Found Deceased MN - Gerald Knapp, 86, has dementia, drove away from Askov, Pine County, dest unk, car found, 28 Jan 2024

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
418804981_684325843865487_4329957102410026148_n.jpg

****Missing Person*****

On February 1, 2024 the Pine County Sheriff’s Office took a missing report of Gerald Knapp DOB 07/16/1937 age 86. Gerald was last seen on January 28, 2024 at approximately 10am leaving Askov MN Southbound on County Road 142 also known as Beaver Tail Road.

Gerald was driving a 2020 red Ford Escape MN plate FVP429.

Gerald suffers from Dementia and his destination was unknown.

The Pine County Sheriff’s Office has gathered data to believe that Gerald could be in North Eastern Pine County or South Western Douglas County. Please call the Pine County Sheriff’s Office at 320-629-8380 ref case # 2400309.

UPDATE

Gerald's vehicle was located in the NE part of our county. Anyone who has property or trail cameras in that area are asked to check their property and/or trail cameras.

418804981_684325843865487_4329957102410026148_n.jpg

****Missing Person*****

On February 1, 2024 the Pine County Sheriff’s Office took a missing report of Gerald Knapp DOB 07/16/1937 age 86. Gerald was last seen on January 28, 2024 at approximately 10am leaving Askov MN Southbound on County Road 142 also known as Beaver Tail Road.

Gerald was driving a 2020 red Ford Escape MN plate FVP429.

Gerald suffers from Dementia and his destination was unknown.

The Pine County Sheriff’s Office has gathered data to believe that Gerald could be in North Eastern Pine County or South Western Douglas County. Please call the Pine County Sheriff’s Office at 320-629-8380 ref case # 2400309.

UPDATE

Gerald's vehicle was located in the NE part of our county. Anyone who has property or trail cameras in that area are asked to check their property and/or trail cameras.

Found your post while searching for updates on this case. Small town and he wasnt reported missing until Thursday 4 days after last siting . Sheriffs department stated search was not open to public when I called Friday. Rumor is they didn't want more lost while searching Nemadji state forest. Appreciate you posting this as there is not much for updates and this is very sad. Things that have been said locally is his vehicle was found on Gandy dancer road by black lake blog off Nemadji state forest. Black Lake Bog SNA
Also heard his jacket was found away from vehicle.
Hope for family's sake they have been given more updates than what is public.
Again thank you for putting this up!

FEB 17

“My dad was seen driving out of town in his vehicle, and we think he was going up to get lunch at the diner which they did almost every day.”

Gerald was reported missing four days later after the diner noticed their regular hadn’t come by in a while.

His wife, who also lives with dementia was still at home.

More at Family sends out search party in Wisconsin for missing Askov man

PINE COUNTY, MN. (Northern News Now) - The Pine County Sheriff’s Office has called off the search for 86-year-old Gerald Knapp after his remains were found Tuesday morning.

According to the Sheriff’s Office, Knapp’s remains were found while following up on drone search images in the Nemadji State Forest.
:confused:

Bakke, a retired police officer, runs a small business operating drones.

He offered his services for free to help search for Gerald Knapp.

“So I just reached out to the sheriff and say hey, I have this technology. I don’t know if you’ve used this or have access to it but I’m available,” Bakke said.

Bakke captured thousands of photos on his drones and ran the images through a special software. More than 50 of those photos were flagged as having signs of Gerald’s blue and red jacket. On number 51, Bakke found a match.

“At that point, I reached out to Pine County Sheriff’s Office,” he said. “They confirmed what I was seeing and they took it from there.”

After weeks of searching, Knapp’s family said they could finally begin to heal thanks to a stranger.

“He drove two and a half hours here not knowing any of us to just help,” O’Connor said. “In an hour and a half, he found my dad.”

Sad, and yet you have to wonder why doctors don't have the duty to report dementia diagnoses to the state DMV.

I don't expect the family to know how to legally do this. They aren’t doctors or driving evaluators.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smoore9861
Back