GUILTY NC - Dr. James Boyd, 47, found strangled, Salisbury, 26 June 2008

Sounds like gangbangers or wannabes. Home invasion while he was home after she knew he was drunk or on drugs perhaps? It sounds planned and personal.

To those types...he had target written all over him. He was the one with the money, the nice electronics, and had someone who knew the layout of his house. She helped set him up.

A 47 y.o. dentist who had never had any disciplinary action or criminal record supplies a ( then) 22 year old mother of 2 ( now mother of 3) Hydrocodone for ONE YEAR. Dr. Boyd helped ruin her life and turn her into an addict.
Her family and fiance' knew. Her step father is quoted, but I see nothing about a mother in the articles.

I'm thinking that the girl and the dentist had more than a drug supplier/ drug buyer relationship. He was abusing script writing, and was under investigation for it, but I think they had a personal relationship going on. He even loaned her money for an apartment recently. Not the actions of a script-writing dentist who just wanted to make money on the side. I think she was blackmailing him and may also have been a key witness against him in the SBI investigation into the improper prescribing of controlled substances. For all we know, the dentist did pick her up, take her home and rape her ( unable to consent to sexual relations due to intoxication/ drug use).
I think her BF and his cousin murdered the dentist. I doubt she was in a condition to do anything, plus she is a tiny girl. 5' 1'' and looks very thin in the recent photo.
I'm not saying that anyone deserves to be tied up and murdered, but he certainly seemed to be a rotten person in every sense of the word. Goes to show that we never know what lurks behind the surface of another person's life.

Sad and tragic for all of them.
Maria

Sounds like gangbangers or wannabes. Home invasion while he was home after she knew he was drunk or on drugs perhaps? It sounds planned and personal.

To those types...he had target written all over him. He was the one with the money, the nice electronics, and had someone who knew the layout of his house. She helped set him up.

I don't think so in this case, SS. Did you read this article?
http://www.salisburypost.com/Area/062808-murder-drye-family

The dentist was going to pay for her apartment. They had a personal relationship for a year, it seems. Him giving her money recently sounds like maybe she was getting ready to tell his wife or the authorities what was going on. He treated her for a toothache, gave her Hydrocodone, got her addicted, and was her supplier/ lover.
I don't see the two men who killed him as gangbangers. It was a personally motivated crime. A very angry boyfriend;s brother and his cousin in the middle of the night- probably a rage kill. I think she was probably too wasted to do anything to hurt him. She is very tiny. What could she do without a weapon?

It's my understanding that the two young men weren't there to steal his electronics, although it is said that some items from the house may be missing. I don't know what- maybe Candace took some jewelry. Her step dad has said maybe she stole something from the house while she was there that night drinking it up with the dentist in his house. They used the cords from electronics inside the home to tie him up and perhaps also to strangle him. It says that Candace had been in the house that night and had been hurt by her drug dealing dentist. She said she was raped and she had bruises.

It's all strange, any way you look at it. Where was the dentist's wife and children while he was drinking with and possibly raping the girl he got addicted to drugs,Candace? Where was his family while he was killed?

I read something about her having bruises on her arms. Have they said if they were bruises she may have gotten in an assault or bruises she may have gotten injecting drugs. If this girl had a drug problem, it usually doesn't take long before it escalates to that point.

More details...

Investigators say that while Boyd slept before 4:30 a.m. the morning of his death, three people simply walked into the home, gathered Boyd’s high-end electronics, walked upstairs, bound the dentist to the bed with electrical wire and killed him.

http://news14.com/content/top_stories/597003/details-emerge-in-murder-of-dentist/Default.aspx

According to this article the third person arrested is the brother of the girls boyfriend :confused:
has the boyfriend also been arrested? I haven't found it in any of the articles posted. Maybe I missed it. Strange his brother would be involved, but not him, since he's the boyfriend.

According to this article the third person arrested is the brother of the girls boyfriend :confused:
has the boyfriend also been arrested? I haven't found it in any of the articles posted. Maybe I missed it. Strange his brother would be involved, but not him, since he's the boyfriend.

Gosh, you are right. All of the Boyd names are confusing. One of the perps is the BF's brother, and the BF is not in the group. I wonder if the BF wasn't also involved. Maybe he has an ongoing plea agreement in the works....
I noticed in some articles, it's stated that the BF Boyd's mother was the one who picked Candace up the AM after the murder.. So where WAS the BF and why didn't he bring her home after she got drunk at the dentist's house with the dentist?

We don't know much about him other than he has a mother who is aware of Candace's addiction, he is said to be the father of her three children, and he lived with Candace at her step-parents' home. IF I have all the Boyd names right this time, that is, :). This is one more messed up case.
Maria

I'm wondering what part the girl has in the crime?? I haven't seen anything that incriminates her yet.

The bruises could also be from her boyfriend. I believe there were domestic calls to his home on several occasions both against him and against her. This is a case where it's hard to feel sympathy for any of the active participants. I feel bad for all the children involved and the dentist's wife.

It's like something right out of an x-rated movie. I feel so very sorry for the wife and kids. I can very well believe that this has completely blind-sided them. You know, sometimes we don't see things that are right there under our noses. Poor, poor things.

And them the boys that did it...The Boyd kid - having to watch his father kill the family puppy right in front of them. And then the mom was an accessory to the dad's murder. God - some people's lives are so screwed - right from the get-go. I am not excusing what these "kids" did - still I don't condemn them "much more" than I do the dentist. It's just a sad waste of lives all the way around....

The Boyd kid - having to watch his father kill the family puppy right in front of them. And then the mom was an accessory to the dad's murder.

cathieq, where are you reading this? I must have missed it!

It's like something right out of an x-rated movie. I feel so very sorry for the wife and kids. I can very well believe that this has completely blind-sided them. You know, sometimes we don't see things that are right there under our noses. Poor, poor things.

And them the boys that did it...The Boyd kid - having to watch his father kill the family puppy right in front of them. And then the mom was an accessory to the dad's murder. God - some people's lives are so screwed - right from the get-go. I am not excusing what these "kids" did - still I don't condemn them "much more" than I do the dentist. It's just a sad waste of lives all the way around....

i have no clue what you're talking about. nothing has ever been said about the father killing the family puppy in front of them nor anything about the mom being accessory to the dad's murder. i'm local and have been watching this on my local news channel.

I didn't see this part :confused:

http://www.salisburypost.com/Area/070108-Boyd-murder-first-appearance

...Stephen and Christopher Boyd have known violence in their family. Their mother, Opal Fern Boyd, was convicted in 1992 of participating in the beating death of her husband, Earl Boyd. She pleaded to a charge of accessory after the fact. Prior to his death, Earl Boyd forced his family to watch as he hanged his children's pet puppy. His body was found near Lake Concord in a secluded area...

http://www.salisburypost.com/Area/070108-Boyd-murder-first-appearance

...Stephen and Christopher Boyd have known violence in their family. Their mother, Opal Fern Boyd, was convicted in 1992 of participating in the beating death of her husband, Earl Boyd. She pleaded to a charge of accessory after the fact. Prior to his death, Earl Boyd forced his family to watch as he hanged his children's pet puppy. His body was found near Lake Concord in a secluded area...

okay, they're no relation to the dentist. had me confused there. thought you meant the dentist killed the puppy in front of his kids and his wife had something to do with his murder.

My local news is saying that dentist was involved with the woman, giving her pills in exchange for sex. Have not heard anything about the dentist being married, was he? I thought it sounded like he lived alone?

booradley, He was married to a dentist. Her office was in the building next to his. They have three kids, I think. The whole family was on a beach vacation. He came home a few days early. The wife and family came home after they were notified about his murder.

What idiots. So, it is the girl, her boyfriend's brother and his cousin that are charged with murdering the dentist. They went to rob him. What I don't understand is how the two guys got into the house. When the dentist called Drye's father, it sounded like it was just her there and she was drunk.

What idiots. So, it is the girl, her boyfriend's brother and his cousin that are charged with murdering the dentist. They went to rob him. What I don't understand is how the two guys got into the house. When the dentist called Drye's father, it sounded like it was just her there and she was drunk.
But I don't understand...I thought the boyfriends mother picked up the girl walking from the house?? I wonder if she was even a part of the murder? Why wouldn't she just ride with the bf and cousin if they were @ the dentist house?? Plus, the dentist was alive to be able to call someone to come get the girl....I wonder what the timeline is here:waitasec:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blondeboricua
Back