NC - Erica Lynn Parsons, 13, Rowan County, 19 Nov 2011 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent article from the very dedicated reporter Shavonne Potts from the Salisbury Post. This one is great especially for people new to the case.

David Whisenant WBTV ‏@DavidWhisenant 3h
A really good nuts and bolts look at the #ericaparsons story from start to where we are now. Nice work @SalPostPotts http://www.salisburypost.com/articl...84/newsmaker-of-the-year-who-is-erica-parsons …

Newsmaker of the Year: Who is Erica Parsons?
Shavonne Potts - Salisbury Post
http://www.salisburypost.com/articl...84/newsmaker-of-the-year-who-is-erica-parsons

TheCheese, I am constantly in awe of you and your ability to stay up with the latest news on cases.

Just wanted to thank you again. Th recent article you have posted is really good.

I'm so glad to see Erica's story is still alive even though I think the child is dead.

I too feel she has been long dead and feel pretty strongly as to who is responsible for that.

I wish this child could have received half the attention in life as she is getting now but I am so pleased that her case has not been forgotten.

Still many people following, awaiting answers. Dave W. and the Updates on Erica FB page the news org started have been truly amazing at keeping the updates coming and our girl in the public eye. Really appreciate that fella. In the absence of her adoptive parents doing squat to assist in this effort, he has done a fabulous job of keeping Erica's name and face out there.

I'm so glad to see Erica's story is still alive even though I think the child is dead.

Sadly, I agree. I wanted to believe that she was "re-homed" or something like that, but have come to the conclusion that she is most likely dead.

I would really like to see charges brought against Casey and Sandy.

This case gives me horrific Zahra Baker vibes. Right down the smug, smirking, thinks she can get away with anything she wants mother figure to the ineffective, lets the woman handle the childrearing and run the show, never has to be accountable father figure.

makes me ill and reopens all those wounds Zahra's case inflicted on my soul.

Excellent article from the very dedicated reporter Shavonne Potts from the Salisbury Post. This one is great especially for people new to the case.

David Whisenant WBTV ‏@DavidWhisenant 3h
A really good nuts and bolts look at the #ericaparsons story from start to where we are now. Nice work @SalPostPotts http://www.salisburypost.com/articl...84/newsmaker-of-the-year-who-is-erica-parsons …

Newsmaker of the Year: Who is Erica Parsons?
Shavonne Potts - Salisbury Post
http://www.salisburypost.com/articl...84/newsmaker-of-the-year-who-is-erica-parsons

This is a great summary of Erica's case. The vignette of Erica's personality as described by Detective Clint Mauldin is right on the money.

Mauldin, who investigates the sheriff’s office special victims’ crimes, spoke recently with a Post reporter. He said, based on statements from those who know Erica, she was very outgoing, but at the same time, very timid and shy.

Mauldin said Erica “acted very sheltered around certain family members,” and clung to “those who showed her certain types of affection.”

I too feel she has been long dead and feel pretty strongly as to who is responsible for that.

I wish this child could have received half the attention in life as she is getting now but I am so pleased that her case has not been forgotten.

Still many people following, awaiting answers. Dave W. and the Updates on Erica FB page the news org started have been truly amazing at keeping the updates coming and our girl in the public eye. Really appreciate that fella. In the absence of her adoptive parents doing squat to assist in this effort, he has done a fabulous job of keeping Erica's name and face out there.

Pretty ironic you referred to her as "our girl." My thoughts as I came to this thread was "Ive got to check on my girl." We would all take this child under our wing if we could. She has really grown on us.

Found myself driving through Rowan County today on the way back from my boyfriend's parents' house upstate (sidenote: now I know it's pronounced SAWLsbury). We ended up getting gas somewhere that was 6 or so miles from some streets of interest in this case. If I had been alone you betcha I would've driven around more out of sadness and curiosity.

The area is surprisingly rural. I say surprisingly because I live off the same highway (85), but in Georgia, which definitely has its share of desolate spots. I just couldn't help but notice so many sights of unfortunate interest.. unkept wooded areas between large lots of private property, abandoned shacks, burnt out schoolbuses, a granite quarry.. if Erica was killed she could be anywhere right now without ever having left her own county. :(

I posted a much longer comment about this before the internet ate it, but Casey's "if they had found something" comment may as well have been a confession in terms of pushing me off my fence. She's following the same logic in choosing her words as I (and many other former and current middle schoolers) did when simultaneously denying something and belittling/manipulating the person asking. Think about it, would you ever respond to something in such a manner if you were innocent? A one-word answer suffices in the absence of guilt, which the guilty have to make up for because the guilty don't even believe themselves.

Bettiepageturner,

I agree with what you wrote about Casey's response. Jmo but you are right on about her belittling the person asking the questions! Jmo it seems to be a pattern with her, that not only are her lies ridiculous but when they are challenged (questioned), she twists the question to cast aspersion on the topic (Erica, whose fault it is for creating the difficult situation) and make a personal attack on the questioner (don't YOU think... -it is an attack on the intelligence or common sense of that individual). Hence the victim-blaming and the whole attitude of "me against the world," ie a grand conspiracy of everyone to make Casey and sandy miserable. Jmo, of course.

something JUST struck me, after all this time, Casey’s parents, Shirley and James Stone, also declined to speak with the Post. James Stone has said Erica was mean, “Jamie was always after her,” and that she and “Jamie were always fighting.” Stone said Jamie was also mean.

derp.

Was this something he observed? Or is this the BS he was told by his daughter to explain injuries and punishments he was seeing or hearing about?

Pretty ironic you referred to her as "our girl." My thoughts as I came to this thread was "Ive got to check on my girl." We would all take this child under our wing if we could. She has really grown on us.

tlcya and concernedmother, Your references of "our girl" and "my girl" really struck home with me too. We live a couple hours east of Rowan county and am familiar with the area. My husband knows about my sleuthing here but the only case he has ever really gotten interested in is this one. Every few days, he asks if there is any news on "our girl" from Rowan county. He has even watched the Dr Phil show and other recorded interviews. When I'm out and about, I look at all dark haired young teens to see if they might be Erica. We would take her in here to live on our farm with our real horses in a heartbeat.

I'll bet there are many more who feel that Erica belongs to them. Maybe because of the issue of adoption or maybe compassion for a child whose life was miserable with the "parents" who were supposed to love her as a part of their family.

:hug: JaneDoe

thank you :blushing:

I have the challenge of working with someone/some-two who, although they aren't criminals, have the same, um, conversational habits (? is that a nice way to say it?) as I think Casey does. A specific example...the guy I work with, let's call him R, is not very open with his work. In my case I work in a lab so among ourselves we are constantly batting ideas around. When we run experiments we enter and graph our data every day and just by virtue of being around each other while we do this we all know how each other's experiments are going and we can ask each other questions about what we are doing, etc. But R doesn't do this, so literally the first time we see his data is when he is presenting it at a lab or project meeting or at his department seminar. That is the first chance we have to ask him the same questions that we ask each other in the comfort and privacy of the lab. And I have made the mistake of asking him those questions and I got a talking-to from my adviser afterwards...saying that he felt like I was being rude to him, trying to make him look stupid, etc. etc. IE it wasn't R's fault for being unprepared for the question (or not having addressed the question in his experiment), it was MY fault because I ASKED it! And that was even MORE egregious because I'd had the audacity to ask it in front of other people...so the narrative became that I was trying to make him look bad in front of our superiors!

Sorry to go off on a tangent which isn't totally analogous to the Casey thing, but it kind of is...just in terms of blaming the question-er. Like I really feel like Casey would blame this entire mess (in terms of the uncomfortable scrutiny and tough questions) on 2 people: 1) Erica, because if she hadn't "made" the situation that invited scrutiny, no one would be asking in the first place, and 2) these mean, nosy people who are just picking on her by asking her totally legit, normal questions. (2) is the one I can relate to - it is a very blatant and unsophisticated (IMO!) strategy that can really just put an end to all productive dialogue. In my experience one way for this to happen is that it has the effect of putting the questioner on the defensive - his/her integrity or intelligence is questioned and (IMOO, my own experience) that can bring emotion into play, in addition to the fact that you (the questioner) may now feel obligated to justify your questions and/or your right to ask them. (The roles are reversed.) The truth is, though, that for some people, no justification or defense will ever be sufficient. (This is what happened in my personal example...R didn't give 2 chits that I gave a scientific rationale for my question about his, y'know, science, or my explanation that I was asking him the exact same questions I would ask any colleague, etc etc.) S/he (Casey eg) will keep twisting it around on you! And unfortunately this "conversation style," although I called it unsophisticated, can be very effective because in the meantime you (questioner) have become entangled in a war of words about your right to ask - meanwhile, the questions themselves go unanswered.

I believe it is SmoothOperator who has the tagline "The quickest way to become a fool is to argue with one." Everyone on these threads has comment on the fantastical logic of Casey's, um, tales, so I will leave that aside...but the quote applies to this matter of the interview as well. I know in my experience that when I was belittled for questioning, I felt the need to explain, and before I knew it I was knee-deep in bs because it was like we were talking past each other. You cannot win when the person you're talking to starts from the assumption that s/he is always right and anyone who questions it is a big old meanie! (GAG!) You will just go round and round in circles in a quagmire of BS.

JMO and again great observation to the person who posted about Casey doing this.

Not to mention the way LE dropped the ball so badly on Elaina Steinfurth--IIRC, volunteer cadaver dogs hit outside a detached garage *on the property where she was last seen* but they didn't bother searching the garage very well because it was dirty and full of junk. The little girl's body was in a computer box in the rafters and LE only found this out when one of the killers finally cracked and confessed. But the body had been RIGHT THERE and the dogs (albeit not official LE dogs) hit. LE just didn't want to deal with the mess in the garage so they glanced around and left.

I know !!
My heart just dropped when the news hit they found that sweet baby.

And I documented just about everything that anybody said or did early in the Steinfurth case and it was repeated over and over again that Steven King ran out that back door, and claimed he was searching the garage and back yard, and even his own mother tried to cover for him claiming she also ran out the back door with him hunting for Elaina. And LE did MULTIPLE searches in that house even in the weeks to follow, and yet they never went into the garage.

When we look back at Erica's case, LE was lucky as hell to get that search warrant on August 14th on the Miller Chapel house while the Parsons were basking in the California sun being interviewed for the Dr. Phil Show. By the end of August, the Parsons completely moved out of the house, lock, stock and barrel so if there was ever a chance for a second search warrant at that address, it was impossible that everything was the same as it was two weeks earlier.

But I do have faith in Rowan County LE knowing they've done multiple searches on the Grandparents Sutton Rd house on that shed, as well as a consent search on at least one other property that we know of. And there is a Grand Jury in session and there was a custody trial, and now we still got the custody verdict coming up, hopefully this month. And from what I can tell, the media is not letting this case go cold.

:goodpost:

glad to see you come out of lurkdom and voice your thoughts on Erica's case.

:welcome:

Look forward to more from you in future.

Thank you for the warm welcome! I keep hoping they'll find Erica, as well as all the others that are missing. Kyron is how I got involved in following these cases, as he disappeared in my neck of the woods. I appreciate that you keep his name out there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justiceskrs