MI MI - Henry Baltimore, 21, East Lansing, 30 May 1973

Bumping for Henry.
Henry Baltimore
"It’s possible that Henry fled the area because he feared for his life after testifying, but his family does not believe he would have done this without contacting anyone, and without taking his car.

More likely, the men who robbed him were responsible for his disappearance. I do not know if either of them have been questioned recently.

Interestingly, a longtime member of the online MP community, who posts with the username Richard, knew Henry from college. Richard has been actively pursuing missing persons cases for more than a decade, and has contributed a great deal to the cause. He also recalls Henry as having a great personality and being very talented.

Recently, on a website for Parkside High School’s 40 year reunion, a posting about the event brought the curious reply of “I used to be Henry Baltimore.” It is most likely a hoax, but I do hope that law enforcement checks into it just to be sure. It appears the family has no idea who sent it, or if it even actually existed.

Henry’s parents are both deceased, but his siblings continue to search for him. I hope he can be found soon."

Last May marked the 45 year anniversary of Henry Baltimore's disappearance.

It is inconceivable, in the opinion of most, that he simply decided to take off on his own, quit school at the end of the semester, abandon his car, his belongings, his family and friends.

The situation involving persons burglarizing his apartment, and then threatening him into NOT testifying against them is a highly suspicious factor to consider. They most likely abducted Henry and murdered him to prevent him from testifying against them. But that is speculation on my part.

Unfortunately, LE never felt that they had enough evidence to charge the pair with anything in regard to Henry's disappearance. Even the Burglary charges were dropped.

Here is a link to the history of the Michigan State University "drum line" of the Spartan Marching Band. The photo shows Henry Baltimore in the center of the group behind his Bass Drum, which he played as a Junior in the Fall 1971 football season.

The following year, Fall of 1972 He and Roy Hough (seen in the back row of the drum line photo) were Dual Drum Majors.

LINK:
Michigan State University Drumline

Henry Louis Baltimore Jr. – The Charley Project
  • henry_louis_baltimore_jr._1.jpg
  • henry_louis_baltimore_jr._2.jpg
  • henry_louis_baltimore_jr._3.jpg
  • henry_louis_baltimore_jr._4.jpg

Baltimore, circa 1973

• Missing Since 05/30/1973
  • Missing From East Lansing, Michigan
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Date of Birth 01/16/1952 (66)
  • Age 21 years old
  • Height and Weight 6'2, 175 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A black turtleneck sweater, light gray slacks and black and gray or black and white shoes.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics African-American male. Black hair, brown eyes. Baltimore's hair was styled in a large Afro at the time of his disappearance.
Details of Disappearance
Baltimore was last seen in East Lansing, Michigan on May 30, 1973. He was a junior at Michigan State University in Jackson at the time, studying social science and music with the intention of becoming a social worker. He was an honors student and a co-drum major in the university marching band, and was considered quite musically talented. He also had a job at the university library.

Baltimore's 1968 Buick was found at his home an hour and a half after he was last seen. He also left behind his car keys, money, clothes and other belongings. At the time of his disappearance, he lived with three roommates at an off-campus apartment in the 300 block of Oak Hill Avenue in East Lansing. He is the second of eight children and the oldest son. His older sister was also a student at Michigan State in 1973, getting her master's degree.

Baltimore was discovered missing when his sister went to his apartment to get a paper she'd agreed to type for him. He wasn't there, and his roommates said he'd gone to the library and never returned. His sister became concerned after the due date for his paper came and went without her hearing from him, and she contacted their father, who went to the police.

In March 1973, Baltimore went to the police and reported that two male attackers had tied him to his bed, pistol-whipped him and stole $110 in cash, a golf bag, a watch and some clothing. He said he'd waited ten days to report the crime because he was afraid.

One suspect, 22-year-old Roy L. Davis, was subsequently arrested and charged with armed robbery. Baltimore was fined $50 for failing to appear at Davis's preliminary hearing to testify against him. He resurfaced two days later and asked the police to drop the case, but they refused. He later testified at a rescheduled hearing. Baltimore told his sister that Davis had threatened to kill him, and his family stated the criminal case had caused him a great deal of stress.

Baltimore disappeared two days before Davis's arraignment on June 1. Neighbors stated they saw Davis knocking on Baltimore's front door on the day he went missing. Later that year, Davis pleaded guilty to felonious assault with intent to commit robbery and was sentenced to six months in jail. He has never been charged in connection with Baltimore's disappearance, and he has an alibi for the disappearance, backed up by his mother.

Baltimore is a former Cub Scout and Jackson Citizen Patriot delivery boy, and a 1970 graduate of Parkside High School in Jackson, Michigan. Authorities initially believed he went into hiding so he would not have to testify against Davis, but the length of time that has passed since his disappearance makes this unlikely. His family never thought he had left voluntarily, as he kept in close contact with them prior to his disappearance, and they have not heard from him since 1973.

Baltimore's father and two of his brothers have since died, but his mother and remaining siblings are still alive and looking for him. Foul play is now suspected in his case, which remains unsolved."

Hello,

I am producing a documentary film about Henry. You can learn more from this Alumni Band Facebook post. This forum has been one of the most informative resources my team and I have had at hand, so thank you all for contributing what you have. I know some of you have been posting about this for many years. I hope I am not breaking any WebSleuth rules by asking for this, but if you would be willing to talk to me privately about Henry, you can do so from the link in the Alumni Band post. We would like to gain as much information as we can.

Thank you,
Andrew

Hello,

I am producing a documentary film about Henry. You can learn more from this Alumni Band Facebook post. This forum has been one of the most informative resources my team and I have had at hand, so thank you all for contributing what you have. I know some of you have been posting about this for many years. I hope I am not breaking any WebSleuth rules by asking for this, but if you would be willing to talk to me privately about Henry, you can do so from the link in the Alumni Band post. We would like to gain as much information as we can.

Thank you,
Andrew
Welcome to Ws AndrewAce, delighted that you will be producing a documentary about Henry!

Here is a 2014 article about Henry's disappearance from his family's perspective.
By Amanda Emery
Family pleads for answers in Henry Baltimore Jr. missing person case

Henry Baltimore Jr. went missing May 30, 1973, after he was set to testify in the case of the Flint man who had robbed him at his apartment earlier in the year. Crime Stoppers is offering a cash reward of $2,500 for information that leads to an arrest in his disappearance. In addition to this reward, the city of East Lansing and Michigan State University are each offering a $5,000 reward a piece for information as well.

FLINT, MI – His keys, car, money and clothes were left in his East Lansing apartment untouched, as if Henry Baltimore Jr. had vanished without a trace. Now, 41 years later, his family is reaching out to the public in hopes that someone will come forward with information on his disappearance.

Henry Baltimore Jr. was a 21-year-old drum major at Michigan State University where he was majoring in music in 1973 when he disappeared. His sister Lural Baltimore and brother Lonnie Baltimore, of Lansing, said he was a leader, yet a fun-loving young man. Lural said the past 41 years not knowing what happened to her brother have been devastating to her family. She said both her parents died not knowing what happened to Henry.

"I think it has had a devastating effect on our family. Particularly my father and my mother because they were so hopeful that someday we would know something and always told us to keep the faith that he would one day walk through the door with his smiling face and say 'I'm home.'" Lural said. "But that never happened. It's just been a hole in our heart that we've never known exactly what has occurred with him."

Baltimore went missing May 30, 1973, after he was set to testify in the case of a Flint man accused of robbing him at his apartment earlier in the year.

East Lansing Police Lieutenant Scott Wriggelsworth said Henry Baltimore was robbed in March of 1973 at gunpoint inside his apartment in East Lansing on Oakhill Drive.

Wrigglesworth said it took Baltimore a few days to report the robbery. A Flint man was identified as a suspect and charged in the robbery, he said.

Just before he was to give testimony in the Circuit Court arraignment on May 30, 1973, Baltimore went missing, and was never seen again....

LINK:

Family pleads for answers in 1973 MSU missing-person case with Flint connections

The State News is and was the student newspaper of Michigan State University. The following article was published in it on Wednesday, June 20, 1973, on page 5. This was 3 weeks after Henry went missing. Because it was published after the Spring term, during the summer, many students would not hear about it until months later when Fall classes started up.

--------------------------------
MSU drum major disappears

By Jim Bush
The State News

Henry Baltimore, a drum major for the MSU marching band, is missing following his testimony against the man accused of robbing him at gunpoint last March.

Baltimore, Jackson junior, was reported missing from his Oakhill Avenue apartment by his parents on May 31, East Lansing police announced last week.

His sister, Lural Baltimore, a graduate student at MSU, said she fears Baltimore was kidnapped. She said Roy Davis, who is charged in the March 3 robbery, visited her brother shortly after Baltimore testified at Davis' preliminary exam and allegedly told him "I should have killed you when I had the chance."

Baltimore indicated at the preliminary exam that Davis was one of two men who came to his room at noon on March 3, tied him to his bedsprings and robbed him at gunpoint of $110 and several personal items.

East Lansing Detective Sgt. Dean Tucker would not confirm the threat and said he has no indication that Baltimore was abducted.

"I have no control over what Baltimore's friends and relatives say, and I cannot verify it," Tucker said.

However, East Lansing Detective Jim Kelly Monday said police are not ruling out the possibility that Baltimore was abducted. He said police have not yet uncovered any firm leads as to Baltimore's whereabouts.

Paul Lott, one of Baltimore's three roommates at 340 Oakhill Ave. said he had not heard from Baltimore since May 30. He said that he and Baltimore were close enough friends that, had Baltimore voluntarily gone into hiding, he would have found out about it.

"I think Henry's being missing has something to do with Roy Davis," Lott, Flint sophomore, said. "I think he was kidnapped. If he was hiding, he'd let us know. He would've taken his car."

Baltimore's car, a 1968 Buick, remained in its apartment parking space until Baltimore's father picked it up last week.

Baltimore's sister echoed Lott's remarks.

"When I went to Henry's apartment the day after he was last seen, I saw his car in the parking lot and his books strewn about the floor," she said. "We're close enough that I know he rarely goes anywhere without his car."

However, police are considering the possibility that Baltimore has voluntarily gone into hiding to avoid testifying at Davis' trial. Baltimore failed to appear at an original preliminary exam for Davis early in May, Kelly said. He said a bench warrant was issued for Baltimore's arrest and Baltimore was fined $50 for failing to appear. Baltimore then proceeded to testify at a newly scheduled preliminary exam on May 24.

Lott said that the stolen goods had been returned to Baltimore in return for a promise that Baltimore would not testify at Davis' preliminary exam, which would then have caused the case against Davis to be dismissed.

Kelly said Baltimore may have thought he would be required to testify at Davis' arraignment in Ingham County Circuit Court on June 1. He may have voluntarily gone into hiding to avoid testifying at the arraignment, Kelly theorized.

It was later, on May 24, that the alleged threat against Baltimore's life was made. And it was six days after that when Baltimore was last seen by Lott as Baltimore, a social science major and honor student, returned from a morning class.

One hour later, at 11:30 a.m. a neighbor of Baltimore reportedly saw two men knock at Baltimore's door. Lott said no one else was home at the time.

Kelly said that anyone with any information of Baltimore's whereabouts should call East Lansing police at 351-4220.

Here is a video made 25 November 1972 showing the MSU Band's Pregame show in Spartan Stadium. Featured in this clip are the Dual Drum Majors: Henry Baltimore and Raymond Hough.

LINK:

The Doe Network: Case File 2149DMMI

HLBaltimore.jpg
HLBaltimore1.jpg

Henry Louis Baltimore Jr.
Missing since May 30, 1973 from East Lansing, Ingham County, Michigan
Classification: Endangered Missing
Vital Statistics
    • Date Of Birth: January 16, 1952
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 21 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'2"; 175 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: Black male. Black hair; brown eyes.
    • Marks, Scars: No tattoos and no distinctive scars.
    • Clothing: Black turtleneck sweater, light grey slacks, and black and grey shoes.
    • Dentals: Available
  • DNA: Available in CODIS.
Circumstances of Disappearance
Baltimore was last seen in East Lansing, Michigan on May 30, 1973.

Henry was scheduled to testify as the victim and witness of an armed robbery that took place in March 1973, but he vanished a few days before the hearing.

At the time of his disappearance, Henry was a social science and music honor student and the drum major for the Michigan State University Marching Band.

His 1968 Buick was located on campus and all his belongings were in place.
Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

East Lansing Police Department
517-319-6811

Agency Case Number: 1241.C.73

Source Information:
East Lansing Police Department
MLive

rbbm.
The Trail Went Cold – Episode 114 – Henry Baltimore Jr. and Oliver Munson
March 6, 2019
"May 30, 1973. East Lansing, Michigan. The sister of 21-year old university student Henry Baltimore Jr. goes to meet him at his apartment, but discovers he is not there and eventually reports him missing. Nearly three months earlier, a pair of attackers had broken into Henry’s apartment to assault and rob him and police arrested a suspect named Roy Davis. After Henry testified against Davis at his preliminary hearing, Davis allegedly threatened him and Henry would go missing two days before Davis’ arraignment.

February 13, 1984. Catonsville, Maryland. 39-year old teacher Oliver Munson leaves his home to drive to school, but never arrives. Oliver’s abandoned car is soon discovered a few blocks away and two weeks later, a stolen vehicle is found containing evidence which suggests that Oliver was murdered. One year earlier, Oliver had unknowingly purchased a stolen car from a career criminal named Dennis Watson. After Watson was arrested, Oliver was called upon to testify as a witness against him and his disappearance took place only three days before Watson’s trial.

This week, we will be presenting a special double feature episode of “The Trail Went Cold” about two unsolved missing persons cases where the victim vanished shortly before they were scheduled to testify in a criminal case."

Henry Louis Baltimore Jr. Went Missing In East Lansing Michigan in May 1973
NAT_9141_1.jpg

Missing
Last seen alive: May 31, 1973 at 16:38

Circumstances: Henry was scheduled to testify as the victim and witness of an armed robbery that took place in March 1973, but he vanished a few days before the hearing.

At the time of his disappearance, Henry was a social science and music honor student and the drum major for the Michigan State University Marching Band. His 1968 Buick was located on campus and all his belongings were in place.

A VICAP report has been submitted to the FBI and to the Michigan State Police.

First Name: Henry Louis
Middle Name: Louis
Last Name: Baltimore Jr.
Details
Age When Last Known Alive: 21
Race: Black/African Americ
Sex: Male
Height: 73.0 to
Weight: 170.0 to
State: Michigan
County: Ingham
Appearance
Hair: Black
Eye: Brown
Clothing and Accessories
Clothing: Black turtleneck sweater, light grey slacks
Footwear: Black and grey shoes
Transportation
Baltimore's vehicle was found on campus.

LINK:
Henry Louis Baltimore Jr. - Michigan Missing Person Directory

Drumline%2071-72%20online.jpg

1971-72 MSU Band Drum Line. Henry Baltimore is kneeling in front row, 3rd from left. Click on photo to enlarge.

Article about Henry's disappearance. He has been missing for almost 47 years now. Note that while it is always stated that Henry was robbed by TWO men, only Roy Davis is ever mentioned by name. Who was the other guy?

-----------------------------------
In 1973, 21-year-old Henry Baltimore Jr. had a very promising future. He was an honor student at the University of Michigan and a drum major in the school’s marching band. However, in March 1973, Henry’s future would be seriously compromised after he was attacked by two men in his apartment, who proceeded to tie him to a bed before stealing $110 and some items. Even though Henry was reluctant to report this incident to the police, he finally did so at his father’s urging.

A suspect named Roy Davis was soon arrested for participating in the attack and charged with armed robbery. Henry was scheduled to testify at Davis’s preliminary hearing but did not show up. He resurfaced two days later and asked police to drop the case against Davis because he was frightened. The cops refused, and Henry’s testimony was rescheduled.

On May 30, two days before Henry was set to testify at Davis’ arraignment, he mysteriously disappeared. According to his roommates, Henry had left his apartment to go to the library but never returned. In spite of the obvious suspicions about Davis, his mother provided him with an alibi during the time period Henry went missing, and no evidence was ever found to tie Davis to the disappearance. Because of Henry’s absence, prosecutors ultimately decided to offer Davis a deal to plead guilty to lesser charges, and he received a six-month sentence. Authorities initially suspected that Henry had gone into hiding to avoid testifying, but even after Davis went to jail, Henry did not resurface. He has not been seen for over 40 years.

LINK:
10 Witnesses Who Came To Tragic Ends - Listverse

I was looking at this UID as a possible. I no longer think it's him, but there is an unfortunate and somewhat comical typo in the clothing description.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

According to Charley Project, he had a large Afro when he disappeared so that could explain some height difference but I think this one is off by too much.

I am not sure, but I suspect the 2nd photo on Charley is the mug shot from right before he disappeared. If you zoom in, it looks like there are marks on his forehead that could be from his injuries.

Omg I LOVE this unidentified ha!! Does this guy even have his own thread on Here??? Omg if he does not.. he most certainly deserves his own thread!!! I want to find him now !

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imaguppynotashark
Back