NC - Kathy Taft, 62, Raleigh, 6 March 2010 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
crocus posted DH's driving record yesterday.
The DWI disposition date was 4-16-04 (within 5 years)
It is unclear if she was even convicted.

"you generally will be required to install an ignition interlock device on your car if your BAC is 0.15 percent or higher or if this is your second or subsequent conviction. The devise stays in the car for a period of 1 year after driving privileges are reinstated."

Unless she had another more recent DWI we don't know about, there should not have been a iid installed.

Pamlico County
Offense Date: 05/23/2003
Initial charge: DRIVING WHILE IMPAIRED; Arraigned: DRIVING WHILE IMPAIRED
Disposition:JUDGE
Disposition Date:04/16/2004

Pamlico County
Offense Date: 05/23/2003
Initial charge: FAILURE TO REDUCE SPEED; Arraigned:FAILURE TO REDUCE SPEED;
Disposition: DISMISSAL WITHOUT LEAVE BY DA
Disposition Date:04/16/2004

The sites I looked at stress that you can obtain them for voluntary use, even if the courts don't require it, such as for teens or people who are on your insurance that are problem drinkers. I don't know that D is, but it is in the realm of possiblity. Some people who drink don't know how to give up the keys. A good incentive would be the device.

I apologize right up front; I am not sophisticated at posting pictures, much less a whole group of them.

I recently took these pictures to give those who haven't been in the area an idea of what we're talking about. I've included my observations. To you Very Locals, please comment and correct if I haven't captured it all.

1. To the left and back of GG there are metal steps leading up the hill.
2. View from the bottom of the metal steps looking out on the shopping center.
3. After the metal steps, there are some concrete steps leading up to an asphalt path/driveway. Once you reach the asphalt path, turn left and go about 20' to get on Cartier Dr. Or, turn right and follow the path. Personally, if I took this route, I would probably turn left and head out onto the street. JG's house would not have been far away.
4. Turning right to follow the asphalt path.
5. House at the end of the path. I did not go further because of fear of trespassing. However, I believe JG's house is just to the right of this house. I imagine a dirt path may lead to his house and the other houses on the street from this point.

Now this is a very wooded, dark route. No lights. Can't say how it would have been in March, but by late afternoon I think it would be getting dark.

Also, because of the terrain, it is possible that someone could go to the right of GG, walk across some grass and be right in front of the house next door to JG's (the one in the picture). Then possibly down the dirt path. Potentially a more likely way to get there?

I have more pictures to post soon.

Attachments

• 1Metal_steps.jpg
    1Metal_steps.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 2Bottom_of_steps.jpg
    2Bottom_of_steps.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 42
  • 3Concrete_steps.jpg
    3Concrete_steps.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 4asphalt_path.jpg
    4asphalt_path.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 4House_at_end_of_path.jpg
    4House_at_end_of_path.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 42
IMO, if there was such a device in her vehicle, it would have showed up on the search warrant list as one of the items taken. Wouldn't it?

I'm a new poster on WS. have been watching this site since finding it online. have met K long ago & have friends who knew her -so interested watching all the theories. IMO my theory is this .. think it's probable that.......it is a mixture of theories
--D went out to get groceries, ended up drinking at GG, picked someone up from GG or could have even been HT parking lot when keys locked inside & needing help -& brought this perp home from either- partied well into the night either leaving car at HT or driving it home. either doesn't matter & time line here wouldn't matter exactly if one of these following happened:
1-D could have come home on (foot /or car) w perp...(earlier or later) after a (few toddys or many).... then checks nominally on K when coming in or after partying for a few hours at the house (either)..... then parties until passed out (baggies & beer bottles) possibly using Ks recovering drug stash - so we are talking here possibly an almost lethal mixture...alcohol,Crk or M(baggies) &/or who knows could have been slipped the date rape drug by perp?? mixture here of all or some?? enough to put one into a drug induced stupor & pass out.(D) whois already inclined to being in that stupor anyway.
2--so perp whomD brings home from HT or GG /or follows her home/or who is there when she comes home... either parties w/her- then party eventually turns into more --Sex drugs & rock & roll. D in a stupor & eventually passing out. Perp then finishing off K taking a whak & a snak(rape) & stealing car keys then driving D's car from front driveway off to HT (back to his car).... & takes off. blowing out of there...gone forever. No cameras in parking lot thus nothing captured on camera. Perp gets away scot free. leaving D holding the bag. (no memory of anything)so---that would explain why groggy foggy spacey D - when calling 911 thought &said her car was in the driveway & seemed to not really "get" what had just happened to K. then as her head eventually began to clear-- began to realize little by little what the perp she invited in had done. that is when she began to talk to paramedics & hospital sayin' - "could have been raped" , "may have possibly seen someone...."
- that would also explain why LE looked for perp & found camera footage inside one of the locations near where the car was left (either that eve or next morning)

Welcome! The thought that the "guest" took D's car crossed my mind, too.

Diphi - your pics are great!! I get a better sense of the area now. :thumb:

Sunset for March 6 was at about 6:20 pm.
(Just for reference: March 14th we set the clocks ahead 1 hr)

RALEIGH (WTVD) -- As police investigate the murder of a State Board of Education member, it appears Kathy Taft' sister is not the focus of the investigation.

Related Photos

Kathy Taft case
View all 29 photos
Authorities say someone sexually assaulted and beat 62-year-old Taft to death inside a home on Cartier Lane in Raleigh in the late hours of March 5 or the early morning hours of March 6.
The only person in the house other than Taft, according to court records, was her sister Dina Holton.

Holton discovered Taft unresponsive the morning of March 6 and called 911. During the call, she had a conversation with the dispatcher that has raised some questions.

911 Dispatcher: "Is that a house or an apartment?"
Holton: "It's a house. My black Durango is in front of it."
However, in a search warrant of Holton's car police wrote, "& it was learned that her (Holton) personal vehicle was parked approximately one block away at the Harris Teeter. Ms. Holton advised that she had locked her keys in this vehicle earlier and had left it at this location."
Holton says she forgot her car was still at the Harris Teeter in the panic over her sister.

She tells ABC11 Eyewitness News that police interviewed her at length and have informed her she is no longer a suspect.

Sources close to the case say Holton is essentially right, although no one can be completely eliminated as a suspect at this point in the investigation.

They say that is also the case with John Geil, the man who owns the house on Cartier Drive were the incident took place, and was once Taft's boyfriend.

Related Content
STORY: New details in Taft murder emerge
STORY: Taft children tearfully accept SBOE honor
STORY: Police ask men near Taft crime scene for DNA
Holton and another one of Taft's family members also tell ABC11 that Raleigh police have retrieved DNA samples from all the men in Taft's family, as well as her male acquaintances.
ABC11 reported last week that according to sources, police have DNA that they think may belong to the killer and it appears they do not have any positive matches from the family, friends, neighbors, nor the national criminal data bases.

Taft, who lived in Greenville, served on the State School Board for 15 years - the longest tenure of any current member. She also ran unsuccessfully for a state Senate seat in 2008. Prior to that, she served on the the Pitt County Board of Education. She was divorced from former state Senator Tom Taft, and had four children.

Taft's family is offering a $25,000 reward for anyone who provides information leading to the arrest and conviction of the perpetrator of the crime. Anyone with information that might help police detectives is asked to call Raleigh Crime Stoppers at 919-834-HELP.

Well there you have it folks....Thanks raleighrez.
Goes hand in hand with KT's daughter saying she thinks the crime was random

"Holton says she forgot her car was still at the Harris Teeter in the panic over her sister.

She tells ABC11 Eyewitness News that police interviewed her at length and have informed her she is no longer a suspect.

Sources close to the case say Holton is essentially right, although no one can be completely eliminated as a suspect at this point in the investigation.

They say that is also the case with John Geil, the man who owns the house on Cartier Drive were the incident took place, and was once Taft's boyfriend.

I concur with Susubaby's theory - post 578 on #2. Makes the most reasonable sense.

Imagine if DH had just thought to tell RPD that the durango had been stolen when questioned, speculation would be of a different nature.

I'm not trying to run this in the ground, but unless LE knows who did it and how, then how do they know who was not involved? Maybe they know much more that does explain the hinky things about D. Perhaps she was just very unlucky that night. If she's innocent, she's innocent. I would still like to undertand the odd stuff.

She says that authorities have told her she is not a suspect. Okay. Of course, we know that LE is prohibited from misleading a suspect. They would never tell them anything about the investigation that was not one hundred percent accurate. Right?

Oh, I thought someone posted that D was admitted into care somewhere for anxiety. Now she calls ABC news to make a statement? Maybe we will see the story featured on Prime Time. That could perhaps get some leads on this.

I think Dateline already has a feature on their site.

D could have had more than one guest... D could have left someone in the house and went out again.

I concur with Susubaby's theory - post 578 on #2. Makes the most reasonable sense.

Imagine if DH had just thought to tell RPD that the durango had been stolen when questioned, speculation would be of a different nature.

Sorry, but a drug crazed "guest" stealing the car after D passed out and driving it around the block does not work for me at all. How would this person have gotten to Glenwood Village in the first place? Running out the door back to the parking lot to his car would be the logical thing, if the 'guest theory' works.

As for running out of gas...if she parked at 11PM with the car running, the car would run not be close to empty unless she was low to start with.

'"the conservative estimate of the Ohio Air Quality Development Authority, which states that the average idling car consumes about 0.156 gallons of gas per hour."

http://triangleairawareness.org/?p=228

However, in a search warrant of Holton's car police wrote, "& it was learned that her (Holton) personal vehicle was parked approximately one block away at the Harris Teeter. Ms. Holton advised that she had locked her keys in this vehicle earlier and had left it at this location."
Holton says she forgot her car was still at the Harris Teeter in the panic over her sister.

I can understand being in a panic over her sister and forgetting about her vehicle being at HT.

But how did she explain that it was left running, and that she didn't call for any help from LE or someone else (there are 24 hr locksmiths) to help get it open the afternoon/night before when it happened??

I'm not looking for her to be the guilty one, but geez....this part of the story is crazy. IMO

deleted post

Saw Crocus post above in which sister said she forgot her car was at HT.

I want to know whether the car was running ... and how she is going to explain that one. There is no way I'd leave my car running and not call AAA.

Sorry, but a drug crazed "guest" stealing the car after D passed out and driving it around the block does not work for me at all. How would this person have gotten to Glenwood Village in the first place? Running out the door back to the parking lot to his car would be the logical thing, if the 'guest theory' works.

As for running out of gas...if she parked at 11PM with the car running, the car would run not be close to empty unless she was low to start with.

'"the conservative estimate of the Ohio Air Quality Development Authority, which states that the average idling car consumes about 0.156 gallons of gas per hour."

http://triangleairawareness.org/?p=228

LE has 2 receipts for HT, right? Has there been info released as to the time stamp on these receipts?

I'm not trying to run this in the ground, but unless LE knows who did it and how, then how do they know who was not involved? Maybe they know much more that does explain the hinky things about D. Perhaps she was just very unlucky that night. If she's innocent, she's innocent. I would still like to undertand the odd stuff.

She says that authorities have told her she is not a suspect. Okay. Of course, we know that LE is prohibited from misleading a suspect. They would never tell them anything about the investigation that was not one hundred percent accurate. Right?

Oh, I thought someone posted that D was admitted into care somewhere for anxiety. Now she calls ABC news to make a statement? Maybe we will see the story featured on Prime Time. That could perhaps get some leads on this.

As we all know, the cops look at the closest people to the victim first...the sister, JG, TT, children, ect. Sounds like D was a person of interest in the early days and based on her statement and WTVD's sources, it appears she was cleared as the perpetrator (most likely when they found unknown male DNA in/on KT). Don't forget KT's daughter said this weekend she thinks it was random. If D had an invited "guest" back to the house for drugs and drinking, such a person would not be labeled as "random".
Also, rest assured there would be a detailed description of such a man broadcast all over if the cops were unsure of his identity.

I can understand being in a panic over her sister and forgetting about her vehicle being at HT.

But how did she explain that it was left running, and that she didn't call for any help from LE or someone else (there are 24 hr locksmiths) to help get it open the afternoon/night before when it happened??

I'm not looking for her to be the guilty one, but geez....this part of the story is crazy. IMO

If she walked out of the bar at 2am and noticed the car locked and running, i'm sure she would just walk up the hill to the house and thought she would deal with it Sat am. Calling a locksmith at 2am, knowing the car was safely locked is what I would have done either....especially if I had been drinking a good bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PCook77