MT MT - Nefataree Bartell, 26, Missoula, 6 March 2023

Press release from the Missoula County Sheriff's Office:
On the afternoon of May 4, Montana FWP personnel were conducting research in the Gold Creek area when they found several pieces of women’s clothing. They immediately marked the location and contacted 911 as they were aware of missing Nefataree Bartell, who was last seen in the Gold Creek area on February 21, 2023.
Missoula County Search and Rescue, who were already in the Gold Creek area searching for Bartell responded to the location where the clothing was found. Missoula County Search and Rescue located the clothing, and after a short search, they also found human remains. The clothing and remains were transported by Missoula County Sheriff’s Office Coroner to the Medical Examiner’s Office in Missoula for identification and cause of death.
Missoula County Sheriff, Jeremiah Petersen stated, “Missoula County Search and Rescue have shown great dedication and perseverance in their search efforts over the last several weeks. These folks are volunteers who give of their time, not only to conduct search and rescue missions, but to continually train to provide the highest level of service to Missoula County and surrounding areas. We also greatly appreciate the attention to detail by Montana FWP employees and their immediate conveyance of information.”
City of Missoula Police Department is leading the investigation into the disappearance of Nefataree Bartell. More information will be provided as it becomes available

Also released to KPAX 8.

Human remains found in Gold Creek area, outside Missoula​

by NBC Montana Staff
Fri, May 5th 2023, 1:53 PM EDT

MISSOULA, Mont. — Human remains found in the Gold Creek area, outside Missoula, have been sent to the Medical Examiners office for identification and cause of death.

Missoula FWP personnel found women's clothing while conducting research in the Gold Creek area on May 4. They immediately called 911 as they were aware that Nefararee Bartell was last seen in the area on Feb. 21.

Missoula County Search and Rescue found the clothing and after a short search located human remains.

Is there still snow in the Gold Creek area?

I'm assuming she was probably still pregnant when she died, and that the baby died with her. The autopsy should reveal this, and maybe they could take DNA and at least find out who its father was (if there's any doubt).

RIP Nef and baby.

Is there still snow in the Gold Creek area?
Here's a great interactive tool to see snow levels and it shows it is still snowing but not really accumulating more snow in a number of areas in Montana. Most all the higher elevations appear to have a lot of snow and the lowest elevations are bare.

Here's a great interactive tool to see snow levels and it shows it is still snowing but not really accumulating more snow in a number of areas in Montana. Most all the higher elevations appear to have a lot of snow and the lowest elevations are bare.

I don't want to appear insensitive, but hoping her remains are well preserved so COD can be easily established. If she was murdered, I want justice for her, the baby and CB.

I don't want to appear insensitive, but hoping her remains are well preserved so COD can be easily established. If she was murdered, I want justice for her, the baby and CB.
I know but the daytime temperatures in April don't favor that. It is known, from listening to the witness that gave her a ride, that she hiked off to search for a nonexistent cabin and her boyfriend wasn't due to join her until 8 PM. How could he possibly find her in the dark if he even ever showed up? We have no idea if they thought the "cabin" had electricity/lights, etc. He was going to hitchhike. By 8 PM she would have been in heavy snow for 5 to 6 hours and incapcitated. MOO

December and February are the coldest months with temperature at around -13°c.

https://www.worldweatheronline.com/v2/weather.aspx?q=59733

Gold Creek (59733) Weather

1683349225210.jpeg
World Weather Online
https://www.worldweatheronline.com › weather

I also hope her social media remains are well preserved -- what kind of 'boyfriend' would agree to have a seven-month pregnant woman traipse through the wilderness alone (dog notwithstanding) to meet them ?!?

Anyone know how/when/where/from who she got her dog?

(Apologies in advance if we are not allowed to sleuth the pets of deceased persons.)

MAY be handled by the same local LE (may provide clues as to how local LE looks at MP vs. criminal cases) and prepare one for what to expect from them;

MAY offer thoughts for those well-wishers based on what happened in prior case (who can be helpful vs. waste of time, etc.) MAY even involve some of the same people/suspects, etc.
MOO You are completely ignoring that a witness came forward and told both LE and the mother about the victim Bartell getting a ride and insisting on going to an isolated rural area in the middle of a snowstorm, in search of a nonexistent cabin. LE and the mother have accepted the witness as credible. The witness feared Bartell could not survive in that weather and called 911. LE and/or a dispatcher told the witness they would not look for Bartell in a snowstorm. How many hours do you think she could have survived?

MAY not involve the same suspects. There are no suspects in the Barsotti case, it was an accidental drowning and there was no evidence of foul play. Her own mother admits there was a video of her daughter, on her phone, of her at the river that afternoon playing with her dog, who also drowned. The family has accused her then-soon-to-be ex-husband of murdering her, how is that even remotely connected to this case?

MOO You are completely ignoring that a witness came forward and told both LE and the mother about the victim Bartell getting a ride and insisting on going to an isolated rural area in the middle of a snowstorm, in search of a nonexistent cabin. LE and the mother have accepted the witness as credible. The witness feared Bartell could not survive in that weather and called 911. LE and/or a dispatcher told the witness they would not look for Bartell in a snowstorm. How many hours do you think she could have survived?

MAY not involve the same suspects. There are no suspects in the Barsotti case, it was an accidental drowning and there was no evidence of foul play. Her own mother admits there was a video of her daughter, on her phone, of her at the river that afternoon playing with her dog, who also drowned. The family has accused her then-soon-to-be ex-husband of murdering her, how is that even remotely connected to this case?
MOO You are completely ignoring that the first report of the witness came several days AFTER my comment, so any reference to it infers that I claim 20/20 hindsight -- which I do not....

Nonetheless, I think it sensible to consider prior cases that occurred in the same locale in the recent past to see what can be learned from them - even if they were NOT both young women, alone with their dog, who turned up deceased.

Would like to know who filed this charge....have they been cleared?
DV arrests/charges are automatically filed by the DA's Office if LE responds to a call and determines DV occured. The victim doesn't have a choice in the matter. If they haven't been adjudicated yet, they will be soon :(

(from post #61): City of Missoula Police Department is leading the investigation into the disappearance of Nefataree Bartell.

Wonder how the new Chief is at detective work --

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daisy102502
Back