Location Last Seen: Minnetonka, Hennepin County, Minnesota

Date of Birth: February 9, 1947
Race: White
Height: 5'8-5'10"
Weight: 175-185 lbs
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Blue
Nickname/Alias: Bird, Chris

Distinguishing Marks/Features: Receding hair line, hair just above shoulder length; Beard; Eyes sometimes looked green; scar below right elbow; In a car accident in 1964 resulting in a fracture in his growth bone of left shoulder, foreshortening his left arm, serious left leg fracture resulting in leg being 3/8 of an inch shorter. Subsequent diagnosis of scoliosis

Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Available

Clothing: Jeans and flannel shirt
Jewelry: Ying Yang necklace
Additional Personal Items: Backpack

Details of Disappearance

Thomson was last seen standing by Highway 7 and Williston Road in Minnetoka, Minnesota on July 1, 1979. He was carrying a backpack, but had no other belongings with him. Later that year, he is known to have worked for very brief periods; his last known employers were Lewmont Drilling Associates in Denver, Colorado and Maverick Construction in Casper, Wyoming. There's no record of the exact dates of his employment, and there's been no sign of him since 1979.

Thomson worked as a writer and journalist and lived in various European countries prior to his disappearance. He wrote a book called In the Shining Mountains: A Would-be Mountain Man in Search of Wilderness; it was published the same year he went missing. The book is about a man who seeks to live like an old-fashioned mountain man, but finds his dream intruded upon by modern society. Thomson's loved ones believe he may have simply wanted to drop out of society and live off the land like the character in his book.

Texas authorities are assisting with Thomson's investigation.

Investigating Agency

Minnetonka Police Department 952-939-8500
Texas Department of Public Safety 800-346-3243

Source Information

David has 77 unidentified person exclusions listed on his NamUs... I will eventually get those posted here :D

David has 77 unidentified person exclusions listed on his NamUs... I will eventually get those posted here :D
Thanks for starting a thread for David, have come across his pic many times over the years and something about him always seemed special (and of course handsome)!

Thanks for starting a thread for David, have come across his pic many times over the years and something about him always seemed special (and of course handsome)!
Of course! His case is very unique... I was surprised he didn’t have a thread yet and I hadn’t seen him before. Definitely seems like a special guy! Hopefully he did go on to lead a very happy life.

Of course! His case is very unique... I was surprised he didn’t have a thread yet and I hadn’t seen him before. Definitely seems like a special guy! Hopefully he did go on to lead a very happy life.
Interesting post. I have lived in the twin cities for the last 22 years and I had never heard of this case. I can't help help but think that he went off to live in the wilds himself and maybe perished. So frustrating when people seem to drop off the face of the earth.

minor update. A DNA sample was sent to Toronto to see if an unidentified person from there was a match, and it was ruled out 1/27/21

Updating TX Missing Person Clearinghouse link:

Bit of biography from the In The Shining Mountains site:

“Dave was born in 1947 and grew up in Minnesota. After college he worked as a writer and journalist, ending up in Colorado and Montana in the mid-1970’s. Shortly before “In the Shining Mountains” was published in 1979, he disappeared and has been missing ever since.”

MN BCA doesn’t have a listing.

You can check out his book with a free account at the Internet Archive:

A review of it from the LA Times:

The_Los_Angeles_Times_Sun__Sep_16__1979_.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members