Identified! MO - McDonald Co., 'Grace Doe' Fem Skeletal 784UFMO, 21-31, Dec'90 - Shawna Beth Garber

This case has always been in back of my mind due to its strangeness of hogties and brutality and what Jane Doe might have gone through during possible captivity. I am very thrilled to see latest developments of breaktrough in the case. Thank You Othram!

I am attaching quality photo of her sketch/bust from her DNA Solves page by Othram (all the other photos out there of her sketch are of very low resolution and mini in size) - Who is McDonald County Grace Doe(1990)?

71402330-f6bd-11ea-8329-0242c0a8b003.jpeg

(click on image to enlarge)

I have also managed to re-read full thread to refresh my memory and while there were many suggestions for comparisons, I am surprised Grace Doe unique dentals were rarely mentioned.

Now few details about her teeth fom news articles:
She had had extensive dental work performed before her death. It consisted of things like braces, straightening and overbite corrections. Tellingly, certain teeth had been surgically removed to allow for the normal growth of other adult teeth, something that typically would have been done when the victim was a teenager or even before, Howard said.
“Somebody cared about her, that’s what is astonishing to me,” Howard said. “Somebody spent thousands of dollars on this girl’s dental work.”

Clay made from her dentals posted previously here

144388177_2904497799829084_4042556897474146728_n.png

Details above point that while still young all that complex work was done mostly for cosmetic reasons rather than restorative and that she had possibly very caring people around when growing up.

There is also photo online of her lower jaw with teeth - from 16 lower teeth, she had all present except 2 wisdom teeth. She also had extensive fillings, in at least 7 of them.

Link to 2011 article with photo of lower jaw - Cold case update: bones found

I could not find any details about her upper teeth anywhere or if she had any missing when found. None of the comments at the start of the thread when her full dental chart was still publicly available, indicate any upper missing ones though (except possibly upper wisdom teeth) or any further work such as dental plates, bridges, crowns or cups etc.

I think above dental details could help us when considering new submissions for comparisons to Grace Doe.

I know that she is older than the age estimates for this Jane Doe but the reconstructions/composites remind me of Gloria June Palmer missing from St. Joseph, Missouri.
View attachment 78971View attachment 78985View attachment 78972
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Im definitely late to this forum; however my mother and Gloria as well as Gloria's husband Wayne. She was last seen at the Painted Pony bar in St. Joe. The last time I saw them was at my going away party in May of that year when I joined the Army. That age progression pic looks similar to Gloria. Those of us within the circle of friends believe ( with good reason) that the one responsible for her disappearance was in fact Wayne himself. He was a truck driver at the time. Wayne filed for divorce shortly after and entered a relationship with a custodian at Missouri Western by the name of Linda.

Im definitely late to this forum; however my mother and Gloria as well as Gloria's husband Wayne. She was last seen at the Painted Pony bar in St. Joe. The last time I saw them was at my going away party in May of that year when I joined the Army. That age progression pic looks similar to Gloria. Those of us within the circle of friends believe ( with good reason) that the one responsible for her disappearance was in fact Wayne himself. He was a truck driver at the time. Wayne filed for divorce shortly after and entered a relationship with a custodian at Missouri Western by the name of Linda.

It looks like Gloria has already been excluded as a match to Grace. But the pictures do bear a resemblance:(

I think you should make these details known over on your mothers thread. Sorry for your loss

One of the things that struck me the most about Grace's case was the single blonde hair that was found that didn't belong to her. I'm assuming that investigators would have collected this hair to keep as evidence? If so, would it be possible to extract DNA from this hair (even if it was rootless, this technique was successfully used to identify Marlyse Honeychurch and her daugthers) to identify potential perp? Just my thoughts, not sure if it is realistic though.

Rest peacefully now Shawna. Thank you Othram!!
https://dnasolves.com/articles/grace_doe/
After 30 years, Grace Doe is Identified

“Othram asked the Sheriff’s Office to contact candidate relatives and investigators made contact with Danielle Pixler who was on the genealogical tree developed by Othram. During the conversation, Ms. Pixler stated that she had a half-sister, Shawna Garber, that had been in foster care in Garnett, Kansas and then went back into state care. Danielle did not know what happened with Shawna after she left foster care. After Shawna left foster care, Danielle stated that she had been looking for Shawna for over 28 years. Danielle agreed to contribute a DNA sample and the Topeka Kansas Police Department agreed to take the swab and send it to Lt. Hall. The DNA sample was then forwarded to Othram for testing using a rapid familial test called KinSNP™. Grace has been identified as Shawna Beth Garber.”

Rest peacefully now Shawna. Thank you Othram!!
After 30 years, Grace Doe is Identified

“Othram asked the Sheriff’s Office to contact candidate relatives and investigators made contact with Danielle Pixler who was on the genealogical tree developed by Othram. During the conversation, Ms. Pixler stated that she had a half-sister, Shawna Garber, that had been in foster care in Garnett, Kansas and then went back into state care. Danielle did not know what happened with Shawna after she left foster care. After Shawna left foster care, Danielle stated that she had been looking for Shawna for over 28 years. Danielle agreed to contribute a DNA sample and the Topeka Kansas Police Department agreed to take the swab and send it to Lt. Hall. The DNA sample was then forwarded to Othram for testing using a rapid familial test called KinSNP™. Grace has been identified as Shawna Beth Garber.”

Time to mark another Websleuths thread off as "Identified".

So glad she has been identified. This has been a pet case of mine for a long time.

Beth Doe found in 1976 in Carbon Co PA was also identified today as Evelyn Colon... Two cold cases today...

Grateful to all involved to make this happen. Rest in peace now Shawna. So sorry, life was so cruel to you. Condolences to her loved ones. May justice come swift.

I hope there is a possibility to catch the killer(s). @othram is the one blonde hair found on/near her still preserved?

I am glad she has her name back. Great work by all involved.

But she really deserved a good life that she didn't get to have, and even if there is justice soon, he still got away with it for all that time. A very tragic case.
Rest in peace.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleuthy1101
Back