MN MN - Vickie Arleen Sundgaard, 23, Alexandria, 19 Apr 1987

i think that there is way more to this than people have thought. i really want to know his alibi as well. read alooooooooot on this case and i just cant let it rest.

I'm with you! Can't find much as we near the 40 year anniversary of Vickie's disappearance. I am interested to know what she was wearing as I have found a sight to dig.

This case keeps popping into the back of my mind. I’m from the Alex area and feel like something was either missed or ignored. It just bothers me…

Were the kids raised by her husbands parents or hers?

This case keeps popping into the back of my mind. I’m from the Alex area and feel like something was either missed or ignored. It just bothers me…

Were the kids raised by her husbands parents or hers?

I knew the boys growing up (went to private school with them) and from what I remember, they were her parents. I'm not 100% sure tho - let me find out & I will post update

This case bothers me a lot.

I grew up in the area and I was a child when this occurred I don’t recall hearing anything. I also don’t recall hearing about it as a teen.

My experience in the area is a lot of people knew a lot of peoples business. This subject being more or less being shut down while unsolved is out of the ordinary to me.

When Jody went missing we discussed it, clearly Jacob was a huge deal. Why not Vicki?

I was the same age as Jacob when he was kidnapped & I remember vividly the attention brought to his disappearance. I was 9 when Vicky disappeared and only heard about it through people who knew the family, then once her boys started going to my school.

I was born & raised in Alexandria. I grew up extremely privileged, on par with the same advantages as the Wetterlings. (who lived about 45 minutes from Alex.) I met the Sungaard boys at a parochial school, after they were living with their grandparents full time.

As someone who knew the Wetterlings (thru friends) and the Sungaards (thru Vicki's boys & parents), I believe Vicki's disappearance did not receive the same attention as Jacob's for a few reasons:

1) age - Vicki was 23, Jacob was 11 - as we know, cases involving minors are reported on more by mainstream media
2) circumstances - Vicki was last seen with people she knew, while Jacob was abducted/kidnapped by a stranger
3) socioeconomics - as unfortunate as it is, cases involving individuals who came from fewer economic resources rarely garnish the same attention as those coming from wealthier backgrounds. It disgusts me that this dichotomy exists but it would be foolish to dismiss this reality. The Wetterlings were (still very much are) financially in a completely different "class" than the Sungaards.
4) investigative agencies - from what I understand, no one outside of the Alexandria Police Dept & the Douglas County Sheriff's Office, has investigated Vicky's disappearance (besides, perhaps privately-funded organizations or private individuals). Wetterling's disappearance as a minor, with witnesses to a stranger-abduction, received immediate assistance from the FBI, as well as other State of MN resources.

IMO

Last edited:
I was the same age as Jacob when he was kidnapped & I remember vividly the attention brought to his disappearance. I was 9 when Vicky disappeared and only heard about it through people who knew the family, then once her boys started going to my school.

I was born & raised in Alexandria. I grew up extremely privileged, on par with the same advantages as the Wetterlings. (who lived about 45 minutes from Alex.) I met the Sungaard boys at a parochial school, after they were living with their grandparents full time.

As someone who knew the Wetterlings (thru friends) and the Sungaards (thru Vicki's boys & parents), I believe Vicki's disappearance did not receive the same attention as Jacob's for a few reasons:

1) age - Vicki was 23, Jacob was 11 - as we know, cases involving minors are reported on more by mainstream media
2) circumstances - Vicki was last seen with people she knew, while Jacob was abducted/kidnapped by a stranger
3) socioeconomics - as unfortunate as it is, cases involving individuals who came from fewer economic resources rarely garnish the same attention as those coming from wealthier backgrounds. It disgusts me that this dichotomy exists but it would be foolish to dismiss this reality. The Wetterlings were (still very much are) financially in a completely different "class" than the Sungaards.
4) investigative agencies - from what I understand, no one outside of the Alexandria Police Dept & the Douglas County Sheriff's Office, has investigated Vicky's disappearance (besides, perhaps privately-funded organizations or private individuals). Wetterling's disappearance as a minor, with witnesses to a stranger-abduction, received immediate assistance from the FBI, as well as other State of MN resources.

IMO

So because Vicki is still missing, is this considered an open case where we can't get any old police reports? I've never requested anything like that before but to see what was done back then would be priceless.
I have so many questions - like which house on Cedar was it? Who was all at the party and what did they say? Did she and this Michael Dale Benson leave about the same time? What car did he have and where was he staying? What did the husband say about that night? Were cadaver dogs brought in to smell around that farm and the pig stalls? Why was he ruled out so quickly?

Thank you all for keeping Vicki's memory alive. She was my sister-in-law and I knew her very well.

The Sundgaard family didn't know anything about Michael Dale Benson until 2006 after he escaped from a prison in St. Peter. He was sentenced after violently raping a woman in the same county.

I remember getting a call from a news person shortly after Benson was featured on America's Most Wanted, and they questioned me about Vicki. I gasped because that was the first time he was ever mentioned. He was at the party Vicki was at and was heard talking about her.

I truly believe he was involved with her disappearance. Her husband was a suspect, but he didn't do it. Benson knows where she is.

Many on this forum have asked why nothing seemed to have been done and why her case didn't get the attention it deserved. I feel it's because they were poor and she was part Native American. It's still very upsetting all these years later.

Thanks again for remembering Vicki.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Riverstyx
Back