MS - 14-year old shoots parents; kills mother - Mar. 19, 2024

Ashley Smylie, 40, a high school algebra teacher, was found shot to death in her Brandon home, east of Jackson, Tuesday afternoon by her husband, according to WLBT-TV.

The man was then confronted by Smylie’s 14-year-old daughter, Carly Madison Gregg, who was brandishing a pistol, news station WJLT reported.
Carly Madison Gregg.

This kept popping up in my news feed. I too wonder what was really going on in that home, and hope it was just a tragic accident (but a $1 million bond for a 14-year-old doesn't sound like it).

Terrible to read all of the statements from friends and classmates. You could tell how hard this event hit what seems like an incredibly tight school/community. Doubling their loss the DM reports
The school suffered another tragedy a week later when Cameron Horne-Crook, 14, an eighth-grade student at Northwest Rankin Middle School, was shot dead on Monday.

John Foote, 17, and Maxle Mooneyham, 16, were charged as adults with his murder.

This is a very complex story and has not been updated much as of yet. I’ve heard though that apparently this girl had struggled in school; emotionally and behaviour wise. Her physical appearance and personality also changed from appearing happy and sociable to more reserved, apathetic, etc.

Most likely not a tragic accident but as a precaution there needs to be a bit more investigation also on the stepfather.

Hopefully we will learn more soon. Been generally curious about this case.

This is a very complex story and has not been updated much as of yet. I’ve heard though that apparently this girl had struggled in school; emotionally and behaviour wise. Her physical appearance and personality also changed from appearing happy and sociable to more reserved, apathetic, etc.

Most likely not a tragic accident but as a precaution there needs to be a bit more investigation also on the stepfather.

Hopefully we will learn more soon. Been generally curious about this case.
Welcome to WS! I too noticed a marked change in her physical appearance. I think she may have a diagnosed or not health matter. But that is just my opinion at this time. There were red flags that weren't recognized I guess.

In a preliminary hearing recorded and released by the blog Jackson Jambalaya on Tuesday, investigators spoke about the suspect's seemingly nonchalant behavior after allegedly shooting her mother, as captured in home security cameras.

The footage from the cameras show the minutes leading up to the killing: The suspect and her mother return home, and, after some time, the suspect is seen going into her mother's bedroom, Rankin County Investigator Zachary Cotton said at the hearing.

“Then you hear a gunshot, a scream, followed by two more gunshots,” Cotton said.

In between the time she allegedly shot her mother and her stepfather, the suspect is seen allegedly "singing to her dog,” Cotton said.

Condolences to the victim's loved-ones.
More needs to be known about CMG's mental health, medication status (if she took any), and where she obtained access to the weapon. It's angering -- She could have murdered classmates, too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph
Back