MS MS - Dau Mabil, adult, Belhaven Heights, 25 Mar 2024

TwinkieDefense

Reaction score
April 1 2024 article - (I am unsure exactly where he is missing from based on this).

[…]

A week since Jackson resident Dau Mabil was last seen walking on his usual path, family and community members are pleading for his return and for anyone with information to come forward.

Dau Mabil, a Belhaven Heights resident, went missing March 25 after going on a walk without his phone. Video footage showed him near Jefferson Street between Fortification and High Street around 12:15 p.m., which is when he texted his wife about going to walk around his usual area, from home toward downtown and back.

[…]

“Twenty-five minutes after he left home, he was taking his completely predictable normal walk,” said Bowley. “He was at a normal pace; he was in a normal state of mind. I know that if he could be home, he would be home. He just didn’t disappear. I just want to really follow up with what happened, and I need people to all be together in following up with what happened.”

“We’re not satisfied with no development, but we just have to; I just have to keep pushing.”

“There’s a lot of encouragement and a lot of hope and a lot of strength, that comes out of a love for Dau, so we do,” said Bowley. “I have been assured recently that when there is a development that can be shared, that it will be shared with me first. That was somewhat of a comfort, it was reassuring.”

MS Dept of Public Safety Facebook:

1713326561272.png
1713326600002.png

Mississippi Department of Public Safety (Official)

March 27 at 10:02 am ·
MISSING PERSON
‼️

Dau Mabil was last seen around 12:00 pm on Monday, March 25, 2024, leaving his home to go for a walk, in the Belhaven Heights area.
Mabil was wearing electric blue Adidas joggers with a white stripe on the side, orange long sleeve shirt, and yellow hoodie wrapped around his waist.
He is a black male, 5'11, brown eyes, and short black hair.
If seen or if you have any information, please contact Capitol Police at 601-359-3125.

Well sadly I must edit this post. Dau has been found and it is sad news, I am afraid.

Still missing after nearly a month. Dau Mabil has survived the horrors of being a Lost Boy of Sudan, being brought across the world to a strange culture and then the foster care system to became a beloved member of his community. He has a wife, family in Africa as well as a work family and neighborhood who miss him. I'm still praying he is found alive but I feel the odds are dwindling knowing what I know about the crime rate in the area. * see edit above*

Last edited:
Dau's brother and son have hired an attorney and obtained a court ruling that says his body must be autopsied before it is buried or cremated. Odd. I wonder who is in a hurry to bury him?

During a court hearing Thursday, a judge issued an order that prohibits burial or cremation until the state can conduct an autopsy. Mabil's wife, Karissa Bowley, did not attend the hearing.

Ross said they have been waiting for the Mississippi Department of Public Safety to make an announcement confirming the body is that of Mabil, but because it took so long, they took the issue to court.

Dau's brother and son have hired an attorney and obtained a court ruling that says his body must be autopsied before it is buried or cremated. Odd. I wonder who is in a hurry to bury him?

It may precautionary, but there is clearly some mistrust/suspicion going on between family members here and I will leave it at that due to TOS. That said, you don't have to squint too hard to read between the lines. Let me add that crime in the area is absolutely out of control. I had alway assumed that he was a victim of the violence that is rampant in the area. I'll be interested to see what his brother has found to be unusual in the circumstance surrounding his disappearance. Either way, poor Dau. I feel for the family who loves and misses him.

The sheriff says the preliminary autopsy shows no foul play. The family believes otherwise.

(From the long article that is linked. See full article for more information.)

A network of local and national civil rights leaders and community advocates have gathered surveillance videos and photos that they say point to possible suspects in Mabil’s disappearance and death, with some believing that a hate crime might have occurred. In one of those videos, the family believes what’s shown is a handful of men carrying a body-sized object under a white sheet, in the area where Dau was last seen alive. Dau was 6 feet 1 inch tall and weighed about 145 pounds. NBC News has seen a number of these clips, provided by the NAACP, which also show a pickup truck and various unidentified men in the area where Mabil would’ve been. One of those men appeared to have a stocking or mask pulled over his face, wearing a jacket and gloves, on a day with a high temperature in the 70s.

This and other bits of new information have sparked a call for federal intervention in the investigation. On Wednesday, U.S. Rep. Bennie Thompson, whose district includes Jackson, sent a letter to Attorney General Merrick Garland expressing his concerns over Dau Mabil’s disappearance and calling on federal assistance “before evidence is lost or destroyed.”

Mississippi police were at odds as they searched for missing man, widow says

Karissa Bowley, Dau Mabil’s wife, speaks during a press conference to ask for the public’s help in finding Mabil at St. Andrew’s Episcopal Cathedral in Jackson Miss., on Monday, April 1, 2024. As a child, Dau Mabil escaped war-torn Sudan and built a new life in Mississippi. In April, fishermen found his body floating in a river in the state — prompting calls for a federal investigation into his disappearance and death

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savagely_chaotic
Back