MI - Two children killed when drunk driver crashes into birthday party - April 21, 2024

Monroe — A 66-year-old former commodore of a Monroe County boat club was charged Tuesday with driving drunk and killing two children and injuring 13 others when she allegedly plowed her car into the club as a birthday party was happening.

Chidester was arraigned Tuesday in Monroe's 1st District Court. Chidester limped into the courtroom Tuesday with her right arm in a splint.

Multiple relatives of the two siblings who died accused Chidester of choosing to drink. Bond was set at $1.5 million...

Her attorney is alleging she has had seizures since November an is on Medication: if true, and I don't know if it is true, would a doctor give her permission to drive? I wouldn't think she would be allowed to drive: a newly diagnosed seizure patient and on meds to control the seizures. The medical records in this case will be important. Also, if in fact she was on seizure meds, I would think she would have been advised not to drink alcohol.

What a disgusting criminal!

Those who drink and drive should be treated as murderers.
Anybody choosing to sit behind a wheel while intoxicated is a potential murderer IMO.

She is old enough to know the consequences of consuming alcohol and driving.
What a fool!!!!!!

Aaargh :mad:

RIP to innocent children.
Condolences to family.

What a senseless tragedy :(

Last edited:
Have they mentioned exactly what her breathalyzer alcohol level was?
I'll have to do some searching, but I read at least two reports indicating .29. That was way more than one glass of wine with a bowl of chili at 11:00AM.

ETA: Weekend reports indicated the level of intoxication, but recent articles say that suspect's blood alcohol level was significantly above the legal limit.

..."Your honor, there was no indication whatsoever in any of the evidence that we have uncovered in this case that the defendant suffered from a seizure at this time of this incident," Yorkey said. "In fact, quite the opposite. A very long investigation has occurred. There was a preliminary breath test done, which indicated that her blood alcohol level was significantly over the legal limit."...

...He said a “very long investigation,” including a breath test, indicated she was significantly over the legal limit. He did not say what her blood alcohol content was, but said she admitted to drinking...

Last edited:
Last edited:
I watched the arraignment and the defense lawyer said the search warrant showed Verna's Tavern served her one glass of wine. I wonder where else she was drinking? And of course if she were that drunk Verna's should have denied service anyways. I suggest watching the arrangement in full. It is full of info but also quite sad to hear family speak. Also, a staff member of the boat club spoke as well. MOO.

If the reports of a .29 blood alcohol level are correct, that's extreme drunkenness. About seven drinks in one hour for a 120-pound woman.

25-29 BAC Severe impairment of mental, physical, sensory functions; risk of serious injury. Likely to pass out.
Her attorney claims that she had only one glass of wine with a bowl of chili at 11:00AM, four hours prior to the incident. Where did go after she left that tavern at noon? Seems she was drinking elsewhere, but that information hasn't come out yet. If she was really diagnosed with a seizure disorder and is on multiple medications, she should not have been consuming alcohol! Her lawyer is going to try to pass this off as a medical emergency, but it was mentioned during arraignment that the suspect has a history of alcohol and substance abuse. Evidently, MC has been walked out of the Swan Boat Club due to being overly intoxicated. Her attorney said that breathalyzer tests at the scene are often inaccurate but results from blood test are not back yet.

Last edited:
Her attorney claims that she had only one glass of wine with a bowl of chili at 11:00AM, four hours prior to the incident.

Some people have a knack for selling almost anything to the naive.
Like selling the Brooklyn Bridge for instance :rolleyes:

One glass of wine, sure.
"Tell me more,
Tell me more..."

JMO

Last edited:
Some people have a knack for selling almost anything to the naive.
Like selling the Brooklyn Bridge for instance :rolleyes:

One glass of wine, sure.
"Tell me more,
Tell me more..."

JMO
MC's attorney says that he has the receipt that shows she had a glass of wine and a bowl of chili between 11:00 and noon when she left Verna's Tavern. Fine. Where did go after that to get drunk enough to plow into the boat club, kill two children, and injure many others? "Tell me more" is right.

MC's attorney says that he has the receipt that shows she had a glass of wine and a bowl of chili between 11:00 and noon when she left Verna's Tavern.

So he should check how many bottles are allegedly hidden in the wrecked car.

Just my suggestion for free :rolleyes:

Sorry,
I have no patience nor mercy for drunk drivers.

JMO

BERLIN TOWNSHIP, Mich. – “We were supposed to be planning a birthday party, not a funeral.”

That was the message from a family member who spoke during the arraignment for a Monroe woman who’s accused of killing two children and injuring at least 10 others by crashing into a building during a birthday party.

Marshella Marie Chidester, 66, of Monroe, was in court Tuesday, April 23, 2024, on eight charges, including two counts of second-degree murder...

Thanks for the link.

From the link above:

2 children dead.

"Here is a list of the people injured and their conditions, as of 2:30 p.m. on Monday, April 22:

• 31-year-old woman, critical condition.
  • 11-year-old boy, critical condition.
  • 18-year-old woman, serious condition.
  • 16-year-old girl, serious condition.
  • 14-year-old boy, serious condition.
  • 70-year-old woman, minor injuries.
  • 66-year-old woman, minor injuries.
  • 62-year-old woman, minor injuries.
  • 57-year-old woman, minor injuries.
  • 42-year-old man, minor injuries."

:(
This story is so sad and so senseless; it just stays with me: children and parents enjoying a birthday party when a vehicle comes flying thru the building landing 26 feet inside the building. The absolute shock and horror is just beyond words. 2 children gone in the blink of an eye. I am tending to find the defense attorney not credible and the prosecution, based on statements so far, to be more credible. I tend to believe she was drunk---I saw the video of how fast her vehicle was going when it struck the building. The way I feel right now, there is a special place in h---for her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbifedora
Back