MO MO - Betty Alexander, 69, Sullivan, 11 April 2019

-Could there have been an argument that got out of hand, the person struck her in anger and badly injured her, and then they panicked and decided to finish her off and get rid of her so they wouldn't be arrested for assault? And then left the door ajar and took a box of the fentanyl patches to make it seem like that had been the motive for someone to do something to her? I feel like this is one of the most likely scenarios, even though it's still pretty 'out there'... but it would possibly explain some of the strange behaviors after her disappearance.

JMO, it was likely something similar to this. Someone wanted her patches, maybe even wanted to buy some, but she wouldn't sell. They probably tried to win her favor and trust by taking her on errands, etc. (she was seen at City Hall paying a utility bill) They came to her home again to make her give or sell them some patches. An argument ensued, Betty became angry, perhaps was going for help, making noise and someone grabbed her to silence her. She was injured, probably seriously. They felt they had to get rid of her or she would report them to her family or LE. They were in a hurry (drug addicts) and left the door partially opened.

The alternate theory is that the same drug addicts knew she had the patches. They broke into her apartment to steal them, only to be startled by her sleeping in the recliner chair in the living room (her daughter said she did this because of her bad back). Struggle ensues, Betty is injured and removed from the apartment.

There has to be people living in those apartments who heard or saw what happened.

APR 7, 2024
[...]

Tonya Miller and John Schoonveld stood outside the doors of The Ridge Church of Sullivan on Sunday in a desperate search to find their 72-year-old mother.

The pastor led the church in prayer by giving a synopsis of Alexander, saying "We look for you to not only answers but for a miracle."

[...]

"Knowing we still have no answers. Not even a single clue on where she is. It's been hard to hold on to hope," Miller said.

[...]

Miller noted that they had not received any updates from authorities in the last year.
"As far as the [Sullivan] police department goes, it's been just sitting on a shelf there. They don't have the resources to be able to work it and we have a Highway Patrol detective that's working it in his spare time."

[...]

"We don't know what to do anymore. We don't know where to look for answers anymore. So if anybody can help or point us in the direction of somebody that can help," her daughter continued.

[...]

“It has been a struggle to keep hope and so frustrating during the past five years when we have been unable to get the help we need to solve her case,” said Miller. “I have been leaning more on my faith than I have ever before. My church, family, friends, the community, and the Bring Betty Home Facebook friends have helped me through by being there for me and praying for mom.”

“I keep telling myself each day that we don’t find her, which is just one day closer to the answer. I know I have the promise from God that one day I will see her again and if someone is involved, even if we don’t get justice here on this earth, we will get justice on that person’s judgment day,” she said.

“It has been a struggle to keep hope and so frustrating during the past five years when we have been unable to get the help we need to solve her case,” said Miller. “I have been leaning more on my faith than I have ever before. My church, family, friends, the community, and the Bring Betty Home Facebook friends have helped me through by being there for me and praying for mom.”

“I keep telling myself each day that we don’t find her, which is just one day closer to the answer. I know I have the promise from God that one day I will see her again and if someone is involved, even if we don’t get justice here on this earth, we will get justice on that person’s judgment day,” she said.

From the local newspaper, Sullivan Independent News

Hard to believe it's been 5 years. Betty never left her apartment alive MOO, I wish someone was brave enough to send an anonymous tip of her whereabouts. Though what's the odds of someone erratic enough to kill an older lady for her patches still being alive themselves.

April 23, 2024

Of note - there is no mention of Betty being seen standing in the road near the fire station around 5 pm on April 11 2019, referenced here: MO - MO - Betty Alexander, 69, Sullivan, 11 April 2019

From the quoted article:

This is the timeline that Tonya has since pieced together:

At noon on April 10, 2019, Betty was seen by her cleaning lady.

At 1:15 p.m., the pharmacy delivery person saw Betty when they delivered her medicine to her apartment.

At around 3:00 p.m., Betty’s neighbor Jerry — who happens to be Tonya’s sister-in-law’s uncle — saw her outside in the garden.

Betty apparently took her 7:00 p.m. medication that evening but did not take her 7:00 a.m. medication the next day.

It is unclear if anyone saw Betty on April 11 or 12, and on April 13, she was not answering her children’s phone calls.

Betty L. Alexander
betty1.jpgbetty2.jpgbetty3.jpgbetty4.jpgbetty5.jpg
Alexander, circa 2019

Missing Since 04/10/2019
Missing From Sullivan, Missouri
Classification Endangered Missing
Sex Female
Race White
Date of Birth 10/22/1949 (74)
Age 69 years old
Height and Weight 4'11, 150 pounds
Medical Conditions Alexander was in the early stages of dementia at the time of her disappearance and needs medication which she doesn't have with her. She also uses fentanyl patches to control back pain.
Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, gray eyes. Alexander had blonde highlights in her hair at the time of her disappearance. Her ears are pierced and she has rods and screws implanted in her back.

Details of Disappearance
Alexander was last seen in Sullivan, Missouri on April 10, 2019. Her neighbor saw her gardening that afternoon, and the medication she was supposed to take at 7:00 p.m. was apparently taken, since it wasn't found in her home later. She is believed to have disappeared sometime between 7:00 p.m. on April 10 and the morning of April 11. She did not take her 7:00 a.m. doses of medication has never been heard from again.

When her daughter stopped by her apartment on South Center Street on April 14, the door was locked. She unlocked it and went inside and couldn't find her mother, but did see her Meals on Wheels delivery sitting on the table with milk. The only possible indication of a struggle was a scratch on the glass of the screen door.

Alexander's glasses were on the recliner and her purse, containing her wallet, medications and state identification card, was in the closet. Inside the purse was $200 in cash, $100 each in two envelopes; her daughter doesn't know where that would have come from, as she had handled her mother's finances and paid all her bills since Alexander's husband's death.

Alexander's keys were also in the apartment, but one item was missing: one of two boxes of fentanyl patches which had been delivered on April 10. Alexander used the fentanyl for back pain. The other box of patches was in the apartment.

Alexander's daughter stated her mother did not drive or go for walks, and didn't know how to use a computer or a cellular phone. An extensive search of the area turned up no sign of her. Her case remains unsolved.

Last updated May 1, 2024; casefile added.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clueliz
Back