Deceased/Not Found NC - Christopher 'Cole' Thomas, 22, Benson, 25 Nov 2016 *Arrests*

2 suspects in Cole Thomas case released from jail on bond

cache.php

BENSON, N.C. (WNCN) – Two of the men charged in the disappearance of Cole Thomas has been released from jail after posting bond.

Julian Valles Jr., of Dudley, and Rudolfo DeLeon Jr., of Mt. Olive are both out of jail after posting bond last week, Johnston County officials confirmed.

http://wncn.com/2018/02/01/2-suspects-in-cole-thomas-case-bond-out-of-jail/

This is disappointing to say the least. I hope there is a murder charge before any of these guys 'disappear.'

Where are you, Cole?

This was from March 6, 2018:

Smithfield, N.C. — Two of the four suspects in the 2016 disappearance of a man in Benson asked a judge to lower their bonds on Tuesday. Two other suspects are already out of jail on bond after a judge lowered them in January.
Julian Valles Jr., of Dudley, Anthony Ridell James Jr., of Mount Olive, Rudolfo DeLeon Jr., of Mount Olive and Jeremy Carpenter are charged in connection with the disappearance of Cole Thomas. The four men have been charged with felony concealment of a death, while Valles, James and Carpenter also face obstruction of justice charges.
https://www.wral.com/bond-lowered-suspects-in-cole-thomas-case-likely-to-go-free/17397041/

Are there any more recent updates?

The private investigator who found Lucas Hernandez's body is on this case now.

" Marshburn brought closure to the Kansas family, but his work hasn't stopped.

The Smithfield-based agency is now working on the disappearance of Cole Thomas, who went missing Thanksgiving weekend in 2016 in Johnston County.

Marshburn says they're getting close to some results. "

The Smithfield-based agency is now working on the disappearance of Cole Thomas, who went missing Thanksgiving weekend in 2016 in Johnston County.

This is promising news. Marshburn has a good record of finding the missing.

The timing of Cole's disappearance coincides with a terrible event of this magnitude in my own life- am grateful that his case happened to be taken on & very interested in following the progress here for what may be learned. So often young men vanish under obviously dangerous circumstances but are presumed safe under their own ability :(

Back to my own body hunt for now.

Yes, Margarita - that's why I'm here too - DM!

Gardener said:

This link doesn't work of me... got "new" rules now:

Message I get:
Welcome to our website.

We are a local media company based in Raleigh, North Carolina, USA. We have detected that you are in one of the member countries of the European Union or European Free Trade Association, which is now subject to the General Data Protection Regulation.

We are currently assessing methods for complying with the detailed requirements of GDPR. Currently, only about 2 percent of our website traffic originates from EU and EFTA countries.

Until we are able to ensure our full compliance with the rigorous GDPR requirements, we are blocking access from EU and EFTA countries to our websites, which include wral.com, wralsportsfan.com, highschoolot.com and wraltechwire.com. We take the GDPR seriously. Penalties for GDPR violations are as high as 4 percent of a publisher's annual revenue.

We hope to restore access soon as we work through the administrative, legal and technical requirements involved with GDPR compliance. We apologize for the temporary inconvenience.

If you believe you have received this message in error, please send your IP address to support@wral.com. You can retrieve your IP address by going to whatismyipaddress.com.
Send feedback to support@wral.com.

Did the other two get out on bond? or are they still there in jail?
TIA!

and.... unfortunately another court site I can't get into. Any help will be appreciated! :) Johnston County, I believe. TIA!! on this one too!

I'm not finding any updates after the March 6 WRAL article (other than the one that says Marshburn is working the case now) but here are some additional quotes:

On Tuesday, Superior Court Judge Tom Lock lowered Carpenter's bond from $500,000 to $75,000. The judge said the time he has been in jail exceeds the amount of time he would have been in prison if convicted on the charges he is facing.

The bond amount for James was lowered from $30,000 to $3,000. It was previously lowered in January from $200,000 to $30,000.

Valles was released from the county jail on Jan. 25, several hours after Lock sharply lowered his bond from $750,000 to $50,000. The bond amount for DeLeon was lowered to $40,000 from $500,000, and he, too, bonded out.
Bond lowered, suspects in Cole Thomas case likely to go free :: WRAL.com

BBM. So have confirmation that 2 of the 4 suspects bonded out and the other 2 likely bonded out but no MSM updates that I could find. Sorry, I'm not good and figuring out how to get into court records.

JMO
Just reading this case for the first time I think.
Feel sadness.

Its so easy in life to make a wrong decision and get in danger from people trying to take advantage of you or worse.

Its sad that we cannot really trust anyone unless they are very close relatives or very close friends and even then we have to have our guard up.

Im saddened by this case and just hope he can be found. And justice is done to anyone who had a hand in him going missing.

I'm confused, I thought Marshburn was already investigating Cole's case?

Thanks Gardener for linking Cole’s thread. I haven’t popped into Coles thread for a while.
If they travelled from Mt Olive to Bensen with a large time gap between what is everyone’s thoughts on this. 2 of the guys arrested I note live in Mt Olive. Could they have travelled in 2 cars to the bank. Or travelled to Bensen and back to Mt Olive again and back to Bensen to set the scene.
We have a couple young men missing in Aus with the same story - jumped out of car and run into bush. This story is so wrong and yet they seem to have a hard time disproving it.

Last edited:
Thanks Gardener for linking Cole’s thread. I haven’t popped into Coles thread for a while.
If they travelled from Mt Olive to Bensen with a large time gap between what is everyone’s thoughts on this. 2 of the guys arrested I note live in Mt Olive. Could they have travelled in 2 cars to the bank. Or travelled to Bensen and back to Mt Olive again and back to Bensen to set the scene.
We have a couple young men missing in Aus with the same story - jumped out of car and run into bush. This story is so wrong and yet they seem to have a hard time disproving it.

We have a few cases, some quite old, where the MP allegedly jumped out of the car, usually in the middle of or after an argument, never to be seen again. That seems to be the "go to" explanation, right up there with, "I woke up and they were gone" one.

If you have the time, the private investigator, David Marshburn, has a Facebook page that's an interesting read. I'm not a Facebook participant, but I'm pretty sure it was linked in this thread, I've tried to link but not succesful. Sry. As others have noted, we all have our strengths and our weaknesses. DM appears to be very good at finding missing persons and what happened to them, however, IMO he would benefit by running his FB posts by an editor before posting, and I say this to not run him down, but in admiration for his hard work at locating the missing people he's located.

For those just reading Cole's thread for the first time here is the "Find Cole Thomas" facebook page run by his dad: Find Cole Thomas

Marshburn has been working on the case since as least Jan from posts on the fb.

Quoting myself to add that it was around Oct 12, 2017 that PI David Marshburn posted a series of updates on this case that were shared on the Find Cole Thomas facebook. I couldn't remember when these were posted before. I thought we had more discussion of DM's posts in this thread but I'm not seeing much discussion now, some posts may have been removed due to TOS. For those who are new to Cole's case I recommend going back to October and finding Marshburn's posts about the investigation on the Find Cole fb. The posts are very long and rambling, but also very informative. Not sure how much we are allowed to discuss or if we can link to Marshburn's fb where he posted the posts originally. I will flag this post to ask if we can link directly to Marshburn's fb posts as that would be easier.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blondeboricua
Back