NC NC - Gordon Kaye, 68, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, 23 Apr 2023 *experienced hiker, camper, & hunter, reserved campsite for 14 days*

PommyMommy

#ShinelikeShanann
Reaction score
www.wyff4.com

Search underway for missing hiker in the Carolinas, park rangers say

[...]

Rangers are looking for 68-year-old Gordon Kaye, of Tampa, FL. He was last seen near a backcountry campsite on Sunday, April 23. His family reported him missing on April 26.

According to park rangers, search teams are focusing on trails and areas in and around the Deep Creek Campground.

[...]

Anyone who saw Kaye or has information about his whereabouts is asked to please contact Great Smoky Mountains National Park Dispatch at 865-436-1230 or Swain County Dispatch at 828-488-2196.

Multiple agencies search for missing man in Great Smoky Mountains

Officials say Kaye has brown hair and blue eyes, weighs around 200 lbs., and is five feet, 10 inches tall.

Kaye is an experienced hiker, camper, and hunter who had reserved a campsite at Deep Creek Campground for 14 days, officials say.

Last edited:
[...]

Search and rescue crews are focusing their efforts on trails and areas in and around the Deep Creek Campground of GSMNP, as Kaye had reserved a campsite there for 14 days.

A GSMNP spokesperson said crews are prepared to continue search operations on Monday, May 1.

6f7d7827-85d3-4251-9656-24ea8d386da7-medium16x9_KayeSARteambriefingphotocourtesyTomColsonNPS.jpg

More than 120 people from 29 agencies and three states are helping the National Park Service in the search:
  • South Orange Rescue Squad
  • Swain County Emergency Management and EMS
  • Chattanooga Hamilton Rescue Squad
  • Cherokee Fire and Rescue
  • Graham County Emergency Management
  • Appalachian Mountain Rescue Team, Swain County Rescue
  • Spartanburg County Rescue Squad
  • Haywood County Search and Rescue
  • Haywood County Emergency Management
  • North Carolina Emergency Management
  • North Carolina Wildlife
  • Asheville Fire Department
  • BUSAR
  • Haywood County Incident Management Team
  • Cherokee County Emergency Management
  • Henderson County Rescue Squad
  • Jackson County Rescue Squad
  • Cullowhee Fire and Rescue
  • Qualla Fire Department
  • Linville Central Rescue Squad
  • Knoxville Police Department
  • Graham County Rescue Squad
  • South Carolina Search and Rescue
  • South Carolina Pride Search Dog Team
  • Ash Rande Rescue
  • Cherokee County Search and Rescue
  • Cowee Fire
  • North Carolina Forest Service

There's not really a lot of info about Gordon and the circumstances. Who last saw him on April 23? Is his camping gear still in the campground? Do they know where his vehicle is? Was he camping by himself? Does he typically hike by himself?
Does he have a cell phone with him?

There's not really a lot of info about Gordon and the circumstances. Who last saw him on April 23? Is his camping gear still in the campground? Do they know where his vehicle is? Was he camping by himself? Does he typically hike by himself?
Does he have a cell phone with him?
I don't think we have answers to any of those questions yet. According to the National Park Service, this may be MH related. :(

On April 30 the National Park Service sent out an update ...

.... He may be suffering from a mental health crisis, according to the news statement.

I don't think we have answers to any of those questions yet. According to the National Park Service, this may be MH related. :(

.... He may be suffering from a mental health crisis, according to the news statement.
Oh how sad! He’s been missing 7 days, gonna get cold and windy tonight.

[...]

Search and rescue crews are focusing their efforts on trails and areas in and around the Deep Creek Campground of GSMNP, as Kaye had reserved a campsite there for 14 days.

A GSMNP spokesperson said crews are prepared to continue search operations on Monday, May 1.

6f7d7827-85d3-4251-9656-24ea8d386da7-medium16x9_KayeSARteambriefingphotocourtesyTomColsonNPS.jpg

More than 120 people from 29 agencies and three states are helping the National Park Service in the search:
  • South Orange Rescue Squad
  • Swain County Emergency Management and EMS
  • Chattanooga Hamilton Rescue Squad
  • Cherokee Fire and Rescue
  • Graham County Emergency Management
  • Appalachian Mountain Rescue Team, Swain County Rescue
  • Spartanburg County Rescue Squad
  • Haywood County Search and Rescue
  • Haywood County Emergency Management
  • North Carolina Emergency Management
  • North Carolina Wildlife
  • Asheville Fire Department
  • BUSAR
  • Haywood County Incident Management Team
  • Cherokee County Emergency Management
  • Henderson County Rescue Squad
  • Jackson County Rescue Squad
  • Cullowhee Fire and Rescue
  • Qualla Fire Department
  • Linville Central Rescue Squad
  • Knoxville Police Department
  • Graham County Rescue Squad
  • South Carolina Search and Rescue
  • South Carolina Pride Search Dog Team
  • Ash Rande Rescue
  • Cherokee County Search and Rescue
  • Cowee Fire
  • North Carolina Forest Service
It’s amazing to see the amount of volunteers assisting in the search.

I’m just seeing this on local news and glad for the turnout to help. With him being experienced, I’m worried about a medical or accident issue with the very difficult terrain. It’s easy to get lost there as well.

This campground is wonderful. I’ve been there and spent many weekends driving over to go tubing there. It’s a pretty busy place even in the wilderness, I’m surprised they haven’t found anything.

But that Gordon is only now reported as missing a week later and we know nothing about circumstances.

He booked the camping site for 2 weeks.

Who else was there? The idea of booking a camp site would be that you keep that as base and return regularly?

Calling as ever @RickshawFan ! I bet you know this park , its hazards, water supplies etc.

But that Gordon is only now reported as missing a week later and we know nothing about circumstances.

He booked the camping site for 2 weeks.

Who else was there? The idea of booking a camp site would be that you keep that as base and return regularly?

Calling as ever @RickshawFan ! I bet you know this park , its hazards, water supplies etc.
In the Smokies it is very common to have a base camp as there is so much to do and so many places to hike.

The campground is closed Oct 30 - Apr 6, so it just opened back up.

Deep Creek Campground - elevation 1,800 feet (549m) - is located next to one of the park's most popular creeks. The camp offers 92 individual sites, all with grills, tables and campfire rings, perfect for a meal or a late-night s'mores session. Hookups and showers are not provided, but flush toilets and drinking water are available. Whether blanketed in bright spring wildflowers or vivid fall colors, the scenery at Deep Creek never disappoints.

AMENITIES
Cell Phone Reception No
Internet Connectivity No
Trash/Recycling Collection Yes,
SeasonalFood Storage Lockers No
Camp Store No
Ice for Sale No
Firewood for Sale No
Staff On Site Yes
Potable Water - Seasonal

TOILET TYPES
Flush Toilets - year round

SHOWER TYPES
None

MAPS:

So I certainly don't doubt that this may be MH related, but it seems unusual for someone in the throes of a MH crisis and/or wanting to end their life to make a 14 day camping reservation. That suggests a level of planning someone acutely mentally ill might not be capable of undertaking. It also, to me, suggests he planned to stay the full 14 days, because if not wouldn't he book just a few days?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeymourMann
Back