GUILTY MI - Kevin Bacon, 25, met someone online, Swartz Creek, 24 Dec 2019 *Arrest* #2

The plea came against the recommendation of Latunski’s attorney, Mary Chartier, who had indicated that she was interested in using an insanity defense at trial.

“While this is not an outcome that (defense attorney) Mr. Krause and I think is in Mr. Latunski’s best interest, we do have to follow Mr. Latunski’s wishes,” Chartier said in court. “We have discussed this matter and consistently he’s been very clear, more than once, multiple times, on his choice and on his reasoning.”

What’s next

Latunski is still due to appear in court at least a few more times.

In October, he will have a review hearing before Shiawassee County Circuit Judge Matthew J. Stewart in which the judge will determine whether Latunski is convicted of first- or second-degree murder or manslaughter.

The upcoming hearing, which works similarly to a mini bench trial, will include witnesses and evidence put forth by both the county prosecutor and Latunski’s defense counsel.

Once a decision has been reached in that hearing, Latunski will be scheduled for sentencing.

Mlive has consistently provided good coverage in Kevin's case. Much more at link, if you have the stomach to read it.

I'm thankful this horrific nightmare is coming to an end for Kevin's parents.

Well, I’m glad he eventually did the right thing in the end. It’s just pointless and heartless to keep this going and further hurt Kevin’s loved ones and, quite frankly, his own loved ones who are undoubtedly also suffering.

First-degree murder carries a mandatory sentence of life in prison. The next hearing is Dec. 15.

Latunski attorney Mary Chartier pushed for a lesser charge.

“Unfortunately, Mr. Latunski made a number of comments during his interrogation that the court listed in its ruling, as well as actions that he had taken before,” she said, according to WNEM. “While we tried to explain those and put those in context, the court agreed with the government on this matter and found first degree murder,”

Kevin’s father Karl Bacon welcomed Stewart’s decision.

“It’s been a long road, and I’m glad we’re almost to the end of it,” he told the outlet. “We have one more hearing to go and I think hopefully then we can put this matter to rest.”

Latunski is expected to get life in prison for the crime, but formal sentencing is set for Dec. 15.

MLive this week released a new four-part “Michigan Crime Stories” podcast series named “Christmas Eve Cannibal,” which further explores the case of 25-year-old Kevin Bacon, a Swartz Creek man who was murdered and cannibalized after meeting a man on a hookup app for sex.

The series explores the death, court case and how mental illness transformed Mark D. Latunski, a successful chemist, from a gentle family man with a wife and four children into a convicted murderer and cannibal.

The series includes an interview with Latunski’s ex-wife, Emily Latunski, 47, who has never before spoken with media about the case.

Emily Latunski shares her experience watching helplessly as her former husband struggled with mental health issues that caused severe ongoing delusions and paranoia, ripping apart the family and causing his children ongoing pain.

“This is not who their dad was,” Emily Latunski said. “He absolutely loved them.

“The person he was then would be horrified at the person he is now.”

So kind of crazy. I’m on vacation and heard about this case via a couple that we met. He was the undercover cop who found Kevin’s body hanging in the hidden room . So naturally I looked to see if websleuths had a thread. Crazy crazy story and very interesting to hear of a first hand account of what happened.

So kind of crazy. I’m on vacation and heard about this case via a couple that we met. He was the undercover cop who found Kevin’s body hanging in the hidden room . So naturally I looked to see if websleuths had a thread. Crazy crazy story and very interesting to hear of a first hand account of what happened.
Do you want to share some of the account you heard?

I have compassion for EL and the kids, but not sure I can feel the same for her ex-husband.

Do you want to share some of the account you heard?

I have compassion for EL and the kids, but not sure I can feel the same for her ex-husband.
Just that he’s had run ins with him before. Basically when they got to his house for the call they asked if he would mind if they took a look inside. He paused for a second and then “sure” with his head cocked a bit. One cop went upstairs with him. The undercover that I met stayed downstairs with another cop and was just kind of looking around. He said everything seemed normal. Then he started running his hands along the walls when he came across a wall that seemed warm. He thought it was odd. So he alerted his partner and when he pushed it the wall popped open. He said it led to a room where he had to step up and in. In that room is where they found KB hanging with his throat slit and his testicles removed. . But I had never heard the story before so it was nuts. He said they are trying to do a documentary about it but he can’t participate because he’s under cover a lot so he’d blow his cover. I can’t remember if he said he’d do it with his face blurred out and/or voice changed though. But there is something coming out about it.

Just that he’s had run ins with him before. Basically when they got to his house for the call they asked if he would mind if they took a look inside. He paused for a second and then “sure” with his head cocked a bit. One cop went upstairs with him. The undercover that I met stayed downstairs with another cop and was just kind of looking around. He said everything seemed normal. Then he started running his hands along the walls when he came across a wall that seemed warm. He thought it was odd. So he alerted his partner and when he pushed it the wall popped open. He said it led to a room where he had to step up and in. In that room is where they found KB hanging with his throat slit and his testicles removed. . But I had never heard the story before so it was nuts. He said they are trying to do a documentary about it but he can’t participate because he’s under cover a lot so he’d blow his cover. I can’t remember if he said he’d do it with his face blurred out and/or voice changed though. But there is something coming out about it.
That's horrific.

Thank you for sharing, that must have been a very surreal encounter for you.

I'm not very happy at the thought of a documentary on this case, simply because I think it's going to be painful for Kevin's family to have that out there. The details of this case were beyond horrific. Unless the family agreed and it was done in a non-sensational format-I think it's wrong, JMO.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidreeft
Back