MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the February 22, 1984 Paynesville Press.

A Paynesville insurance agent offered "crime assistance" policies, including financial protection against the kidnapping of a child. Creepy.

Some businessman found a sickening way to capitalize on the Lindbergh's tragedy which made national headlines and is still of interest.

“The kids are going to be hurt by the cuts. The whole issue of who is teaching the music class, in the end, the kids have lost no matter what I turn out to be,” Rassier said."

In 2010, Dan appears to be unable to deny that he was involved. The subconscious mind can often let the truth slip right out.

What I find unsettling is that if DR truly did have anything to do with Jacob's disappearance, that he continued to live next to the Wetterlings all this time...knowing what he did.

Until we have actual proof that DR did it, we will still need to entertain ideas of other perps or accomplices. I personally think he didn't actually do the kidnapping but knows, associates with or has info on who did do it and is pretending he is smarter than the police and is playing a game. I wish we knew what LE knows.

The 2010 WS threads state that Dan told others that LE looked in his trunk and there were boxes in it. Is he denying this now?

From Joy's blog, he claims that police searched his trunk and boxes while he was at work.

Day to day, there seems to be a significant amount of opinionated mis-information posted here, by a couple of people in particular who have posted literally thousands of comments on this web site in the past few years. These particular posters also like to attack any comments that do not reflect their own theories. They are constantly suspicious and paranoid of others on this web site, their comments often border on bullying, and they do little to further the exploration of the Wetterling case. Mostly, they are seeking attention for themselves as they rotate from one missing person thread to another on a daily basis.

Warrantless searches of the inside of motor vehicles have been legal in the USA for decades. The motor vehicle exception is a legal rule in America which allows the search of a motor vehicle without the search warrant normally required by the Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution, and this exception was first established by the United States Supreme Court in 1925. If police have probable cause to search a car, they need not get a search warrant first.

Next, kidnap and ransom insurance is quite common in America – there is nothing creepy or bizarre about it. For a price, insurers will offer coverage against reasonably forseeable risks of any kind – it is simply a matter of business.

In a highly emotional case like a long-term child abduction, some people tend to believe what they want or need to believe. The emotion of these cases causes some people to develop their own theories about the abduction and they refuse to change them even when the evidence indicates otherwise. Be aware of this tendency in yourself, and in others. Be wary of it. Disengage your emotions for the sake of the child who is still missing.

Day to day, there seems to be a significant amount of opinionated mis-information posted here, by a couple of people in particular who have posted literally thousands of comments on this web site in the past few years. These particular posters also like to attack any comments that do not reflect their own theories. They are constantly suspicious and paranoid of others on this web site, their comments often border on bullying, and they do little to further the exploration of the Wetterling case. Mostly, they are seeking attention for themselves as they rotate from one missing person thread to another on a daily basis.

Warrantless searches of the inside of motor vehicles have been legal in the USA for decades. The motor vehicle exception is a legal rule in America which allows the search of a motor vehicle without the search warrant normally required by the Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution, and this exception was first established by the United States Supreme Court in 1925. If police have probable cause to search a car, they need not get a search warrant first.

Next, kidnap and ransom insurance is quite common in America – there is nothing creepy or bizarre about it. For a price, insurers will offer coverage against reasonably forseeable risks of any kind – it is simply a matter of business.

In a highly emotional case like a long-term child abduction, some people tend to believe what they want or need to believe. The emotion of these cases causes some people to develop their own theories about the abduction and they refuse to change them even when the evidence indicates otherwise. Be aware of this tendency in yourself, and in others. Be wary of it. Disengage your emotions for the sake of the child who is still missing.

Your best post ever! (by any monniker). Agree with you 1000% on your comments about bullying, etc. It's unnecessary, juvenile, and adds nothing to this forum or it's followers.

I still think kidnapping insurance is creepy, just my opinion only. Not sure how common it is, maybe lots of people have it and don't talk about it.

What are you referring to regarding warrantless searches of cars?

KSTP.com has learned investigators did recover clothing articles and animal bones in the dirt and ash taken from the farm. Some of those items were sent to the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension lab for testing.
Sources tell KSTP.com, investigators removed several items from the farm, including a lawn chair, the base of a patio umbrella stand and a cedar chest. The items had been stored in an area above a four stall garage on the Rassier property.
We have also learned investigators seized a box from Daniel Rassier’s bedroom containing news clippings and articles about the Jacob Wetterling abduction. That box also contained part of Rassier’s journal.
Sources have confirmed to KSTP.com, during this summer’s two-day search, investigators did not have a search warrant for the farm house, but rather just for the outbuildings and property. However, during that first day of the search investigators found enough evidence to go back to a judge and get a warrant for the farm house itself.

<modsnip>
http://www.immelman.us/news/wetterling-suspect-dan-rassier/

I can&#8217;t think of a single non-frightening reason why cadaver dogs would alert on the base of an umbrella stand and a cedar chest from Dan Rasser&#8217;s garage attic. The highly-trained cadaver dogs, flown in from another state, didn&#8217;t alert on animal blood. They are trained to identify human cadaverine. The cadaver dogs alerted on the chair, umbrella stand, and trunk or LE sprayed every single item the Rassiers owned with luminol. The Rassiers have many barns, garages, and a house with a basement and attic (many objects must stored there), so it&#8217;s extremely likely the cadaver dogs hit on those objects than the likelihood that every item on the Rassier&#8217;s huge property was sprayed with luminol. This means that the source for the blood on those objects was a human.

The article from KSTP reported that only part of Dan&#8217;s journal was found. What was written on the missing pages of the journal if Dan kept his notes on an abducted boy whose mother he refused to meet for twenty years?

Was the fire department contacted to put out Dan&#8217;s outbuildings&#8217; fire or did Dan just stand there and watch them burn to the ground?

Next, kidnap and ransom insurance is quite common in America &#8211; there is nothing creepy or bizarre about it. For a price, insurers will offer coverage against reasonably forseeable risks of any kind &#8211; it is simply a matter of business.

The motor vehicle exception was first established by the United States Supreme Court in 1925, in Carroll v. United States. The motor vehicle exception allows an officer to search a vehicle without a search warrant as long as he or she has probable cause to believe that evidence or contraband is located in the vehicle.
Motor vehicle exception - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This explains why Dan's car was opened and boxes were seen by LE , but Dan didn't allow LE to search in his house for FIVE days (search warrant had to be obtained for his house).

It appeared to some people that Dan was a good citizen and cooperated freely with the search for Jacob by opening his car, but now we all know better. Thanks for the info., Mossad.

Snipped...

Your best post ever! (by any monniker). Agree with you 1000% on your comments about bullying, etc. It's unnecessary, juvenile, and adds nothing to this forum or it's followers.

Interesting that this is being addressed. I have recently been posting about another missing person and can definitely use the word, "snarky" to address some of the comments.

snarky definition from MW: snappish, impertinent, irreverent

The purpose of WS is to discuss and give an opinion. It is not to have posters snap at you as though you are stupid.

Thank you for your thoughts. It's good to know not all posters are snarky.

The motor vehicle exception was first established by the United States Supreme Court in 1925, in Carroll v. United States. The motor vehicle exception allows an officer to search a vehicle without a search warrant as long as he or she has probable cause to believe that evidence or contraband is located in the vehicle.
Motor vehicle exception - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This explains why Dan's car was opened and boxes were seen by LE , but Dan didn't allow LE to search in his house for FIVE days (search warrant had to be obtained for his house).

It appeared to some people that Dan was a good citizen and cooperated freely with the search for Jacob by opening his car, but now we all know better. Thanks for the info., Mossad.

I don't think it's correct that DR did not ALLOW LE to search his house for 5 days. If I recall correctly, LE just never got around to it until then, because they originally thought Jacob had been taken out of state in a car. And they were also busy with searches. The sheriff has said in hindsight they should have searched the home that night, but at the time they did not suspect any of the Wetterling's neighbors. (At least that's the way I recall it. I can look for links to back that up if needed.)

I don't think it's correct that DR did not ALLOW LE to search his house for 5 days. If I recall correctly, LE just never got around to it until then, because they originally thought Jacob had been taken out of state in a car. And they were also busy with searches. The sheriff has said in hindsight they should have searched the home that night, but at the time they did not suspect any of the Wetterling's neighbors. (At least that's the way I recall it. I can look for links to back that up if needed.)

Yes that's right. The investigators went to his work, questioned DR, and checked out his car (not sure how thoroughly). They didn't search the Rassier farm until Saturday. Dan was gone, investigators spent three hours in his bedroom if I remember correctly.

Yes that's right. The investigators went to his work, questioned DR, and checked out his car (not sure how thoroughly). They didn't search the Rassier farm until Saturday, without a warrant. Dan was gone, investigators spent three hours in his bedroom if I remember correctly.
bbm
Please provide a link where it says that LE searched his home without a warrant.

It seems very odd that LE would go to Dan's work (went specifically looking for him) the following day, requested to look in his car, but were not interested in searching his home at the same time. If Dan didn't require a search warrant the first time his home was searched, why did LE need a search warrant in 2010?

bbm
Please provide a link where it says that LE searched his home without a warrant.

It seems very odd that LE would go to Dan's work (went specifically looking for him) the following day, requested to look in his car, but were not interested in searching his home at the same time.

It does seem odd. I wonder if it was because the FBI and local LE were overlapping each other, or not sure who was doing what? Sheriff Sanner has freely admitted they messed up the investigation right at the beginning.

bbm

It seems very odd that LE would go to Dan's work (went specifically looking for him) the following day, requested to look in his car, but were not interested in searching his home at the same time. If Dan didn't require a search warrant the first time his home was searched, why did LE need a search warrant in 2010?

I can't, so I retracted my statement. Below is text from Joy's blog. This, of course, is based on Dan's story:

<modsnip>

I'm going to lock this thread so I can review it. I'll open a new one when I'm done.

Suggested reading while you wait:

10% Copyright Rule
Please only copy no more than 10% of an article and do not forget the link!

Posts that copy more than that will be edited and posts with no link will be removed entirely.

If you copy an image or picture from another site, please provide a link to the original source or the picture will be removed.

Be courteous to the work of others.
Thank you.
Rules, Etiquette & Information

Social Networks

Regarding Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, and other social networking or blog websites: Links may be used to direct posters to view something on a social networking page. But postings on social networking sites are not considered fact; they are rumor. Copying and pasting, or taking screen caps, directly from these pages is not allowed. Paraphrasing is okay. (Exception: If the Twitter or Facebook post belongs to a verified news station, it may be copied. But a link should still be provided.)
Abuse / Flaming / Derogatory Comments:

Abusive Comments, Flaming, or derogatory insults or comments are strictly against the rules. If you disagree with another member&#8217;s point of view, do so in a mature and civil manner. If someone posts to discuss their personal problems or seeks help from other forums members, please do not respond unless you have something positive or helpful to add. If you find yourself being flamed or insulted by another member, please do not dignify that person with a response. Notify a moderator and let us handle it.
Sex Offenders

It is illegal to use the sex offender registry information to harass anyone. We would never condone that at Websleuths. However, it is okay if, when a child goes missing or is harmed, we look at the sex offenders in the area and post their information, along with maps to show how close they live to the victim. Never even hint at harassing anyone on the sex offenders list. Any posting here about a sex offender should always be within the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodhaven1