MI MI - Patricia Spencer, 16, & Pamela Hobley, 15, Oscoda, 31 Oct 1969

[video=youtube;Zy-piJylFws]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy-piJylFws[/video]

Well, it was Halloween, Homecoming and a Friday night so I can imagine the girls going to some party that may have been a little on the shady side. I would suppose they could have overdosed and been disposed of in a cover-up. Either way, virtually no chance that either of them is still alive.

Well, it was Halloween, Homecoming and a Friday night so I can imagine the girls going to some party that may have been a little on the shady side. I would suppose they could have overdosed and been disposed of in a cover-up. Either way, virtually no chance that either of them is still alive.

It seems unlikely that both of them would overdose, though. It could be that one of them od'd & the other was murdered in order to keep her from talking, but I think it's at least as likely that it was a sexually-motivated double murder, possibly perpetrated by someone who was intoxicated or hopped up on drugs. They also may have been invited to a non-existent party as a ruse.

It seems unlikely that both of them would overdose, though. It could be that one of them od'd & the other was murdered in order to keep her from talking, but I think it's at least as likely that it was a sexually-motivated double murder, possibly perpetrated by someone who was intoxicated or hopped up on drugs. They also may have been invited to a non-existent party as a ruse.

My first thought was that they were looking to score. So, who was the high school supplier at the time? Someone must know. I'd start with him/her and his/her older brothers. JMO. I think they died that night, sadly.

Sorry, I re-read the entire thread and it seems there was a drug connection but not sure which girl was described and which was the source of this info:

Drugs were common in Oscoda, and some of the friends that they kept were definitely known as belonging to a bad crowd.

The girls were not angels, but had managed to stay out of trouble for the most part. A couple of months earlier one of the girls was found hallucinating out in the woods by a bus driver. A guy from the base was charged with a crime (I would have to look up the exact charge. I am not sure if he slipped her something or if it was furnishing to a minor).

Also the sister of Pamela seemed to believe her sister was murdered by someone who, perhaps raped her and it seems she had someone specific in mind:

LOCAL NEWS
6A - Oscoda Press, Oscoda, Mi., Wednesday, July 13, 2011

by Holly Nelson
OSCODA – Pamela “Pam” Sue Hobley, 15, and Patricia “Patty” Ann Spencer, 16, disappeared, apparently without a trace, almost 42 years ago on Oct. 31, 1969.
[…] Her sister, Mary Hobley Buehrle of Osseo, said she and her other two sisters believe the answers are in the Oscoda area, locked in the memory of whomever killed the girls.
[…]
Buehrle said she hopes the girls did not suffer and that the person or persons who snuffed out their young lives have experienced consequences. “We do pray he has cried once in a while for what we believe he did. We pray his guilt is a blanket that has dampened every good moment in his life. We pray the tapestry of his life has always had the thread of guilt and shame woven intricately through it,” she said. “He knows what happened and so do the people who were there with him. We know he covered it up. We know he has succeeded for 42 years to keep the secret buried. “What was it? Someone got pregnant? Someone got mad? Someone could not cope with the reality of statutory rape?” Buehrle asks some of the questions, some spawned by rumors, that daily plague her. “Please find the courage and strength to give peace and closure to the families your actions ripped from our lives 42 years ago,” Buehrle said in a public appeal to the murderer or murderers.

This case seems pretty solvable to me. If the killer was a local, someone must know something or have a strong hunch. The fact that the bodies have never been found suggests that the killer could be connected to the girls.

mtrooper said:
A couple of months earlier one of the girls was found hallucinating out in the woods by a bus driver. A guy from the base was charged with a crime (I would have to look up the exact charge. I am not sure if he slipped her something or if it was furnishing to a minor.
My money is on the guy who was charged being the one who killed the girls. We need to find out whether the case was dropped because of the girls' disappearance.

Does anyone know which girl was found hallucinating in the woods?

My money is on the guy who was charged being the one who killed the girls. We need to find out whether the case was dropped because of the girls' disappearance.

Does anyone know which girl was found hallucinating in the woods?

Interesting that post #61 suggests that a boyfriend was going into or was in the military...

From post

I was just talking with my aunt from MI today, and she brought up this story. She was in school (same class) with these girls. According to her, they were friends and she forged a note for them to get out of school early. According to her, they were going to party before meeting up with Pam's boyfriend... supposedly he was going to propose? He was going into the military or was in the military.

I will say IMO, I was shocked to find this story on WS when she started talking about it.

Interesting that post #61 suggests that a boyfriend was going into or was in the military...

I was just talking with my aunt from MI today, and she brought up this story. She was in school (same class) with these girls. According to her, they were friends and she forged a note for them to get out of school early. According to her, they were going to party before meeting up with Pam's boyfriend... supposedly he was going to propose? He was going into the military or was in the military.
To recapitulate what others have stated or suggested:
1) If there was talk about a soldier proposing to Pam Hobley, it may have been because she was pregnant.
2) A pregnant 15-year-old is proof of statutory rape.
3) The proposal may have been an attempt to avoid charges in hopes that the crime would be overlooked if a marriage was planned.
4) The person may have decided that getting rid of the evidence was a more convenient solution. In that case, Pam would have been the intended murder victim and Patricia would have been killed because she was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
5) If the solution is really that simple, the police must have identified the perp but must be hamstrung because the bodies could not be found.

The 47th anniversary of this disappearance is just two days away.
There have been comments to the effect that LE knows who killed the girls but doesn't have enough evidence. It is high time that they give the evidence they have to a grand jury. The suspect won't live forever—even if he was only 18 in '69, he must be about 65 now—so the time left for any possible justice is running out. (If he's already dead, LE should share that information with the public.)

I wonder if Robert Bowman might have been involved in the girls' disappearance. He lived in Toledo, Ohio at the time. In 1967 he abducted Eileen Adams and held her prisoner in his basement until he murdered her and dumped her body in Michigan near US 23, south of Ypsilanti.

He was not caught until relatively recently.
He was married, and his wife had some awareness of his activities. She eventually told police what she knew; I don't believe that she mentioned any victims besides Eileen Adams.
I think it's extremely likely that the girls were murdered by the soldier who was involved with Pam Hobley (and who may have gotten her pregnant). However, I agree that all other possibilities should be considered.

He was married, and his wife had some awareness of his activities. She eventually told police what she knew; I don't believe that she mentioned any victims besides Eileen Adams.
I think it's extremely likely that the girls were murdered by the soldier who was involved with Pam Hobley (and who may have gotten her pregnant). However, I agree that all other possibilities should be considered.

They ran into the wrong person for sure whether drugs, serial k“ller or the BF

Just found this site. In searching, I found this thread. I travel to the Oscoda area frequently, and never heard of this case before. In reading the thread, Never found what I would consider to be a thorough victimology. We have two young white females. Both would appear to be in good health based upon their age, height and weight (difficult to control). Hobley was a known abuser of alcohol and drugs, Spencer was known to wear a peace sign. At that time, a peace sign could have multiple implications related to the Vietnam war, but it could also be a sign of following a certain life style. There are some references that indicate that at least Hobley was promiscuous. These factors would most likely put both in high risk lifestyles. It sounds like they spent quite some time together the day they went missing. I would not be suprised to learn that they were really much better friends than what has been reported. Would like to see a more thorough victimology if there are any former friends or relatives here.

The fact that the two girls were healthy young women would make this difficult for a lone perpetrator, though not impossible. A lone perpetrator would have difficulty controlling them unless there were extenuating circumstances such has getting them intoxicated or was a trust worthy friend/acquaintance of one or boh of them. Even then, I would think that there would have been multiple offenders. One to drive and one to control Hobley and Spencer.

Considerable planning went into this. The disappearance occurred just two weeks before the start of Michigan's firearm deer season. If these girls were dumped in the woods, I would think that hunters would have found them. During the late 60s, early 70s, that area would have been a very popular with hunters. Leading to the conclusion that the offender(s) did not want them to be found and went to great length to hide the bodies. Obviously, burial is one possibility, but another possibility could be that they were weighted and dumped into one of the many lakes or even into Lake Huron.

No one reports seeing either victim after they were dropped off downtown. The bodies have never been found. This would lead me to believe that at least one of the offenders was an organized offender. This person went to great length to hide the crime. I would not be suprized to learn that this person had some personal relationship to one or perhaps both of the girls. This person would most likely have tried interjecting himself into the crime at one point. If still alive, he most likely continues to follow the investigation. Would not be surprised to learn he kept a scrapbook.

If there were multiple offenders, why has there never been closure. Criminal groups have difficulty keeping secrets. Either through bragging, fear or intoxication one of them usually opens their mouth in front of the wrong person. Unless that person came to an early end as well. Be interested to know if within five years of the crime if their were any suicides in the area, disappearances or other untimely deaths (or of people who may have been in the area at the time of the disappearances, as personnel at the air base would have been quite transient at the time).

I'd also be interested to know if either girl kept a diary. Quite common in those days. Were the diaries found and reviewed?

The perpetrator's vehicle had to be large enough to comfortably fit at least 4 people and whatever equipment was used to dispose of the victims without drawing attention. A large sedan or possibly a van. Be interested to know what kind of car the boyfriends of the girls drove. Probably well kept.

Just my thoughts.

Just found this site. In searching, I found this thread. I travel to the Oscoda area frequently, and never heard of this case before. In reading the thread, Never found what I would consider to be a thorough victimology. We have two young white females. Both would appear to be in good health based upon their age, height and weight (difficult to control). Hobley was a known abuser of alcohol and drugs, Spencer was known to wear a peace sign. At that time, a peace sign could have multiple implications related to the Vietnam war, but it could also be a sign of following a certain life style. There are some references that indicate that at least Hobley was promiscuous. These factors would most likely put both in high risk lifestyles. It sounds like they spent quite some time together the day they went missing. I would not be suprised to learn that they were really much better friends than what has been reported. Would like to see a more thorough victimology if there are any former friends or relatives here.

The fact that the two girls were healthy young women would make this difficult for a lone perpetrator, though not impossible. A lone perpetrator would have difficulty controlling them unless there were extenuating circumstances such has getting them intoxicated or was a trust worthy friend/acquaintance of one or boh of them. Even then, I would think that there would have been multiple offenders. One to drive and one to control Hobley and Spencer.

Considerable planning went into this. The disappearance occurred just two weeks before the start of Michigan's firearm deer season. If these girls were dumped in the woods, I would think that hunters would have found them. During the late 60s, early 70s, that area would have been a very popular with hunters. Leading to the conclusion that the offender(s) did not want them to be found and went to great length to hide the bodies. Obviously, burial is one possibility, but another possibility could be that they were weighted and dumped into one of the many lakes or even into Lake Huron.

No one reports seeing either victim after they were dropped off downtown. The bodies have never been found. This would lead me to believe that at least one of the offenders was an organized offender. This person went to great length to hide the crime. I would not be suprized to learn that this person had some personal relationship to one or perhaps both of the girls. This person would most likely have tried interjecting himself into the crime at one point. If still alive, he most likely continues to follow the investigation. Would not be surprised to learn he kept a scrapbook.

If there were multiple offenders, why has there never been closure. Criminal groups have difficulty keeping secrets. Either through bragging, fear or intoxication one of them usually opens their mouth in front of the wrong person. Unless that person came to an early end as well. Be interested to know if within five years of the crime if their were any suicides in the area, disappearances or other untimely deaths (or of people who may have been in the area at the time of the disappearances, as personnel at the air base would have been quite transient at the time).

I'd also be interested to know if either girl kept a diary. Quite common in those days. Were the diaries found and reviewed?

The perpetrator's vehicle had to be large enough to comfortably fit at least 4 people and whatever equipment was used to dispose of the victims without drawing attention. A large sedan or possibly a van. Be interested to know what kind of car the boyfriends of the girls drove. Probably well kept.

Just my thoughts.

Welcome to Ws ZZZZZZZ, thanks for the informative and interesting post!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clueliz
Back