Mistrial, Hung Jury - Raven Abaroa Murder in the 1st

Hello fellow NC peeps. Nice to see you all again. I haven't followed the Aboroa case closely, just little bits here 'n there. I was sorry to see the jury couldn't make a unanimous decision, but with an 11/1 split for guilt it does make sense for the state to go forward.

I got sucked into following the Jodi Arias case (waves hi to TigerBalm).

Naturally I'm curious if Brad Cooper will get a new trial--the appellate arguments were lackluster from the state, IMO. We shall see within the next few months I suppose. Can you all believe it's been 2 years since that trial ended? And over a year for slayer Young.

JusttheFax alerted me that Becky H and Boz Z. were teamed up together for the Grant Hayes trial. Now that's an interesting pairing. I watched the Michael Peterson Dateline special (another case I didn't follow closely at the time).

Hello fellow NC peeps. Nice to see you all again. I haven't followed the Aboroa case closely, just little bits here 'n there. I was sorry to see the jury couldn't make a unanimous decision, but with an 11/1 split for guilt it does make sense for the state to go forward.

Naturally I'm curious if Brad Cooper will get a new trial--the appellate arguments were lackluster from the state, IMO. We shall see within the next few months I suppose. Can you all believe it's been 2 years since that trial ended? And over a year for slayer Young.

JusttheFax alerted me that Becky H and Boz Z. were teamed up together for the Grant Hayes trial. Now that's an interesting pairing. I watched the Michael Peterson Dateline special (another case I didn't follow closely at the time).

So nice to see you 74!! I almost got sucked into the Jodi A. trial but forced myself not to, so I only followed it on the nightly news.
Yes, time is flying and it seems almost impossible that it's been 2 years since the Cooper trial. I know there are many people who still think he is innocent, perhaps so, I only want justice. He was not a likeable person, Jason Young was even more so. Glad he was finally found guilty--that first trial, hung jury, was hard on all of us.
I am waiting for the Haze/Hayes trial to start--it will be very interesting. Especially now since Grant and Amanda have apparently turned on one another. Hope to see you here for that one.
I saw the Michael Peterson special on Dateline last night and it left me sick. He's such a scum, and probably will not be retried due to his age. He really looks quite awful, his deeds and lifestyle seem to show all over his face.
Stay in touch!!

:seeya: back at ya, Madeleine

If a mod happens to come by, can you please change the thread title to reflect the mistrial, hung jury 11-1 in favor of guilty.

:gthanks:

I too stayed pretty much clear of the Arias trial. Didn't watch any of the trial, just saw clips on tv shows or the news. Just couldn't get into it, too much overload. She was obviously guilty and was obviously not an abused woman, so what else was there, so to speak. Good to see you again Maddie. So Grant Hayes appears to be next on the docket. :)

I too stayed pretty much clear of the Arias trial. Didn't watch any of the trial, just saw clips on tv shows or the news. Just couldn't get into it, too much overload. She was obviously guilty and was obviously not an abused woman, so what else was there, so to speak. Good to see you again Maddie. So Grant Hayes appears to be next on the docket. :)

I was thinking along the same lines as you Glee. She had already admitted to killing JA, there was no mystery involved, and no Perry Mason moments on the horizon, so I didn't want to get invested. I really think they should have avoided a trial altogether and just gone straight into a penalty phase, with a jury, and be done with it. Those jurors who hung the penalty phase have me baffled, she should have been put on death row immediately in my opinion, and I don't know how they held out.

I think, given the type of controlling personality RA has been portrayed to have, that LWOP is a worse fate than DP.

depends on the prison environment. sociopaths love to manipulate and have people to talk to and do what they are best at. Raven would be miserable on DR in this state. In another state...could be different.

I believe BH's post was in response to Jackleg. I honestly admire this family for their dedication to seeking Justice for Janet. This family doesn't want an innocent man in jail, they weren't looking for just anyone to take the fall, they are sad that the decision one man made took away their loved one, and that Kaiden lost their mother and father.

It's sad that Raven and some of his family members seemed to have so little regard for the loss of Janet, it's always about them. They would not have had the same regard for Janet though if the roles were reversed.

I thought it was quite tacky using Kaiden to try to sway the jurors. Raven being a "good dad" doesn't mean he shouldn't be punished for his wife's murder. A "good dad" doesn't kill a child's mother though.

I believe Raven would do it all over again if he had the chance. Luckily, Vanessa got out in time.
It was the same thing with Scott Peterson. Very little is talked about with them with justice for Laci...it was all about Scott. On the innocence page that is run by them there is a little blurp about Laci but mostly it's about the injustice they feel they have suffered. Narcissism to the extreme. And in this case, the JY case, and SP's case, the apple never fell far from the tree with regards to sociopathy and narcissism. Amazing how much they all have in common.

It was the same thing with Scott Peterson. Very little is talked about with them with justice for Laci...it was all about Scott. On the innocence page that is run by them there is a little blurp about Laci but mostly it's about the injustice they feel they have suffered. Narcissism to the extreme. And in this case, the JY case, and SP's case, the apple never fell far from the tree with regards to sociopathy and narcissism. Amazing how much they all have in common.

I remember when Nancy Grace was hosting the Larry King show one night after Laci disappeared, Scott's father called in and blasted Nancy Grace for even suggesting that Scott was involved. I knew right then the boy was guilty, just based on his father's behavior. Absolutely true about the apple and the tree in the Scott Peterson case, couldn't stand either of his parents and saw so easily, early on, that enabled him from the time he was a toddler. They do, all of them, have a lot in common.

I remember when Nancy Grace was hosting the Larry King show one night after Laci disappeared, Scott's father called in and blasted Nancy Grace for even suggesting that Scott was involved. I knew right then the boy was guilty, just based on his father's behavior. Absolutely true about the apple and the tree in the Scott Peterson case, couldn't stand either of his parents and saw so easily, early on, that enabled him from the time he was a toddler. They do, all of them, have a lot in common.

I never thought of being a sociopath as something that is inherited, but I truly believe that in the case of Raven Abaroa, his mother handed it down.

Even though the news spliced and diced and edited the mistrial coverage, you can still see that Karen's reaction, NOT TO THE VERDICT...but to the request from Charlene Coggins-Franks September date for a retrial was the F bomb.

The apple doesn't fall too far from the cart, at all, imo.

I never thought of being a sociopath as something that is inherited, but I truly believe that in the case of Raven Abaroa, his mother handed it down.

Even though the news spliced and diced and edited the mistrial coverage, you can still see that Karen's reaction, NOT TO THE VERDICT...but to the request from Charlene Coggins-Franks September date for a retrial was the F bomb.

The apple doesn't fall too far from the cart, at all, imo.

Can't say it always happens but yes...I can see it in this case...along with the type of parenting and neglect to create personality disorders in kids.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Well I see my last post fell off the board. Here and I thought I was being pretty nice. That's cool though.

Took a mini stay-cation in my garden and am feeling much better. What an emotional day Friday was. As long as Mr. Abaroa stays in jail until the next trial, I'm good. I still have faith. I still have personal feelings about the Abaora camp, but snarking on Karyn's appearance was out of line on my part and feel kinda bad for going there.

I can not be angry at the lone juror that held their ground. If I were in that same situation and I had very strong feelings against the decision of the rest of the group, I hope that I would have the guts to stand fast. I pray that what ever thoughts were going through that person's mind were for the right reasons and not the "CSI" effect or a personal agenda. I agree with those who said that the PT seemed a little weak in the beginning but Charlene did bring it home with a very good closing. Hopefully we'll see that kind of passion and clarity in entire trial in the fall. I still feel like Donna Jackson rocked that witness stand. Professional and personable. I'd like to buy that woman lunch and discuss other cases that she has worked over her career. Maybe if I buckle down and start living on Mac 'n Cheese and water for rest of the summer I can afford attend the next trial myself in September.

See you all later. I'll be hanging around some of the other cases until September so I hope to see you all around the boards.

Please let me add one more thing....

I'm extremely proud to be a member of WS. There is no place on the WWW like these forums and I have made some truly strong and lasting friendships here. Congratulations to Tricia for the tight ship that she runs. Our mods put up with a heck of a lot here and I know that I wouldn't want their jobs for anything. Cheers, to you all.

LL&S, Tyndall has a trial in September, so I'm pretty much thinking it will be pushed off until the end of the year or following spring.

What really upsets me the most regarding the mistrial is that Mrs. Christiansen has put off surgery for Cancer for the October and the April trial dates. I heard she didn't want to have to go through all the treatments and wanted to be healthy enough to deal with the trial.

It makes me so sad and also frustrated with the emotional and physical toll Janet's family & friends have had to go through. Can you imagine having cancer and having to attend a trial regarding your murdered daughter's trial and being treated with so little disrespect by people representing the defendant's family and all the disrespect shown to her by questioning the closeness of the victim's mother and Janet by the defense?

I was thinking about all this today. The 11/1 decision for guilty. I wonder if Raven might work out some sort of deal through his lawyers to plead guilty to a lesser charge. He has quite a bit of 'time served' already, with hopefully, more to come. Don't get me wrong, I think he deserves to get LWOP. But it's extremely hard on Janet's family. Were it me, I'd throw a custody agreement into that mix, of course.

Hi, folks. L L & S, I echo your thoughts about WS being such a haven for folks like us -- those seeking justice for victims who can no longer speak for themselves and for their family and friends and all the rest. And I, too, salute our mods who have lots & lots to do.

I spent a lot of time on Arias, and I don't think I have ever seen a faster-moving forum than that -- even CA, and it was loaded-down with prolly a record number of members & guests day & night. The mods were so busy closing/opening threads, dealing with the load of traffic, etc., etc. Anyway we all survived it, and maybe the last phase of that (sentencing) won't be too, too bad, or perhaps not at all if there is a plea deal.

Anyway, I second your praise of this site and its member-friends, and the mods.

And I pray for Janet's mother, especially, oh my, and the entire family. Oh, my heart breaks.

And one more thang:

When the jury vote of 11/1 was announced & we saw RA getting a bit teary, I kept wondering did he think it was 11 votes for NG? Is that why he got so teary (if those tears were real...). Is that what this ~man~ was thinking?
I felt that it was.
icon8.gif
Grrrrrrr.

I am thinking it was because he thought it was 11-1 not guilty myself. I know that Karen didn't realize it was 11-1 Guilty and I wonder if she had a big vacation planned for September or something.

I get that Raven is her son. If he was my son I would be upset, sad, devastated but I would also have been devastated that my daughter in law was murdered. I would be upset that my son was a cheater, an embezzler and I would be hurt and disappointed in him. She always has anger. It's her anger that caused Raven to be the way he is I believe. I believe that Karyn is a sociopath and I still, for the life of me, can't understand why Jim puts up with her and I wouldn't want Raven back in my home.

He's a murderer whether or not he's found guilty and I bet there are some sighs of a relief in Utah that he didn't get to come home. I don't know if he'll end up being found guilty with a new set of jurors, but if he's not, the world will definitely be a scarier place.

Mornin WSers. Did anyone happen to catch the start time on Thursday? With Trix's info about Tyndall, I won't hold my breath for a quick retrial, but I sure wish it could be soon for the sake of Janet's loved ones.
Here they are tossed back in the air, but with the first trial under their belt, they have good reason to be very hopeful for a just outcome next time next time.

PS - been listening to the Cooper trial. It's similar in SO many aspects. Another CE, common sense case.

LL&S, Tyndall has a trial in September, so I'm pretty much thinking it will be pushed off until the end of the year or following spring.

What really upsets me the most regarding the mistrial is that Mrs. Christiansen has put off surgery for Cancer for the October and the April trial dates. I heard she didn't want to have to go through all the treatments and wanted to be healthy enough to deal with the trial.

It makes me so sad and also frustrated with the emotional and physical toll Janet's family & friends have had to go through. Can you imagine having cancer and having to attend a trial regarding your murdered daughter's trial and being treated with so little disrespect by people representing the defendant's family and all the disrespect shown to her by questioning the closeness of the victim's mother and Janet by the defense?

Oh dear Lord, I didn't know Mrs. Christiansen was battling cancer. I was already feeling such a deep sorrow for what she is going through, adding cancer to this makes it so much worse. My prayers will continue for her, now to include her health.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaarqueiro
Back