NC NC- James 'Eddie' Laws, 21, last heard from payphone, car found weeks later, Asheville, 22 Nov 1980

aThousandYearsWide

Reaction score
Asheville investigators are breathing new life into a 37-year-old cold case -- the disappearance of James Edward Laws, who family members say went by Eddie.

They’re searching for any clues to help determine his whereabouts.

“It's been a long time, and it don't go away,” Laws' sister Cathey Huffman said. “It doesn't go away. You still hurt. You still miss him. Nothing changes for you.”

She said she has a tight-knit family and it wouldn’t have made sense for her brother to just leave all of that behind.

“I hope he's alive. I hope he's somewhere and he's OK. And I hope if he sees me, he knows I want him to come home. I need him,” said Huffman.

She said Laws lived in what is now Pine Valley Mobile Home Park on Sweeten Creek Road. And the last anyone heard from him was when he made his way to the nearby Hot Spot to use a payphone to call his mom.

Huffman said her brother spoke to his mom in what was a normal call. He went missing the next day.

Laws' car was found several weeks later near what is now the Veteran’s Restoration Quarters.

“It was very clean, except for the trunk. And we found the belt to his one of his sweaters. And it being November, it was cold, so we wondered why he didn't have it on. And it looked like someone had vomited in the trunk of the car and possibly have pressed up on the hood,” said Huffman.

Time ticked by with all leads exhausted.

"What can you do? We've prayed all this time, and, for some reason, we still haven't found out what's wrong," Huffman said.

She hopes someone will remember what happened that day and provide information about what happened to her brother, especially now that their mother is getting older and suffering from dementia.

“I would like, before something happens to my mother, and she's almost 80, I would like for her to have some kind of closure about her son, because, although she doesn't remember him all the time, sometimes she still does,” said Huffman.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Asheville Police Department at 828-252-1110.

Asheville police ask for public's help on a nearly 40-year-old case

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Thumbnail

MISSING
Missing Person / NamUs #MP29910 James Edward Laws, Male, White / Caucasian
Date of Last Contact November 22, 1980
Missing From Asheville, North Carolina

Case Information

Demographics
Missing Age 21 Years
Current Age 60 Years
First Name James
Middle Name Edward
Last Name Laws
Nickname/Alias Eddie

Sex Male
Height 6' 0" (72 Inches)
Weight150 lbs
Race / Ethnicity White / Caucasian

Circumstances
Date of Last Contact November 22, 1980
NamUs Case Created August 20, 2015
Last Known Location Map
Location Asheville, North Carolina 28803
County Buncombe County
Missing From Tribal Land--
Primary Residence on Tribal Land--
Circumstances of Disappearance
Last known location of victim was at the trailer he shared with male roommate.
Physical Description
Hair Color Blond/Strawberry
Head Hair Description--
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair Description--
Left Eye Color Blue
Right Eye Color Blue
Eye Description--
Distinctive Physical Features
Item
Description
Scar/mark
appendectomy scar
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

His missing photo reminded me of this Doe found in 1984. The height would have to be off but remains were skeletal and estimated time of death would have to be off as well by a couple years.

893UMNC - Unidentified Male

893UMNC.jpg
893UMNC1.jpg
893UMNC2.jpg

Reconstruction of Victim

Date of Discovery: March 3, 1984
Location of Discovery: Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina
Estimated Date of Death: Approximately 1 year
State of Remains: Skeletal Remains
Cause of Death: Homicide

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 25 - 45 years old
Race: Caucasian
Height: 5' 5 to 5' 9
Weight: 130-160 lbs
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Unknown

893UMNC

His missing photo reminded me of this Doe found in 1984. The height would have to be off but remains were skeletal and estimated time of death would have to be off as well by a couple years.

893UMNC

Listed as identified in 2021, per Namus. No additional details provided.

Mr. Laws last known location to car location, distance is ~ 5 miles.

Asheville Citizen-Times from Asheville, North Carolina - Newspapers.com James got engaged to Debra Kay Young in 1978, when he was 18.

The Asheville Times from Asheville, North Carolina - Newspapers.com - Debra filed for divorce from James in March 1981, so James was married at the time of his disappearance.

His father, Edd Berlin Laws Woodfin died in 2009. Interestingly he worked as a deputy sheriff for Madison County. James is listed as surviving.
Asheville Citizen-Times from Asheville, North Carolina - Newspapers.com

• james_edward_laws_1.jpg
Laws, circa 1980
  • Missing Since 11/22/1980
  • Missing From Asheville, North Carolina
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 08/17/1959 (64)
  • Age 21 years old
  • Height and Weight 6'0, 150 pounds

• Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Blond hair, blue eyes. Laws's nickname is Eddie. He has an appendectomy scar on his abdomen.

Details of Disappearance​

Laws was last seen in Asheville, North Carolina on November 22, 1980. He lived with a roommate in a trailer on Sweeten Creek Road. The day before his disappearance, he used the pay phone at the nearby Hot Spot to call his mother, and they had a normal conversation. He has never been heard from again.

Laws's vehicle was found abandoned at a hotel in Asheville several weeks after his disappearance. It was very clean, except for the trunk.

It looked like someone had vomited in the trunk and possibly pushed on the hood from the inside. The belt to one of Laws's sweaters was also found in the car, but there was no sign of him. His case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency​

• Asheville Police Department 828-259-5970

Source Information​

Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated January 6, 2018; casefile added.

I was actually searching the Namus website last night and shocked by the reminder of the enormous numbers of the missing and unidentified. Many were from so long ago and well before the concept of DNA even existed- an alarm was triggered for me while viewing details on the older cases- certainly hope that necessary actions have been taken to obtain DNA samples of any remaining living relative. It would be heartbreaking if any future discovered remains containing DNA evidence are at risk of not being identified because comparison DNA not available in these much older cases.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greygooose
Back