NC NC - Blake Deven & London Deven, missing dates and ages are uncertain, FBI involved, Fayetteville

I am not saying this is what happened here but what if these children were rambunctious/hard to handle kids and the adoptive parents had an "adoption disruption."
I must be so naive. I had no idea this kind of thing went on. I'm sickened. Poor kids. As the "Nana" of adorable adopted boy & girl twins, I can't even imagine something like this happening to them. :(

Last edited:

May 11, 2024

Despite the impassioned pleas of Leonie Maxwell's daughter, Avantae Deven, a judge on Thursday granted an emergency petition giving the Cumberland County Department of Social Services control over medical decisions for the gravely ill 95-year-old whose two adopted grandchildren have been missing for years

In a call to 911 on Jan. 19, Deven told dispatchers she last saw her adopted son, who would have been 15 at the time, as he was leaving for a Buddhist retreat.

Blake was listed as a runaway for months, but on March 20, police were called to the home for a suicidal subject.

In the March 20 call to 911, a 15-year-old boy — presumably another of Deven's adopted children — tells the dispatcher he wants to harm himself.

"My brother, he's been punching me and teasing me all day and right now I'm feeling very suicidal," the teen said.

"Is anyone in danger right now?" the dispatcher asked.

"No— except for me," the boy replied.

"OK, How do you plan to kill yourself?" the dispatcher responds.

"I was planning on taking some pills from my mom and taking them," the teen said.

Eight days later, police issued a news release stating: "While conducting interviews in a separate police investigation, several members of Blake's family reported they have not seen him in several years."

The Department of Social Services stated in the motion that Cape Fear Valley Medical Center had been unable to reach Deven to discuss "necessary medical decisions" for her mother who was on a ventilator and feeding tube in the hospital intensive care unit after suffering a stroke and resulting brain injury in November.

While the evidence presented Thursday happened while the courtroom was closed to the public, the judge reopened the court for final argument and recounted the facts before handing down his decision giving DSS control.

The judge noted that Deven said the hospital had difficulty reaching her because she was forced to stay at a hotel for days as police conducted at least four searches at her Berriedale Drive home. She was also forced to turn over her cellphones, the judge said. He said Deven claimed that her mother's grave condition was the fault of an in-home healthcare nurse who fell asleep on shift.

Deven, who was animated throughout the ruling, expressed displeasure with the judge's decision and tried to persuade him to reconsider.

"I am 100% available right now. I will be (at the hospital) every day," she told Jordan. "I will have my phone on my chest."

Long article -- more at link.

While the evidence presented Thursday happened while the courtroom was closed to the public, the judge reopened the court for final argument and recounted the facts before handing down his decision giving DSS control.

Jordan said the evidence showed that Maxwell was hospitalized after her stroke and was discharged to her daughter's home in February. Eleven days later, Maxwell was readmitted to the hospital and put into the ICU with pressure wounds, swelling, dehydration and sepsis from a urinary tract infection. DSS has said that Maxwell was nonresponsive and unable to communicate.

Jordan said the hospital had tried repeatedly to contact Deven concerning her mother's care but was unsuccessful.

"I've done everything. I'm very competent to take care of my mother."

But Jordan was unswayed, noting that the investigation into the missing family members would take away from Deven's ability to make decisions for her mother.

Im absolutely open to anything as more facts come out but I’m having a hard time convicting the adopted parent of anything criminal with the limited information we know right now.

Based on what we know now, I would agree. It's very weird and I feel pessimistic about what we'll eventually learn, but at this point it's just weird and possibly negligent.

Im absolutely open to anything as more facts come out but I’m having a hard time convicting the adopted parent of anything criminal with the limited information we know right now.
I don't know, it's hard to look past the fact that human remains were found in the search for the missing children.

From the May 11 Fayetteville Observer article:

"Officials announced on April 12 that human skeletal remains were found during the search for the missing siblings. Police would not say when and where the bones were recovered but revealed that Deven's current Berriedale Drive home and her previous home on Eichelberger Drive were among at least four locations searched."

I don't know, it's hard to look past the fact that human remains were found in the search for the missing children.

"Officials announced on April 12 that human skeletal remains were found during the search for the missing siblings. Police would not say when and where the bones were recovered but revealed that Deven's current Berriedale Drive home and her previous home on Eichelberger Drive were among at least four locations searched."
We haven’t been told anything about the remains other than that they exist. We need to know who, when and how before we start accusing people of murder. It could be any manner of death - accidental, homicide or suicide. It could be someone not even in the Deven family. We just don’t know yet so I’m going to reserve judgement until we are told this person is a POI by law enforcement.

I think the author is being a bit cute about it by not mentioning that Fayetteville PD explicitly said "the remains were not located at the Deven home on Berriedale Drive".

As weird as all of the stuff is surrounding Avantae Deven, I think it's still notable that LE has not called her a POI, nor have they publicly made anything of how obviously bizarre it is that an adoptive mother would just not know where her minor child is.

I'm sorry but I'm having trouble understanding why some people are not concerned about the fact that this woman, who had the responsability and duty of reporting her underage son missing, took a year to do so and couldn't even remember when she last saw him. When was a case like this one ever ended on a good note? She only reported him missing because LE started asking questions about another case, she knew it was only a matter of time until LE realized that neither Blake or London have been seen for years.

Saying that she might not be responsible is wild. Then who is responsible for Blake? By her accounts, he went missing when he was 16. She had the responsability to report him missing. This is not normal or acceptable.

I'm sorry but I'm having trouble understanding why some people are not concerned about the fact that this woman, who had the responsability and duty of reporting her underage son missing, took a year to do so and couldn't even remember when she last saw him. When was a case like this one ever ended on a good note? She only reported him missing because LE started asking questions about another case, she knew it was only a matter of time until LE realized that neither Blake or London have been seen for years.

Saying that she might not be responsible is wild. Then who is responsible for Blake? By her accounts, he went missing when he was 16. She had the responsability to report him missing. This is not normal or acceptable.
Who isn’t concerned? Who called it normal or acceptable?

I haven’t seen that at all in this thread.

Eight days later, police issued a news release stating: "While conducting interviews in a separate police investigation, several members of Blake's family reported they have not seen him in several years."

Then, seven days after announcing Blake was missing, authorities said London was also missing.
[snip]
The motion also notes the need for an emergency order exists because "FBI agents have been to (Maxwell's) hospital room to question her with regard to her daughter/current caregiver's children and their mysterious disappearance."
[snip]
Jordan said the evidence showed that Maxwell was hospitalized after her stroke and was discharged to her daughter's home in February. Eleven days later, Maxwell was readmitted to the hospital and put into the ICU with pressure wounds, swelling, dehydration and sepsis from a urinary tract infection. DSS has said that Maxwell was nonresponsive and unable to communicate.
Adoptive mother of missing Fayetteville siblings loses battle to keep control of mom's care

um, so much at the article.so authorities get a suicidal call from 15 year old in the household on March 10. An investigation is opened into that and somehow, Blake, who hasn't been seen in years "comes up" in the conversation, prompting him to be considered a missing person, rather than the runaway Ava reported him to be in January. To be a fly on the wall. I am curious how the topic of a missing for years adopted sibling comes up in the conversation with a suicidal youth, who was ostensibly upset at his treatment by a different sibling?

How on earth does Ava think her mother's clearly deteriorating state and lack of care over the course of eleven days of her loving and attentive care at home illustrates her ability to be 100% there for her mother?? pfft

Where is Blake? Where is London?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drena519
Back