MS MS - Nichole 'Nikki' LaDue, 30, Pass Christian, 29 July 2002

Do you have records from a medical examiner? How small is this town?

Pass Christian, MS is a town of about 6,000.

Technically, no medical examiner was involved...the county coroner was summoned by lead investigator, Thomas Pustay (who now resides in the MS prison system) and together they determined Nikki's death was by her own hand. The two of them accompanied her to the funeral home where she was disrobed, hosed, blood and urine collected. No GSR testing was done but supposedly a trace metal test was conducted to determine whether Nikki had held the gun. This, according to them, came up positive.There was no report.

The toxicology testing revealed a blood alcohol level of .067. Toxicology on the urine showed the presence of amphetamines and cocaine, but no levels. The question arising here is how the presence (but no levels) of these substances could have been used as definitive proof that Nikki was under the influence and therefore, took her own life. The police and coroner stated initially that this was indeed their criteria for closing the case as a suicide without benefit of any kind of investigation.

Next, one has to explore the reversed chain of events...since the toxicology was conducted AFTER Nikki was removed from the scene and since the RESULTS of the testing were not received from the lab until up to 48 hours after the blood and urine were drawn, how could said results have been used to close the case BEFORE they were known? And especially, how could ANY conclusion have been drawn with no levels?

The answer seems to lie with Phillip January and Nancy Burge who both indicated to the authorities several things: Nancy, in the 911 call said, " someone I care about I'm terrified committed suicide", even though she went on to say she knew nothing, had seen nothing and "couldn't find the girl". Later, the responding officer, Willie Davis states in his report Nancy said she had no knowledge of anything negative in Nikki's life, that she (Nikki) was happy in her marriage and "had a cocaine problem". Strangely, no one seemed to see the contradiction.

Phil also said Nikki had a cocaine problem that "I'm helping her with", but they had a happy marriage and "I don't know why she would do this". Another similar contradiction. As well, Phil told the family that he had no idea what had happened until the coroner approached him to say Nikki's death was being ruled a suicide....interesting since he made HIS statement to Willie Davis BEFORE the coroner spoke to him.

At face value, don't you think it appears the cops/coroner did not need an official investigation since Nancy and Phil filled in all the blanks for them? Don't forget Phil told the cops he himself was a veteran police officer from the state of Texas.....did this have bearing on how they handled Nikki's death? Given that it was the family's PI who disproved this 'fact', it seems the Pass Christian PD found no need to double check anything.

Disclaimer: Having painted the above picture of police negligence, ineptitude, and ignorance, the family does not for one New York second believe it was this simple. From the moment the 911 call was being dispatched, a colossal cover up was set in motion...it has yet to be unraveled and exposed.

I am so impressed with the good questions being asked an answered here on Websleuths. Thank you very much. I know it is greatly appreciated.

I have wondered if Nikki was drugged and then killed. There was a computer note the police were said to have found. I am curious how they found this?

I have also read that Phil and his son wiped the computer clean the next day. I find that curious behavior for an ex-cop as well as Phil removing the bloody phone from her hands.

I am guessing when I say I think who ever killed Nikki locked the door to her bedroom so the sleeping little boy would be fooled into thinking Mommy was sleeping as that is what was reported by Nancy he said when he answered the door. He was only 5 at the time.

Yes that is Phil's Linkedin acct. There is also a old resume which states he grad HS and attended college (note he doesn't say he graduated). 6/75 - 5/77 pro-baseball player minor leagues Padres. 8/77 - 12/97 Police Captain Witchata Falls. 4/98 - 2000 Dir of Security for Grand. Then his updated resume is on http://www.linkedin.com/pub/phil-january/16/159/877

Me thinks Phil likes to embellish his accomplishments.

Yes this is the correct condos http://www.trulia.com/property/3024360050-1453-E-Beach-Blvd-219-Pass-Christian-MS-39571

It looks like a long shotgun type of condo from the photos shown with balconies that go the width of condo. With the bedrooms on opposite ends. It is on a desolate stretch of beach front.

I wanted to let Nikki's family and friends that I am still very interested in this case. I have just been very busy recently, and will be going on a vacation after tomorrow. But, I promise to get caught up when I have time!

This is to Brainchannels- It is only obvious that Phil pulled the trigger when you look at the surface. Where does Nancy's (Nikki's "best friend") odd behavior and lack of interest in helping Bonnie discover the truth fit into this picture? If it was Phil who is the perpetrator of this crime, he lives in Baton Rouge,La., Nancy lives in Gulfport, Ms. What kind of power does he have over her living so far apart? Why is it that every professional person that seems interested in this case,and there have been more than a dozen, suddenly bails ship with no intelligent explanation?"There were no defensive wounds" REALLY? "She certainly had reason to commit suicide" REALLY? "There are some things we just can't know in this lifetime so you just need to accept the obvious" REALLY? The latest being" Scott LaPoint( who did the autopsy 2 months after her death and paid for privately by her parents, because there was a question about whether or not there was an exit wound, and who did nothing but a basic autopsy, stated to Denny Griffin,Crime Wire, he was 80% sure Nikki committed suicide when he told Bonnie after doing the autopsy he was 99% sure Nikki DID NOT commit suicide. There have been many more but you see the picture? WHY? Who is Phillip Andrew January that he has this much power over this many people? And WHY is it that Bonnie ( Nikki's mother and the person that has been searching for the truth) CAN NOT be told what the big secret is that everyone in the "professional community" knows????? Crime of passion? I don't think so! Mob related? Maybe! Government involvement? Did Nikki hold information that could not be revealed?

http://nikkiladuejanuary.blogspot.com/2011/07/joey-ortega-talks-about-taking-on-nikki.html

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/cubanarama/2011/07/12/joey-ortega-the-interview
Listen to above show around 1:50 - Joey talks about his plans to cover Nikki's case. Joey Ortega, host of "Behind The Yellow Tape" and Monday night Cubanarama MIA "Missing In America" shares his knowledge of serial killers, cold cases and forensic science.

Behind the Yellow Tape BTR Show by Joey Ortega:
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/behindtheyellowtape on 9PM PST Friday nights. The show aims to shed light on the mysteries that keep victims and their families from receiving deserved justice.

Friends please write The Attorney General of Mississippi Jim Hood and ask to have the Nikki LaDue January case reopened. We respectfully ask the Attorney General Hood to review ME findings and change the findings from suicide to undetermined as the only autopsy indicates.

Include her URL http://www.NikkiLaDueJanuary.com

Her latest Blog Post brings out many good points, including possible corruption and incompetence. CNN Anderson Cooper 360 investigates same Coroner. Lead Detective is convicted of multiple charges of child sex abuse.

9th Anniv of mysterious death of Nikki LaDue January
http://nikkiladuejanuary.blogspot.com/2011/07/today-is-9th-anniversary-of-mysterious.html

This photos attached are of Nikki with her little son Zack. He was her whole life to her. She was going to be leaving with him the day she was found killed. Zack had been left for more than 8hours with her dead body. Nikki wouldn't have done that, why not leave him with sitter? Thankfully her prayers were answered and Zack was saved. https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/yLpmMr_S168ZWPZNROzN-A?feat=directlink

General Information

MS Attorney General's Office
P.O. Box 220
Jackson, MS 39205
MS Attorney General's Office
Walter Sillers Building
550 High Street, Suite 1200
Jackson, MS 39201
Telephone: 601-359-3680
Find us on Facebook
- Mississippi Attorney Generals Office
- Mississippi ICAC Task Force
- Fear Stops Here
or Twitter @MississippiAGO

Department Email: msag05@ago.state.ms.us

Web Contact Form

Attachments

• NikkiZacknice.jpg
    NikkiZacknice.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 5
  • l_542a6967095a4acfefdeac5dcd6aaa4a.jpg
    l_542a6967095a4acfefdeac5dcd6aaa4a.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 4
SlamDunk has spent almost a decade as the police and enjoy discussing law enforcement and crime. He is writing about Nikki's crime.

Finally an Officer of the Law point of view. Please share and comment.

The Death of Nikki LaDue January Part I

I wanted to dedicate some time in the following weeks to a "closed" death investigation from July of 2002--that of Nichole "Nikki" LaDue January.

I try to base my crime writings on news accounts and official documents, but since this case is dated, I am relying on one of the police reports and the family's website for this post.

{snipped for length- please click link to read entire post}

Reportedly Nancy Burge told her son Jason Burge, she was going over to Nikki's apt after she had received a phone call from Phil at her work night shift Phil told her he couldn't find Nikki. Nancy seemed worried when she left. When she returned she told her son she didn't go.

The baby sitter remembers the time Nikki got there to pick up her son as she was watching the clock. Nikki was suppose to have picked him up at 9 pm (she called to say she'd be late). Sitter said in a statement Nikki got there approximately 11:05 and stayed and talked about Zack's day for 20 mins. The sitter lives 10 mins from Nikki's apt.

If so, Nikki wouldn't have been home to answer calls until after 11:30pm. Who was making calls out of the condo at the time Phil says Nikki finally calls him. (per Bell South records.) Was it Nancy?

So where was Nikki between 9pm and 11pm? She was with Eric Hunsicker from noon til 9pm. That tells me something came up. 9pm was when she was to go get Zack. Paul lives close by Nikki's apt (he has key is owner) did she see him?

Allegedly Phil was covered with scratches and hands bloodied after Nikki was found. Reportedly more than one witness to this at condo and Funeral.

Reportedly Nancy Burge told her son Jason Burge, she was going over to Nikki's apt after she had received a phone call from Phil at her work night shift Phil told her he couldn't find Nikki. Nancy seemed worried when she left. When she returned she told her son she didn't go.

The baby sitter remembers the time Nikki got there to pick up her son as she was watching the clock. Nikki was suppose to have picked him up at 9 pm (she called to say she'd be late). Sitter said in a statement Nikki got there approximately 11:05 and stayed and talked about Zack's day for 20 mins. The sitter lives 10 mins from Nikki's apt.

If so, Nikki wouldn't have been home to answer calls until after 11:30pm. Who was making calls out of the condo at the time Phil says Nikki finally calls him. (per Bell South records.) Was it Nancy?

So where was Nikki between 9pm and 11pm? She was with Eric Hunsicker from noon til 9pm. That tells me something came up. 9pm was when she was to go get Zack. Paul lives close by Nikki's apt (he has key is owner) did she see him?

Allegedly Phil was covered with scratches and hands bloodied after Nikki was found. Reportedly more than one witness to this at condo and Funeral.

BBM

WOW!! That should have been a big red flag to police!! :banghead:

RealCrime photos doesn't seem to show any splatter either right or left of head. The blood pooling makes me wonder if her position was changed after shooting her.

Positioning of hands and the phone with smears and blood flaking is concerning.

The 9mm casing found isn't consistent with gun she is sitting on.

There are new postings at Nikki's Blog with a tab for Websleuths. Hopefully more discussion will be forthcoming.

Thank you for your help.

Posted by Slamdunk on Monday, August 8, 2011
http://theslamdunktrove.blogspot.com/2011/08/death-of-nikki-ladue-january-part-ii.html
Continuing with this strange case...

Case Summary

In July of 2002, the body of Nikki LaDue January was found seated on the balcony of her condominium in Pass Christian, Mississippi. Officers stated that she had a single gun shot wound to her right temple area.

A Sterling .380 caliber pistol was partially under her left thigh on a chair, her right leg was propped up against the table in front of her, and a cordless phone on the table was covered in blood.

There were two different brands of cigarettes and two different lighters on the table in front of her.

A bullet was located in a chair on the next balcony, and a shell casing was later found by a maintenance man in the condo's pool.

Ms. January had apparently been deceased for several hours, and her five-year old son was found in the residence unharmed.

Authorities at the scene quickly classified the death as a suicide--so most of the items present were not processed, no autopsy was conducted, no blood was collected, and so on.

Please click link to see more
Additional Case Details*

I have not included entire post for length. Slam Dunk is an ex-cop so he has very insightful observations and has many other professional law enforcement viewers who often post comments. Please click above link and read and feel free to comment and share.

Thank you!!

From Bobkat on SD comments http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=8562735245977373688&postID=238580436926218868
Another well written post with detail to works.

The gun was found under her "left thigh", but she was shot through her right temple, and her head leaned right. A .380 doesn't pack a lot of punch, so it's doubtful her head was slammed to the left and back again.

How does a person shoot themselfs in the right temple and drop the gun under there left thigh, let alone "partially under" her left thigh. Her right leg was propped against a table. Could be and indication she dreaded pulling the trigger, or someone put it there, or she was trying to gain leverage before being shot.

Although the cigarettes seem unimportant, and yes, I've had on occasion two types of the same brand of cigarettes, it's uncommon. Same with the lighters. But the two enigmas together make for doubt she was alone.

The ex-husband? Why did he show up when the friend arrived, and the child, lucky for him he was sleeping.

Good post Slam...

What do YOU think?

Posted by Slamdunk on Monday, August 15, 2011

Link to original post please share:
http://theslamdunktrove.blogspot.com/2011/08/death-of-nikki-ladue-january-part-iii.html

Case Summary

In July of 2002, the body of Nikki LaDue January was found seated on the balcony of her condominium in Pass Christian, Mississippi. Officers stated that she had a single gun shot wound to her right temple area.

A Sterling .380 caliber pistol was partially under her left thigh on a chair, her right leg was propped up against the table in front of her, and a cordless phone on the table was covered in blood.

There were two different brands of cigarettes and two different lighters on the table in front of her.

A bullet was located in a chair on the next balcony, and a shell casing was later found by a maintenance man in the condo's pool.

Ms. January had apparently been deceased for several hours, and her five-year old son was found in the residence unharmed.

Authorities at the scene quickly classified the death as a suicide. ___________________________________________________

The Investigator

The lead detective for the Nikki LaDue January case was Pass Christian Police Department investigator Thomas Pustay.

At the time, Detective Pustay had over 20 years of law enforcement experience.

He was contacted by officers at the scene and arrived at Ms. LaDue January's condo the morning she was discovered deceased.

Pustay spoke with the initial medical and police responders.

He interviewed the Nikki's husband, Phil January, as well as her friend Nancy Burge who also had entered the condo.

He examined the death scene, collected some items, and took photos.

He coordinated with the county coroner in processing the incident.

And most importantly, Det. Pustay weighed the evidence for a short time and determined that Ms. LaDue January committed suicide.

Though police agency policies vary, generally there is less work for a suicide versus a homicide.

No intensive canvassing for witnesses.

Limited tests and forensic work.

No follow-up search warrants of cell phone records, computers, or other electronic equipment.

No thorough background check of the victim to identify persons of interest in her past or in the present.

In this alleged suicide, no diagrams were completed to record the precise location of items in relation to the body.

No initial autopsy was conducted.

So, little was done at the LaDue January death scene--as it was ruled just another incident involving someone taking their own life.

But what happens when the investigator's integrity is later shown to be lacking?

In 2005, the married Thomas Pustay was convicted of two counts of touching of a child for lustful purposes and three counts of sexual battery. Prosecutors stated that the former detective began abusing the victim (a family friend) at age 9, and it lasted for 7 years.

Pustay is now serving 40 years in a Mississippi prison.

Former Detective Thomas Pustay (Source: MS Dept. of Corrections)

One item of note from the article on Pustay's conviction is his admission of lying to police investigators.

So, it is understandable for Ms. LaDue January's family and those examining the death case to question the credibility of this lead detective.

A detective who has shown a pattern of dishonesty and poor judgment.

And, a detective leading an investigation where the quality of the evidence saved was questionable--not to mention a least one item that was collected and then apparently misplaced.

The family's site includes detailed questions that seem to be unanswered in this case.

Next time, I'll take a look at some of those issues and offer my own observations.

----------------------------------------
All posts on this topic can be viewed by clicking here: Nikki LaDue January.

We are hoping to hear more about the blood splatter soon-

As for the spatter on the wall. It appears to be blood dripping on top of blood which then begins to puddle and then bounce off. This will make a splashing pattern on the wall the appears as spatter to the untrained viewer.
This is the spatter near the floor behind her body. I'm not as concerned with these blood markings As I am with others.

The Death of Nikki LaDue January: Part V
Posted by Slamdunk on Monday, August 29, 2011
Labels: crime, criminal justice, Nikki LaDue January

Last week, I looked at the gun in relation to the victim's body.

In this post, I want to discuss another item at the scene: a cordless telephone.

Case Summary

Authorities at the scene quickly classified the death as a suicide.

--------------------------------------

B) The Telephone

Near the end of Pass Christian Police Department detective Tom Pustay's investigative narrative, a report where he describes the death scene of Ms. LaDue January, he makes the following curious statement:

"...There is a cordless phone on a table that is covered with blood. It is unknown how it got there or how the blood got on it..."

As the report continues, a reader expects the detective, who has introduces a seemingly out of place bloody phone, to clarify that initial statement.

He does not.

Strangely, no additional information about the phone is included in Pustay's report, but he photographed it (shown below).

Blood Covered White Phone (Photo Credit)​

The family allowed me to review a second police report on the case--that of one of the police first responders that morning: Sgt. Willie Davis.

Sgt. Davis' description of the scene does not mention the bloody phone on the table.

So, two detailed reports of a death scene thought to be a suicide, and an object that was evidently covered in blood and lying on a table about five feet from the body, is barely mentioned.

But, why is the phone important?

Remember, the pathologist hired by the family to examine Nikki's body stated that death occurred "immediately or very rapidly after immediate loss of consciousness."

So, a bloody phone on a table would have been either placed there by the woman immediately as she was dying or, and here we go again, moved there by someone else.

Now, the phone was evidently moved once by Nikki's husband, Phil January.

According to documents provided by Nikki's family, Phil stated that he initially saw the phone"in the middle of her lap."

Mr. January evidently added that the phone was covered in blood (as in the photo), not near Nikki's hand, and was in an area of her lap that had no blood stains.

In addition, the family states that Phil was also confused by the source of the blood on the phone, spoke with Detective Pustay about it, and was concerned over the investigator's dismissal of the detail.

When authorities arrived it was said that the phone's battery was dead.

In sum, a woman's death is declared a suicide. The gun believed to be used in the death is found in a chair partially under one of the victim's legs. A portable phone covered in blood, is seen on a table in front of the woman--but it is unknown how the blood got there.

It is reasonable to argue that the gun was moved and later placed between the victim's legs.

The telephone was moved at least once before the body was photographed--and it is likely that the item was relocated twice prior to police arriving.

That said, this renders more questions than anything:

--How did the phone get covered in blood?

--Was she holding the phone at the time of death?

--Who moved it (how many times) and why?

This "open-and-shut suicide" case appears to be anything but that.

I'll have more next Monday--including another strange item photographed on Ms. LaDue January's table, but not mentioned in police reports.

http://theslamdunktrove.blogspot.com/2011/09/death-of-nikki-ladue-january-part-vi.html

Posted by Slamdunk on Tuesday, September 6, 2011
Labels: crime, criminal justice, Nikki LaDue January, police
Last week, I wrote about a blood-covered phone found near Ms. LaDue January, and this time, I'll continue discussing the scene...

Case Summary

B) Feet

Each of us has likes and dislikes.

Characteristics about us that may be odd, but denote our uniqueness.

As such, at a death and/or crime scene, it is important for investigators to be cognizant of a victim's preferences.

For instance, if I was found dead at my dinner table and a plate with a medium-rare steak was in front of me, the specific meal would not mean much to someone who does not know me.

But, detectives speaking to family members would quickly ascertain that the Mrs. and I prefer steaks as close to well-done as possible (yes, our motto is "burn it")--indicating that the food found in front of me was likely not mine.

I am also very routine-oriented. If I were to go missing, the Mrs. could match the time and date that I was last seen to wherever/whatever was on my schedule, and provide authorities with specifics about what I was doing just prior to disappearing.

Ok, enough about me.

The same approach would also apply to the death of Nikki LaDue January.

In correspondence written by Nikki's husband (Phil January) to authorities in which he is dissatisfied with the investigation and asks questions about the scene and circumstances surrounding his wife's death, he makes the following statement:

"...Also out of character was the the fact that the new shoes that she had purchased that day were in our living room and she was barefoot. She never went barefoot for any reason."
Never?

What if other family members verified this observation?

One relative agreed and described Nikki's preference for shoes as an "idiosyncrasy" that she had developed later in life. The relative added that Nikki would only go barefoot when she had to--bedtime, shower, at the pool, etc.

Phil stated Nikki's new tennis shoes, that he referred to previously, were located in the living room.

None of the crime scene photos show shoes on the balcony, but the entire balcony was not included in the shots--nor was the area near the balcony door.

Yet, she was found dead wearing no shoes or socks on her balcony.

Death Scene of Nikki LaDue January

Near a phone that was almost certainly moved more than once prior to police arriving.

With a handgun that was recovered in a highly unlikely place--under her leg.

Now, we can't eliminate every scenario that would send Nikki out on her balcony without shoes; or every situation in which that medium-rare steak would be in front of me.

But...

If an investigator is looking for only one reason to be suspicious of an apparent suicide, learning that a victim never went without shoes yet was found dead in his/her bare feet is certainly enough to question the stated premise.

In this case, the bare feet are just one of a litany of characteristics that scream: "Let's slow down, process this scene, and see what direction the evidence leads."

Unfortunately, the "scream" went unheard.

------------------

Oh, and last week I mentioned a strange object located on a table that was photographed at the scene by the investigator, but not listed in any of the police reports.

About that unidentified object?

It was later determined to be the detective's camera case that was placed on a table and inadvertently included in the series of scene photographs.

I'll cover another aspect of the case next week.

Please visit the original post to share and comment

The Death of Nikki LaDue January: Part VII

Posted by Slamdunk on Monday, September 19, 2011
Labels: crime, criminal justice, Nikki LaDue January

Last time, I wrote about the victim's feet and how they add to the litany of details that make this death case unusual.

Today, I want to discuss the 911 call.

Case Summary

C) The 911 Call--an Introduction (Part One of two on the 911 call)

Regular readers of my missing persons and crime posts know that I tend to bore with my repeated use of the disclaimer: "The public (me included) knows less than 1/2 of the details of an investigation."

As such, it is generally irresponsible for me to make strong judgments about witnesses, authorities, evidence, leads, etc.

Generally that is.

The death of Nikki LaDue January presents an exception to this rule.

Since authorities declared the case "Closed," they have released much more about the investigation.

The family obtained photos from the scene.

They have reports from the responding sergeant, the lead investigator, and the county's coroner.

In contrast to most cases, much is known about the investigation into the death of Nikki LaDue January.

Using these documents, the family learned what actions were taken as well as what was not done.

Most importantly, the released information allowed the family to understand the rationale of authorities who had declared the death of Nikki LaDue January a suicide.

Not that knowing the basis for a determination has been comforting--as the documents leave many questions about Nikki's death unanswered.

One other case aspect obtained by the family was a recording of the 911 call made that resulted in the Pass Christian Police responding--the initial call reporting that Ms. January's body had been found.

As with many 911 calls, the audio is not the best quality. The dialogue between Nikki's friend Nancy Burge and the police dispatcher is sometimes difficult to comprehend.

Rather than just post the original hard-to-decipher 911 call, what do the family and representatives working with them do?

They make/obtain a written transcript from the original call, and use it to create an audio recording of that 911 call--one that matches the conversation and the emotional/non-emotional responses of the participants.

The audio was then inserted into a video, and a simulated timeline was added.

The video is below.

---------------------------
This week, I wanted to let folks listen to the call (again this is a reproduction).

What things catch your attention?

--Nancy's (the caller) relatively calm presence?

--She stating that "he came in tonight"? (3:01)

--Nancy telling someone to "...just take him out to the car"--evidently referring to the dead woman's child? (2:30)

--The dispatcher obtaining the condo's phone number, and then stating that he will call there directly?

--Something else?

Simulated Timeline and 911 Call from Nikki LaDue January on Vimeo.

About this video: now that is innovation.

I'll talk more about the 911 call next week.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clueliz
Back