Missing Georgia hiker--Meredith Emerson, 24 #4

Have no clue, but I would imagine they are older vehicles...

News reports have stated that the main vehicle he was driving was a 2001 Astro Van. I found it odd that he would have such a "new" vehicle. If you were to buy a 2001 astro van now going by a NADA price guide you would pay $5,0000 to $6000 depending on condition. I wonder where he came up with the money for that.

I received this via email from a non-member and received permission to post it:

> Related to Meredith Emerson case and Gary Michael Hilton
> (please forgive me if any of this is redundant, but I haven't seen > specific postings about these items)
>
> 1. For people who don't live in/near Atlanta, it may help to know > that there is a large V.A. hospital located on Clairmont Rd in > Decatur GA (suburb of Atlanta) and on same street as GMH lived in > Tabor's house while working for siding company (at 4169 Clairmont > Rd.). This is most likely where he got his "medications" (Tabor > referenced him taking large doses of Ritalin (wonder why?)?in last > year and that GMH said he needed to stay on his medications as when > he stopped taking them the "demons came back"? (sounds much more > serious than A.D.D.)- He probably also has been seeing some > physicians or psychiatrists there, and may be on disability (receive > checks from Social Security or military which could help track him > by address they've been sent to)
>
> 2. Other "Veteran"/ Military thoughts - Is the land where Emerson's > body was found really former military/Lockheed property? (seem to > have heard that it was area for testing nuclear powered aircraft or > something) Ifso, could be way that he knew the land so well (said in > police officer videocam that he had camped there 20 yrs ago and had > maps of it) - Could have gotten to know this land when/if he was in > the military. Also, besides references to post by?"star gazing" > father/son having bad encounter with him near Rome, GA small airport > last year (or year before) - important to remember that small > Peachtree Dekalb Airport is also on Clairmont just a couple blocks > from where he lived at 4169 Clairmont. Does he hang out here, do > paratrooping, skydiving, talk to workers there?
>
> 3. Also, my chiropractor's office is right near 4169 Clairmont and > have heard from a woman in the neighborhood that GMH tried to get > her to help him when she was walking her dog) - He pretended to be > BLIND - makes sense, he probably used that expandable baton and made > it look like a blind person's cane. She almost was tricked into > believing him, but later saw him DRIVING his white van. Could he > have tried to trick other people like elderly hikers in NC by > pretending to be blind?
>
> 4. Interesting in police officer's videocam (from when officer was > telling him to leave the private camping/hunting area) - that GMH > randomly?starts telling a story about?"3 months ago" having a > "run-in" (hard to hear in some parts) with the law in Dekalb County > (says I live in Chamblee, city of) - and that someone called the law > on him due to him "walking in circles" with his dog - He also > mentions that Dekalb North showed up and that he "knows the officers > there" - and something about "I had Multiple Sclerosis at the time" > - He also mentions something about his backpacks and his "red pack" > - or wearing that pack - have a big one (backpack?). Seems his dog > was in the van as referencing/sort of pointing toward the van is > when he brings up the whole story about someone calling the law when > he was walking his dog.
>
> 5. HEADLAMP???? The guy who called 911 while seeing GMH at Chevron > on Ashford Dunwoody cleaning out his van (one who stayed on phone > the longest with 911) says GMH was wearing a headlamp (like > spelunkers/cavers use). Obviously lots of hikers wear headlamps, but > seems like one of those ATM pictures, or some other picture of GMH, > also shows him wearing this headlamp. Other women reporting > problems with GMH in the past at Murphy Candler park, etc. talk > about him wearing a headlamp. Does anyone else remember pictures of > him wearing a headlamp? Perhaps he forgot to take it off other > times and may appear in pictures, such as at ATMs, wearing a > headlamp (which could help tie him to certain places, along with > the beanie cap, big glasses, and yellow jacket)
>
> Hope this gets to the right people and can help tie together more > pieces of this terrible puzzle.
> Thanks - I'll try again to join your Websleuths group when server > issues are better.
>

News reports have stated that the main vehicle he was driving was a 2001 Astro Van. I found it odd that he would have such a "new" vehicle. If you were to buy a 2001 astro van now going by a NADA price guide you would pay $5,0000 to $6000 depending on condition. I wonder where he came up with the money for that.

Could it be possible that he is a veteran and collecting some form of check from the government?

Reason I wondered is that I found a lady missing in GA that drove a 1989 Astro Van. I wonder what the other van's make and year were.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/e/earl_jasmine.html

Information regarding sexual assault has not been released yet.

My personal theory is that he kept his (recent) victims alive either long enough to ensure that the pin number they gave him was correct (since I believe he couldn't withdraw money from Meredith's account, my theory is that she was giving him the wrong number) or if the daily withdrawls were successful, the police would think the missing person was not really abducted and would not search for them. Because he couldn't access Meredith's account, this resulted in his urgently needing the money from his former girlfriend and/or Tabor.

My theory is that these recent abductions were for money, or at a minimum, he realized he could also profit from what he was already going to do.

Thank you, felder. Your theories make sense - I was thinking along those lines as well because it seems like money was what he was after.

Could it be possible that he is a veteran and collecting some form of check from the government?

Its very possible, but it certainly rules out the motive of money then. In my opinion its more likely that it was bought with cash he got from his crimes....unless its not really his van.

I would hope one of the first things LE did was run the VINS's on his vans and crosscheck them against any vans reported stolen, or missing from unsolved murders.

Do you really think it was money he was after initially? I mean how much money would a college student have in the bank? Most of the collegekids I know are constantly asking there parents for money, I remember when our kids did the same, they never had money.

Maybe it was all about power over the victims and the money was just an extra. man what a sicko!

Below is a comment from Steve's site, Truecrimeweblog.com, regarding BMH receiving benefits. No confirmation though, that GMG was receiving benefits:
http://www.haloscan.com/comments/truecrimeweblog/8599761278446789725/

SSI benefits were $623 mo (last year).

If Hilton was receiving VA & SSI, his total mo income could've been over $1000.

That's alot of $$ for someone who is not paying rent assuming he had no car pymts.

Plus the VA has free medical care (no dental). There is a co-pay for Rx depending on income & assets.
01.13.08 - 5:47 pm

North Carolina, Florida Investigators To Interview Hilton

ATLANTA -- Channel 2 has learned investigators from Florida and North Carolina are meeting in Georgia, preparing to question Gary Michael Hilton about murders in their states. Those investigators are asking for a chance to sit down face-to-face with Hilton. Channel 2 has also learned new information about the evidence police are using to build a case against Hilton in the murder of two North Carolina hikers.

<snipped>

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/15048377/detail.html

Dixie, thanks for the links. From that article:
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/15048377/detail.html

Two of the 911 callers who helped capture Hilton eventually called in a tag to dispatchers. Both said it was from North Carolina. Sources there confirm it was stolen off a broken down van in Transylvania County

The sheriff in North Carolina tells Channel 2 he is very interested in the bags and boxes of evidence found in the gas station dumpsters in and around Hilton&#8217;s van to see if it links back to the Bryant case.

Link found from a comment at Truecrimeweblog:
http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080114/NEWS01/801140319/-1/RSS18

A DeKalb County police report on a 2004 incident indicates a violent past for Gary Michael Hilton, 61, the man who was arrested in connection with the death of a Georgia hiker and who has been named a prime suspect in the killing of Crawfordville resident Cheryl Dunlap. This is what happened, according to the report: (more at link)

Thanks for the post Jeana,

Very interesting and insightful. I never gave the blind ruse a thought. Seems plausible now given the expandable baton/walking stick.

Link found from a comment at Truecrimeweblog:
http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080114/NEWS01/801140319/-1/RSS18

A DeKalb County police report on a 2004 incident indicates a violent past for Gary Michael Hilton, 61, the man who was arrested in connection with the death of a Georgia hiker and who has been named a prime suspect in the killing of Crawfordville resident Cheryl Dunlap. This is what happened, according to the report: (more at link)

Why would someone press charges over seeing someone beat a dog, but refuse to press charges for someone trying to run over his wife?

http://www.wlos.com/newsroom/nc/topstory/topstory1.shtml

(snip)
Sheriff David Mahoney tells us the tag was stolen from a broken down car. He thinks Hilton may have used it to fool authorities.
"It's my understanding that the North Carolina registration plate was valid and certainly one could argue that that one was used to throw law enforcement in another direction instead of Mister Hilton," said Sheriff Mahoney.
The owner of the car, Andrea Steinhable, did not know the tag was missing at the time and faces no charges. Hilton is a suspect in the Bryant case and at least two other unsolved murders.

Why would someone press charges over seeing someone beat a dog, but refuse to press charges for someone trying to run over his wife?

So much on Hilton liking dogs.:eek: Beats me why he didn't..:waitasec:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sweetkittykat
Back