MI MI - Julia Niswender, 23, EMU student, Ypsilanti, 10 Dec 2012 - #6

Interesting read - "The Case of the Vasectomized Rapist"
Amateur opinion and speculation
Questions I am pondering, and would like opinions please to help me think this through...

IIRC, the Perp in Julia's case was allegedly careful in not leaving fingerprint evidence to the point of wearing gloves; found at the scene. Some have suggested those gloves were "planted", but I refute that speculation since we know the gloves were left "twisted" implying they had been worn and twisted during removal.

I've never heard if skin cells or tiny hairs were obtained from the gloves; I'm assuming not. My speculation is that (a) while the Perp might have been at Julia's apartment for a length of time, he was eventually interrupted, and made a hasty exit, dropping the gloves or (b) He left the gloves intentionally as a taunt of sorts, not understanding the DNA value they potentially possessed

The gloves being left behind was mistake #1 (and I do believe it was a mistake)
Mistake #2 were the male fluids found on Julia's body; he didn't wear a condom. Who is dumb enough to wear gloves to protect their fingerprints, but then stupid enough to leave a genetic calling card like this? We have already learned something important about the Perp based on these samples (He has a vasectomy). Further sophisticated testing such as from Parabon Labs or Othram could tell us more.

Mistake #3 was when the Perp was likely still in Julia's apartment when one of her roomates came home for clothes. If this theory is correct, it would provide another window of time to firmly determine the whereabouts of potential suspects and further rule them in...or out.

Mistake #4, visibility. Someone saw this Perp; it just hasn't dawned on them....yet. The Perp didn't look out of place, was in plain sight. This was someone who looked normal walking around Peninsular Place. There was allegedly no forced entry. Julia either recognized them and let them in, or they looked "official" enough to let in. (e.g. someone in a uniform of some sort). Given this was late in the evening, I think it is more likely the former, vs. the latter.

Mistake #5, knowledge. This reduces the potential Perp pool significantly. The Perp had to know the schedule of Julia's roomates, that they would not be home. Let's think about that for a moment. Three co-eds living together with boyfriends and friends coming and going constantly. The window of opportunity to find Julia home alone was small, very small. THE PERP KNEW JULIA'S ROOMATES WOULD NOT BE HOME. The Perp was well prepared with his kill kit and gloves. His timing was prepared as well, with military precision.

Mistake #6, even more knowledge. Not only did the Perp know that Julia's roomates would be gone, but he had to know that occupants of the immediate units surrounding Julia's would be out as well, to avoid the detection of a struggle. If we consider who had knowledge of Julia's roomies being out, as well as the occupants of the immediately adjacent units, that further reduces the suspect pool.

Questions
1. Was there anyone at the apartments who kept a roster of when residents would be absent from their units? (Might be used to conduct repairs, etc. when vacated)
2. Were all uniformed personnel (at minimum), questioned, or poly'ed? This would include security guards, repair persons, landscapers, etc.
3. Were all employees who would have knowledge of resident schedules polygraphed?
4. Were any fresh tire tracks observed and recorded? (Was it snowing?) If so, any correlations to sedan, truck, etc?
5. Any fresh shoe prints observed and recorded outside, leading up to Julia's apartment, or inside the apartment? Any scuff marks inside the apartment that suggested workman's boots, etc.

My list could go on and on, and I hope the new detective will take a vigorous approach to reinvestigating Julia's case with fresh eyes. If we isolate my points that the suspect pool is greatly limited by knowledge of roommate and surrounding resident schedules...I think that's a great place to start.

Mistake #5, knowledge. This reduces the potential Perp pool significantly. The Perp had to know the schedule of Julia's roomates, that they would not be home. Let's think about that for a moment. Three co-eds living together with boyfriends and friends coming and going constantly. The window of opportunity to find Julia home alone was small, very small. THE PERP KNEW JULIA'S ROOMATES WOULD NOT BE HOME.
This is likely but not certain. He may have been a risk taker, or he may have been prepared to eliminate anyone who happened to show up.
Mistake #6, even more knowledge. Not only did the Perp know that Julia's roomates would be gone, but he had to know that occupants of the immediate units surrounding Julia's would be out as well, to avoid the detection of a struggle.
I would not go that far. College apartment complexes are loud places; people are used to noise and don't pay much attention. He could have turned up the radio to muffle any sounds or might simply have used a weapon or intimidation to control Julia and keep her quiet.

This is likely but not certain. He may have been a risk taker, or he may have been prepared to eliminate anyone who happened to show up.

I would not go that far. College apartment complexes are loud places; people are used to noise and don't pay much attention. He could have turned up the radio to muffle any sounds or might simply have used a weapon or intimidation to control Julia and keep her quiet.
All logical and solid responses; as likely as my speculations. What if, though, my speculations are accurate. Who, what type of person would fit that profile? I feel quite certain they possessed schedule information. The LE profile suggested someone highly organized, who took their time. They took their time because they knew they HAD the time.

The gloves being left behind was mistake #1 (and I do believe it was a mistake)
I also believe this was a mistake. The gloves also had DNA evidence (actually 2 sources). If not from the perp himself, it could be tied to someone related to the perp.
Mistake #2 were the male fluids found on Julia's body; he didn't wear a condom. Who is dumb enough to wear gloves to protect their fingerprints, but then stupid enough to leave a genetic calling card like this? We have already learned something important about the Perp based on these samples (He has a vasectomy).
The perp may not want to wear a condom. I think for this reason, Julia was left in the bathtub. The killer (unsuccessfully) wash off all biological evidence. In any case, still a mistake.

I don't think we can state as a fact that the perpetrator had a vasectomy. The affidavit said that it was "consistent with someone who had a vasectomy", so a person with a vasectomy cannot be excluded.
Mistake #4, visibility. Someone saw this Perp; it just hasn't dawned on them....yet. The Perp didn't look out of place, was in plain sight. This was someone who looked normal walking around Peninsular Place. There was allegedly no forced entry. Julia either recognized them and let them in, or they looked "official" enough to let in. (e.g. someone in a uniform of some sort). Given this was late in the evening, I think it is more likely the former, vs. the latter.
The perp may actually be able to give a legitimate reason why they were at Peninsular Place at that time. Perhaps
he lived there himself, or knows someone there. Unless he was actually seen going into the apartment, or was seen
behaving strangely (like the person in the deleted security camera video), it wasn't a mistake. Personally, I believe that the perp lived close or even at Peninsular Place.
Mistake #5, knowledge. This reduces the potential Perp pool significantly. The Perp had to know the schedule of Julia's roomates, that they would not be home. Let's think about that for a moment. Three co-eds living together with boyfriends and friends coming and going constantly. The window of opportunity to find Julia home alone was small, very small. THE PERP KNEW JULIA'S ROOMATES WOULD NOT BE HOME. The Perp was well prepared with his kill kit and gloves. His timing was prepared as well, with military precision.

Mistake #6, even more knowledge. Not only did the Perp know that Julia's roomates would be gone, but he had to know that occupants of the immediate units surrounding Julia's would be out as well, to avoid the detection of a struggle. If we consider who had knowledge of Julia's roomies being out, as well as the occupants of the immediately adjacent units, that further reduces the suspect pool.
The perp could have simply observed the apartment to know that there was likely only one person there at that time.
The apartment was on the ground floor and Julia's apartment was on the corner. This was at the end of the term and already people had left for the holidays.

Killers/rapists like in this case typically have psychopathic tendencies with a high tolerance for risk (in fact that may
even excite them). The perpetrator may not have known for sure that Julia was alone, and probably wasn't sure at all whether someone else could come in at any point. From observations, he may have been pretty sure that she was alone
and since it was very late at night/early in the morning it was likely that noone else would come in until morning.
(And yes it is possible that the perp was still in the apartment and surprised when the roommate came in the morning. )
Questions
1. Was there anyone at the apartments who kept a roster of when residents would be absent from their units? (Might be used to conduct repairs, etc. when vacated)
I doubt if there is any such person. If residents ask for repairs, appointments may be set up. But generally nobody would report their schedules to apartment employees.
2. Were all uniformed personnel (at minimum), questioned, or poly'ed? This would include security guards, repair persons, landscapers, etc.
I do believe some maintenance people and security guards were questioned. Not sure about polygraphs, but I doubt it.
4. Were any fresh tire tracks observed and recorded? (Was it snowing?) If so, any correlations to sedan, truck, etc?
I am pretty sure it was not snowing. The parking and roads have asphalt, so I don't think there would be any tire tracks. I also doubt that the perpetrator would park at Peninsular place (and I believe he did not come by car at all).
5. Any fresh shoe prints observed and recorded outside, leading up to Julia's apartment, or inside the apartment? Any scuff marks inside the apartment that suggested workman's boots, etc.
Not that I know of, but of course law enforcement doesn't share all what they have.
My list could go on and on, and I hope the new detective will take a vigorous approach to reinvestigating Julia's case with fresh eyes. If we isolate my points that the suspect pool is greatly limited by knowledge of roommate and surrounding resident schedules...I think that's a great place to start.

I am afraid that I come to a different conclusion, namely that the suspect pool is pretty large. Although there are some reasons to believe that Julia knew the perpetrator, we cannot be sure. Perhaps it was only an acquaintance or even a stranger. He may have gotten her to open the door using some ruse, or may have sneaked in while she was throwing away the garbage in the container. I believe though that the perpetrator was comfortable being at Peninsular Place without standing out in any way. The main mistake of the perp is to leave behind DNA evidence and the gloves.

I also believe this was a mistake. The gloves also had DNA evidence (actually 2 sources). If not from the perp himself, it could be tied to someone related to the perp.

The perp may not want to wear a condom. I think for this reason, Julia was left in the bathtub. The killer (unsuccessfully) wash off all biological evidence. In any case, still a mistake.

I don't think we can state as a fact that the perpetrator had a vasectomy. The affidavit said that it was "consistent with someone who had a vasectomy", so a person with a vasectomy cannot be excluded.

The perp may actually be able to give a legitimate reason why they were at Peninsular Place at that time. Perhaps
he lived there himself, or knows someone there. Unless he was actually seen going into the apartment, or was seen
behaving strangely (like the person in the deleted security camera video), it wasn't a mistake. Personally, I believe that the perp lived close or even at Peninsular Place.

The perp could have simply observed the apartment to know that there was likely only one person there at that time.
The apartment was on the ground floor and Julia's apartment was on the corner. This was at the end of the term and already people had left for the holidays.

Killers/rapists like in this case typically have psychopathic tendencies with a high tolerance for risk (in fact that may
even excite them). The perpetrator may not have known for sure that Julia was alone, and probably wasn't sure at all whether someone else could come in at any point. From observations, he may have been pretty sure that she was alone
and since it was very late at night/early in the morning it was likely that noone else would come in until morning.
(And yes it is possible that the perp was still in the apartment and surprised when the roommate came in the morning. )

I doubt if there is any such person. If residents ask for repairs, appointments may be set up. But generally nobody would report their schedules to apartment employees.

I do believe some maintenance people and security guards were questioned. Not sure about polygraphs, but I doubt it.

I am pretty sure it was not snowing. The parking and roads have asphalt, so I don't think there would be any tire tracks. I also doubt that the perpetrator would park at Peninsular place (and I believe he did not come by car at all).

Not that I know of, but of course law enforcement doesn't share all what they have.

I am afraid that I come to a different conclusion, namely that the suspect pool is pretty large. Although there are some reasons to believe that Julia knew the perpetrator, we cannot be sure. Perhaps it was only an acquaintance or even a stranger. He may have gotten her to open the door using some ruse, or may have sneaked in while she was throwing away the garbage in the container. I believe though that the perpetrator was comfortable being at Peninsular Place without standing out in any way. The main mistake of the perp is to leave behind DNA evidence and the gloves.
Your speculation that the Perp might have been closely attached to Peninsular Place, even lived there, certainly is logical. I would like to try and figure out who had direct line of sight to the apartment to set up surveillance.

I'm under the impression that Julia had to enter/exit through the main door to the unit in front vs. a back door exit from her unit? If true, this would narrow down the line of sight units, which is an interesting speculation to ponder.

In general, I think it's important to remember this Perp made mistakes, and ultimately they will be what convicts him. I am also convinced that due to the sadistic manner in which Julia passed, this wasn't the Perps first offense, and he has likely continued his acts of depravity. The silence from LE about Julia's case suggests they might consider it isolated. I absolutely do not. What was inflicted upon Julia was from the mind of a severely disturbed mind, that doesn't just "get well" and stop. They only stop when they are six feet under.

I agree with your post B. Squirrel; it's time to take a more studied look at Peninsular Place and it's past residents.

Your speculation that the Perp might have been closely attached to Peninsular Place, even lived there, certainly is logical. I would like to try and figure out who had direct line of sight to the apartment to set up surveillance.

I'm under the impression that Julia had to enter/exit through the main door to the unit in front vs. a back door exit from her unit? If true, this would narrow down the line of sight units, which is an interesting speculation to ponder.

In general, I think it's important to remember this Perp made mistakes, and ultimately they will be what convicts him. I am also convinced that due to the sadistic manner in which Julia passed, this wasn't the Perps first offense, and he has likely continued his acts of depravity. The silence from LE about Julia's case suggests they might consider it isolated. I absolutely do not. What was inflicted upon Julia was from the mind of a severely disturbed mind, that doesn't just "get well" and stop. They only stop when they are six feet under.

I agree with your post B. Squirrel; it's time to take a more studied look at Peninsular Place and it's past residents.

Just a fact for you, there was only one door to enter or exit the apartment. The person did take the front door key and the key to Julia's bedroom from her lanyard.

Just a fact for you, there was only one door to enter or exit the apartment. The person did take the front door key and the key to Julia's bedroom from her lanyard.
Thank you. I want to figure out which units had a direct line of sight to that front door…

Thank you. I want to figure out which units had a direct line of sight to that front door…
What I remember (I went there once) is that there is a throughway going from the outside of the apartment block
to the courtyard. In this throughway, there are stairs. The front door of the apartment is a bit in an alcove near or under the stairs. I think there was only one apartment that would have a direct line of sight to the front door, namely
the apartment exactly opposite. I believe Julia's apartment number was 120, but I am not sure. The other apartment would have been 119 or 121 perhaps, or 118 or 122, but again, I am not sure.

Since Julias apartment and room were on the outside of the apartment block, they could be observed from part of the parking lot or from where the dumpster was. A person who is outside the main office might be able to see it as long as they
are not standing too close to the building. I don't think the room/apartment can easily be observed (like in the movie rear window) from another apartment at Peninsular. There are not any other buildings nearby from which one could easily observe Julia's apartment. Such buildings would be on the other side of Huron River drive probably, at a large distance and the view would probably be obstructed. But with a telescope, maybe?

Here is a current picture of Julia's apartment. Her room would be on the left. In the archway you see the front door for the apartment opposite of Julia's I believe. Looking at the sign, above the archway, the ground floor apartments would be 118-120. I think it is just 118 and 120, but possibly there was an 119 as well. I believe Julia's apartment was 120. I think only 118 (and/or 119) had a view of the front door of Julia's apartment.

Peninsular2.png

Here is a current picture of Julia's apartment. Her room would be on the left. In the archway you see the front door for the apartment opposite of Julia's I believe. Looking at the sign, above the archway, the ground floor apartments would be 118-120. I think it is just 118 and 120, but possibly there was an 119 as well. I believe Julia's apartment was 120. I think only 118 (and/or 119) had a view of the front door of Julia's apartment.

View attachment 430118
Thank you, this is super helpful to see....and sad as well.
Spellbound (RIP), and I used to spend a lot of time wondering about the adjacent industrial buildings near by. I don't know if they are still there, but they were industrial looking, and we wondered whether some creeper in one of those businesses was using a telescope to observe the coeds. Anything is possible, but it would be more likely as you speculate...someone right there on the premises. Living, or working.

Thank you, this is super helpful to see....and sad as well.
Spellbound (RIP), and I used to spend a lot of time wondering about the adjacent industrial buildings near by. I don't know if they are still there, but they were industrial looking, and we wondered whether some creeper in one of those businesses was using a telescope to observe the coeds. Anything is possible, but it would be more likely as you speculate...someone right there on the premises. Living, or working.

I am not sure which industrial buildings you are looking at. There are some industrial buildings on the other side of the other Peninsular apartment block. But you cannot see Julia's apartment from there.

If you are standing near Julia's room using google street view for example, the only buildings you can see without to many obstructions are some of the EMU residence halls, Hoyt Hall, Hill Hall (where btw. Laura Dickinson was murdered in 2006) and Pitman Hall. These buildings are tall relative to the other buildings on and near campus. It is quite a distance, but with a telescope one would be able to observe from some of the dorm rooms there.

Last edited:
I am not sure which industrial buildings you are looking at. There are some industrial buildings on the other side of the other Peninsular apartment block. But you cannot see Julia's apartment from there.

If you are standing near Julia's room using google street view for example, the only buildings you can see without to many obstructions are some of the EMU residence halls, Hoyt Hall, Hill Hall (where btw. Laura Dickinson was murdered in 2006) and Pitman Hall. These buildings are tall relative to the other buildings on and near campus. It is quite a distance, but with a telescope one would be able to observe from some of the dorm rooms there.
Perhaps the buildings (warehouses) I am referring to no longer exist. They started at, were directly adjacent to Julia’s building separated by the parking lot. The train tracks were in front of them. I need to look back through the thread, because I remember Spellbound and I pressing on this possibility at length. Most of the businesses I’m referencing were associated with manufacturing something IIRC.

Perhaps the buildings (warehouses) I am referring to no longer exist. They started at, were directly adjacent to Julia’s building separated by the parking lot. The train tracks were in front of them. I need to look back through the thread, because I remember Spellbound and I pressing on this possibility at length. Most of the businesses I’m referencing were associated with manufacturing something IIRC.

Here's a view of the Peninsular Place..... Google Maps
Julia's apartment was in the building to the far left. Her apartment was on the front left of that building. I have been there many times and the warehouse or manufacturing buildings are not in view from her apartment.

Here's a view of the Peninsular Place..... Google Maps
Julia's apartment was in the building to the far left. Her apartment was on the front left of that building. I have been there many times and the warehouse or manufacturing buildings are not in view from her apartment.
Thank you, very helpful. It would seem that Julia was observed from either another apartment within view, from the parking lot, or from someone hiding and lurking on the property. B Squirrel seems to be closest on the speculation here. I think we need to keep thinking about the surveillance post; where were they stalking from?

The only detective listed on the Ypsilanti Police site is Scott Donley. He was in the Class of 2019 that graduated from the Washtenaw Community College Police Academy. He was hired by Ypsilanti on 10/1/2019. Not sure exactly when he was made a detective.

I don't remember if I already posted this here, but besides the Laura Dickinson murder in 2006, there was also another murder in Ypsilanti that was similar to the Julia Niswender case.

Lindsay Ann Graygo (29) was found dead in her apartment (Lake Shore Apartments in Ypsilanti) on February 19, 2008. There was no sign of forced entry. Her partially clothed body was found face down in a bath tub filled with 4-6 inches of water. She was raped and the killer had wrapped something around her neck and strangled her. Several items, such as a purse with keys, a phone and pieces of clothing were missing. She was probably killed the day before, Feb. 18.

Derrick Lajuan Oliver (31) was arrested and convicted. There were several pieces of evidence. His DNA was found under the fingernails of the right hand. DNA from semen was less precise but Oliver could not be excluded as the source. Oliver with his girlfriend and the girlfriend's son in an apartment below Graygo's. Oliver and his girlfriend were having relationship problems. Oliver left a business card (later found by police) at Graygo's apartment on which he wrote that he is interested in her and wanted Graygo to call him. Initially he stated to police that he had intercourse with Graygo 1 or 2 days before the murder, but later retracted it.

Given the similarities, could there be a connection between Julia's case and Lindsay's case? Clearly, Oliver was in prison when Julia was murdered. Is there any chance that there is a person, other than Oliver, that was responsible for both murders? The case against Oliver seems pretty solid and was held up in appeal. The main arguments of the defense are:

DNA from Graygo's right hand matched Oliver, but DNA from the left hand did not! The technician that processed the DNA from the left-hand (that didn't match Oliver) was more experienced than the technician that processed the DNA from the left-hand.

The DNA from the semen isn't precise and could also come from other sources than Oliver.

The defense points a finder at Cody Watkins, Graygo's personal trainer. Police had initially been investigating Watkins. Graygo was interested in pursuing a romantic relationship with Watkins, but he declined. There were 27 text messages between Watkins and Graygo on Feb 17, but neither texted during the late morning of Feb 18 when police believe Graygo was killed. The alibi of Watkins is not clear. Initially police thought he did have opportunity. The defense made an issue about Watkins not being called as a witness in the trial. A car similar to Watkins' car had been photographed early afternoon at the apartment complex on the day of the murder. However, Watkins' DNA was not consistent with the semen DNA or the DNA from the hands.

The defense claimed that Oliver wasn't strong enough to move the body of Graygo (about 180 lbs) into the bath tub, but Watkins (super tall and strong) could have.

Overall, I think the case against Oliver is solid, but I think there is still a small chance someone else could be responsible for murders of both Lindsay and Julia. The case relies a lot on the DNA evidence, but I don't have the details of the expert testimony on this. The info above comes mostly from the Ann Arbor news/mlive.com articles.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deluhg01
Back