Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the guy from the campsite mention either of them having a french (or any other for that matter) accent?

Good question!? On another note, I've known many Québécois that spoke perfect and unaccented English, along with French... so it could've been hard to tell. It's also interesting to note there are also Cajuns/Creole that speak with an interesting accent in that part of the country so if an accent was present, it may have gone unnoticed...

Just thinking outloud... if the guy had any kind of accent, he maybe could have been saying his name was "Jack", as well.

Just thinking outloud... if the guy had any kind of accent, he maybe could have been saying his name was "Jack", as well.

I do remember reading in one of the many articles I have read about this case that the guy at KOA did detect an accent of some sort. I've been searching to see if I could find the article but I can't. The closest I can come to it is the description on the Doe Network where the KOA guy said his name was "Jock" and authorities determined it was probably "Jacques". So he probably did have an accent if the guy heard "Jock" when he said his name. The trouble with some of these articles are that they are not accessible anymore. I bookmarked 2 or 3 of them a couple years ago and couldn't open them anymore when I tried to go back and re-read them. I know it's on another post on here somewhere but I provided the Doe Network listing for him.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/198umsc.html

That makes me like this Jacques Bellchambers even more. I wonder if there could be a typo in the height.

Here's his Doe Network page http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2217dmnsw.html

It says he went missing with 4 other people, maybe one of them is the Jane Doe. I can't find any information on those other 4 people anywhere. Sigh.

I checked that site, too. No further mention of the Williams other than in Jacques' story. :(

That makes me like this Jacques Bellchambers even more. I wonder if there could be a typo in the height.

Here's his Doe Network page http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2217dmnsw.html

It says he went missing with 4 other people, maybe one of them is the Jane Doe. I can't find any information on those other 4 people anywhere. Sigh.

There is a strong resemblance. It said in the Crime Library story that the ring that was found on John Doe had the initials JPF so I was thinking maybe Jacques-Paul or Jacques-Phillippe or something like that. He also tried to pawn an expensive ring to the KOA guy for some cash though so it probably was the ring with the initials on it. I think that was the only ring he had on him. Maybe the ring belonged to someone else though and he was just trying to get some money for it. At least we're fairly certain of the "Jacques" part of his name.

So far, the only Grants Truck Stop tht I found was in Boise Idaho. I found an old postcard for sale on ebay for it.

Got this response from Sumter Co. Sheriff's Dept regarding Jacques:

Angie,
Thank you for your interest in this case. I have compared the photograph of “Jacques” to the photograph of our unknown male. Sorry to say, that “Jacques” is not our unknown male victim. The DNA analysis of our victims will be conducted in the near future by the FBI. The DNA codes will be submitted to all DNA Data Bases worldwide to determine if a relative of our victims is in the Data Bases. Again, thank you for your interest.

Don't know how he's so sure just by comparing the photographs, but what else can I say? :)

I'd imagine they probably have the morgue photos, as well as the reconstructions that we're seeing.

Got this response from Sumter Co. Sheriff's Dept regarding Jacques:

Don't know how he's so sure just by comparing the photographs, but what else can I say? :)

I'd imagine they probably have the morgue photos, as well as the reconstructions that we're seeing.

I don't know either how they could tell so quickly that it wasn't a match but thanks for e-mailing them.

Have you tried finding the father rather than the son? I've tried myself without luck but I'm thinking a prominent Dr might have worked with universities, given lectures or some pages could mention his work. I've been looking at University pages but didn't find any Dr F. in Canada that could be a possibility. I think pride might have prevented this man from looking for his son and also, really a father who disavows his son might just think he no longer wants to talk to him most of all is he was stupborn like his father who disavowed him just for not wanting to study medicine.

The thought has recently occurred to me that maybe this was not his ring (maybe stolen) but he told the guy his name was Jacques to account for the engraving. If so, who knows who he is?

I find the story rather credible, usually I'm rather full of doubts with this kind of stories, like the Princess Doe one, I just don't picture her being a prostitute I think the guy and the woman totally made up the story (this skirt is just so childish, you would have had to beat me with a baseball bat to force to go out with such a skirt when I was her age and still I wasn't so much a hard girl) but this one I just don't see anything making me have doubts about it. If he had stolen it he could have invented any other story, that it was his grand father's or whatever also it surely fit his finger and it's rare that a stolen ring happens to fit. I'm curious about the DNA test, to see if he and the woman were related.

Have you tried finding the father rather than the son? I've tried myself without luck but I'm thinking a prominent Dr might have worked with universities, given lectures or some pages could mention his work. I've been looking at University pages but didn't find any Dr F. in Canada that could be a possibility. I think pride might have prevented this man from looking for his son and also, really a father who disavows his son might just think he no longer wants to talk to him most of all is he was stupborn like his father who disavowed him just for not wanting to study medicine.

Yes, I did think of looking for the father. I'm not the greatest researcher in the world but I did try Googling physicians from Canada looking mostly in the Quebec area, etc. I tried a number of ways. I didn't check Universities though. That is a good idea. Of course, he probably is retired by now but I thought about looking up hospitals throughout Quebec and looking through the staff. I also firmly believe pride kept him from searching. It sounds like they parted on not very good terms so the father may not have even been speaking to his son. But surely there are other people in his family, his mom or siblings or even friends who would search for him. The same goes for the girl. I just can't believe NO ONE is looking for these two.

The thought has recently occurred to me that maybe this was not his ring (maybe stolen) but he told the guy his name was Jacques to account for the engraving. If so, who knows who he is?

That thought crossed my mind because of the fact that he tried to pawn it to the KOA guy for some obviously much-needed cash. But with the initial J and his first name being Jacques, it probably was his.

Someone PM'd me about robbery being the motive. I can't believe that because they left their jewelry on them. They probably took their wallets but no doubt that was so they couldn't be identified. I'm sure they didn't have a lot of cash on them because Jacques tried to sell the ring. Another thing that was mentioned was the fact that the guy had the matches on him from the truck stop but they described them on the Doe Network as nonsmokers. I'm sure he had them as a souvenir or something but the thought occurred to me about pot. Maybe they tried to score some dope from someone and the drug deal went horribly wrong?

Could it be that before or after trying to pawn the ring, the UID pawned sthg else and he tried to get it back? I think it probably has to do with money. They looked like a clean couple, I don't see them involved in bad stuff. And a serial killer, I dk, usually when SK kill couples they rape the woman. Taking the man's ring could have been very risky see that it was rather identifiable.

I think for the father even if he's old he could be listed somewhere as an honorary member or on University history pages. I think the best would be that a Canadian newspapers runs a story about them.

Hi there,

I am a newly regged member but have been lurking here for a long time. I've been studying this case and had a few thoughts about it:

1. I wonder if this young man's father was a DENTIST, rather than an MD?

2. I wonder if this was a drug deal that went bad? Those were the days when people hooked up randomly to party and "score", especially when traveling around. Things could go badly very easy, since people hitchhiking were probably too trusting. (Maybe I've watched "Easy Rider" one too many times!?) Since it sounds like they needed money, it's also possible they could have pulled a minor drug buying scam ("give me some $$ while I go get that (insert drug name here) from my friend and deliver it to you later..." -type of thing) and they scammed the wrong person who came looking for them.

3. Has the FRANCE connection ever been explored by authorities there? I am of French descent both via Quebec and also France. They look very French-featured to me or even possibly South American. The reason I ask about France is because I am a passable French speaker and am going to Paris to see relatives in about two months. If it already hasn't been done, a dossier could be given to the National Police there to compare to missing persons in their databases. If someone would like for me to do that, please PM me and let me know.

4. The possible south american connection could also tie into the drug-deal-gone-bad theory, since cocaine had been coming into vogue in the U.S., a lot being trafficed through Florida (where Jacques Doe's t-shirt may have come from?). It is also possible they came S. Carolina from Florida to do a "delivery" that went bad as well.

All of this conjecture still does not explain why it seems like no one is looking for them- however if they were from France or South American that *might* explain why.

I am sure there are others here who have done way more research than I have, but thought I would share these ideas, especially about my upcoming trip to France. :)

They don't look much French to me, French people rarely have an olive complexion unless they are of foreign descent, Italian, Spanish or Portugese but then they could as much be from these countries. Also their features really aren't French even from South of France, to me they looked a bit Cuban, most of all the guy or of Greek descent possibly.
Btw, women do shave for decades in France, and maybe much more, I am not sure wherever this myth of French women not shaving comes from but that is really just a myth...

Hi there,

I am a newly regged member but have been lurking here for a long time. I've been studying this case and had a few thoughts about it:

1. I wonder if this young man's father was a DENTIST, rather than an MD?

2. I wonder if this was a drug deal that went bad? Those were the days when people hooked up randomly to party and "score", especially when traveling around. Things could go badly very easy, since people hitchhiking were probably too trusting. (Maybe I've watched "Easy Rider" one too many times!?) Since it sounds like they needed money, it's also possible they could have pulled a minor drug buying scam ("give me some $$ while I go get that (insert drug name here) from my friend and deliver it to you later..." -type of thing) and they scammed the wrong person who came looking for them.

3. Has the FRANCE connection ever been explored by authorities there? I am of French descent both via Quebec and also France. They look very French-featured to me or even possibly South American. The reason I ask about France is because I am a passable French speaker and am going to Paris to see relatives in about two months. If it already hasn't been done, a dossier could be given to the National Police there to compare to missing persons in their databases. If someone would like for me to do that, please PM me and let me know.

4. The possible south american connection could also tie into the drug-deal-gone-bad theory, since cocaine had been coming into vogue in the U.S., a lot being trafficed through Florida (where Jacques Doe's t-shirt may have come from?). It is also possible they came S. Carolina from Florida to do a "delivery" that went bad as well.

All of this conjecture still does not explain why it seems like no one is looking for them- however if they were from France or South American that *might* explain why.

I am sure there are others here who have done way more research than I have, but thought I would share these ideas, especially about my upcoming trip to France. :)

RMF, these are good points. Their nationalities, if they are not French-Canadian, are certainly open to conjecture.

But you're absolutely right about drugs and the 70s. They were much more accessible back then. Many, many more people experimented with drugs (mostly pot) than I could even suspect. I'm not saying EVERYONE did but I'm surprised to find out now how many supposedly strait-laced people I knew back then actually experimented with at least pot. It was definitely the drug du jour of the 70s. Even if they were low on cash it was probably attainable. Or, as you say, they could have been the ones doing the dealing and found themselves in a situation where they couldn't deliver the goods. It certainly is a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vymocycy