type of car may lead to something?

Where did the gf move to and is she still married?

How old is the child?

I had a huge post with lots of questions and then this computer ate it.
My comments were mainly concerned with Eric's SSN. Wouldn't law enforcement be able to subpoena the records? I got a deceased family member's SSN off the internet. I don't remember how I did it. BUT it would be a break to find out if she has been claiming SS benefits for his minor child.
Did she voluntarily tell him about the child or did he find out and she had no choice to tell him. Or did welfare get her to file for support?
If you google Amy Boyer, you'll find you can easily get his SSN off the internet. It will cost you, but you can get it.

I will ask the police about the possibility of a subpoena re: the SSN. We know it and have provided it to them - what they are saying is that the IRS or whatever won't tell them if it's being used somewhere.

As far as we know the eGF voluntarily told him about the child. I'd rather not say the age or gender, but I will say that the police interviewed the child.

Has anyone looked at a map to see what bodies of water are nearby? Also, quarries and mines. What kind of vehicle did she use when she cleared out his room? Did she have his car? Has his car been seen by anyone since then? Did he have any credit cards? Or a bank card? A bank account?

Michigan has so much water it's overwhelming to think about, but it's certainly crossed our minds that is where the car and Eric may be. So far there's been no interest from police in searching - and I'm not sure we really can blame them. Where would they start? Based on what?

Unfortunately one of the things making this harder is that Eric never did much with banking and never had a credit card as far as we know. He did have a cell phone, and while I won't share everything they found from the calls once they finally pulled the data last June, police did determine the phone never left Saginaw Co.

Yes, the car is missing. The car was owned by his mother, she has the title, clean and no lein. She has received no notice from a tow company or anything of the like.

My experience is the title office won't reveal personal info about a vehicle title. Is that something you have a different experience on, or is that something the police could check?

If the vehicle was towed and eventually sold the tow company puts a lien against the owner to recoup their expenses. On the chance that this happened perhaps Mom could run a public records search in her name to see if it is on record somewhere.
I lost a vehicle this way and never received notice. I lent the car to another person and when I found out it was towed it had been sold and a lien had been placed against me. I never received any notice which I should have. If mom ever had a different address since buying the car it would certainly mess up her getting notified.
LE may not have checked this since they had the wrong vin number. It may be impossible for them to trace it unless their is a lien against your mom.

In case you haven't noticed, searchingfamily, you have the attention of quite a few people that are more than willing to help you find answers. Some of these people are the best. I wish you the best, take care.

You all are helping us generate more questions to ask the police. Thank you.

We are hoping those to mentioned being willing to put up posters in Saginaw and perhaps Detroit are still willing and will maybe even share where they have posted.

We are going to call the news stations listed earlier tomorrow. We understand it aired on WNEM at least three times, possibly four. Hoping to get other stations to do so as well.

I just don't understand the part of the egf moving his things out of the motel over 2 days. Then claiming she saw him going down the road after he stated he was headed to Ca. That is just so off to me. Could the husband have wanted him out of the picture and she implemented it or helped. I understand that is difficult and possibly compromising for you to answer but it sure has me wondering.

has the family used a private investigator or talked to any of the volunteer search groups? They may be of a lot of help to you and also push LE a little to get moving on this.

We are so unfamiliar with this. We have thought of a PI at different times but weren't sure when it would be helpful. We are reading over those links someone shared yesterday on that subject.

As far as the volunteer search groups - didn't even know they existed until yesterday, but...where would we ask them to search? We have no guesses as to where he or the car might be other than proximity to the motel, I suppose. Will they go out for a lead as soft as that?

I just don't understand the part of the egf moving his things out of the motel over 2 days. Then claiming she saw him going down the road after he stated he was headed to Ca. That is just so off to me. Could the husband have wanted him out of the picture and she implemented it or helped. I understand that is difficult and possibly compromising for you to answer but it sure has me wondering.

Again, just want to stress that it's the motel owner who says she was there alone removing his things. SHE doesn't admit to that - she says he was there.

Police have said BOTH have been consistent in their telling of events to them, so we understand how hard it is for them to make sense of it. Someone's version of events is clearly wrong. What that means is unknown.

Another thought I have is contacting salvage yards, junk yards, auto recycling type places from that general time period within 100 mile radius. I know it seems daunting but I would think most keep some sort of record. If a few of you took 1 hour and picked an area it may be quite doable. Just explain your story and you may be surprised how willing they are to help you network.

If the vehicle was towed and eventually sold the tow company puts a lien against the owner to recoup their expenses. On the chance that this happened perhaps Mom could run a public records search in her name to see if it is on record somewhere.
I lost a vehicle this way and never received notice. I lent the car to another person and when I found out it was towed it had been sold and a lien had been placed against me. I never received any notice which I should have. If mom ever had a different address since buying the car it would certainly mess up her getting notified.
LE may not have checked this since they had the wrong vin number. It may be impossible for them to trace it unless their is a lien against your mom.

She didn't move, so we can rule that out as reason for lack of notification.

How does one run a public records search like that? Are we talking Internet or what?

We do know they checked with some salvage yards, but if the VIN given was wrong, who knows? Hopefully they already are planning to, but we're going to ask the police to redo anything they need to now that we know the VIN was listed incorrectly.

Since the car is in mom's name I wonder if reporting it stolen is an option?

Just throwing thoughts out there.

Need to go for the evening, I sure hope we as a group can help guide you towards anything in finding Eric.

She didn't move, so we can rule that out as reason for lack of notification.

How does one run a public records search like that? Are we talking Internet or what?

We do know they checked with some salvage yards, but if the VIN given was wrong, who knows? Hopefully they already are planning to, but we're going to ask the police to redo anything they need to now that we know the VIN was listed incorrectly.

Yeah, I was thinking an internet search since the car may have ended up in another state even.

Another thought I have is contacting salvage yards, junk yards, auto recycling type places from that general time period within 100 mile radius. I know it seems daunting but I would think most keep some sort of record. If a few of you took 1 hour and picked an area it may be quite doable. Just explain your story and you may be surprised how willing they are to help you network.

Up to now we've been relying on police to do that, which we know they did some of...with the wrong VIN (not their fault - the local PD here in Ohio keyed it in wrong). But you all are helping us realize we can and need to do this ourselves. Calls starting tomorrow.

Since the car is in mom's name I wonder if reporting it stolen is an option?

Just throwing thoughts out there.

Need to go for the evening, I sure hope we as a group can help guide you towards anything in finding Eric.

No one wants to file a report saying it was stolen because they have no proof it is stolen. The last person who is known to have had it had permission to have it. It's reported missing, of course.

Thanks again for everyone's ideas.

I agree with ColdPizza, your Mom should report the car stolen. That may get the attention of more law enforcement agencies.

egf was the last one to see it and she moved away right after that, hhhmmm. :waitasec:

Check the manufacturer's website for a users forum. I have a Honda and so use the Honda owner's forum. To register requires the VIN and some other information. I get an email for recalls, etc.

If someone has already registered with the VIN of your Mom's stolen car, LE has more folks to check out!

Best wishes,

Laughing

Searchigfamily-
Did Eric have a cell phone? Do we know where his phone last pinged? That would be helful for an organization like Klaas Kids, etc to know where to search.

Also, you said Eric previously lived in Tupelo, Mississippi. That's a long way from Michigan. Do people in Tupelo know he's missing in case something happened to make him disoriented and he returned to Tupelo?

Hotel owner says she'd visit him at the motel - not living there. She and her husband have a house in Buena Vista Twp. but they have moved out of state.

HMMM did her husband know about him and was he suspicious of his wife visiting ex Bf at a motel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member