NC NC - Jenna Nielsen, 22, pregnant, Raleigh, 14 June 2007

I saw that interview too, nan. I thought he was believable except for when NG asked him if she was afraid of that area (IIRC) and he said something to the effect that she really enjoyed her job, and that this was her time away from the family and she liked contributing to the finances this way. :confused:

OK, maybe she's different than I am.....but delivering newspapers at 5 a.m. is not my idea of "me-time".

(I just thought that was kind of strange. I'll try to find the transcript because my memory sucks.)

I have a friend who is just like Jenna was. She LOVES being alone in her car, late at night, driving around. She isn't afraid of anything! My friend doesn't deliver newspapers, she just gets in her car and drives and drives-----so I don't think his answer was unbelievable, I think he was just describing his little night-owl wife.

I remember him saying this. I just thought that it could be true. It is so peaceful in the morning before most people arise. I can see her enjoying her time away. Plus, she was bringing in some money to contribute; and that probably made her feel good.

What I don't understand is why a 22-year-old was having three children. Why not space them out farther? It's not like you have a family with resources here. :confused:

Oh, gee! I had my first three kids in three years. We didn't have a lot of resources back then, either, but we did have a lot of love to share and a desire for a large, closeknit family. Heck, I remember thinking how odd it was that some people spaced their kids out for 3 or 4 years! I'd wonder, don't they want their kids to be best buds? to be interested in the same activities at the same time?? I finally figured it out: it's just a lifestyle difference. A personal preference!

I'm going to edit to add: the sketch of the POI looks just like a female to me from the moment I first saw it. The height and weight just re-enforced that for me, but I guess it could be a little guy. I sure hope that the surveillance cameras were up, operating, and caught a good view of the perp.

Wasn't it also said that the area where this happened was right down the street from a halfway house or drug rehab or something?

Oh, gee! I had my first three kids in three years. We didn't have a lot of resources back then, either, but we did have a lot of love to share and a desire for a large, closeknit family. Heck, I remember thinking how odd it was that some people spaced their kids out for 3 or 4 years! I'd wonder, don't they want their kids to be best buds? to be interested in the same activities at the same time?? I finally figured it out: it's just a lifestyle difference. A personal preference!

That is correct, I had 3 in 4 years, (of course, I'm a 37 year old lady - the clock was ticking!). I know a girl who had 2 before she was 25, she had a family history of uterin, or ovarian cancer (can't remember which) & her docter recommended she have her babies young, & then get a hystorectomy. Some choose to have babies young , while others wait - it is a personal choice.

Nan - Thanks for letting me know. Guess with Jessie, Michelle and Laci I'm just getting used to the fact that the SO is normally the perp. <sigh>

As for the 3 kids so close in age....sometimes "life" happens. Our 3rd baby was a surprise baby. I'm thinking it may have been for her too.

And work as "me time"...I can see it. Especially if she stayed home with the kids. I stay home with our 3 but work on an as needed basis at 2 local hospitals. I joke and say it saves my sanity. But it really does. :crazy:

This is one case I do NOT suspect the husband at all. I also saw the interview on NG or ??? wherever. He was soooo appreciative that the case is now getting nationally recognized. He's hoping the publicity will bring a resolution as to who murdered his wife.

They did locate the weapon, it's a knife. IIRC, it was fairly close to the scene.

Sounds to me like whoever did this may not have even known she was pregnant at the time of the initial attack as she was stabbed in the neck first. She may have rolled her window down to answer someone's question or something.

I know I wouldn't mind doing a job like she did. I love the mornings. It's my favorite time of day. The sun rising, the beginning of a new day.

JMHO
fran

I watched Nancy Grace last night interviewing the husband. I'm not going as far as to say I suspect the husband, however was I the only person that noticed that this man was about 5 foot 3 and around 120 pounds? He obviously was small; he couldn't have weighed more than that. The video footage showed him in a home playing with kids and standing next to another woman, who I perceived to be his wife's sister. He was the same height as the sister. Just an observation I thought was strange.

I am six feet tall and I can tell you that the sister was not a tall woman.

It would also be interesting to know whether the stab wound was in the front or the back of the neck. This could indicate her familiarity with the killer. An unknown person would probably approach her from behind, therefore stabbing her in the front of the neck. A known assailant would have greater access to her, possibly stabbing in the back of the neck since they would be facing her, or even embracing her.

I saw that interview too, nan. I thought he was believable except for when NG asked him if she was afraid of that area (IIRC) and he said something to the effect that she really enjoyed her job, and that this was her time away from the family and she liked contributing to the finances this way. :confused:

OK, maybe she's different than I am.....but delivering newspapers at 5 a.m. is not my idea of "me-time".

(I just thought that was kind of strange. I'll try to find the transcript because my memory sucks.)
I would have liked to have had a job as a paper route person while raising my girls it would have made me feel I was contributing (in our case not neccessary) and still have been with my girls while they were growing up. I even checked into it but did not have the opp.

I don't find it odd that she found her job enjoyable at all. In fact I was a district manager for the old Raleigh afternoon paper years ago. I would have LOVED just to have a rack route like hers. The job is actually pretty easy, and if she loved just driving around then the whole thing makes perfect sense.

It's been years since we lived there, but I know the area well. I found it SO upsetting when I heard this because I can just picture her out there.

That is correct, I had 3 in 4 years, (of course, I'm a 37 year old lady - the clock was ticking!). I know a girl who had 2 before she was 25, she had a family history of uterin, or ovarian cancer (can't remember which) & her docter recommended she have her babies young, & then get a hystorectomy. Some choose to have babies young , while others wait - it is a personal choice.

I had three kids by the time I was 22 yrs and 2 1/2 years later I had my fourth. I'm glad that I had my kids in stair steps. If we would have had to wait until we had the resources to have kids I probably still wouldn't have any. No one did without anything though and they dressed as well as any other kid in school and we had a lot of love in our home too. It is a personal preference. I would in no way want to wait til I was in my 30's or later to have kids.

Somehow I've missed where the POI sketch came from...who saw what and provided the description?

Thanks, fran! I'll keep checking wral (and ws of course) for news.

Family Vows to Change NC Fetal Homicide Laws

RALEIGH, N.C. &#8212; The father and husband of a slain pregnant woman vowed Friday to do everything in their power to change North Carolina's fetal homicide law, which bars prosecutors from seeking double murder charges.

"This is the murder of two human beings," said Kevin Blaine, whose daughter, Jennifer Nielsen, was eight months pregnant when she was killed two weeks ago.

"There's no reason an unborn child shouldn't be recognized in the case of a homicide," he said. Added Nielsen's husband, Tim: "It needs to be changed, and it needs to be changed as soon as possible."

Jennifer Nielsen, 22, was pregnant with her third child when she was found dead behind a Raleigh convenience store in the early morning hours of June 14. Authorities said she had been stabbed in the neck.

No arrests have been made, and her family offered a $10,000 reward Friday for information that leads to the conviction of her killer.

Nielsen had been delivering USA Today to local stores when she was killed. The newspaper published a plea for help shortly after her death, prompting a flood of calls to law enforcement, but police haven't named any suspects.

Although prosecutors cannot seek two murder charges in such cases, the fetus could serve as an aggravating circumstance and allow prosecutors to seek the death penalty.

http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/1546058/

WRAL is really on this case. I hope all the attention helps:

Murdered Mom's Family, Friends Hit The Streets To Find Her
http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/1549050/

On Saturday, 30 volunteers handed out fliers in downtown Raleigh and near the convenience store where Nielsen was found dead. They&#8217;re hoping the personal push will lead to a break in the case.

Nielsen&#8217;s father, Kevin Blaine, walked through the State Farmers Market asking vendors if he could hang posters about his daughter&#8217;s murder.

&#8220;All it&#8217;s going to take is one phone call,&#8221; Blaine said.
(more + pics at link)

WRAL is really on this case. I hope all the attention helps:

Murdered Mom's Family, Friends Hit The Streets To Find Her
http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/1549050/

On Saturday, 30 volunteers handed out fliers in downtown Raleigh and near the convenience store where Nielsen was found dead. They&#8217;re hoping the personal push will lead to a break in the case.

Nielsen&#8217;s father, Kevin Blaine, walked through the State Farmers Market asking vendors if he could hang posters about his daughter&#8217;s murder.

&#8220;All it&#8217;s going to take is one phone call,&#8221; Blaine said.
(more + pics at link)
This is such good news that at least our local media is giving Jenna's murder some attention. There has to be someone who knows something about who the POI is. :(

i heard about this tonight on NG's show...just horrible:(

i also thought the sketch looked like a woman...small man, that's for sure....wonder at what distance, the witness saw this person from?.....

i'm probably in the minority here, but it came close to making me angry at the husband for allowing his 8 month pregnant wife to deliver papers .....ok, i KNOW "allowing" isn't the right word, & maybe Jenna insisted on doing it, but my GOD, why on earth would she want to leave her home at 2:30 am to deliver papers with SO much crime going on.....it's still dark & she'd have to get out of her vehicle to put these papers in the boxes in front of these businesses......just a horrible job for a young pregnant woman to be doing in the wee hours of the morning, IMO......

i hope they find the person that did this!!

I had the same thoughts close enough. I wouldn't want to do that job alone in the wee hours of the morning, pregnant or not.

I watched Nancy Grace last night interviewing the husband. I'm not going as far as to say I suspect the husband, however was I the only person that noticed that this man was about 5 foot 3 and around 120 pounds? He obviously was small; he couldn't have weighed more than that. The video footage showed him in a home playing with kids and standing next to another woman, who I perceived to be his wife's sister. He was the same height as the sister. Just an observation I thought was strange.

I am six feet tall and I can tell you that the sister was not a tall woman.

It would also be interesting to know whether the stab wound was in the front or the back of the neck. This could indicate her familiarity with the killer. An unknown person would probably approach her from behind, therefore stabbing her in the front of the neck. A known assailant would have greater access to her, possibly stabbing in the back of the neck since they would be facing her, or even embracing her.

I also hate to think it's the husband but I noticed a few things, too. Not only body size similar to the composite description. Am I hallucinating or did anyone else see the camera zoom in on his forearm at one of the press conferences, and it looked like he has big tattooed letters on his forearm? Like a gang member? Hmmmm.

The more he says, the more I wonder about him. Why is he so adamant that the killing wasn't random, but that the murderer "had a reason for being there"?

In a picture of Tim with Jenna and their kids, he looks VERY stressed or unhappy--something wrong there. It doesn't make him a killer, but ya gotta wonder.

You are right, the stab wounds could indicate if the assailant was known to her and thus had easier access to her (that sounds so awful, sorry). It occurred to me that the murderer might have been hired (although with their money situation that might have been impossible). The murderer might have been the person to provide the "composite" to the police, and invented a composite which looks like a blend of Jenna and Tim out of his imagination or subconscious. I do wonder where the composite came from.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Champ86
Back