NC NC - Asha Degree, 9, Shelby, 14 Feb 2000 #2

Re post refresher.

Feb 15, 2022 Inside the FBI Podcast
''More than 20 years ago, 9-year-old Asha Degree disappeared from her home in North Carolina in the middle of the night. While some clues have emerged about what could’ve happened to her, we still haven’t found Asha. On this episode of Inside the FBI, we spoke to law enforcement officers investigating Asha Degree’s disappearance. You’ll hear about the various efforts to find Asha, what we know so far, and how to come forward if you have any information. Timestamps: 0:00 Introduction. 1:46 The last sighting of Asha Degree. 3:33 Who was Asha Degree? 6:56 "This is not a cold case." 8:57 The FBI's CARD team gets involved. 13:35 We receive tips to this day. 14:34 Contact law enforcement, even if the information is years old 17:34 "We don't care about the money." 19:27 How you can help. For a full transcript and additional resources, visit https://fbi.gov/news/podcasts/. To see Asha's missing poster, visit https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap/ash.... Remember you can provide tips anonymously at https://www.tips.fbi.gov.''

Anniversary article. Only thing new that I see is that a farm was searched in Shelby county. The article doesn’t say when or why the search took place. The farm belongs to a family with the last name of Cline. I wonder if this was anywhere near the shed where the picture was found? But that family’s last name was Turner. Hmmm… maybe one of you amazing sleuths out there can figure out where the Cline farm search was. Nothing was found, but it still might hold a clue if we knew the location of the farm.

Last edited:

Another anniversary article. One thing mentioned here I haven’t seen before. It’s a small detail, but Asha had a basketball hoop in her driveway. Could she have spent time outside alone after school and a neighbor used that as an opportunity to talk to her one on one and earn her trust?

Anniversary article. Only thing new that I see is that a farm was searched in Shelby county. The article doesn’t say when or why the search took place. The farm belongs to a family with the last name of Cline. I wonder if this was anywhere near the shed where the picture was found? But that family’s last name was Turner. Hmmm… maybe one of you amazing sleuths out there can figure out where the Cline farm search was. Nothing was found, but it still might hold a clue if we knew the location of the farm.

IIRC, the search was made south of Shelby along hwy 18. It seems like there may have been a couple searches in that area now that I think about. First time I've heard the name though.

There's a Cline's nursery but both addresses are north of Shelby. That would put it closer to the Degree household if its the right place that is.
If so then I don't remember hearing about that search. Of course they did search that entire area so I dont know. Maybe I can take another look at it later.

''I know it’s been very disturbing for the community as well as my family," said John Cline, a Shelby resident. "They searched our farm looking for any ditch, ravine, old well, anything where they could possibly find clues."

''Investigators did not find any clues on the Cline's farm.''

'' Feb 14, 2023
Asha Degree’s parents last saw their daughter 23 years ago. It’s a Valentine’s Day they’ll never forget. The then nine-year-old girl from Cleveland County went missing on February 14, 2000. Family members last saw her asleep in her bedroom. While some clues have emerged about what could’ve happened to her, Asha still has not been found.''

Last edited:

In the link you provided it says the search of the Cline farm was in 2018 but the release of information regarding some of the contents of Asha's book bag was not included under this date. I thought that was a little strange. The link below confirms that the release of this information was the same year as the search, so now I'm wondering if the contents of the bag had something to do with the search. If so the search was probably conducted before the release of that information. Like I've been saying, we still don't know what all else was in that bag.

After thinking about it there may be a simple explanation for why the Cline farm was searched. I looked at the satellite images and this place is just south of where Asha lived along hwy 18. It's right where the highway turns to four lanes. If you believe the eye witness account then this is where she was last known to be. She was just right there at it. I think this is probably why LE went back there, to do a more thorough search and it's just that simple. Now the reason they did not tell the public about this search could just be so as not to undermine the sighting of the green car that they asked the public for help on. I don't believe it's a bad way to look at it. Either Asha's close to where she was last seen or she got in a vehicle. If she got in a vehicle it had to be right there at the farm. If she had continued walking we would have more eyewitnesses. It's most likely the very next person to come by is the one that got Asha and the next one after that is the one that saw it.
JMO.
So, if we knew where the sighting of Asha getting into the green car was at would it be right there at the four lanes and the farm? I'm guessing it would be.
They need to find that green car.

So, if we knew where the sighting of Asha getting into the green car was at would it be right there at the four lanes and the farm? I'm guessing it would be.
They need to find that green car.
rsbbm
1676998935417.png
1973 Lincoln Mark IV (Source: FBI)

1676998988788.png
1973 Ford Thunderbird (Source: FBI)
''CLEVELAND COUNTY, NC (WBTV) - New details have been released by the FBI in the disappearance of a Cleveland County girl. Asha Degree went missing on February 14, 2000.

The 9-year-old may have gotten into a dark green vehicle on the morning of her disappearance. Someone matching Asha's description was seen getting into a car on Highway 18 around the area where she was last seen. The vehicle is being described as an early 1970s Lincoln Mark IV or a Ford Thunderbird with rust around the wheel wells.

"This vehicle is right now considered a vehicle of interest, and it was occupied two times on the day of her disappearance," Cleveland County Sheriff Alan Norman said. "It had been discovered by leg work with by the sheriff office investigators along with the federal government."

"This vehicle is right now considered a vehicle of interest, and it was occupied two times on the day of her disappearance," Cleveland County Sheriff Alan Norman said. "It had been discovered by leg work with by the sheriff office investigators along with the federal government."
What the hell kind of statement is this? "It was occupied two times on the day of her disappearance"? Is that supposed to mean that there were two separate clues (ie witness statements) about the green thunderbird? And what is "leg work with by the sheriff office investigators along with the federal government"? Does that mean the information was uncovered separately by county sheriffs and FBI (possibly from the same source) or does it mean a joint investigation? Is this a misquote or just a terribly phrased statement?

What the hell kind of statement is this? "It was occupied two times on the day of her disappearance"? Is that supposed to mean that there were two separate clues (ie witness statements) about the green thunderbird? And what is "leg work with by the sheriff office investigators along with the federal government"? Does that mean the information was uncovered separately by county sheriffs and FBI (possibly from the same source) or does it mean a joint investigation? Is this a misquote or just a terribly phrased statement?

I think two occupants in the car was about the best we could come up with on that one.

Referencing this unrelated case because of what LE suggested regarding what happened with this missing boy's school items, fwiw.rbbm.

Oct 23rd 2016 rbbm
''The 13-year-old schoolboy left his home on the Ballyroan Road at about 1.30pm to go back to the school. He was never seen again.

A search was launched for Philip once it was discovered that he was missing. One week after his disappearance his schoolbag was found in a laneway close to his house.

It had been raining over the week and the schoolbag was dry and placed in a very visible spot, leading gardaí to believe to it had been planted.''

''RTÉ reported at the time that gardaí believed that a number of children may have been coerced into placing Philip’s bag in the laneway after his disappearance.''

Although I do believe that Asha was abducted once she left home- I think we should also ask ourselves why a young girl of 9 would leave her house in the middle of the night when it is raining and storming without wearing a coat or any other outdoor apparel. It's not unreasonable to think that something at home upset her and could have lead to her disappearance.

Thinking of sweet Asha and her family today.
How I wish we knew why she left home that night.

If she wouldn’t have left the road and ran into the woods, would she have continued on down that road? Was there anything of significance further down the road? I just wonder, did she mean to go off the road and into the shed where items of hers were found? Was that actually her destination? She could have been spooked and ran off the road because that’s where she was already planning to go and the two events had nothing to do with each other.

It’s surprising that she was able to sneak out of the house in the middle of the night, very quietly, alone, in the dark, in the cold, in the rain, not dressed for the weather so she must have been cold, but then a random car/driver acknowledging her caused her to get so scared? I agree that is scary, but none of the other things were scary enough to stop her? Is that some kind of a clue?

I wonder what she planned to do if she was caught trying to leave the house or what if her parents discovered she left and came looking for her. How would she have explained her actions? I just have to think there is some very big reason why she took that chance and left.

Was that shed a clubhouse of sorts that she had been to before. I believe another child would have come forward if was a clubhouse that kids visited. Is the shed a total red herring? Was she ever even really there?

The only reason I don't consider sleepwalking was the fact she packed a bookbag...
The pic of the unidentified girl found in the shed has always baffled me...who was she and why was that pic there among Ashas belongings?
And why wrap the bookbag and bury it...as if to preserve it?

The only reason I don't consider sleepwalking was the fact she packed a bookbag...
The pic of the unidentified girl found in the shed has always baffled me...who was she and why was that pic there among Ashas belongings?
And why wrap the bookbag and bury it...as if to preserve it?
I wonder if her bag was still packed from the sleepover she was at two nights before? Perhaps she never unpacked and just grabbed the bag and went. I could almost get behind the sleepwalking idea but then for some creep to grab her from there…that seems as unlikely as hitting the jackpot lottery twice, virtually impossible.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DannyRichard2006!
Back